Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible Anti-Aliasing anything I can do?

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i found this video over at the official forums and this person is having same problem as me anyone know anyway to get rid of this horrible aliasing? I tried fxaa, tried over-riding MSAA and CSAA through nvidia contorl panel, tried all kinds of transparency AA. Nothing gets rid of this shimmering and its all over the place on every fence, every window, pretty much every straight horizontal surface its really driving me insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ofxhjn4m1E

watch in 1080p

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Not to discount what you experience in-game or what you think of it but that video only looks to me like every other poorly compressed video on youtube.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grunty

Not to discount what you experience in-game or what you think of it but that video only looks to me like every other poorly compressed video on youtube.

video aside the issue i'm having exists. I have no issues with AA in other MMOs such as TERA or SWTOR back when I played those. I have no AA issues with single player games but this one I can't find any AA that works

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TraviksTraviks Member CommonPosts: 32

Can you give more details? What graphic card do you have? At what resolution you play?

All I can say is that, I'm playing in 1080 with HQ FXAA and not notice any problem. without HQ either. Needless to say that looks fantastic with TXAA.

Originally posted by Traviks

Can you give more details? What graphic card do you have? At what resolution you play?

All I can say is that, I'm playing in 1080 with HQ FXAA and not notice any problem. without HQ either. Needless to say that looks fantastic with TXAA.

560TI in SLI running at 1920x1080P

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

i find it strange personally, i'm using FXAA HQ in ultra with basically everything turned up full (not trying to brag, just explaining my graphical setup for the game) and have nothing like that.. to be honest the game looks fairly amazing and thats a fairly big thing for me to say considering up until the recent beta weekend just gone.. i wasnt going to play the game at all.

i7 2600k

8gb g.skill ripjaws

2GB Gainward GTX 560Ti - 1920 x 1080

Originally posted by Aerowyn

try disabling SLi and just run a single card.. sounds stupid but sometimes it can be bad in games not optimized for it

Did you installed the latest drivers? 

Changes, restart, test ... Your problem is VERY weird :/

I'm with a GTX 670 but before I've played with 1 560 gtx and had no problems with the AA

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

I'll be honest, I watched that video 10 times and am not seeing the problem. Can you point out the worst thing in the video?

I saw some AF issues, not sure if the person has AF off/low.

Make sure you're at a native resolution for your monitor, or at the very least the correct aspect ratio. Make sure you're not windowed, there may be an issue with AA in windowed mode.

Make sure drivers are up to date, and try taking it out of SLI mode as suggested.

Originally posted by mbrodie

try disabling SLi and just run a single card.. sounds stupid but sometimes it can be bad in games not optimized for it

tried without SLI also tried swapping cards to differn't slots and same thing in every configuration

I'm with a GTX 670 but before I've played with 1 560 gtx and had no problems with the AA

so is TXAA really good dont mean to hijack, but i been looking at getting a GTX680 :)

got the latest drivers, also tried rolling back to pre 300 series drivers and didn't change anything

Originally posted by Keyh

I'll be honest, I watched that video 10 times and am not seeing the problem. Can you point out the worst thing in the video?

I saw some AF issues, not sure if the person has AF off/low.

Make sure you're at a native resolution for your monitor, or at the very least the correct aspect ratio. Make sure you're not windowed, there may be an issue with AA in windowed mode.

Make sure drivers are up to date, and try taking it out of SLI mode as suggested.

tried all that.. it is more of a AF issue... since its the shimmering effect on the fence and all the straight edges. AF is at 16x but no matter what its set at that doesn't help it. Tried clamping the LOD bias still same thing.. 

so is TXAA really good dont mean to hijack, but i been looking at getting a GTX680 :)

Not much difference between a GTX 670 OC and 680, not at least to pay 100$  more :P

So for the OP. Contact with TSW support, at TSW forum :/.  This should not happen. You can always reinstall the game .... 

Not much difference between a GTX 670 OC and 680, not at least to pay 100$  more :P

So for the OP. Contact with TSW support, at TSW forum :/.  This should not happen. You can always reinstall the game .... 

there is when you gonna run nvidia surround :P

What about your in-game graphics options? What is your lighting set at? I'm assuming you're running in Dx11? If you post your exact in-game settings, we can try to see if we can recreate it at least.

Have you double checked and made sure you're not doing any AA/AF through the Nvidia control panel (both in the Globla, and Program specific settings)? I know you said you messed around in there after the fact, but it may be worth double checking.

Also, have you made sure you're not running any sort of overlay program (just in case), e.g. Xfire, Fraps, Steam Overlay, etc?

What about your in-game graphics options? What is your lighting set at? I'm assuming you're running in Dx11? If you post your exact in-game settings, we can try to see if we can recreate it at least.

Have you double checked and made sure you're not doing any AA/AF through the Nvidia control panel (both in the Globla, and Program specific settings)? I know you said you messed around in there after the fact, but it may be worth double checking.

Also, have you made sure you're not running any sort of overlay program (just in case), e.g. Xfire, Fraps, Steam Overlay, etc?

no overlay software, in game settings at ultra, fxaa tried both regular and HQ everything else off. Tried it at each graphical setting though. Turned all nvidia options to application-controlled. I have tried dx11 and dx9 clients same thing on both

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

no overlay software, in game settings at ultra, fxaa tried both regular and HQ everything else off. Tried it at each graphical setting though. Turned all nvidia options to application-controlled. I have tried dx11 and dx9 clients same thing on both

Did you try to turn V-sync off?

Originally posted by AdamTM

yup tried vsync on/off tried the new adaptive setting.. I tried my second monitor hooked up just in case still same thing

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Aerowyn                yup tried vsync on/off tried the new adaptive setting.. I tried my second monitor hooked up just in case still same thing

that's interesting.  Granted I only tried the beta for about 20 mins so I didn't really get real fickle with the gfx, but I have never had a problem with this.  Don't get me wrong, you seem to have exhausted all options.

With any other game, I had to either put hardware settings at app default and run it in-game, or the exact opposite.  But always, one or the other would work.

I just skimmed the replies, something I don't usually do mind you, but if it hasn't been suggested yet, go thru the driver archives and get some older drivers to try.  There's no telling what drivers they have been using on a reg. basis to test the game in-house.

Before you do that, get Driver Sweeper from guru3d dot com and sweep your system of all video files first.  Always a good idea, but especially when going backward.

Other than that, I have nothing to add.  Best of luck though.  I hope they either figure it out on their end or something happens to your benefit in another way.

yup tried vsync on/off tried the new adaptive setting.. I tried my second monitor hooked up just in case still same thing

Do you get this problem at lower settings too?

I.e. turn everything off except for AA and slowly start enabling things again and see when the problem appears.

Originally posted by Acidon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn                yup tried vsync on/off tried the new adaptive setting.. I tried my second monitor hooked up just in case still same thing

that's interesting.  Granted I only tried the beta for about 20 mins so I didn't really get real fickle with the gfx, but I have never had a problem with this.  Don't get me wrong, you seem to have exhausted all options.

With any other game, I had to either put hardware settings at app default and run it in-game, or the exact opposite.  But always, one or the other would work.

I just skimmed the replies, something I don't usually do mind you, but if it hasn't been suggested yet, go thru the driver archives and get some older drivers to try.  There's no telling what drivers they have been using on a reg. basis to test the game in-house.

Before you do that, get Driver Sweeper from guru3d dot com and sweep your system of all video files first.  Always a good idea, but especially when going backward.

Other than that, I have nothing to add.  Best of luck though.  I hope they either figure it out on their end or something happens to your benefit in another way.

tried the old 200 series drivers the latest certified 300 series driver and the brand new 300 series beta driver all no dice... I'm re-downloading the client now since I really can't think of anything else...

I.e. turn everything off except for AA and slowly start enabling things again and see when the problem appears.

yea issue is at all settings low to ultra

yea issue is at all settings low to ultra

Because what im suspecting is that it might actually be an optical illusion and not an AA issue per se.

This is supported by using both DX9 and DX11. If it was a driver/engine-issue this should give you different results.

The drivers call the DX libraries, if it would be an AA issue different DX settings should give you different results as it calls different libraries to render AA.

I'm not perfectly fluent on the DX architecture but I think that having the same problem on all AA renders is an indicator that it either goes beyond the engine or that its not there at all and is just an optical illusion.

The video is not helpful because its a badly compressed mess.

Can you capture a new video that is fullscreen. you could also try a one second series of screenshots at your FPS 100% quality JPGs so we can see what you are talking about.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

I know this is a very long-shot, and one you may not even like to answer.. But are you Aerowyn from EQ1 back in the day?

Sorry for being off-topic.    image

Sounds like you tested pretty extensively. Not sure what else to do.

It could be install related (though, I doubt it), you could try reinstalling the game.

Just pulling stuff out of my ass now, you may want to also try:

1. Running as administrator

2. Running in Compatibility mode

3. Killing every non-essential process

Do you know if this occurs in AoC as well? Could point to some sort of engine specific issue (and you can see if there are fixes for it for AoC that work for TSW).