Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: The Besieged Farmlands

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has teamed up with MMORPG.com to bring our readers exclusive first information about some of the locations that players will find in The Secret World. Today we bring you The Besieged Farmlands, a location deep in the Carpathian Mountains. Read on to see what you'll discover there.

Here there was an understanding between man and the supernatural, but times have violently changed. The players arrive to find the valley a battleground, wreathed in ominous smoke, fields trampled to mud. An army of vampires has descended on Harbaburesti, and the siege has turned to a bitter guerilla war among gutted farms and abandoned Soviet factory towns.

Read more The Secret World: The Besieged Farmlands.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

cool, wonder if we can impale ppl?

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I am getting really curious to how the area is going to play compared to for instance Kingsmouth that's made of awesome. I am hoping for a bit more advanced mobs and the same good quests. ;)

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72

Looks like a very nice area!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Rightlov

Looks like a very nice area!

As far as atmosphere is concerned, TSW does one of the best jobs I've seen in fitting atmosphere to the genre/IP.  While it's not particularly "scary", it does provide a mood that fits the subject matter.

The stories overall are also very well done, probably the best of the MMOs that have recently focused on providing story-based content.

I'm also looking forward to seeing this area when the game releases.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Looks very interesting. Can't wait for this to finish installing so I can give it a try.

Smile

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Can't wait to visit this region. It sounds exciting.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Good jokes in there too, especially Tim Russ' dialogue.
  • werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

I just started playing today and combat and settings are nice! But the quests are again a chore. I am not sure I can play it for the quests - will try combat only.

http://werewood.wordpress.com/

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by werewood

I just started playing today and combat and settings are nice! But the quests are again a chore. I am not sure I can play it for the quests - will try combat only.

http://werewood.wordpress.com/

well tho i am usually against quests (like sandbox gameplay a lot more), i actually like quests in TSW. besides usual are there are also quests like "go through the electronically or by people guarded area (which means you have to avoid being seen) and achieve something (explore, acquire item, switch off something etc.)" and especially the investigation quests, where you get only soem clue to start with and rest is up to you.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I can't see how people think quests like the Kingsmouth Code (an investigation quest) is a chore.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Blackbrrd
    I can't see how people think quests like the Kingsmouth Code (an investigation quest) is a chore.

Some gamers don't want to put any thought into their pasttimes- just pew pew pew. It's a sign of the times.

• GhostspeakerGhostspeaker Member UncommonPosts: 1

There really needs to be a raid in an abandoned nuclear power plant.

This must happen!! Search your feelings, Funcom, you know it to be true!

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    Originally posted by pierth

Some gamers don't want to put any thought into their pasttimes- just pew pew pew. It's a sign of the times.

Not really a sign of the times. This has been true since the dawn of time. Its more just a personal preference sort of thing such as Football versus baseball etc.

Different people enjoy differents things.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Maelkor
    Originally posted by pierth

Not really a sign of the times. This has been true since the dawn of time. Its more just a personal preference sort of thing such as Football versus baseball etc.

Different people enjoy differents things.

Also some of the investigation quests are just plain tedious and vague, very frustrating, and there are no small percentage of people who play their games for fun, not as work, not to deal with frustration as real life has already got that.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I've thoroughly enjoyed the quests in the last 2 beta's..  I think a highlight for me was getting the access code for the doctors computer in Kingsmouth....  Having to research online is a breath of fresh air.

Really looking forward to release as I have held off advancing my character and seeing too much so its all fresh and mysterious on release.

Bring on July !!!

My new rig will have arrived just in time.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @Saker

Well said bro... I for one found the investigation quest COOL, cool in the sense that they want you to search on the net for answers and tips etc... but for me they are not FUN, life already is tedious, and here you have game that's adding unto that, Pfft... If they wanted puzzle solving quest they could have done it differently..

Otherwise the game has been cool so far, crafting could use a better tutorial, as most still don't get it..

this game better be F2P with sub model option, because I don't see most returning after cap.. This is a thinking Mmo of some short and it won't appeal to a very large group..

Heck in the ToS, it even say you can be banned for telling others the answer of quests, I mean seriously, WTH..
    What do you mean by cap? Filling out the skill wheel is over 10,000 "levels".
    The tos states, you get banned for telling quest solutions on general chat. I agree with this. There is nothing in the tos preventing you from /tell answers or these answers being on websites. Players should get warnings / bans etc.. for spoiling the fun of players that want to work things out for themselves.
  • matherynmatheryn Member Posts: 4

Just a FYI to all readers i work in the Legal industry and have taken a copy of the TOS from the TSW website to my firm and have had them look it over aswell - apart from a few discrepancies within the TOS that i will not go into there is absolutly no mention of any terminationansuspension of any accounts due to answering any question within the game in any communication instance IE if you answer a quest question in general chat which is viewed as a spoiler by others there will be no reprecusions according to the TOS.

Under the EULA act and the current TSW TOS they may allow the censorship of profanity and descrimination but may not censor your rights to free speech so answering a question about a quest out loud cannot be punished otherwise they are breaching several laws causing there legal department to have to work overtime.

I would STRONGLY suggest anyone that does not like hearing spoilers to either remove themselve from the chat of where they have noticed spoilers being given or POLITELY wisper the person and ask them kindly not to advertive spoilers in general chat. 

Remember you are not in control of this game and thus have no real power over what others may and may not do within the game so demanding them or verbally assulting them for something you do not agree with is inturn going against the TOS and instead of them getting there accounts removed you may accually find you are in the hot water.

TSW has kindly given several communication rooms to communicate with the populous IE PlayerHelp, General, Group, Dragon, Templar, Illuminati ect ect so if you find that one channel is not to your liking due to others enacting their rights to free speech then perhaps leaving that channel and joining another would be the best course of action.

Just some Food For Thought.

• matherynmatheryn Member Posts: 4

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

you arent forced to take investigation missions :P you can always do other regular quest haha :P

• sodabreadsodabread Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

• sodabreadsodabread Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Where the hell did you get 10,000? Seriously? Do you normally use your sphincter as a pair of lips? The exact "level" you need to "reach" is roughly 3,500. And over the course of two lesiurely days in the last beta weekend, I "gained" 80 "levels". To clarify, I didn't rush through the game or try to accrue experience as quickly as possible. I played maybe 4-6 hours every day for two days. If I could achieve 80 "levels" in that amount of time, 3,500 seems relatively modest. It'd probably take a person two months of incessant grinding to get every ability.