Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: E3 2012 'Version 2.0' Interview with Naoki Yoshida

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Am I excited again by FFXIV?

You damn right I am!

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

The biggest thing I miss about XI is the game world feels dangerous when you're in a group without a tank (don't worry, it felt dangerous to tanks too).

XIV only made me nervous when I was in zones with mobs that could one-shot me. (Some quests have you sneaking through such zones).

I miss a real group play game. Til the latest expansions, XI was a game where you were meant to team up from about level 10 on.

XIV just saw grouping as a means to gain faster exp.. it didn't really make you want to group though.

One of the sweetest experience I ever had in XI (on multiple occasions) were compliments from foreign-language players like

{Mega Boss} {Impossible to gauge} / {main} {Provoke} {Impossible to gauge}++.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Deathofsage

I meant that the person that wrote this article said they hadn't played XIV and shied away from it in part due to its similarities to XI.

A large portion of XIV's players tried the game hoping for the best of XI.

Without playing the game, that person doesn't know XIV's weakenesses beyond the "everyone knows XIV sucks".

As a for-instance. I enjoyed Behest in the current incarnation. If you're doing guildleves, or just grinding solo or with one or two others, you can try to stay near the npc camps or gates and talk to npc's on half-hour intervals for a sort of free guildleve that gives you a chunk of experience in a fashion very similar to a guild leve.

It makes it easier for a solo player to gain experience. Especially at lower levels, where many felt using their leves was a "waste".

While it's true I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Final Fantasy XIV (I am familiar with many of the game's more obvious and highly publicized shortcomings, however!), my job on this particular assignment was to find out what Square was planning to do with FFXIV for the game's relaunch. I got you guys the information, how you feel about that information is up to you. My experience with the game isn't too relevant in this regard.

This wasn't really an opinion piece, though I did note a few things offhand that sounded interesting to me.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Why does everyone keep talking about XI? This game will only be similar in that it follows the IP and art style.

And what a superb art style it is.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Why does everyone keep talking about XI? This game will only be similar in that it follows the IP and art style.

There in lies the problem.  FFXI was an amazing game, and you can tell just by the amount of comments about it on this forum here and there.  The 300k or so subscribers to the game were the same group for 7 years.  It wasn't like you had a 2-3 month turn around.  The people who played it want a replacement after they ruined it with abyssea.

Originally posted by tollbooth

It's unfortunate you didn't try ffxi.  I think most people who played it long enough to get a character to 75 would agree it's one of the best mmo's ever.  The fact it's not going to be like ffxi is about the biggest turn-off they could market.

I have two friends that literally have like a year+ /played on their accounts (each!) who also spent many years inundating me with what they were doing in FFXI. I'm not going to get into the whole spiel of why I wasn't interested with FFXI as I don't want to risk derailing this topic, but to me it didn't sound (or look) like Final Fantasy, which according to Yoshida, appears to be a widespread issue amongst Final Fantasy fans uninterested in both FF MMOs.

Based on my conversation with Yoshida at E3, I'm still not sold on Final Fantasy XIV, but I intend to actively watch the process leading up to the relaunch and perhaps even try it out if they can sell me on it between now and then. Let's see what they have to show us later this summer!

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

There in lies the problem.  FFXI was an amazing game, and you can tell just by the amount of comments about it on this forum here and there.  The 300k or so subscribers to the game were the same group for 7 years.  It wasn't like you had a 2-3 month turn around.  The people who played it want a replacement after they ruined it with abyssea.

This and XI's graphics have aged soooo poorly.

Newer NVIDIA cards seem to have real backwards-compaitibility issues with that game as well. I read of several instances where people were so loyal to the game they were using older machines just to play it.

It could easily take two months to go 1-75 the first time, with level-break missions and leveling a sub and having to trek to new locations.

Abyssea changed that so you could go 1-90 with at least one sub in 3 days if you had a friend helping.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

It could easily take two months to go 1-75 the first time, with level-break missions and leveling a sub and having to trek to new locations.

Abyssea changed that so you could go 1-90 with at least one sub in 3 days if you had a friend helping.

Hell, it took me 8 months to hit 75 on my first job back in '04.

For XIV, I'm willing to give it a shot again but the gameplay must be vastly improved.  I haven't seen anything that tells me SE understands fluid combat, but i'm hoping to be surprised.

The people who played it want a replacement after they ruined it with abyssea.

You aren't entitled to anything.

Originally posted by Alders

For XIV, I'm willing to give it a shot again but the gameplay must be vastly improved.  I haven't seen anything that tells me SE understands fluid combat, but i'm hoping to be surprised.

Completely replacing the engine that limits pretty much everything outside algorithms they can do with the combat would be the first obvious clue...

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I played FFXI for 3 years and FFXIV (on and off).  I've probably logged about a year of FFXIV.

I enjoyed the interview immensely.  I liked that the interviewer was not familiar with FFXIV and asked questions that someone who knows nothing of FFXIV, or very little.  SE is trying to get the people back that either never tried after the horrible reviews, or quit within weeks of the initial launch.

I think SE prefered this type of interview compared to the "in depth, nitty gritty" questions asked by the other websites.  I think we need both types of interviews... and again, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. 

If a friend, knowing nothing about FFXIV 2.0, wanted more information, I would point them to this article.

Good job.

Originally posted by ZizouX

I played FFXI for 3 years and FFXIV (on and off).  I've probably logged about a year of FFXIV.

I enjoyed the interview immensely.  I liked that the interviewer was not familiar with FFXIV and asked questions that someone who knows nothing of FFXIV, or very little.  SE is trying to get the people back that either never tried after the horrible reviews, or quit within weeks of the initial launch.

I think SE prefered this type of interview compared to the "in depth, nitty gritty" questions asked by the other websites.  I think we need both types of interviews... and again, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. 

If a friend, knowing nothing about FFXIV 2.0, wanted more information, I would point them to this article.

Good job.

Thanks for the kind words. And I agree, I think my inexperience with the game was oddly beneficial for this particular interview.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Cybermank

You shouldn't write an article about and evaluate with 5.1 a game that, as you said, you've never played.

Comments like these make me look for a Like link.

I did not write our FF14 review, so I'm not sure what you two are trying to get at here. :)

You beat me to it, I was just getting tready to type that you weren't the author of the Review.  

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Alders

Completely replacing the engine that limits pretty much everything outside algorithms they can do with the combat would be the first obvious clue...

With SE, until i see it, it's only a pipe dream.

• LuxatriaLuxatria Member Posts: 25

I started playing a few days ago and I just love it. Yeah it has some current issues but it's an addictive game and 2.0 is going to be amazing.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

lol srew it...im b/t games right now...gonna reload this..hopefully patching will allow me to play a little before i have to go night night

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

@apocoluster..

Let us know what you think and how the game has changed for you (better or worse).

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

FFXIV has definitely come a long way. I've been back playing for about 2 months now, and it's the only game that I've played this long and there is no end sight of things to do. Plus with 2.0 this fall, I'm thinking GW2 will be collecting dust while I play FFXIV. 

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Since when could you make male miqo-te. I remember long ago it was just female only. Seems this game has changed a ton from when it came out. I guess when 2.0 comes out I will give it a shot. Nothing looks the same as I remember in beta.

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142

It'll be a completely different game. As it is now it's way different. Give it a shot. I'm with Jimmydean. My gw2 will be collecting dust with his.

• IkkeiIkkei Member Posts: 169

Sounds interesting. I played XIV in beta, and wasn't sold enough. Too much promise undelivered, too many fatal flaws. But it seems Yoshida has done the job with the right vision in mind. In hoping he did a good job… 

To add on the off-topic at hand, I too find it was interesting that the author of the interview did not know much of the game.

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100

So it will be an update (A big one I guess) or they will also relaunch the physical game client? Does anyone know?

Because I'm thinking to buy the game right now and I'm guessing that when the day comes, I will have to upgrade the client or download a totally new one?

Sorry, I'm pretty confused, I passed my bed time...

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Dragviper

So it will be an update (A big one I guess) or they will also relaunch the physical game client? Does anyone know?

Because I'm thinking to buy the game right now and I'm guessing that when the day comes, I will have to upgrade the client or download a totally new one?

Sorry, I'm pretty confused, I passed my bed time...

2.0 Will be a completley different client than the one now. Once 2.0 is availabe they will offer a download for people who have already purchased the game.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

Graphics aren't being improved, theyre just being changed.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    The people who played it want a replacement after they ruined it with abyssea.

You aren't entitled to anything.

Which he didn't even say...

OT:

This interview doesn't reveal much we didn't already know. And as usual with Yoshi, details are lacking - I guess that's his way of trying to hype the game...

I'll try 2.0, since we who bought the game earlier are promised a new trial. But I don't expect much. Yoshi & co isn't much of an improvement compared to the old team, imo. Lots of talk and little action, that's my impression on him. I really hope 2.0 will take my breath away, but I don't believe it.

From the article:

Another iconic aspect of Final Fantasy games, Summons, or Primals as they are called in Final Fantasy XIV, will provide new content for players in version 2.0. Primals, such as Ifrit and Shiva, will appear throughout the game world and can be fought by groups of players and then captured. Upon capture, the Primal will be unavailable on that particular server until it is used in combat. Once called to battle, the Primal will be released from the player’s control and will reappear elsewhere in the world so it may be captured again.

So, someone who have captured ie Ifrit, can hold it "hostage" as long as he wants, is that what this means? If so, this has to be the most stupid idea any game dev ever had.