Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Dungeon Reveal - The Darkness War

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers the first information ever revealed about dungeons in The Secret World. We've got never-before-seen images and information about The Darkness War today. Check it out!

Long ago, the Wabanaki Indians would call the coming of the invaders the Day of Red Rain. They arrived in grim ships, ahead of stormclouds like no Wabanaki had ever seen. Like no Wabanaki would ever see again in their lifetimes. The deeds of the battle would pass into oral history, oral history passed into legend, legend became myth-- the myth of the Darkness War.

Read more about The Secret World: Dungeon Reveal - The Darkness War.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Sounds great.  I really like the quasi-historical references found throughout the game, this being no different.

Really enjoyed the game through the weekend, looking forward to more.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

Tried the beta this weekend and everything about the game was top notch except the combat animations.  I liked the way the combat mechanics worked, just that the animations are lacking.  I think what it needs most is if you target a mob and throw a spell or shoot a gun you should turn toward the mob at that moment.   I hope they improve this aspect by launch.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

I enjoyed the game as well... but I felt it was missing something.  When I couldn't continue the storyline, I uninstalled.  I have a feeling that's how the game is going to go too.  It feels a lot like SWTOR in terms of longevity to me - albeit with a better crafted story and much more impressive graphics.

I'll play the story line then quit.  Sad this isn't a co-op single player game.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Originally posted by jessie360

I enjoyed the game as well... but I felt it was missing something.  When I couldn't continue the storyline, I uninstalled.  I have a feeling that's how the game is going to go too.  It feels a lot like SWTOR in terms of longevity to me - albeit with a better crafted story and much more impressive graphics.

Completely assinine comment IMO. You are offcourse entitled your opinion, but how you can make the SWTOR paralell is a bit beyond me. The two games are structuraly completely different.

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

I found it nice but not great. What killed it for me was the same thing that made Tera and Tor go away from my harddrive ... questing. The management of quests for one, and then the boring activity of fetching X and getting to Y, just made me quit. GW2 ruined this experience for me.

http://werewood.wordpress.com/

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by jessie360

Longevity is definitely this games problem, you need to either mindlessly grind critters, or mindlessly re-do the not-very-large number of quests. Otherwise there's the pvp, maybe they thought everyone would want to do that, and would but that's always been pretty much a niche thing in MMO's lacking appeal to anything like the masses.

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341
    Originally posted by werewood

I found it nice but not great. What killed it for me was the same thing that made Tera and Tor go away from my harddrive ... questing. The management of quests for one, and then the boring activity of fetching X and getting to Y, just made me quit. GW2 ruined this experience for me.

IF you think the quests in GW2 are any different, then.. well I don't really know.  GW2 has the same "boring activity of fetching X and getting to Y". The only difference is they vaguely mask it in DE's and hearts.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Devs have stated current animations are placeholders and the new and improved animations are en route soon.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I played the beta this weekend also and found the game excellent, I'm looking forward to the release and getting to grips with this game.

• bilzzlibbilzzlib Member Posts: 1

Played a lot this weekend, and loved it. Stories were engaging throughout the game, some more than others. Sometimes the cutscenes had bugger all to do with the actual mission you were given. 

Alot of the "side missions" made sense in the grand scheme of things. So far, all I'd like to know is what end-game brings to the table. Because I have no doubt that "leveling" is going to be a very enjoyable experience. 

Also, does my char have to be a mute?... makes it alot less engaging. 

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ Saker

But remember it has no levels, i'm guessing one could play until they get all the Sp points and all the Ab points they want to put in all skills in the skill wheel, After that its blah..

Jessie360, has a point the game does feel like it could be easily a stand alone product without the mmo feature tacked on.

Its sad thats the way mmo are being made now, they are all missing that mmo feel that make it seem like your part of a community
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If pvp is such a niche thing, why is gw2 so hyped? This does not make sense.
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    @ Saker

But remember it has no levels, i'm guessing one could play until they get all the Sp points and all the Ab points they want to put in all skills in the skill wheel, After that its blah..

Jessie360, has a point the game does feel like it could be easily a stand alone product without the mmo feature tacked on.

Its sad thats the way mmo are being made now, they are all missing that mmo feel that make it seem like your part of a community

Every MMO can be stand alone if you choose to play it that way. All MMORPGs are stripped down versions of a single player game. The big thing that makes them different is your choice to interact with others ingame and enjoy the experience together.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by pandrax
    Originally posted by werewood

IF you think the quests in GW2 are any different, then.. well I don't really know.  GW2 has the same "boring activity of fetching X and getting to Y". The only difference is they vaguely mask it in DE's and hearts.

GW2 questing is the same old thing, although its covered in a different way. Tbh I found GW2 questing more boring than SWTOR (maybe because of the way quests are presented, don't know).

At least in TSW you have some quests offering different challenges, like the sabotage or investigation ones.

So I didn't get it also...

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Except, you know that TSW has this whole focus on community interaction in puzzle solving beneficial to the side that solves it, as well as this whole faction warfare system.

Game is mmo througha nd through. A good one at that. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

why always this stupid gw2 vs tsw hate?

At the end of the year we all will be playing kung fu panda anyway....

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by Yuui

Except, you know that TSW has this whole focus on community interaction in puzzle solving beneficial to the side that solves it, as well as this whole faction warfare system.

Game is mmo through and through. A good one at that. 

Yeah, it's not like you could do the lairs or lair bosses alone, or the region bosses (except maybe the ones in the first areas) or do the normal, elite or nightmare dungeons, the minigames or the persistant warzone. My first thought when playing Oblivion a few years back was how cool it would have been to play it with a friend. TSW is a multiplayer game for a reason. People like to play games together. Or many of us do.

• kzweedkzweed Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by Mari2k

why always this stupid gw2 vs tsw hate?

At the end of the year we all will be playing kung fu panda anyway....

So true :P

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Where was that when I was playing this last weekend?

Most of the community seemed to consists of elitist comments of 'go back to WoW', or 'you guys are idiots for asking for help' or 'nobody help him! let the noob figure it out on his own'.

Definitely seemed like players who wanted to figure things out by communicating with others were told to 'go back to WoW', while doing the quests in isolation were viewed as 'the right way to do it'.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by aesperus

Most of the community seemed to consists of elitist comments of 'go back to WoW', or 'you guys are idiots for asking for help' or 'nobody help him! let the noob figure it out on his own'.

Definitely seemed like players who wanted to figure things out by communicating with others were told to 'go back to WoW', while doing the quests in isolation were viewed as 'the right way to do it'.

I helped people all last weekend.  I did that most of my time actually.  I saw tons of people helping out.  I have no idea what you're talking about.  Unless it was questions that were being asked that people put no effort in trying to figure out for themselves.  Fans of TSW want you to atleast try and figure out the answers, so you'll experience some challenge.  Instead of people getting all the answers without thinking and blow through the content, then come to this site and post how boring and no challenge the game was.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by aesperus

I helped people all last weekend.  I did that most of my time actually.  I saw tons of people helping out.  I have no idea what you're talking about.  Unless it was questions that were being asked that people put no effort in trying to figure out for themselves.  Fans of TSW want you to atleast try and figure out the answers, so you'll experience some challenge.  Instead of people getting all the answers without thinking and blow through the content, then come to this site and post how boring and no challenge the game was.

PRETTY MUCH THIS.

Community can HELP you solve stuff or use some slight hints.

But no one is going to just give answers directly because half the fun is actually figuring stuff out. 

In that way it really works better if you are playing with someone else who is just as clueless as you are and you figure out stuff in a group :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• xxlilDevilxxxxlilDevilxx Member UncommonPosts: 245

Another Funcom game....didnt we all learn not to hype up from Funcom?

Looks like another AoC to me

• grouch666grouch666 Member Posts: 12

Ive had enough fantasy mmos to last a lifetime in the form of wow, i don't think i could play GW2 for this reason, it would be just like playing WOW but you walk around and automatically pick up quests and do the mission. TSW setting looks awesome, mostly steven king esk which is awesome!

• ErowErow Member Posts: 14

I find this game fascinating.  To get the most out if it I have decided to follow these principles:

Pay close attention

Take copious notes

Extensively mark and label map waypoints of possible future interest

Google everything

I also suggest becoming somewhat more powerful than entry level before doing investigation missions.  Chances are they will take you into some dangerous areas.

There are some great puzzles to be solved.  There are all kinds of references to other cultural aspects of our real life society.  For example:

Bannerman

Elm Street

Solomon Priest

Poe Street

MKULTRA

Revanant

Also, turn off general chat to avoid spoilers.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Funcom has partnered with MMORPG.com

What kind of "partnership" are we talking about here?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky