Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Writing up our Final Fantasy XIV E3 2012 piece right now. Are you encouraged by what you've heard so

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I'm writing up our FFXIV piece from E3 2012 right now and as I'm writing it I thought it would be fun to pose a question to those of you looking forward to the game's relaunch. No doubt you've heard about Square Enix's plans so far from all the E3 stuff floating around the 'net. Are you encouraged by what you've heard? What do you think of the team's specific plans to improve the game?

Anyone looking to post "Too little, too late" may as well refrain from doing so. I'm interested in hearing what those of you actively looking forward to the relaunch have to say about the specifics of Square's plans.

DISCLAIMER: I've never played Final Fantasy XIV, but am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series!

Comments

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

As someone who played FFXI for years and loved it, after playing XIV I was so disappointed. After watching XIV grow and evolve I do have a little bit of hope for 2.0. Is it enough to salvage the game? I doubt it. It will definitely get a lot of new blood, but will it be enough? I don't know. I just hope they release a trial with 2.0. I would really like to get back in-game and see all the new changes.

Oh yeah, have they cleaned up the account creation/billing process? I remember that was a huge pain just in itself. Had some friends who yelled pretty loudly at how stupid it was.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Ive always kept an eye on this one, Im truely hoping for the best and yes.. Ill give it atleast a shot.

Im still a tad woried, before the original release there were some things that troubled me and I wasnt wrong.. the person demonstrating had trouble with simple moving around even a simple straight line was an issue.

Now I wont bother listing the flaws and things that bothered me. We are already aware of them.

SO yes, Im encourages, Im not worried, the worst that can happen is it being just a few evenings over entertainment which still means Ill get my money's worth.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I'm looking forward to it atm because it sounds like it's going to be more similar to ffxi.  If that's not the case then not going to bother with it.

They should have just made ffxi-2 instead of coming out with abyssea and ffxiv.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

SO EXCITED.

I've been following the game since that one random screenshot that came out in I think Game Informer in 2008 or so. Pre ordered the collectors edition, logged in, HATED IT. Stopped playing and just came back a few months ago and it has already improved my leaps and bounds. I'm loving it and have found a new home.

And its only gonna get better with 2.0

Finally introduces male miqote and female roegadyn

The new summoing system is awesome even though it's gotten some critique.

Odin wanders the earth and get more powerful every time he is defeated. How cool is that?!

The new UI is beautiful.

A real and simple auction house is coming back to the game, thank god.

It's everything it should have been and more.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

I  bought this ones CE back when it first launched and was vastly disppointed.  I have tried my best to keep pace with all the stuff changing up for the relaunch and may even try the game again if they let me do it free, I just don't see myself paying for it.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

I was once a FFXI player, although not for so long ( around 5 months ), but i do enjoyed it

and i was really exited when i first heard the FFXIV, then after they released, within days, i hear lots of bad stuffs about it, so i held back my purchase and later on i saw a gameplay from my friend, and i decided that i will pass

to be honest, FFXIV is already gone on my radar, as much as i would love to once again get back into the FF world, but i just got discouraged by what i have seen, well until E3

then it's back on my radar again, 

also mainly for the fact that i am not really a PC gamer and more of a Console, so i have always waited for the PS3 ver, although it's been 2 years and i was pretty sure that they were never going to release it for PS3

but this E3 news bring a little hope in me for FFXIV, well, maybe just maybe i just might even make FFXIV 2.0 back on my top 3 list for my next MMO that i will be playing for main

in short, yes i am truly encouraged and PS3 ver of FFXIV 2.0 is what i will be looking to the most alongside PlanetSide 2

So What Now?

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

MikeB youre lucky that you never player FFXIV. You dont have the lingering bad taste left by its initial release. I am looking forward to ffxiv 2.0 what Ive seens loks awesome and is what we should have got to begin with. The mmo community like to hold a grudge and we have long memories. I hope everyone will give it another go.

Also I hope performance is better than before, because it seems theyve got the gameplay and ui down now!

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I also came away encouraged! Be sure to check out the article this morning.

Thanks everyone!

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I was a large contributing member of the FFXIV community for well over a year before FFXIV was released.After release needless to say I was very disappointed with the game. I have watched 2.0 from a distance but have kept myself from geting to excited, I know SE learned their lesson so I am a bit hopeful that they wont release 2.0 until it is ready.

Will I return for 2.0?, the answer is yes I will, and I look forward to it, and im looking forward to reading MMORPG.com's review from what they saw at E3 on 2.0.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Yes, am considering giving the game a go.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Extremely dissapointed with the initial launch, I felt that the developers were trying to control my playtime with the fatigue system and restricted amount of leves that were available every 24hrs.   The world was beautiful graphically, but is extremely linear, specificly areas like The Black Shroud.

Since the new team has been working on the game it has come on leaps and bounds and currently very playable.  I returned to FFXIV at the beginning of May this year and have signed up for another 3 months subscription as I have been enjoying the game immensely.  Its very challenging, the community is very supportive to new players, Grand Companies and the defence of Hamlets are great fun, HNM and NM's have been implimented into the world,  Artifact armour has been implimented, mounts in the form of Chocobo's and Gobbues availble, and the Chocobo's can be pimped with cool looking barding.  It still has some random crash problems and some players experience disconnection issues entering certain areas.

Version 2 is looking to make the game even more great, with the new Rift engine, World reshaped, PvP to name just a few of the things that will come.  Would I recomend it?  absolutely and if you are thinking of trying this out then be quick, as the box sale prices are real cheap at the moment.  As a returning player I got Legacy which allows me reduced subscription for taking a 3 month sub for £18.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Zetsuei

As someone who played FFXI for years and loved it, after playing XIV I was so disappointed. After watching XIV grow and evolve I do have a little bit of hope for 2.0. Is it enough to salvage the game? I doubt it. It will definitely get a lot of new blood, but will it be enough? I don't know. I just hope they release a trial with 2.0. I would really like to get back in-game and see all the new changes.

Oh yeah, have they cleaned up the account creation/billing process? I remember that was a huge pain just in itself. Had some friends who yelled pretty loudly at how stupid it was.

The account setup process for both FFXI and FFXIV (though I recall the latter less clearly) is absurd.  I feel like they outsource the account creation project to a 3rd party company in another country, have it translated to japanese and returned, then translated to english.  During each phase of development, just for kicks, they then add an additional step in the account setup process.  

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

They seem to be taking the task seriously enough, and all the info so far shows great promise. Not the false promise that was the pre-launch hype but something more realistic.

Their plans are on-par with what they need to do to get where they need to be (while also going for the extra mile- a necessary step after suffering the first fallout however).

Not many if any developers have ever done something like this before. I don't say it to praise them nor to insult other developers, as it's a pretty logical decision for most companies to not attempt such a feat- but it's a fact nonetheless. XIV started off as one of the worst MMO's out there and SE is attempting for it to end up being one of the best- the contrast should evoke most people's interest, if only slightly. Most other failed MMO's are "meh" at best.

my2c.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142

Played the game at launch and like everyone else I quit very quickly. However after the welcome back campaign I have since resubscribed and it's an awesome game now. The new updates are just right around the corner so I'm getting some things done. I had to make sure I'd atleast get my goobbue mount :D.

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131

Definitely going to be giving the game a try as I LOVE the FF series and the graphic style they have really screams to me. Something to keep me occupied and switch with GW2 when I need a break from all the PvPing :D

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

well somethings they fixed, others changed, other was changed without need.

maybe people will play it again, but I really don't see it having a big relaunch, or get even close to what was during launch. they could do so much better with the classes but still are meh, craft with was good enough, I heard they make it simple, not good in my eyes. combat don't see much change, only now we can't have do burst and wait till bar fill up again

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142

Combat's changed alot. Even down to the spells they've all been replaced.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Soaapy

changing names and making it work like others MMO for me is not changing,  copying what was been done before is.... meh

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    Originally posted by Soaapy

changing names and making it work like others MMO for me is not changing,  copying what was been done before is.... meh

Well, your definition of change is quite the extraordinary one, then.

Largest improvements have yet to come. New engine changes everything.

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

I for one am Interested. The open beta really left a bad impression for me to the point i would rather play ff11 instead. After reading all of the 2.0 stuff and current updates does make me want to join now.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

When anyone mentions FFXIV its followed by anger, frustration and stories of what was and what it could've been. I, like nearly every person who played 14 at launch was deeply disappointed but SE refused to give up. Now that we have that out of the way we can discuss the games progress since launch. I quit the game in October to play FFXI and get down on some LoL. I just came back two days ago and I have to say I wax quite surprised with the changes. After the announcement of the new job and armory system I was a little concerned at first, but now that I played it firsthand I'm loving the changes. Even after the major 1.19 patch the game continues to better refine itself with new addition of the hamlet system, continued storyline and the inclusion of the new relic weapon system.

The game is plenty fun as it is now, and it can only get better if Square plans to keep with their word on FFXIV 2.0. As one of the above posters mentioned, SE has forgone their empty promises with more realistic ones. Only time will tell, but i know I'll always be able to call an FF MMORG my home because there just isn't another mmo that's quite like em. Unfortunately FFXI is simply just reached its peak and is just re- invisioning it's old content and refuses to drop PS2 support, which is greatly holding the game back. FFXI will still always be the best mmo experience I've ever had, and I'm hoping that in 2.0 I can retract that claim. Even now FFXIV is a joy to play so I urge anyone to come check it out!!!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am incredibly encouraged and will definitely be going back for 2.0.

I really want a slower open world PvE game and so that means, in the near future, Vanguard or FFXIV.

The thing is I don't trust SOE at all with their handling of VG, and I don't trust a single word on anything they say about their cash shop. I have a choice... to go with SO (who are proven liars and have done nothing for VG except milk it) or go with SE (the guys that have invested heavily in their game and shown dedication and respect to their fanbase).

It HAS to be FFXIV for me.

They have earned the right for another go at this. SOE? Not so much.

Originally posted by Vesavius

I really want a slower open world PvE game and so that means, in the near future, Vanguard or FFXIV.

The game might be slightly slower in pacing, but it will hardly be an open world PvE game anymore.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

The game might be slightly slower in pacing, but it will hardly be an open world PvE game anymore.

Feel like explaining why? :/

Feel like explaining why? :/

Under Yoshida's rule the game has ditched the open world approach and is heavily focused on instances.

Granted, some pretty cool open-world related additions have been planned like a free-roaming Odin that grows in strength each time he is killed and the dragon sieges in Ishgard(iirc) but on the other hand he (Yoshida) feels that it makes the job of developers much easier to design and balance content in instances.

Tanaka's FFXI (and FFXIV) are drastically different to what Yoshida's FFXIV will be like. The game no longer tries to be the completely unique snowflake it once failed to be.