Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heavy story and puzzels

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

While i really like the story component and the puzzles in TSW, something made me realise..

When late in the evening behind my PC after a long hard day at the office, most of the time i just dont want to actively think. I just want to run semi mindlessly through a world and enjoy myself with little things instead of solving mysteries. No dont get me wrong, i really like the story and puzzels, but just not all the time. 

While TSW has some awesome background, i might prefer a simpler game 90% of the time. And with the current pricetag that means TSW will not be on my PC...

Maybe i´ll play the game if it goes free to play, or even if the boxprice drops to like $15 (which warrants a month of free play) But currently, its not the game for me, there are better options for my needs.   

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

They're optional. If you don't want to, do the more basic quests, pvp, craft, hunt achivements and lore, dungeons. You gain xp from them too, so you don't have to do puzzles if you're stressed to progress.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Aside from the puzzles in the main sotryline quest you an completley skip them in the game, if you don't ever want to do them.

Or let them for a time where you feel like solving those.  Or do as most people will, look around for hints and spoilers.

Thay are very rewarding when you solve them, tho, it feels rather cool.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

You guys are missing his point. Take the quests and puzzles out of TSW and you're left with a very bad MMO.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

I think this sums it up. Questing is the bulk of this game, aside from that is the standard fare. While the setting is great, I look for more out of MMO's these days than only having questing/instances/PVP. IMHO if you liked SWTOR, you will like TSW. If you hated SWTOR, you will not like TSW. The game's setting will only passify players for so long until they realise they have very little to do outside questing.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

While i really like the story component and the puzzles in TSW, something made me realise..

When late in the evening behind my PC after a long hard day at the office, most of the time i just dont want to actively think. I just want to run semi mindlessly through a world and enjoy myself with little things instead of solving mysteries. No dont get me wrong, i really like the story and puzzels, but just not all the time. 

While TSW has some awesome background, i might prefer a simpler game 90% of the time. And with the current pricetag that means TSW will not be on my PC...

Maybe i´ll play the game if it goes free to play, or even if the boxprice drops to like $15 (which warrants a month of free play) But currently, its not the game for me, there are better options for my needs.   

I can see where you're coming from on this post. Especially with a brief view of your posting history. Although I seriously doubt TSW is going to go FTP anytime soon. But thats ok, you have GW2 to keep you occupied with the simple content. Not a slam on you or GW2, just pointing out that you do like this sort of thing, and have stated it in the past. Why you felt the need to create this post, knowing you prefer GW2, and not TSW is ponderous though. Wouldnt' it have been enough to just leave your post history as fact enough of the feeling you posted here? I mean it does say the same thing already.

"If you really read my post, you would know i was talking about the story part and the character depth.... thats the part suitable for 10 year old kids.  Plain old straightforward herobuilding fantasy and no room to even play a wicked character let even an evil one."

"No its not, but i had more fun in GW2 beta then in any other MMO released in the last 8 years.
    GW2 is not overhyped tough, its just a great game, that most people will love..."

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You do realize that even if the game is cheaper you will still have to think. Please explain how free to play or a cheaper price will change this? [mod edit]

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by tom_gore

You guys are missing his point. Take the quests and puzzles out of TSW and you're left with a very bad MMO.

That's funny because most seem to think TSW Dungeons are some of the best, but let's not let that detract from the narrative of this thread.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

No, not exactly. It seems you are missing his point. He has already stated in many previous posts that he prefers simple action based play, and GW2 is his game of choice. The only reason this thread was created was to slam a game he has no intention of even playing, and to get people like you to follow his lead in doing exactly that.

Look, if you people are not even going to play a game, stop coming on here and posting threads for the sole purpose of putting it down. Just stay to the games you like, and have some knowledge on. Please.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Lol.. that's not fair.

The game does very good at staying away from "Kill 10 rats" though there are a few. The game shines at questing.

We've known for years (literally) that questing was going to be this game's big thing. They claim that some of the puzzles will be so very complex that community interaction will be a must.

This quote reminds me of all the TERA reviews that said "Besides the Combat...".

TSW IS questing/puzzles. It's like saying "When you're out of ammo, this shooter sucks".

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Bloody hell, TSW is too hard? I'm not a brainiac but so far I have not found anything too challenging. Complaints like this shows clearly the core problem of the once superior Western civilization - people are used to someone else thinking for them these days. I prefer to keep my brain functioning but TSW is just an entertainment for me. 

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by Piiritus

Bloody hell, TSW is too hard? I'm not a brainiac but so far I have not found anything too challenging. Complaints like this shows clearly the core problem of the once superior Western civilization - people are used to someone else thinking for them these days. I prefer to keep my brain functioning but TSW is just an entertainment for me. 

Well we have gone from a Can Do attitude to one of self entitlement and it glaringly reared it's ugly head this past weekend.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

No, that wasnt his point...he prefers a mindless ftp

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Much of the game appears to have investigations, puzzles and missions. If that's a core to a game, why would you make this statement?

If you remove a chunk of the core to any game, you're left with a very bad MMO.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by s1fu71

Much of the game appears to have investigations, puzzles and missions. If that's a core to a game, why would you make this statement?

If you remove a chunk of the core to any game, you're left with a very bad MMO.

Slamming something doesn't work well if you get all logical about it. Gheesh...

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Not slamming it; just confused.

Sorry.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    [mod edit]
    Originally posted by s1fu71

Not slamming it; just confused.

Sorry.

Think you misunderstood me. I was agreeing with you and poking fun at his remark.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Looks like many of you missed MY point too.

TSW has great quests, but everything else is pretty bad or mediocre. You say the dungeons are great too? Super! I won't argue because I haven't tested them yet.

Still, let's say Funcom would suddenly delete all current quests from TSW and replaced them with standard "kill 10 rats" quests through and through. Would you still argue it's a bad game?

Since you guys tried to twist my meaning, here it is as straight as I can put it.

TSW has great questing, probably the best I've seen in MMOs so far.  That, and that alone makes it a pretty good game (and maybe these fabled dungeons too, but I usually hate instances, so I won't join that bandwagon before I've seen them myself). Replace the questing with TERA class boring grind questing and this game would be forgotten really fast.

The OP can't be bothered with the great questing in TSW, alas TSW is a bad game FOR HIM.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Hey guys, please discuss the thread topic without baiting the OP. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Originally posted by Amana

See I don't get this. There's a pretty fair argument to be had this topic within itself was simply done to bait.

Meh...whatever...

Looks like many of you missed MY point too.

TSW has great quests, but everything else is pretty bad or mediocre. You say the dungeons are great too? Super! I won't argue because I haven't tested them yet.

Still, let's say Funcom would suddenly delete all current quests from TSW and replaced them with standard "kill 10 rats" quests through and through. Would you still argue it's a bad game?

Didn't miss your point. I was just confused. But, again: if you remove a core point to any game (whether it be missions/quests, etc) what are you left with?

I simply did not see where you were going with this statement.

If you remove PVP, quests, battlegrounds from WOW, what are you left with?

If you remove the movement system and weapons and just leave powers in DCUO, what are you left with?

It just seemed like an odd statement.

But, I think I see your point. If they did in fact replace "kill 10 rats" quests through out the game I would not play.

At this point in time, they've done something interesting with the variety of mission types. And at this point in time, those variety of missions lend to naturally exploring. So far, not bad at all. It has my attention.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

"When late in the evening behind my PC after a long hard day at the office, most of the time i just dont want to actively think."

"And with the current pricetag that means TSW will not be on my PC..."

"Maybe i´ll play the game if it goes free to play, or even if the boxprice drops"

The last 2 lines will not affect the first in any way. This game isn't for the OP.

• AbyeAbye Member Posts: 53

If he doesn'T want to think, I don't want to group with him ever anyway.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Amana

See I don't get this. There's a pretty fair argument to be had this topic within itself was simply done to bait.

Meh...whatever...

I got a warning for more or less saying this and yet the OP was obviously baiting and gets nothing, whatever

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Yeah the puzzles are the point, in game, out of game, goto the funcom site right now, and hit the number 3 twice and see what happens.

Everyting about the secret world is about unlocking secrets.. and you dont want to actively think. Well we already have a lot of games that dont require you to think, guild wars 2 being one of them, the secret world has an amazing quest and puzzle system, i bought the game 100% because of this reason after playing the beta.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson