Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Making the Political System Shine

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

En Masse Entertainment has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers an exclusive first look at upcoming changes to the TERA political system. It's a must-read by Brian Knox for TERA political junkies of all stripes. Let us know what you think in the comments.

In the revised system, candidates will select a continent as usual, but they will also select a competition type. If they choose a straight election, they’ll rank their preferred provinces and then begin campaigning for votes. If they choose to fight for the right to rule, they’ll rank their provinces, and then their guild enters a modified guild-versus-guild (GvG) PvP battle with all other candidates’ guilds on that continent.

Read more of Brian Knox's TERA: Making the Political System Shine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

I wonder how many people will stay with Tera just because of this system. I doubt that many even if its the best in the market. Just my 2cp.

http://werewood.wordpress.com/

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

This is great! This will allow smaller pvp guilds to farm on large zerg guilds..

More targets = more points possible.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Hmmm seems ok, even though no game to date has done a good political system.. Because with such system the little Guy gets crushed most of the time, equaling the community end up not caring in the long run..

Why do games go with such a system just to be different.
  • EwanisEwanis Member UncommonPosts: 39

Awesome :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    And what is the benefit for holding a Vanarch position?
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

i just wish the game launcher would do it's thing...

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    Hmmm seems ok, even though no game to date has done a good political system.. Because with such system the little Guy gets crushed most of the time, equaling the community end up not caring in the long run..

Why do games go with such a system just to be different.

Tera limits guild numbers. I believe its capped at 300 which is a decent size to ensure that no guild can become too massive.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

This system doesn't interest me at all.  There's too much ego in gaming already.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Yamota
    And what is the benefit for holding a Vanarch position?

Nothing. Thatswhy they can just scrap that shit.  Or well, not nothing... A mount with a blanket for the whole guild and in most provinces just a break even or slightly more in gold (compared to the candidacy fee of 3k). Oh yeah and the vanarch himself can grind his ass off to keep the shops open because if he doesn't keep all shops open 24/7 and dares raising taxes over the minimum 1% the whining explodes into gargantuan proportions.

Vanarchy is as exciting as drying paint and GvG in its current state and with the flaws in the basic design will change exactly nothing  there.

• SzabtomSzabtom Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Rylah
     if he doesn't keep all shops open 24/7 and dares raising taxes over the minimum 1% the whining explodes into gargantuan proportions.

Sounds just like real life to me :)

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Szabtom
    Originally posted by Rylah
     if he doesn't keep all shops open 24/7 and dares raising taxes over the minimum 1% the whining explodes into gargantuan proportions.

Sounds just like real life to me :)

LOL so true talk about realisim in an MMO!

• KaronT3KaronT3 Member CommonPosts: 9

The question is. Why a pvp server is not a pvp server? Why i must flag myself for being a pk and then all the people can attack me? Why are not all people in red in a pvp server as if someone wants to attack you or you want to attack him can´t do? This a a very noob system, and i've left the game for thsi reason.

• bosswellbosswell Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by KaronT3

The question is. Why a pvp server is not a pvp server? Why i must flag myself for being a pk and then all the people can attack me? Why are not all people in red in a pvp server as if someone wants to attack you or you want to attack him can´t do? This a a very noob system, and i've left the game for thsi reason.

Lol, I don't understand what you're saying. Once you flag yourself, everyone becomes a red name and you can kill anyone you want, anytime, anywhere except safe zones. If you want to kill someone just flag yourself, the other person doesn't need to be flagged in order for you to player kill him/her. It's supposed to be like this so people who don't want to kill eachother don't accidently kill eachother unintentionaly.

*edit* forgot to quote.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Sounds a lot like the system in Perfect World.  I did not like that system.  Of course in PW a guild could own all areas, which is quite different than in TERA.  

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

The political system is a good start. But, the Vanarchs need a bit more latitude to make changes in their areas. 

Examples:

Vanarch guild imposes PvP rule-set on a PvE server or vice versa but allows players to become exempt by paying daily protection money on the PVE server or posting bounties on the pvp server.

Vanarchy decrees Bams are 15% more difficult but offer significantly better rewards.

Vanarchy decrees that groups get a boost of X% xp, money, or etc scaling by group size and mobs tackled.

Some Vanarchys could decree Carnival, Race,  or (PvP)Arena days with prizes to the winners.

There's tons of opportunity with this political system (good and bad) that isn't being taken advantage of as yet, imo.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by KaronT3

In comparison to AoC's system, where everyone is flagged an enemy, I find this system much better. At least here I can help somebody if I so choose to do, and people are working together unless they choose not to. The opposite makes less sense imo.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

", we thought we’d take some time to talk about some upcoming changes to this already popular aspect of gameplay."

lol popular. In these second round there will be servers where some regions won't have vanarchs at all. Lots of guild didn't even bother to try it.

But i can already see the exploits in this system. One guild can farm another guild (made of alts for example) for points. The only way to solve this is to have a siege system.

Cheap "points systems" won't work.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Unfortunately, even though i love playing MMO's, i dont have alot of time to play (30-60 minutes at MAX, so in such games, even if i subscribe, i ALWAYS end up being the ''little guy'', thus unfortunately;political systems such as these - under normal circumstences - do not concern me at all. I dont think i have much of a chance of being this-or-any servers supreme leader etc. with just 30 mins of gameplay a day. Thus; as u prolly guessed as well; such (political) features in MMOs can never help to keep me hooked up in the game. But i recon that for ''more hardcore'' players out there, such features might be very interesting indeed. Just my 2 cents:)

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by otacu

", But i can already see the exploits in this system. One guild can farm another guild (made of alts for example) for points. The only way to solve this is to have a siege system.

I might be wrong, but there's a mechanism in place that prevents getting points from same players.

This system sounds quite good on paper to me, it will allow a guild of 10-20 coordinated people to obliterate the mass of zergers out there who spam in chat and throw around aoe guildinvites for the sole purpose of self-electing themselves with sheer numbers, and keep the whole server hostage of their noobness with overpriced shops.

Now there's a counter to that, based on combat, ruthless killing and drama.

I can't wait for this to go live and try spilling the blood of every single greedy vanarch that rose to power just because of a zerg cartel :D

• MishaalMishaal Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by samvenice
    Originally posted by otacu

", But i can already see the exploits in this system. One guild can farm another guild (made of alts for example) for points. The only way to solve this is to have a siege system.

I might be wrong, but there's a mechanism in place that prevents getting points from same players.

This system sounds quite good on paper to me, it will allow a guild of 10-20 coordinated people to obliterate the mass of zergers out there who spam in chat and throw around aoe guildinvites for the sole purpose of self-electing themselves with sheer numbers, and keep the whole server hostage of their noobness with overpriced shops.

Now there's a counter to that, based on combat, ruthless killing and drama.

I can't wait for this to go live and try spilling the blood of every single greedy vanarch that rose to power just because of a zerg cartel :D

+1

my guild is 35 guy almost and we dont like to have those AOE invites and now we can do somthing with this sys not just stand and whtch other guilds with 300 guy control the areas

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Yeah but the real question is, if I do achieve a high ranking political office does it help me stop the teribibledibles from becoming too numerous so they dont damage the serenity of my soul?

Because, you know...the story and all makes no sense...so I need to know what I will need to do while in office in this RPG.

• bobbobbinsbobbobbins Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by samvenice

I might be wrong, but there's a mechanism in place that prevents getting points from same players

signs up altguild of 30 members, wow a max 5 kill per day limit huh? .... 30*5*7=1070 ..i can has vanarch noe plx?

now your still gonna loose, even with an anti farm mechanism becasue theres no reason to leave a safe zone until its alt farming time in a super secret quiet location in a channel thats rarely used ...me=1k+ points, you=what ever you manage to scrounge up picking on 40-59 questers

throw in some kill trading with another zerg guild ...and you have no chance to even come close

seriously whoever thought up this system doesnt know western gammers and the cheap crap ppl will pull to get ahead, theres more then 1 guild thats pulled 1 point ahead and /gquit all its members except the lvl5 gm for a day to win a gvg that means nothing, just imgaine the crap ppl would pull for somthing they think counts

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    So there isnt a point to being in charge of a cont? Like all non allies are auto red, prevented from farming, kicking people out of player houses, taxes, etc?

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher