Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hahaha WOW at this game...

AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

based on everything i had seen before about the game, it looked so bad (even worse than TOR)

but actually playing it was incredibly refreshing, from the story telling to the game mechanics to the UI

game obviously needs A LOT of polish, but there's definitely potential with this one

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Asamof

based on everything i had seen before about the game, it looked so bad (even worse than TOR)

but actually playing it was incredibly refreshing, from the story telling to the game mechanics to the UI

game obviously needs A LOT of polish, but there's definitely potential with this one

Ummm .....what LOL

is it possible to agree and then disagree?

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133

I actually thought this game sounded really really fun when i first read about it a few months back .. 

After playing it I can tell that its definatly not the game for me , It couldn't keep my attention for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. The controls felt terrible the ranged weapons are a joke , the quest system is lackluster and the UI was not that great. 

I will admit that I like the story but this isn't reason enough for me to buy it and pay a monthly sub maybe i'll check back in a year and see how its doing. 

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

This game will have a small but very loyal following. Possibly growing a bit by the 1st major patch. The game, combat and story wise, really opens up if you have the patience to see things through. As this was beta I didn't really bother but I do see the hints of greatness in it. You truely can come up with some wierdo builds and that is good.  The art is good but the character models need a lot of work. The rendering is great but the need more models and sliders as some of the proportions were a bit off. It's a bit more buffy and less Evil Dead at the moment. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Twizted26

The controls felt terrible the ranged weapons are a joke ,

this

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72

.. ranged weapons are a joke ..

Trust me, if you know how to play; the ranged weapoins are no joke. If you just make the right build, and don't try kiting with your first two abilities. Get yourself some hinders, stuns, and some movement-abilities, and you'll be able to shoot 75% of them, without them hitting you.

It really annoys me to see all those complaints about it; cleary people that haven't spend more than 2minutes, looking through the abilitywheel. Of course they can't let be able to kite the mobs from the get-go, that'd require that the mobs in general should be much slower than you - which would later on make the actually kiting-decks extremely overpowered.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Asamof

I would say as far as the story elements, they're much, much better than TORtanics.    Honestly, BioWare is the pulp-fiction of CRPG storytelling.   And while pulp fiction sells well, for example Mack Bolan (the Executioner) stories are now over 600 'novels' (which are more novella), they're still nothing more than a steaming pile of crap novels strung together by a formulaic a pulp mill.

And since a picture is worth a 1000 words and all that:   http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/biowareupdated3_web.jpg

It's funny because it's true.   You take their games and they're formulaic.   Formulaic hero's quest, formulaic side-men, formulaic 'moral situations' and now, to make it even more formulaic, they all have the ME 'dialogue' wheel where you can give one of your three answers -- complaint good guy, snarky good guy, jerk-off guy -- as you work your way to 'all white' or 'all black' in your morality choices...   Or in the case of BioWare, all blue or all red which can only be obtained by DLC.

So, yes, it was very refreshing to play TSWs stories.   While each, so far, has been linear, they haven't been full of phony non-choices and the stories themselves are quite interesting as I can see how they incorporate urban legends, myths, etc. into them.   

Now, as far as the environments I've been in, they've been first class.   There is no question that they're well and successfully done within the artistic aesthic they chose.

The only real complaint I have is that the character models aren't very good.   They're not horrible.   But there are some issues with many of the female face-sub-components.   The men are a bit better.    

I'm also not much of a fan of the Sims3 like clothing options...     I think they developers need to realize that the average gamer is post-college in age (81%) and that 50% are 30-and-over.    I'd like to be able to dress up to how I envision my character -- mature, smart, chic.    Not a refugee from a 20-something garage band.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Rightlov

Trust me, if you know how to play; the ranged weapoins are no joke. If you just make the right build, and don't try kiting with your first two abilities. Get yourself some hinders, stuns, and some movement-abilities, and you'll be able to shoot 75% of them, without them hitting you.

It really annoys me to see all those complaints about it; cleary people that haven't spend more than 2minutes, looking through the abilitywheel. Of course they can't let be able to kite the mobs from the get-go, that'd require that the mobs in general should be much slower than you - which would later on make the actually kiting-decks extremely overpowered.

Early ability wheel doesn't do so well.   So you have to kite.   Later it becomes better.   And dual-pistols/elementalist...   I'm not getting the love of that supposed 'great' combination.   Five combat abilities and five passives in, I was still getting beaten like a rented mule.

• tysonj25tysonj25 Member UncommonPosts: 66

I'm also not much of a fan of the Sims3 like clothing options...     I think they developers need to realize that the average gamer is post-college in age (81%) and that 50% are 30-and-over.    I'd like to be able to dress up to how I envision my character -- mature, smart, chic.    Not a refugee from a 20-something garage band.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Haha no crap I stopped wearing Seattle grundge band wear in '92-'93 lol. 

And I agree character models were clunky at first but honestly the more I played and was having fun, I stopped noticing that. I only had limited play time this weekend, but I had a shotgun blast playing!

Something different and even the MA accents (where I am from) were pretty close.

Great aptmosphere!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Early ability wheel doesn't do so well.   So you have to kite.   Later it becomes better.   And dual-pistols/elementalist...   I'm not getting the love of that supposed 'great' combination.   Five combat abilities and five passives in, I was still getting beaten like a rented mule.

I think the problem is not all skill sets are on equal footing. Which is why some have differing opinions on matters. So I agree with you. There are simply some bad combinations.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

And since a picture is worth a 1000 words and all that:   http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/biowareupdated3_web.jpg

I lol'd - a lot. I can imagine this being hung up on the walls at Bioware as the defacto narrative design guide.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

I had a shotgun/chaos build with some passives from fistmelee and pistols. After about 42 AP in i had a build that took down about anything in like 2 shots, bigger stuff with 7 and the stackcounters did the rest (DoT)

that was pretty much awesome.

I jump in start with the applying of status fx and the DoT from the passives made everything around me die while i just walked away. 

I cant even say if i was more dps or heal or tank. It was a just allround build that performed quite excellent.

All you have to do is get away from the idea to pick your stuff from shotguns only if you want you shot guns to eat stuff , pick fistmelee and some pistol stuff with it there goes crit with DoT, also fistmelee for you attacks trigger heals. Also Chaos magic for extra dmg when you apply weakend state, that is a beast to start off with (4AP)

Your first shotgun skill applys weakend when you have the passive in, hence the chaos dmg triggers. Play around. You can have mad-chainlighning -of-doom coming from sources you wouldnt think of at first.

That did it for me.

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

The big problem is only one: Funcom. Great ideas badly done. The game is really cute, but has a lot of problems.

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Rightlov

Maybe its the FPS side of me speaking but I kinda expected Pistols / AR's and Shotty's to have a decent range of like 40-50m not 10-15 , Thats what I meant by a Joke ...  

But like I said before I couldn't stay entertained by this game , I gave it as fair of a chance as I could I pushed myself to gain as many levels as I could before the beta ended , Final result = I don't care for it and won't be investing time or money in TSW .. even if it was 100% F2P i don't think I could find the motivation to play it anymore than what I have so far. 

I'm not knocking the game it seems like it has alot of potential and the story is interesting but I just wasn't feeling it. 

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Through trial and error I managed to put together a few different skill sets to handle the various monsters. After each successful build I had a smile on my face because I actually had to think about the fight. I felt very much rewarded for my efforts. Then I would do them again to work on avoiding being hit. After some effort I was amazed by how I was able to survive fights with barely being hit when previously I was thrown around like a rag doll.

Then I went into a different area and had to rethink my strats and skills. I had lots of fun with just this alone.

Loved every quest I did. Love learning the npcs stories, loved learning about the lore of the area. First time in a long time I wasn't skipping the preamble and just accepting the quest.

With shoutgun inhand and a sledge hammer on my back, I am more than joyed to delve further into The Secret World.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I would say as far as the story elements, they're much, much better than TORtanics.    Honestly, BioWare is the pulp-fiction of CRPG storytelling.   And while pulp fiction sells well, for example Mack Bolan (the Executioner) stories are now over 600 'novels' (which are more novella), they're still nothing more than a steaming pile of crap novels strung together by a formulaic a pulp mill.

It's funny because it's true.   You take their games and they're formulaic.   Formulaic hero's quest, formulaic side-men, formulaic 'moral situations' and now, to make it even more formulaic, they all have the ME 'dialogue' wheel where you can give one of your three answers -- complaint good guy, snarky good guy, jerk-off guy -- as you work your way to 'all white' or 'all black' in your morality choices...   Or in the case of BioWare, all blue or all red which can only be obtained by DLC.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks BioWare's storytelling has always been subpar.

• dangledangle Member Posts: 74

This game is a lot of fun, but there's plenty of things that won't go over well with people who actually paid for it... :/

• DreddeDredde Member Posts: 28

People are complaining about combat... Are people comparing it to SP games or? Someone please refresh me, ive played mmos for ages, ive been in all the big ones, played the new ones. But TSW is on the top notch ones when it comes to combat, much more chooises and the line of unlocking skills are great. What mmos have I been missing out on since you think the combat is bad? Seems to me its people that havent played it or only tested inner rings on the skill wheel.

Heres a list of some of the mmos ive tried so you dont reffer to them as theyr combat is on par or worse then TSW: WoW, Aion,  AoC, Lotro, Rift, GW, GW2(all the beta openings so far) Tera, Allods, GoM, SWtor, DCuo (played alot more but names not even worth mentioning)