Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Diablo 3 less addictive than Diablo 2?

7star7star Member Posts: 405

Here is an interesting read in psych 101 terms.

http://www.alexc.me/a-scientific-explanation-why-diablo-3-is-less-addictive-than-diablo-2/417/

Any thoughts?

I've actually started playing D2 a couple of days ago and having more fun than I thought I would, in spite of the dated graphics. 

Comments

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Played D2 for years.

Played D3 for weeks.

Yea, I got bored sadly.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by zymurgeist 
     Humans aren't monkeys. They aren't Pavlov's dogs either.

Ha...I hope you're right, but I sometimes have my doubts. ;)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

no game will ever be as addicting as D2 or any other online game that came out in that time frame.

i cracked out on D2 unlike any other game other than EQ. are there better games than those two? yes, from a technical standpoint there are countless games better than both of them IMO

but i will never get back that feeling i got when i first started playing online PC games like D2, EQ, and Daoc.

i know in my heart that i will never play the same game for years again, no matter what game it is. the only way i can see myself playing a game that long is if a game comes out that is so innovative and far and away better than everything else out there, that nothing else compares.

i just don't see that happening any time soon.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by stayBlind

Played D2 for years.

Played D3 for weeks.

Yea, I got bored sadly.

This.

I played D2 for so long and it really was fun every single playthrough.  The loot grind was amazing.  Outside of a few obvious flaws, this game is easily top 3 all time for me.

I played D3 for less than a month.  The game took many steps backwards on all levels from D2.  I am shocked by how much I don't want to play this game anymore.  Everytime I log in, I log off after playing for 5-10 minutes.  It's just boring.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by 7star

http://www.alexc.me/a-scientific-explanation-why-diablo-3-is-less-addictive-than-diablo-2/417/

Any thoughts?

I've actually started playing D2 a couple of days ago and having more fun than I thought I would, in spite of the dated graphics. 

That's entirely up to the individual. He's also basing his argument on two false premises. That you have to use the auction house and that human beings prefer to be rewarded but not to be challenged. Humans aren't monkeys. They aren't Pavlov's dogs either.

There is no way anyone completes inferno without the use of the AH. The drops are nerfed because it is easier to get gear from the AH.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Mephster There is no way anyone completes inferno without the use of the AH. The drops are nerfed because it is easier to get gear from the AH.

inferno was beat within days after release, just sayin.

• bhimabhima Member Posts: 81

If it is, one of the other reasons could be: people who loved D2 didn't realize they've grown out of grinding gear all day every day in a loot pinata syle game. You get older, you get exposed to different, more complex games and the older style of motivation by loot drops just doesn't sustain enjoyment like it used to.

• MollariMollari Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by bhima

If it is, one of the other reasons could be: people who loved D2 didn't realize they've grown out of grinding gear all day every day in a loot pinata syle game. You get older, you get exposed to different, more complex games and the older style of motivation by loot drops just doesn't sustain enjoyment like it used to.

You see I loved grinding gear in Diablo 2. The posibilites of what could drop is what I loved. Diablo 3 is boring as hell. I killed inferno diablo on my barb without 1 item dropping from inferno that was an upgrade to what I had purchased (gold) on the AH. I found out I actually lose gold (pre RMAH) by playing the game. I was making gold hand over fist and upgrading my gear by playing the AH and getting maybe 300k by playing the game. I was making millions when I didn't actually log into the game past the AH. The drop rates killed the game for me. I had countless hours farming inferno and gained next to nothing. Probably sold 1-3 items that were decent. Nothing great dropped the whole time. I have now been playing the Path of Exile beta and love every minute of the grind for gear. IMO it is the real sucessor to Diablo 2.

TL;DR - Basically the grind is pointless as the drop rates suck and you get better gear/more money by not logging in and playing the AH. Thats the reason I don't play D3.

Edit: Spelling

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Yeah it's less addicting.  Mainly because I can't farm A4 Hell or A1 Inferno and expect to find stuff to help me in A2 Inferno and beyond.  I have a glass cannon DH at A2 Inferno Belial and a Barb at the beginning of A2 Inferno.  They are basically stuck unless I farm gold to buy items in the AH.  That's really boring to me.  I've been slowly leveling the other classes and a solo Barb instead.

I am eagerly awaiting 1.03, but any dreams I had of selling stuff on the RMAH are long dead thanks to the botters and the boredom of farming in the game in its current state.  The itemization and drops are terrible in D3 right now.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Yeah it's less addicting.  Mainly because I can't farm A4 Hell or A1 Inferno and expect to find stuff to help me in A2 Inferno and beyond.  I have a glass cannon DH at A2 Inferno Belial and a Barb at the beginning of A2 Inferno.  They are basically stuck unless I farm gold to buy items in the AH.  That's really boring to me.  I've been slowly leveling the other classes and a solo Barb instead.

I am eagerly awaiting 1.03, but any dreams I had of selling stuff on the RMAH are long dead thanks to the botters and the boredom of farming in the game in its current state.  The itemization and drops are terrible in D3 right now.

You beat me by a long shot. I cannot even be bothered to play through on Nightmare, heh. Maybe I am getting old, who knows, but once I wrapped the story up the first time, at around level 31 or so, I went right into "to-hell-with-this mode, it's summer." 

I doubt I will touch this game again, to be honest. There is enough coming out, and I have a busy summer both work and family wise, I am not even tempted.

So, to answer the OP, in my case, it is WAY less addictive than D2.

Originally posted by boonism
    TL;DR - Basically the grind is pointless as the drop rates suck and you get better gear/more money by not logging in and playing the AH. Thats the reason I don't play D3.

This is the horror that has dawned on me. 

I am looking to patch 1.03 and if that doesn't work, then it's D2 till TL2 comes out, hopefully soon.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by boonism

This is the horror that has dawned on me. 

I am looking to patch 1.03 and if that doesn't work, then it's D2 till TL2 comes out, hopefully soon.

Have you tried Path of Exile? Its a f2p Action Rpg. It has a very dark gritty setting, an amazing skill system, Loot thats exciting and a currency system that makes gold sellers avoid the game (because the game doesn't use gold lol).

If you toss the developers like 10 bucks you get access to the beta instantly, or you can sign up and wait.

Personally my favorite mechanic in the game is tha passive skill system its completely ripped off of final fantasy 10s grid system lol. 

Check out the Templar trailer on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjrpNrxOAQ

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Any thoughts?

That's entirely up to the individual. He's also basing his argument on two false premises. That you have to use the auction house and that human beings prefer to be rewarded but not to be challenged. Humans aren't monkeys. They aren't Pavlov's dogs either.

There are a lot of similarities. For example, some people get addicted very quickly even when they know that  many addictions are bad for for them.  Many addictions start out as habits. Also, most people would choose reward over challenge.

Genes, family history and social environment (including socio-economic situation) play a major role in formation of  non-substance related habits and addictions.

While humans are different from monkeys and dogs, there are many similarities in this particular issue.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

D3 is very addictive.

But i can predict it will have shorter lifetime than D2...why ?

Because D3 does not lock you into paticular build. So once you finished Inferno with peticular class you are pretty much finished (for that class)

I don't know about the less addicting bit thats a subjective thing but I do know currently that D3 does not have the potential of longevity that Diablo 2 had.

In Diablo 2 players played around with hundreds of specs and everytime they wanted to use a different spec they had to re-level. This adds a massive amount of playtime to a game. In Diablo 3 you simply switch skills out of combat, swap weapons and you're good to go. Basically roll one version of a class and you're done.

In Diablo 2 while the game was challenging Hell mode was nowhere near as unforgiving as D3s Inferno mode. D3 inferno mode is like a newb cockblock, its furstrating and people are getting bored because of it.

In Diablo 2 there were unique items, stuff people hunted for and the drops were better. In D3 every item has completely random stats. Nothing feels unique, Honesly you could get rid of the gear and place stat tokens in there place and it wouldnt make a difference.

In Diablo 2 people traded items in game and on websites for money but it was completely optional. You didnt feel like you needed to take part to progess. In Diablo 3 the AH/Trading is the focus of the game this leads to gold farming being a big part and many people from my experience get burnt out or bored farming gold.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

AH (and especially RMAH) flat out kills the fun in the game.

I made a point not to use AH. And am vastly underpowered compared to other people i meet in public games.

On the end as you say you are forced to use AH, wich reduces the game to pointless gold farming - or even worse "pay money to win the game"

And really , you really thought you will be able to compete with gold farmers on RMAH ?

You know I wish people would quit telling me I've done the impossible. It's going to make it hard to fit my head through doorways. I've done it. I'm not even that good, just persistant.

That's impressive.

So you're saying you beat the game killing Diablo in Inferno without resorting to the AH (either gold or RMAH)? Did you get lucky drops or just farm and get the items you needed? Did you roll DH or Wiz?

What's your secret?

How do you think patch 1.03 will affect the game?

I'm not saying it can't be done, because I haven't got that far. It just seems like it would be impossible based on what I've experienced so far. I've bought a lot of stuff on the gold AH whenever I got stuck and it boosted me right through the sticky part, so easily. I usually look for the cheapest items with the stat upgrades I need so I usually dropped like 150,000 gold every 3-4 levels and ramping up since I hit the mid 40s...now at 57. I think this can work, with the gold ramping up to 250,000 to 500,000 for my DH. But for the Barb, decent weapons are millions and I just don't want to grind that.

My barb is level 60 and parked in Act 1, inferno waiting for the DH to farm some gear/gold.  Don't know when that's gonna happen, though. :)

Wizards were broken early when the game released. They had a bugged out skill that literally made them unkillable.

The smart players knew this a rushed to the end of inferno before it was patched out.

When you see a player in a forum say You dont need the AH for items to progress 9 time out of ten they were a Wizard pre-balance patch the other time they were a DH before their fix lol.

As the game currently stands you can not clear all of Inferno Mode, I sad ALL OF INFERNO MODE by farming your own gear. its impossible. 

Edit: Again! ALL OF INFERNO Mode = Explore every area, kill everything that you find. 

You know I wish people would quit telling me I've done the impossible. It's going to make it hard to fit my head through doorways. I've done it. I'm not even that good, just persistant.

That's impressive.

So you're saying you beat the game killing Diablo in Inferno without resorting to the AH (either gold or RMAH)? Did you get lucky drops or just farm and get the items you needed? Did you roll DH or Wiz?

What's your secret?

I'm not saying it can't be done, because I haven't got that far. It just seems like it would be impossible based on what I've experienced so far. I've bought a lot of stuff on the gold AH whenever I got stuck and it boosted me right through the sticky part, so easily. I usually look for the cheapest items with the stat upgrades I need so I usually dropped like 150,000 gold every 3-4 levelsm and ramping up since I hit the mid 40s...now at 57. I think this can work, with the gold ramping up to 250,000 to 500,000 for my DH. But for the Barb, decent weapons are millions and I just don't want to grind that.

My barb is level 60 and parked in Act 1, inferno waiting for the DH to farm some gear/gold.  Don't know when that's gonna happen, though. :)

Do it with a demon hunter or witch doctor. It's just a matter of persistance and picking your fights when you can. It's difficult you can't just key spam your way through the mobs.  I think the auction house actually reduces replayability. The other thing is no law says you have to beat inferno in the first month, or ever. The ending doesn't change. If the difficulty of hell or even nightmare is enough for you play that for now. You'll eventually get to the point you wonder what the fuss was about and just do it. I played nightmare in D2 for almost ayear before even bothering with hell. I don't play D3 inferno much even now. It's just too much of a pain in the posterior.

You can beat Inferno with every class if you skip mobs. Thats never been the issue. Also it was much easier for DHs and Wiz pre-nerf. 

I made a thread about loot drops and you told everyone that you cleared inferno after I said it was impossible to gear yourself and clear it without skipping mobs. 

Yet now you're sayign you had to pick your fights? that's skipping mobs my friend.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Have to agree, Barb is Act 2 Inferno, DH is also Act 1-2 Inferno and both of them are struggling for gear to get any deeper.

I find the major issue is that we cant run through a level to a boss and get good loot, in fact most people simply ignore the boss's as asources of loot now which is just stupid, In diablo 2 people would teleport to a boss kill it get loot then make a new game, now I agree that sucked, but I think taking the good loot away from a boss is also a bad idea.

Bring back boss loot.

Originally posted by Z3R01

That's impressive.

What's your secret?

I'm not saying it can't be done, because I haven't got that far. It just seems like it would be impossible based on what I've experienced so far. I've bought a lot of stuff on the gold AH whenever I got stuck and it boosted me right through the sticky part, so easily. I usually look for the cheapest items with the stat upgrades I need so I usually dropped like 150,000 gold every 3-4 levelsm and ramping up since I hit the mid 40s...now at 57. I think this can work, with the gold ramping up to 250,000 to 500,000 for my DH. But for the Barb, decent weapons are millions and I just don't want to grind that.

Do it with a demon hunter or witch doctor. It's just a matter of persistance and picking your fights when you can. It's difficult you can't just key spam your way through the mobs.  I think the auction house actually reduces replayability. The other thing is no law says you have to beat inferno in the first month, or ever. The ending doesn't change. If the difficulty of hell or even nightmare is enough for you play that for now. You'll eventually get to the point you wonder what the fuss was about and just do it. I played nightmare in D2 for almost ayear before even bothering with hell. I don't play D3 inferno much even now. It's just too much of a pain in the posterior.

You can beat Inferno with every class if you skip mobs. Thats never been the issue. Also it was much easier for DHs and Wiz pre-nerf. 

I made a thread about loot drops and you told everyone that you cleared inferno after I said it was impossible to gear yourself and clear it without skipping mobs. 

Yet now you're sayign you had to pick your fights? that's skipping mobs my friend.

I posted I cleared it third try on my WD. I did it without skipping any mobs or any resetting the game other than when I quit for the day. Still died a lot. Go back and read the post. Better players have done it much easier. I can't do it on my barb I'm just not that good, or patient. I can probably do it by twinking my barb but hell you might as well use the auction house for that. I prefer to play clean. With any luck after 1.03 I can.

Well you are indeed a unique snowflake. TO clear all of inferno with a WD solo... thats amazing. 

Full clear too? I've watched Pro players streaming on Twitch who use the AH to build 250K Dps characters fail in act 3 yet you can do it by farming your own items...

Amazing. I wish you were a Twitch streamer because you would have like 20 thousand viewers a day watching you do that because there are 350k DPS Demon hunters, Wizards and Barbs that cant get out of Act 3.

Nothing unique about it. A lot of people have done it. Almost all of them are better at it than I'll ever be. You just have to be a hardheaded son of a gun. Most people don't find that enjoyable.  It wouldn't be very fun for people to watch me die time after time. I mean hell you play hardcore now right? I can't do that. I wouldn't make it through act 1 normal.

Ok I think we've both gone back and forth long enough lol.

Let's just hope the next major patch makes the game more enjoyable for us.

You should really give hardcore a go though. The community is much more relaxed than the softcore guys and the game is more focused toward the content and survival. Hardcore players have their own gold market and the pricing if you ever feel the need to buy something is much more reasonable. 

It doesn't have the taint of the Real cash AH imo and if you could hit 60 and get through hell the players at that level are amazing to play with. 

Anyway... Back to my HC Monk, laterz.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

By far. Not even close. Not even in the same vicinity, area code or country.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by stayBlind

Played D2 for years.

Played D3 for weeks.

Yea, I got bored sadly.

THIS!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Any thoughts?

To answer the title, yes. And here's why, replayability. There isn't any in D3. I stopped playing because really, after reaching inferno and doing the EXACT same quests as before with hardly any randomization it became clear what kind of game it would be.