Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pokemon MMO, would you play it?

Comments

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Well, the game has an incredible basis for PvP, that is for sure.  The exploration and humor alone could make the games worth it.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by azrael466
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Why would a Pokemon MMO be needed at all?

Why are ANY mmos needed at all? Why was WoW "needed", or EQ, or SWTOR, or guild wars or guild wars 2? Hint, they weren't. No MMO is "needed" that doesn't make it a bad idea.

Let me rephrase: what do pokemon players want from a pokemon game that requires a MMO? 

• FyronovaFyronova Member Posts: 36

Just imagine the influx of character names being taken such as;

Rush Cutchem

Ash Ketchup

Brock Obama

etc.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Fyronova

Just imagine the influx of character names being taken such as;

Rush Cutchem

Ash Ketchup

Brock Obama

etc.

Hahahahah Brock Obama... oh man... that made my day.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

Why are ANY mmos needed at all? Why was WoW "needed", or EQ, or SWTOR, or guild wars or guild wars 2? Hint, they weren't. No MMO is "needed" that doesn't make it a bad idea.

Let me rephrase: what do pokemon players want from a pokemon game that requires a MMO? 

Walking around in that world from the viewing point of the anime. Third person. Get to see your own pokemon as a 3d model and the immersion that comes with it.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Honestly, I wouldn't.  Doesn't matter that I'm much older than the series and never paid any attention to it.  Doesn't matter that I don't particularly care for Pokemon (although my kids do).  It would be almost entirely pointless farming and PvP, two things that I hate.  The games are bad enough, an MMO would be worse.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Because, its pretty much everything about the game only...bigger, obviously - pallet town would be an actual TOWN not 2 houses and the professors lab. You'd be able to see the pokemon instead of just walking through grass, theres also being able to communicate and group with other trainers in real time, trade and battle in person, not just over some wifi connection

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Not in a million years or if it was the last MMO alive on the market.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

I would be very interested in an MMO.  How would you accomidate group battles?  I have only played the old red and blue from my gameboy days, but as I recall battles were very much individual based.  Maybe you could sneak in a 2v2 battle...the key to this game would be a large open persistant world. 

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

You'd have the battles occurring in real time (though the attacks sequence could still be turn-based) in the game world environments instead of having random encounters that occur in a combat window like the handhelds.  The animations would occur in 3D, so flying pokemon would actually fly and water pokemon move through the water in combat.  Those concepts to me are the starting point for making the MMO its own experience, not simply a rehash of the handhelds connected to a server.

Any number of players would be able to come up and throw out a Pokemon to help, but with the weak ones, obviously there'd be little point.  Where grouping would come into play would be for average players getting to and knocking out the rares (Mewtwo, Arcticuno, Zapdos, Moltres) or the naturally occurring second or third evolutions (like Charizard).  You could even work element "combinations" into combat to encourage group play...for example, if you follow up my Squirtle's water gun with your Pikachu's thunder shock it could be 50% more effective.

GW2-style DE's with Team Rocket creating mischief or Pokemon swaming/stampeding/etc. could also be worked in.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

pokemon of my childhood possibly, but today's pokemon doesn't interest me.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

It would be the game I play from now until the day I die. I'm 25 and I don't give a fuck, pokemons battle system is the best, complex enough to be VERY tactical (if you disagree you've never competed properly) but simple enough for anybody to get.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391
    Originally posted by wartyxwt

It would be the game I play from now until the day I die. I'm 25 and I don't give a fuck, pokemons battle system is the best, complex enough to be VERY tactical (if you disagree you've never competed properly) but simple enough for anybody to get.

This. <3

Because, its pretty much everything about the game only...bigger, obviously - pallet town would be an actual TOWN not 2 houses and the professors lab. You'd be able to see the pokemon instead of just walking through grass, theres also being able to communicate and group with other trainers in real time, trade and battle in person, not just over some wifi connection

The "pallet town would be an actual TOWN not 2 houses and the professors lab" and "You'd be able to see the pokemon instead of just walking through grass" only requires some will from the developers, not necessarely a MMO. Note the difference between Final Fantasy I and XII: similar difference but neither are MMOs.  

The "theres also being able to communicate and group with other trainers in real time, trade and battle in person, not just over some wifi connecti" does also not need to be MMO at all. They can expand the multiplayer features so that you can invite other players to play in your world (see Animal Crossing but expanded) or even create a shared world with those you like, without  turning into a MMO. The PvP aspect just needs good matchmaking, and they can create an physical arena if they so wish where pvpers  can fight. 

• rcubanorcubano Member Posts: 68

I would never play a Pokemon MMO, but it seems as though it has the magic elements required for a successful game: it'd be fairly simple/easy to make, and it has a big audience for it.  I'm surprised it's not out already.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by Rockhide

Actually, that there is no official Pokemon MMO is to me pretty mind-boggling, except that they're probably still making a lot of money off the handheld games and the MMO would make the handheld versions obsolete for a number of players.

Nintendo being Nintendo.

The world of pokemon is so fleshed out and so many of the RPG features already fleshed out that translating it to an MMO would not be much of a problem. Not only that but since it's got such a huge fanbase, a Pokemon MMO could muster a huge budget in order to pack as many features as possible.

there have been unofficial attempts

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/02/nintendo-shuts-down-fan-made-pokemon-mmo/

Why There’s Not A Pokemon MMO

http://kotaku.com/5179687/why-theres-not-a-pokemon-mmo

Pokémon franchise director Junichi Masuda has an explanation.

"At this point, we're not thinking of going in that direction," says Masuda. "Trading is a core concept of Pokémon. So when you're trading, you meet with a friend and decide which one you want and which one they want. I would like to emphasize real-world communication. You don't see each other online."

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by Nadia

Actually, that there is no official Pokemon MMO is to me pretty mind-boggling, except that they're probably still making a lot of money off the handheld games and the MMO would make the handheld versions obsolete for a number of players.

Nintendo being Nintendo.

The world of pokemon is so fleshed out and so many of the RPG features already fleshed out that translating it to an MMO would not be much of a problem. Not only that but since it's got such a huge fanbase, a Pokemon MMO could muster a huge budget in order to pack as many features as possible.

"At this point, we're not thinking of going in that direction," says Masuda. "Trading is a core concept of Pokémon. So when you're trading, you meet with a friend and decide which one you want and which one they want. I would like to emphasize real-world communication. You don't see each other online."

Thats been said before, and I'll give you the same reaction that post got.

wifi, lolwhut.

Trading might be a core concept, but most people only do it for shinys/perfect EVs, and almost no one does it in person anymore. Its all wifi/computer.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

After the fun I've had lately playing Wizard 101 and Sword Girls, I think i might just enjoy a Pokemon MMO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Would I play a pokemon MMORPG possibly, but the chances of it being good is pretty small given how gamefreak seems to hate progress.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Eh. As with a lot of other IP's.... only... and only if you give the concept to a good developer.

We've seen what happened with Star Trek.

We've seen what happened with Star Wars.

It's very easy to take a good IP and make an MMO that feels like it actually came from some other universe and not the one you came for. There's nothing wrong with the concept, though.

I'm not too huge on Pokemon lore, from what I understand, it's similar to Digimon, you have you characters and they have their monster guy who evolves over time or something. So putting this in an MMO environment would be fine, and you could make it a PvEvP kind of game where you collect your group of friends and explore some area and you can bump into hostile trainers and stuff.

But that means the developer has to resolve all those issues. What's going on in the gameworld, and how it functions? How does it adapt to large amounts of players? How is the PvP handled? How is content preserved? Those are all old problems that haven't been properly resolved since 2004 and having the Pokemon IP on your MMO doesn't automatically resolve them.

The other alternative is a coop RPG game.

Originally posted by Freezzo

Walking around in that world from the viewing point of the anime. Third person. Get to see your own pokemon as a 3d model and the immersion that comes with it.

This, right here, would be the same for me.  And it would be neat seeing the regions all connected together.

Originally posted by Nadia

Nintendo being Nintendo.

You are a little late in quoting that.  Already done on the first or second page.

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56

i too was a massive fan, i think its a great idea, u clearly put lots of thought into it op

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

no.

Originally posted by lifesbrink
    Originally posted by Freezzo

This, right here, would be the same for me.  And it would be neat seeing the regions all connected together.

That just requires a 3D version of the current "real" 2D pokemon games. No MMO required. 

Edit: By "real" I mean those similar to the original Pokemon games, not things like Pokemon Snap & Pokemon Colosseum.