Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How I survived World of Warcraft

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

World of Warcraft is a good game, even if you hate it we all know its well put together.

On my Brothers request I started a new account in WoW around three months ago.

Since coming back there hasen't been a day where I havent logged into the game.

Imo World of Warcraft has the most soul sucking endgame i've ever witnessed and its players at max level make the game a million times worse. So with that said how have I survived this entire time? why havent I give up in disgust like my brother in three weeks?

By AVOIDING ENDGAME AND MAX LEVEL PLAYERS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think these people realize it but at endgame they make the game unbearable, Crying about item level, LFR, PVP, heroics, Dailies, Rep, Crafting... They turn something that's supposed to be fun and a leasurly activity into "Serious Business" similar to a full time job...

God forbid they run into anyone not minmaxing like a "Pro" they let you know about it, trade chat, guild and even the forums lol!!!

So Its been three months, and my max level character is a level 84 warrior.

I personally love leveling in this game, the world is large with a variety of locals, the questing is mindless fun, the leveling dungeons, BG maps are all goodtimes and the best part are the people!!

The people that level even the cross server ones are Nice and tolerant. 

Everyone has this laid back attitude that I wish would carry over to the games endgame. 

SO thats how I survived WoW, How I saved myself from its horrid community. 

If anyone here hasent played the game in a while and wants to check it out. Do yourself a favor, AVOID ENDGAME AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!

And maybe you will get as much joy  as I have during my return to Azeroth.

Happy hunting.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

I drop into WoW every now and again to get my Mage some decent gear before MoP comes out. As far as the community goes this isn't isolated to WoW by no means. This issue for some reason within the past couple of years has hit gaming like a plague. I seriously think its the rage inspired MOBA genre that fuels the fire but its more or less the kiddies turning towards PC gaming instead of the console. Why has this been building, I have no idea the best bet is to get in a guild and filter out all the mindless chatter that is global/local chat. As far as what I see on a day to day basis in WoW is nothing compared to the blame wars that break out in MOBA matches (League of Legends, I'm sure the other ones that are in this bracket suffer the same fate).

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

The worst thing about WoW is its popularity. The game is full of dudebros and asshats who not 10 years ago would of made fun of anyone just for mentioning everquest, but now video games and MMOs are cool so you have all the douche bag fratboys.

the only place with a bigger collection of them are online FPS like halo or COD.

I miss when WoW had a decent community, or just an active community. Sometimes I think about coming back but then..

Nope.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I'm currently doing the Ironman Challenge. It makes gear and talent build min-max irrellevant...because they are not allowed! heh

http://wowironman.com/rules

Level from 1-85 using the rules below.

1. Only White or Grey gear. No Heirlooms of any kind.
    2. No transfer of gear, items, or money from any other character (yours or others).
    3. No gear enhancements, including gems, enchanting, and reforging. Class abilities are allowed (eg. Rogue poisons, Shaman imbues).
    4. No specialization, talent points, or glyphs. No pet talent points.
    5. No professions or secondary skills, except for First Aid.
    6. No potions, flasks, or elixirs except for required quest items.
    7. No food buffs or other external buffs (including buffs from items and other players).
    8. No groups or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
    9. No dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, or arenas.
    10. No guilds, except for level 1 guilds created specifically for the Ironman Challenge.
    11. No Refer-A-Friend.
    12. No addons which assist in combat and/or leveling (eg. leveling guides, Ovale).
    13. THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character

The following are allowed:

1. All class abilities, racials, and personal buffs.
    2. All mounts, bags, and non-combat pets.
    3. All quests, including holiday events and dailies (unless prohibited by some other rule, eg. Fishing and Cooking dailies).
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Yea WoW community is still bad, but it did improve in last 2 years ( large number of assholes went in Rift and SW:TOR)
  • OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637
    Originally posted by Psychow

I'm currently doing the Ironman Challenge. It makes gear and talent build min-max irrellevant...because they are not allowed! heh

2. No transfer of gear, items, or money from any other character (yours or others).
    3. No gear enhancements, including gems, enchanting, and reforging. Class abilities are allowed (eg. Rogue poisons, Shaman imbues).
    7. No food buffs or other external buffs (including buffs from items and other players).
    10. No guilds, except for level 1 guilds created specifically for the Ironman Challenge.
    11. No Refer-A-Friend.
    12. No addons which assist in combat and/or leveling (eg. leveling guides, Ovale).
    13. THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character

3. All quests, including holiday events and dailies (unless prohibited by some other rule, eg. Fishing and Cooking dailies).

Most of those rules make sense, but no talent points? They are an integral part of character development, weird rule.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by OBK1
    Originally posted by Psychow

11. No Refer-A-Friend.

Most of those rules make sense, but no talent points? They are an integral part of character development, weird rule.

Yeah, I guess they wanted to make the challenge difficult. I would have like to do it as a shadow priest, but...without talent points there is no shadow priest...just priest.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Played WoW Since Vanilla, I must have raided a couple times in my whole WoW Time. I do not like it much and try to do it only with friends and family. As this is quite difficulty, mostly I do not raid.

I do heroic dungeons, make alts and loads of other stuff. So I know exactly where the OP comes from and mostly agree with him but for the fact that end game does not have to be painful.

It all depends on the people and you CAN find casual raiding groups and/or guilds that do not care about server firsts and stuff like that. It can be quite hard thougj.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• kitkat700kitkat700 Member Posts: 12

can't deny that it's still the best one even though it's fill now with pretenders... just doing my best avoiding them...

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226

RPPVE servers have decent communities. You dont have to roleplay. Just generally that server type attracts kinder, normal people

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Z3R01

World of Warcraft is a good game, even if you hate it we all know its well put together.

On my Brothers request I started a new account in WoW around three months ago.

Since coming back there hasen't been a day where I havent logged into the game.

Imo World of Warcraft has the most soul sucking endgame i've ever witnessed and its players at max level make the game a million times worse. So with that said how have I survived this entire time? why havent I give up in disgust like my brother in three weeks?

By AVOIDING ENDGAME AND MAX LEVEL PLAYERS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think these people realize it but at endgame they make the game unbearable, Crying about item level, LFR, PVP, heroics, Dailies, Rep, Crafting... They turn something that's supposed to be fun and a leasurly activity into "Serious Business" similar to a full time job...

God forbid they run into anyone not minmaxing like a "Pro" they let you know about it, trade chat, guild and even the forums lol!!!

I personally love leveling in this game, the world is large with a variety of locals, the questing is mindless fun, the leveling dungeons, BG maps are all goodtimes and the best part are the people!!

The people that level even the cross server ones are Nice and tolerant. 

Everyone has this laid back attitude that I wish would carry over to the games endgame. 

SO thats how I survived WoW, How I saved myself from its horrid community. 

If anyone here hasent played the game in a while and wants to check it out. Do yourself a favor, AVOID ENDGAME AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!

And maybe you will get as much joy  as I have during my return to Azeroth.

Happy hunting.

i have played the 7 day scroll of ressurection thingy and the game has failed to win me back . but it just be me .

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Dudek28

RPPVE servers have decent communities. You dont have to roleplay. Just generally that server type attracts kinder, normal people

This.  Though such servers still have their elitism crowds when it comes to what they do (role play).  If you go there and don't role play, however, it's a fairly pleasant experience (as long as you don't purposely interrupt or harrass people who are there for it).

I pretty much always role on a RP server for this reason.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Okay Blizzard. Here's the next idea to steal. GW2 level downscale. Make old content relevant.

5 million extra subs for sure. I would seriously consider coming back if we could do old stuff at the intended difficulty.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

This.  Though such servers still have their elitism crowds when it comes to what they do (role play).  If you go there and don't role play, however, it's a fairly pleasant experience (as long as you don't purposely interrupt or harrass people who are there for it).

I pretty much always role on a RP server for this reason.

Not onyl that I find RP servers super enjoyable to level on. the servers feel so much more alive. You have people all over the world RPing. Those servers dont feel so empty. Everyone doesnt just sit in the major cities Qing up. They are actually out in the world doing their thing. I personally dont RP but I find it super enjoyable just stumbling apon people is the most random of places RPing and its enjoying watching them.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Z3R01

AVOID ENDGAME AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehm... What the hell do you know about endgame? You haven't tried any of it.

And why is this a sticky?

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I recently returned to WOW after quitting shortly after Cata was released. One of the reasons that I quit was the immaturity of the community (at least on my server). My homecoming was a bitter reminder that nothing changed - I got invited to a guild, accepted and had fun with them for a day, then was delisted before I logged in the next morning! I took all my other toons out of the guild and only then did they ask me to return.

Anyway - thanks for the tip. Despite the rectums in the game I still enjoy it immensely. I love flying around, shapeshifting and the spotty but inane humor. Once I am done with GW2 (I expect I will last about 4-6 weeks) I will return full time to WOW and I will try a RPPVE server.

Thanks!

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I stopped playing WoW early in the wotlk, but i will buy MoP without any doubts. The game is good, but i normally get bored with the game, when ive done all the raids. But hey. It will be 3 very enjoyable months for me, so def worth the money. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The only way is to find a guild with likemended people. MMOs is as fun as the people you play them with.

With your attitude I have a feeling that you wont stay for longer than 6 months since the endgame is where all the focus is and that alting loses its charm pretty fast after you maxed out your first character. That is not meant as an insult or anything, I can in fact understand you pretty well since I have gotten rather tired of raids myself.

Maybe once you tire you should consider something with a no raiding endgame instead like Eve, GW2 or DDO (which to be fair have a little raiding but nowehere near Wows focus on it.