Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did SWTOR diminish GW2's story for you

1234568»

Comments

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Trol1some online FPS...

Why would you "waste" your time playing a - pen and paper game?

Because maybe you could learn something from it?

Whether social interaction or creative thought process, simple imagination or complex problem solution skills, tactics, strategy, the joy for creating something, there is a lot to be learned from roleplaying...

Jeez, really? I've had my SWTOR characters commit so many not so good deeds on a spur of a moment, partially because I felt they are right, but usually more so because I also felt that my character would react this way.

I find it amusing you're pushing RPing so hard in a topic about personal story, when basically either personal story.... GW2 or SWTOR... is pretty much antithetical to any serious RPing.

I mean, really.  There's only ONE bounty hunter player character in all of SWTOR, and everybody is playing various alternate reality versions of them.  Everybody with a class goes through the same story, just making slightly different decisions that don't actually change the path of the story. D:

(Note, I'm not saying GW2 is doing a better job of this)  Anybody who wants to be RPing a real character should be ignoring the hell out of the personal story in SWTOR or GW2, unless of course they want to be like EVERYBODY ELSE who happens to have the same story.

If I had a P&P DM who said 'Oh, you want to be a warrior?  Here.  Here's your character sheet, and you're going to go through these specific events, and when we get to those events, I'll give you 2, 3 choices on how to respond.  What, you had a better idea?  Screw that.  You're doing one of the choices I give you', I'd rebel and run the campaign myself and relegate that DM to the role of player.

Personal story isn't much like RPing, it's more closely akin to a Choose Your Own Adventure book. :T

Meow, you are basically right...

but these are the limitations of life!

I ended up with MMORPGs after my p&p RPG groups had started to desintegrate (mostly due to people rather playing online FPS) and with my first MMORPG (DAoC) I actually found something was living a bit in that old spirit: you could form a group and go out adventuring with your own character.

Now, there have obviously been feeble attempts at creating a real p&p RPG like setup in a few games, but usually very limited as far as success goes. - Here is to hoping for Neverwinter's Foundry!

Right now, if you don't have a actual p&p RPG group, or access to a virtual gaming table, or just want to play a - usually - templated character in a singleplayer game, the PS of SWTOR or GW2 are your best, your "onliest" hope.

And yes, forgive for accepting that these characters are again templated... but see, when I played the SWTOR beta, the first character I played was the Smuggler, and we clicked just fine!

Had I played a Sith Warrior or a JC or a trooper, I think I would not have been as easily hooked...

Yeah, so yes, you are right... but that's as good as it gets right now ;-)

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Trol1
    Originally posted by graggok

The fact I provided you

all the super offensive things you said.

removed..... this is an excercise in futility on my part, I am just feeding trolls I know I am correct I don't need his validation

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

(Note, I'm not saying GW2 is doing a better job of this)  Anybody who wants to be RPing a real character should be ignoring the hell out of the personal story in SWTOR or GW2, unless of course they want to be like EVERYBODY ELSE who happens to have the same story.

If I had a P&P DM who said 'Oh, you want to be a warrior?  Here.  Here's your character sheet, and you're going to go through these specific events, and when we get to those events, I'll give you 2, 3 choices on how to respond.  What, you had a better idea?  Screw that.  You're doing one of the choices I give you', I'd rebel and run the campaign myself and relegate that DM to the role of player.

Personal story isn't much like RPing, it's more closely akin to a Choose Your Own Adventure book. :T

just quoted in order to be repeated ...

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

The fact I provided you

removed..... this is an excercise in futility on my part, I am just feeding trolls I know I am correct I don't need his validation

Of course you are always right, you can never be wrong considering that you are a confirmed (by yourself) SW  nerd.

And yet, maybe, once in a while, don't you feel that bit of a doubt where you think, hm, maybe I could be wrong? Especially if I can't find a single source to back me up? Only source that prove me *gasp* wrong?

So, let's leave it at this: you have no clue what you are talking about, the topic had a fun little detour, is now back on track, and everybody will hace some ice creme later today. Okay? ;-)

The fact I provided you

Of course you are always right, you can never be wrong considering that you are a confirmed (by yourself) SW  nerd.

And yet, maybe, once in a while, don't you feel that bit of a doubt where you think, hm, maybe I could be wrong? Especially if I can't find a single source to back me up? Only source that prove me *gasp* wrong?

So, let's leave it at this: you have no clue what you are talking about, the topic had a fun little detour, is now back on track, and everybody will hace some ice creme later today. Okay? ;-)

NO the nazi symbolism is still prevelant in SW read the George Lucas Biography and you will know... you are just trying to flame bait me into submissin I just realized that no matter what facts I throw at you, you won't learn anything cause you the kool-aid that bio-ware gave you is poison and is slowly shutting down your brain function....I don't blame you I blame Bioware and EA for lobotomizing you to the truth.  Now go play with your barbies grown ups are talking here.

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Wouldn't the whole "SWTOR Nazi thing" be better argued on the SWTOR forums instead of here? Hardly seems relevant to GW2 in any way, shape or form.

Back to relevance and topic, having never played SWTOR it's obvious that there's no way those stories could have influenced me. That being said, I've so far liked the few story lines I've played and found myself wondering what's next (since the stories were cut off at level 20).

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Wouldn't the whole "SWTOR Nazi thing" be better argued on the SWTOR forums instead of here? Hardly seems relevant to GW2 in any way, shape or form.

Back to relevance and topic, having never played SWTOR it's obvious that there's no way those stories could have influenced me. That being said, I've so far liked the few story lines I've played and found myself wondering what's next (since the stories were cut off at level 20).

its started off productive I promise I started off saying that the GW2 storyline couldn't be ruined cause I didn't feel SWToR was a true SW game, and then I defended my point and it escalated from there, I apologize you are right

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Trol1some online FPS...

Why would you "waste" your time playing a - pen and paper game?

Because maybe you could learn something from it?

Whether social interaction or creative thought process, simple imagination or complex problem solution skills, tactics, strategy, the joy for creating something, there is a lot to be learned from roleplaying...

Jeez, really? I've had my SWTOR characters commit so many not so good deeds on a spur of a moment, partially because I felt they are right, but usually more so because I also felt that my character would react this way.

I find it amusing you're pushing RPing so hard in a topic about personal story, when basically either personal story.... GW2 or SWTOR... is pretty much antithetical to any serious RPing.

I mean, really.  There's only ONE bounty hunter player character in all of SWTOR, and everybody is playing various alternate reality versions of them.  Everybody with a class goes through the same story, just making slightly different decisions that don't actually change the path of the story. D:

Meow, you are basically right...

but these are the limitations of life!

I ended up with MMORPGs after my p&p RPG groups had started to desintegrate (mostly due to people rather playing online FPS) and with my first MMORPG (DAoC) I actually found something was living a bit in that old spirit: you could form a group and go out adventuring with your own character.

Now, there have obviously been feeble attempts at creating a real p&p RPG like setup in a few games, but usually very limited as far as success goes. - Here is to hoping for Neverwinter's Foundry!

Right now, if you don't have a actual p&p RPG group, or access to a virtual gaming table, or just want to play a - usually - templated character in a singleplayer game, the PS of SWTOR or GW2 are your best, your "onliest" hope.

And yes, forgive for accepting that these characters are again templated... but see, when I played the SWTOR beta, the first character I played was the Smuggler, and we clicked just fine!

Had I played a Sith Warrior or a JC or a trooper, I think I would not have been as easily hooked...

Yeah, so yes, you are right... but that's as good as it gets right now ;-)

Yeah, there's really only so much you can do to give people freedom in a game if you want to have a story.  A story basically has to be scripted in some fashion or another or its no story at all.  Yes, you can "pretend" that your character has a story in a completely freeform game like Minecraft, but the reality is that the game itself offers no story at all.  So basically, game stories boil down to branching logic...much like a Choose Your Own Adventure book like you say.

Also, in my experience, even P&P games have a decent amount of scripted stuff in them.  After all, the GM will typically plan some direction for players to go, and plan out some encounters ahead of time.  And, while the players are offered some freedom, they will generally be suttlely or not-to-suttlely pushed int he direction that the GM has planned.

I mean, it's possible for a GM and players to completely improv a game, but unless the GM is very quick, clever, and is very good at making encounters on the fly, then the adventure may be a bit lacking.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

I could care less about story. Seriously, who gives a crap about the "story". As long as the game is solid, fun, has an incredible end-game and has enough in-game tools to do many things within that game....then im one happy camper.

SWTOR, yeah, great little story, but guess what in the end its an abysmal failure....why, because the rest of the game was boring, unfinished, flat, broken. No epic story could save that.

So my 2 cents, just hope for a GREAT game, story is just fluff. Once your end-game you probably wont even remember what the hell the story is about.

Cant wait for launch!

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by GMan33

I could care less about story. Seriously, who gives a crap about the "story". As long as the game is solid, fun, has an incredible end-game and has enough in-game tools to do many things within that game....then im one happy camper.

I couldn't agree more, but a lot of poeple do care about a personal story in an MMO. Personally, I feel that shoehorning it in detracts from other, more important aspects of a multiplayer game. Besiades, I've never enjoyed an MMO plot (lore, mabye; but not plot). Even the personal story in GW2 didn't do anything for me, despite all of the effort they put into it.