Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm shocked from the reaction here vs official forums

D3lit3D3lit3 Member Posts: 95

There is a lot of negativity on these TSW boards here from beta testers, it was kind of bumming me out. Then I went on the official forums. 

It's like night and day. Everyone loves the game there, and the same concerns that are pointed out here (combat, cc, animation, replayability) are addressed and laid on the back burner with people still having lots of fun exploring and investigating. 

This confuses me. 

Comments

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

let em talk :)

11 days and counting.

Cant wait !

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

nice to hear! but what do you mean by laid on the backburner? thats its getting looked at or that its just not something they feel

they need to fix?

• jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197

You realize this is MMORPG.com right? Of course there is nothing but negativitey on these forums, go to any game forums on this site and you will see it. I learned long ago to only read these forums for entertainment and nothing more.

• shadowmageshadowmage Member UncommonPosts: 196

No that surpising. Fans hang out there everyone else hangs out here and from what I have seen it seems the boards are a lot more haterish on just about every game.

Emissary of Istaria
    imageimage

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by D3lit3

There is a lot of negativity on these TSW boards here from beta testers, it was kind of bumming me out. Then I went on the official forums.  It's like night and day. Everyone loves the game there, and the same concerns that are pointed out here (combat, cc, animation, replayability) are addressed and laid on the back burner with people still having lots of fun exploring and investigating.  This confuses me. 

Yeah, I found it kinda odd too. I took a glance there, people were very likeable, some were very smart and intelligent (followed some puzzle threads, they were mindtwisting O_o :-( ), but all in all a nice atmosphere. Which is sort of odd, it's been a while but in the months before TOR launched there was a lot of bickering and vitriol going on on the official TOR forums.

Maybe different groups of gamers, and different expectations?
    Originally posted by shadowmage

No that surpising. Fans hang out there everyone else hangs out here and from what I have seen it seems the boards are a lot more haterish on just about every game.

Im not talking about fan love/hate but about the fact that combat in this game is perhaps the aged feeling i get when playing it,

its reminding me of some old, what to call it, nes game? i like the looks, i like the environment, but the combat is just to

lacking. 

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by jmlane223

You realize this is MMORPG.com right? Of course there is nothing but negativitey on these forums, go to any game forums on this site and you will see it. I learned long ago to only read these forums for entertainment and nothing more.

This. Welcome to mmorpg.com. it is all about forum PVP here.

• Sandman24Sandman24 Member Posts: 47

Everyone will always have varied opinions on games.  I loved and hated TSW and unless they fix some things will not be paying for it when it comes out.  However, I currently pay for and play 3 mmos so my opinion is different from someone who currrently plays none or one.

The game to me was quite impressive from the atmosphere, graphics, investigation, ui, originality etc.  The sluggish or clunky controls were too much for me to look past, but someone who like graphics or setting etc won't care as much.  I'm the kind of guy that cares less about that and more about smooth gameplay and combat which this game does not have atm.

Go by your own opinion when you play beta or buy it and try it out and cancel if you don't like it.  It seems this game is far away from release when I play, but again I'm a stickler.

Originally posted by Sameer1979

OK, im glad you can introduce mmorpg.com, escpecially since your such a veteran here ;) 

its only recently its starting to become a pvp forum war, guess its since mmo´s became mainstream.

Originally posted by etlar

OK, im glad you can introduce mmorpg.com, escpecially since your such a veteran here ;) 

its only recently its starting to become a pvp forum war, guess its since mmo´s became mainstream.

You are welcome, I do what I can for noobs ;)

• AlistairAlistair Member UncommonPosts: 318

Honestly this site has become about the worst place you can go for an opinion on any game, forums wise.  This is the place where anyone who has ever been burned by an MMO comes to seethe with hate and spread it, and it's been years since I've felt the need to post but this is a perfect opportunity.

Simply put, take everything you see here with a grain of salt, all the hope is gone.

Killer 100% Socializer 40% Explorer 33% Achiever 27%

Originally posted by etlar

You are welcome, I do what I can for noobs ;)

Well thank you ;)

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

There is a lot of negativity on these TSW boards here from beta testers, it was kind of bumming me out. Then I went on the official forums. 

It's like night and day. Everyone loves the game there, and the same concerns that are pointed out here (combat, cc, animation, replayability) are addressed and laid on the back burner with people still having lots of fun exploring and investigating. 

This confuses me. 

It depends which forum you are on.  At the official site all negative threads get removed from general and many get deleted.  If you visit the open beta 1,2,or3 forums are plenty of complaints.   Anything very negative will get removed though, they deleted my beta review but didn't give me a warning or ban, think I wasn't constructive enough or maybe there are other posts pointing out the game is not ready to launch and needs another 6-12 months.  

The funny thing is I posted in the general forums, then it gets moved to "off topic" then to "beta 3" then deleted.

Originally posted by Alistair

Honestly this site has become about the worst place you can go for an opinion on any game, forums wise.  This is the place where anyone who has ever been burned by an MMO comes to seethe with hate and spread it, and it's been years since I've felt the need to post but this is a perfect opportunity.

Simply put, take everything you see here with a grain of salt, all the hope is gone.

Hope vanished when the internet turned into a cesspool of ppl with "i dont give a shit i know better, fuck you" attitude, its

not only here, its everywhere.

In line with what I read in another forum thread, it is the changing of times. Where as MMO's used to be full of mature adult players, they are now filled with kids. The assumptions for this were varied (industry's fault for themepark games, etc.) but REALLY the problem is computer's becoming cheaper, as well as the internet being affordable (and almost available everywhere). I say this because when MMO's were first gaining popularity PC's were still not widely owned like they are now (and high end systems were even more scarce). Also parents made their kids go outside, where as today it is normal and OK for kids to be on the PC all day. 

So with that said, a combination of everyone being able to own a PC, and parents allowing kids to play on them as long as they want... the shift is that you get younger and younger gamers, so hence the immaturity compared to how things used to be. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The folks on the official TSW forums expressed their concerns about the combat animations and feel during the first beta weekend. The devs responded by saying they are working on it. Then the forum members accepted that and moved on. That doesnt happen here. You will get new threads started about the same old shit on an hourly basis. People have a hard time letting go and moving on around these parts.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I disagree. At least on this site you get a variety of views instead of the circle jerk you get from most of the offical forums.  The rest of your post I agree with. The diversity would be great if people could actually learn how to respect other peoples opinions and not feel the need to attack anyone who disagrees with them. As someone else said its not just here it's the internet in general.

In line with what I read in another forum thread, it is the changing of times. Where as MMO's used to be full of mature adult players, they are now filled with kids. The assumptions for this were varied (industry's fault for themepark games, etc.) but REALLY the problem is computer's becoming cheaper, as well as the internet being affordable (and almost available everywhere). I say this because when MMO's were first gaining popularity PC's were still not widely owned like they are now (and high end systems were even more scarce). Also parents made their kids go outside, where as today it is normal and OK for kids to be on the PC all day. 

So with that said, a combination of everyone being able to own a PC, and parents allowing kids to play on them as long as they want... the shift is that you get younger and younger gamers, so hence the immaturity compared to how things used to be. 

Quoted for truth.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

It really isn't that unusual to see diehard fans hanging out on the official forums and praising a game.  But as with most things, even on this forum, things should be taken with a grain of salt.

The FFXIV beta forums were full of praise for the game and how awesome it was by the diehard fans, and look how well that game turned out.

Judge the game for youself by playing it, not by comments on a forum.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

This confuses me. 

Odd...  This was my first time in TSW beta and it convinced me that I want the game afterall despite being published by those insufferable cock-knockers at EA *spits in their general direction*.

Perhaps it's that knowledge (EA being the publisher) that creates the venom you're seeing, and it's less likely to be censored and locked here as opposed to the "official" forums.

Originally posted by Shoju

It really isn't that unusual to see diehard fans hanging out on the official forums and praising a game.  But as with most things, even on this forum, things should be taken with a grain of salt.

The FFXIV beta forums were full of praise for the game and how awesome it was by the diehard fans, and look how well that game turned out.

Judge the game for youself by playing it, not by comments on a forum.

I agree. What I really find this site useful for is two things, one was already stated (entertainment). The other thing I use it for is to find the name of a new MMO to try and play when I am between MMO's (beats google). Best thing to do when looking for a new game to try is look at the features and see if they are things you would like

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Lol. But yeah, true, every word of it image

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

People tend to focus in one the aspects they REALLY like or REALLY hate.  Official forums are typically places where people enjoy the game or are already fans of the game.  I see a lot of people on MMORPG.com that think because they've played X many amount of MMOs, they not only know what makes a good game (or easily identify a "bad" one) they believe they know what the masses will like as well.

That said, I enjoyed my short time in Secret World, but I didn't get an MMO feel from it.  I can see myself running through it once for the horror themed story (anything Lovecraftian gets me) but then not bothering with it once afterward.

It was pretty okay.  It wasn't the worst thing I played, but it certainly wasn't the most engrossing either.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

This confuses me. 

Many people tend to be very negative on here and feel the need to rip everything.  I have learned not to trust much of what I read on these forums.  Trust me there are some very good posts here, pro and con for games, but more often than not, I find I need to play things myself to see what I think and if it will work for me.  If you like the game, it doesn't matter what others think, play it and enjoy it.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

This confuses me. 

If it makes you feel any better the ToR and WAR forums were similarly filled with positive shennanigans.

Trust no one but yourself.  Only you can decide what you like.

This discussion has been closed.