Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ex-players who continue to haunt forums

Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

We've all seen them; people who quit/hate a game yet for whatever reason cant "move on" and are still obssessed with the game and convincing everyone it sucks. Why do you think they do it?

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Because they are confused and don't want to hate the game.

By convincing others, they're trying to convince themselves.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Stockholm Syndrome? ^_^

Or maybe it's the same kinda person that handles breakups irl horribly, and tend to stalk their ex or keep talking bad about her/him for ages.
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Its discussion.  People talk about things in general they hate or dont like.  People also talk about things they love or do like.  And everything in between.   Thats just the nature of discussion. 

When the subject is gaming, or mmorpgs, expect the same.  Thats just human nature. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Because they are being good samaritans and trying to keep people from making the same mistake they did. And they speak from experience. But more seriously better learn the rules of engagement for forum PVP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    Stockholm Syndrome? ^_^

Or maybe it's the same kinda person that handles breakups irl horribly, and tend to stalk their ex or keep talking bad about her/him for ages.

I kind of get the same impression. Simple discussion is one thing, but making it your life's goal to try to get other people not to play a game(or go out with an ex) is completely different.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

It's all about the forum PVP. People seem to really enjoy this type of "combat". I see it on all kinds of different internet forums. I wouldn't take it too seriously and let it get to you, though. Hell, sometimes it can actually be mildly entertaining ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Kyleran

Because they are being good samaritans and trying to keep people from making the same mistake they did. And they speak from experience. But more seriously better learn the rules of engagement for forum PVP.

There are rules? O_o

Damn, that must've been that book that I got and threw away when I first started visiting this site ^_^ Ah well, learn by doing :D
  • ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I would expect most of the dislike is because a reaction to the fanticism of the crazy fanboys and all the disinformation put out by fanboys,

The sad thing is most of these haters were once fanboys.  They follow a pattern with every game.  Extremely hype their game and ignore all warning signs blindly defending their game while attacking  anyone who points out a fault in their game.  After a few weeks of playing and becoming bored they turn 180 degrees and attack their old game and anyone that defends it and move on to hypoing their next game.  The problem is these players are not MMO players and they will never find a MMO that will keep their attention long.  Simply because they have no attention span and constantly need to be entertained.  They spend more time posting here and calling people names then they ever will spend playing a MMO.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Some companies deserve to crash and burn, one angry forum post at a time.   Death by a thousand cuts.

Because they are being good samaritans and trying to keep people from making the same mistake they did. And they speak from experience.

Ironically, many of the people who behave this way are very hostile and insulting to people who disagree with them, which is the exact opposite of a "good samaritan".

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Because they are being good samaritans and trying to keep people from making the same mistake they did. And they speak from experience.

Ironically, many of the people who behave this way are very hostile and insulting to people who disagree with them, which is the exact opposite of a "good samaritan".

Some great quote states: Some people just want to see the world burn - especially if they're not enjoying themselves in it ^_^
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The worst is when there is a game you genuinely like on some level that is fatally flawed on a different level. 

This can happen in many ways.  One way is that you played to the end or worse near it -- say to level 57 in a level 60 game and then your class gets a massive nerf.  Now you will never be as powerful as you once were and are now facing a gear treadmill that will just take you partway.  You enjoy the game but the experience of the character is ruined.

This can happen via server merge or population shift in a pvp game -- IE you enjoyed playing the game a lot and your server is relatively balanced.  Now you have a merge and you are all of a sudden an extreme underdog.  Your home city gets raided every single day and your side has no hope.  And it is now no longer fun.

Then there is the endgame bait and switch.  You have a lot of fun playing to the level cap and then the game changes a lot.  It may have been solo friendly but now everything requires a group.  OR you might (as in rift) have had tremendous lattitude in the kind of equipment you wore -- ie lets say you had all purple valor items.  Now you have an artificial mechanic (toughness) that you MUST get.  Every upgrade is a downgrade except for the artificial stat.

Then there are changes to how game skills interact.  You had a fairly unique way that you played your character and by piecing together skills and items that were maybe not intended for your class, you are able to take it into a role or hybrid role that people generally did not consider.  It was the heart of your character.  Then it is swept away // no longer works.  Now your character is forced to conform.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

There are rules? O_o

This isn't Nam, this is MMORPG.  There are rules.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

No on this forum I believe the proper name for this is Trolling.

"Hey dont believe the hype for game X Y and Z because I played it and its misleading hype."

"STFU you troll, and go back to cave!! people that like it are playing and not on forum. only haters are on forum!!"

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

My case with SWG was revenge and I am proud I am one of the thousands who helped SWG:NGE become one of the biggest failures in MMORPG history.

Other cases, I guess with newer games, is because the games are crap that is being proped up with BS marketing and gimmicks and the people who bought into it feel ripped off.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Thats how forums seem to work generally. Someone posts their stupid idea, then I post my stupid idea, then someone post their stupid idea of how my stupid idea is stupid until someone realizes that the whole argument is stupid or we both just run out of stupid idea's to respond to said stupid idea. You also have your trolls that get excited when they can get a rise out of people, I guess it gets them happy and they clap their little Dorito stained hands together with powdered cheese flying everywhere when people respond to them.

Then again there are some informative posts here and there too.

I think it mostly comes down to boredom, while not having a game you like to play at the current moment.

Could be also you search and search for a trace of a game that interests you in the pipeline that gets your buds dripping with anticipation then it ultimately lets you down in the end, like most games have for alot of people recently. So your left a bitter and cynical person since you feel you were betrayed, yet again and are still left without a game that you enjoy.

I try not to pass judgement on a game until I have had my hands on it, then if it sucks I stop playing. I have no need to post on here or on the games forum constantly about a game that I think sucks. Maybe one or two posts but most of the time none, because its a waste of time.

Originally posted by MMOman101

There are rules? O_o

Dammit! Screw the rules!! >(

I love the smell of forum napalm in the morning :D
  • Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

My case with SWG was revenge and I am proud I am one of the thousands who helped SWG:NGE become one of the biggest failures in MMORPG history.

Other cases, I guess with newer games, is because the games are crap that is being proped up with BS marketing and gimmicks and the people who bought into it feel ripped off.

The game lasted for 8 years guess you guys didn't try hard enough. If you really wanted it to become biggest failure of MMO industry you should have helped it die as soon as NGE was released. SWG had it run and died natural death, don't pat your back for it.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

There are rules? O_o

LOL. Very well done, sir, and thank you :)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Sameer1979
    Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

The game lasted for 8 years guess you guys didn't try hard enough. If you really wanted it to become biggest failure of MMO industry you should have helped it die as soon as NGE was released. SWG had it run and died natural death, don't pat your back for it.

Its hard to even call it natural, since it was right before the launch of TOR and fairly obvious that LA didnt want 2 SW MMOs running at the same time. Your point is valid though; the game lasted much longer post NGE than pre, so the people warring against it must have been doing something wrong. In fact I'll wager that it would still be going now if TOR hadnt come out.

Originally posted by Cecropia

There are rules? O_o

LOL. Very well done, sir, and thank you :)

^_^
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It drives me effin' crazy.

There are very few games I simply didn't like, and I only tend to chime in when posters are spouting blatant falsehoods or to give a piece of my mind when someone asks the general populace their opinion on it. I've never started a thread in order to state my opinion on it, and I don't go out of my way to do research solely for the chance to bring a case against said games, so it really gets on my nerves when I see others do it.

As for the people that do it, and *why* they do it... I think it's a mixture of wanting attention and/or liking to hear themselves over others. Nothing out there deserves that much negative presence just for the sake of it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I can only control my own actions and attempt to avoid repeating the behaviours I dislike seeing in others.

This discussion has been closed.