Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Swtor needs to last 8 years like SWG did.

1. Housing people like a place to show off there cool in game stuff they aquired. Read player towns below good place to have this.

2. Five new classes

A. Terakasi - Empire

B. Beast Master - Republic

C.  Imperial Trooper - Empire

D. Republic Officer - Republic

E. Entertainer to give you some buffs - Republic and Empire

3. Guild Capital Ships - Coming

4. New planets where guilds and build player towns that can be attacked by the oposition. These towns can spawn NPCS that drop nice items Blues and a few purples. When the attackers come they spawn NPCS that Defenders can kill and get blues and purples. Some how track this in the PVP ratings towns taken towns defened etc.

5. Crafters being able to make the good stuff 95% as good as pve and pvp gear.

6. A pvp planet that spawns NPCS that drop rare crafting items that you normaly get it operations twist here is groups of people would be fighting over them IMP vs IMP, PUB vs PUB, IMP vs PUB.

Thats a few of my ideas.

Ajax

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by ajax7

1. Housing people like a place to show off there cool in game stuff they aquired. Read player towns below good place to have this.

The only way I could see myself supporting housing is if they kept it contained on one planet, and I mean just ONE planet. Don't litter Tatooine or any other level planet in game with that crap. Make a seperate planet with social hubs for it and have at it.

2. Five new classes

A. Terakasi - Empire

I said it before launch and I'll say it again, they should have had EVERY class start off as neutral and then have faction choice based on decisions made in the storyline. It would have given so much more meaning to the choices you make and made alt rolling more fun. Not saying the storylines in game aren't fun, but from a design standpoint it would have been a whole lot simpler and more interesting. Then there wouldn't be any need to add trooper classes and smugglers to empire and bounty hunters and agents to the republic.

Entertainers and Beast Masters would be interesting, but only as a sideline like crafting is. Teras Kasi would be the one on your list that I could see as a legitamite class unto itelf.

4. New planets where guilds and build player towns that can be attacked by the oposition. These towns can spawn NPCS that drop nice items Blues and a few purples. When the attackers come they spawn NPCS that Defenders can kill and get blues and purples. Some how track this in the PVP ratings towns taken towns defened etc.

This goes back to point one. Make a planet for housing and add everything you just described. That would be the only way I'd enjoy housing  because it would have more meaning to it than just  rows of ugly littering the landscape.

Another thing I was for pre-launch that was ignored. Sadly, the gear grinders won and crafting is mostly meaningless in this game. It's a shame because I enjoy making things in this game more than I have for any other MMO.  Problem is that the best stuff is aquired in game thru quest givers and drops so what's the point? For my bounty hunter I use orange gear and rip out the mods in that butt ugly PVP gear. No need to see a crafter for anything.

6. A pvp planet that spawns NPCS that drop rare crafting items that you normaly get it operations twist here is groups of people would be fighting over them IMP vs IMP, PUB vs PUB, IMP vs PUB.

See point one and four.

Thats a few of my ideas.

Good ideas for the most part.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I said it before launch and I'll say it again, they should have had EVERY class start off as neutral and then have faction choice based on decisions made in the storyline. It would have given so much more meaning to the choices you make and made alt rolling more fun. Not saying the storylines in game aren't fun, but from a design standpoint it would have been a whole lot simpler and more interesting. Then there wouldn't be any need to add trooper classes and smugglers to empire and bounty hunters and agents to the republic.

Completely agree as i've also been saying this for a while.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Completely agree as i've also been saying this for a while.

The only reason I can think of for them doing it like they did is they were clearly overly worried about class and faction balance. That's why we had comments like " A player should know what he is up against based on gear and weapon." I know it was very hard to balance PRE-CU SWG with the insane amount of templates that players could create, but I think devs always worry too much about balance to begin with. It's difficult to judge if a class is too powerful when you have to take into account gear, buffs and playe skill. So they spent all that time pre-launch balancing the game only to throw it overboard with the first patch because some players b*tched when they got owned in PVP. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Hell OP, the Sony All Access Pass is what the game needs if it wants to have no doubts it makes 8 yrs.

If it can prop up SWGs tired ass sub numbers, it can for any game.

Ents have no place in this game. The same for housing....we got our ships.

More combat classes I am on board with, but stuff like that would have to be for paid content cause the work would be huge. The majority of your other suggestions is about PVP....PVE subs are at like 2 to 1 over PVP, and perhaps a slight bit more. You start throwing all the money to the PVP side, and you are gonna see upset campers on the PVE side.

Ilum is the PVP planet. BW needs to fix it.

This game isnt a sandbox, and it would be a NGE to try to make it one with your suggestions. I understand that stuff appeals to ya, but it doesnt fit in with what we have IMO.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

2. Five new classes

A. Terakasi - Empire

Thats a few of my ideas.

At least you're trying.   More than BioWare as far as I can tell.

• OzimandeusOzimandeus Member UncommonPosts: 84

What they need is either a HUGE amount of people playing, or a reduction in the number of servers.. at the moment it just isn't a MMORPG - due to lack of people playing..

More people seem to be on the old Guild Wars than SWTOR!!

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Ozimandeus

What they need is either a HUGE amount of people playing, or a reduction in the number of servers.. at the moment it just isn't a MMORPG - due to lack of people playing..

It may seem like it...  And if it were true I'd make sure people knew...   But it's not.   Now, there more people were on GW2 last weekend.   There may be more on TSW beta this weekend (I'm one of them).  

And SWTOR keeps dropping and is close to being passed by Aion and Tera and Eve...   But right now it's still, if only barely, holding onto the #2 NA/Europe MMO spot.

Now, we factor in Asia...   No.   Lineage I and Lineage II have more players.  As does Aion and a couple of other MMOs. 

Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Ozimandeus

It may seem like it...  And if it were true I'd make sure people knew...   But it's not.   Now, there more people were on GW2 last weekend.   There may be more on TSW beta this weekend (I'm one of them).  

And SWTOR keeps dropping and is close to being passed by Aion and Tera and Eve...   But right now it's still, if only barely, holding onto the #2 NA/Europe MMO spot.

Now, we factor in Asia...   No.   Lineage I and Lineage II have more players.  As does Aion and a couple of other MMOs. 

Asian subs are worth like 50 cents per month compared to a NA sub of 15 bucks.

Like you said, no matter what the haters wanna say, TOR is still in the number 2 slot. It isnt dead like the many trolls would have us believe, and that is with all the mis cues made by BW.

Devs have been working on issues, and adding more content. With the server consolidation, I see a bright future, and not a shut down in a yr or two prediction so many wish to display.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

SWG is eight or nine years old, your thinking is 8/9 years old too.

You seem to think MMO's are made to last years, they are not. They used to be but the huge numbers of them, a very migratory player base and the take over by corporate ideology has changed all that.

They now release like a solo game. Did the box sales and first few months subs make their investment and a big profit for TOR? The answer is yes. Do MMO companies want to be putting money into a game with a dwinderling population? The answer is no.

SWTOR made its money, now it will be wound down. The staff numbers have already been cut, it's there to see. This wind down may take a few years, but the idea they will put in all you say is a non starter.

MMO players need to wake up and smell that corporate coffee. They are not making MMO's like we used to play anymore, we now only get a solo game wrapped up in a MMO box.   

Originally posted by Scot

You seem to think MMO's are made to last years, they are not. They used to be but the huge numbers of them, a very migratory player base and the take over by corporate ideology has changed all that.

They now release like a solo game. Did the box sales and first few months subs make their investment and a big profit for TOR? The answer is yes. Do MMO comapnies want to be putting money into a game with a dwinderling population? The answer is no.

SWTOR made its money, now it will be wound down. The staff numbers have already been cut, it there to see. This wind down may take a few years, but the idea they will put in all you say is a non starter.

MMO players need to wake up and smell that corporate coffee. They are not making MMO's like we used to play anymore, we now only get a solo game wrapped up in a MMO box.   

That makes no sense what so fucking ever.

LoTRO went F2P, and yet they have another expansion coming this fall. I believe that game is 5 yrs old now.

Devs will keep producing content if it is profitable for them to do so. Whether it is this game, or a PB Cruncher online....if the money is there, the companies are willing to do what it takes to get it.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Sugestions are good, but thing is: during the development there were many many many sufgestions of various kind, from bad to good, there were many many many people willing to invest a lot of time into it.

They only had to pick few good ones, but they didnt. They stuck to WoW template like theres nothing else or different out there.

There were myriad of complaints about lack of innovation or variety, but it was all brushed aside by devs and fanbois.

Unfortuntely it bit the in their a**es.

Originally posted by Moaky07

That makes no sense what so fucking ever.

LoTRO went F2P, and yet they have another expansion coming this fall. I believe that game is 5 yrs old now.

Devs will keep producing content if it is profitable for them to do so. Whether it is this game, or a PB Cruncher online....if the money is there, the companies are willing to do what it takes to get it.

LOTRO has content update roughly every 5-6 months, one of them being paid expansion.

And yah, i have lifetime sub to LOTRO and played it roughly 3 years combined (best money investment ever)

Dont wish things you DONT want to happen.

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Scot

They now release like a solo game. Did the box sales and first few months subs make their investment and a big profit for TOR? The answer is yes. Do MMO comapnies want to be putting money into a game with a dwinderling population? The answer is no.

SWTOR made its money, now it will be wound down. The staff numbers have already been cut, it there to see. This wind down may take a few years, but the idea they will put in all you say is a non starter.

Yes, and the answer to this train wreck in design philosophy is to divest ourselves of the PR and and armani suit wearing asshats. Honestly, think about it, what good have they done? Nothing! Big publishers and investors do nothing but but screw developers, ruin games, and shaft gamers, and all in favor of greed. They are only interested in quick cash, it doesn't matter if it's tvs, tuna, or games, they don't care. Profit, profit, profit.

Granted, the reason for business is to make money. However, if developers were allowed to pour their passion into their work, we would get much better games which would have much more longevity. The truth is they can't because big publishers and investors control the purse strings, and as the old saying goes, he who has the gold makes the rules.

All in all though, I believe the genre would emerge better off it SWTOR did fail. Why? Because, if it does fail, investors would pull their money out of it, but with that they would also pull out their influence, and thus their would be less money to polish turds. Aren't we all sick of playing games which are nothing but turds with a brilliant sheen? Because of this games would have to stand on substance, not hype and fake polish.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

2. Five new classes

A. Terakasi - Empire

Thats a few of my ideas.

Trying to make ToR like SWG will end no better than trying to make SWG like WoW did. ToR is what it is. Some people may find the game flawed at it's most basic levels, other people love it. If there is one thing I have learned is that trying to change a game to make it more like another game is the recipe for failure.

• oarkingoarking Member UncommonPosts: 7

what we really need is all in the pre-CU swg. you started out with nothing and you had an actual reason to play, you had 12 main professions to work through and then you could join a faction if you wanted and put those professions to good use. being a soldier took training, being a jedi or a sith was an actual epic quest and you were rewarded if you could complete it. not this, "hail jedi! i assume you've never used your powers before, but there's no time to practice, here's a lightsaber you didn't build yourself now go figure out how to use those powers you didn't earn!"

Originally posted by oarking

what we really need is all in the pre-CU swg. you started out with nothing and you had an actual reason to play, you had 12 main professions to work through and then you could join a faction if you wanted and put those professions to good use. being a soldier took training, being a jedi or a sith was an actual epic quest and you were rewarded if you could complete it. not this, "hail jedi! i assume you've never used your powers before, but there's no time to practice, here's a lightsaber you didn't build yourself now go figure out how to use those powers you didn't earn!"

Viva la Pre-CU FTL.

SWG already crashed n burnt. I find it amusing that folks suggest those playing TOR should want it morphed into a failed game.

If folks wanted the PRECioUs, they would of played it. There never would of been a CU, let alone a NGE.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Viva la Pre-CU FTL.

SWG already crashed n burnt. I find it amusing that folks suggest those playing TOR should want it morphed into a failed game.

If folks wanted the PRECioUs, they would of played it. There never would of been a CU, let alone a NGE.

Even though I don't disagree with a lot of what you say I really have to ask what is up with this pretty intense hatred of SWG and sandbox games in general?

• oarkingoarking Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by oarking

Viva la Pre-CU FTL.

they did and they loved it. when soe released cu hundreds of thousands of people canceled their subs and the game nose dived. the only reason it lasted as long as it did was because it was backed by soe. ever since then there have been dozens of indie servers trying to bring back the pre-cu gameplay. their shortcomings aside, if any game of any genre had the same class, profession, crafting, and challenging gameplay it would be be enormously popular.

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

2. Five new classes

A. Terakasi - Empire

Thats a few of my ideas.

SWTOR doesn't deserve any fresh new ideas. Or anything to make it resemble SWG's greatness. A fresh coat of paint? to late for that. With BW's half assed character balance and half assed content they'd take you're great ideas and half ass them.

I'd apply these to a better game.

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

No thanks, I'll take SWG back before NGE thanks!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

What SWTOR needs to last 8 years? A miracle! Or a time machine!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SumterSideSumterSide Member Posts: 31

What SWTOR needs to last 8 years:

Get rid of EA

/thread

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Can't really compare between Swtor and SWG.

SWG was built as a virtual world. Swtor was built as a virtual storybook.

Storybook, you read it, and you either store it, sell it, if you feel bored enough, read it again.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

LOL. anyone really think this game will last 8 years?

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I hate to say it but, I got a lot more enjoyment out of SWG than SWTOR... As flawed as it was the crafting and sandbox features kept it interesting... cause there was a real community. People working together for common goals. People putting together huge social events. Purely social classes... the list goes on.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

"What SWTOR needs to last 8 years?"

They need to buy the rights to galaxies and rework it. Then they would have a better chance. In 2004, Galaxies was better than TOR will ever be.