Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tis a shame :-/

Comments

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Rabenwolf
    Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by Rabenwolf One of the smaller things that annoyed me was the generic asian stereotyping. If you create an asian themed faction character, you are presented with a city that is supposed to be Korean, yet is riddled with chinese and japanese imagery, signs and a utter generic asian look. Asian players will probably find it insulting.
      Im sorry to call you out on this, but you really have no idea what youre talking about. When you choose Dragon, you are dropped of in Bukchon Hanok Village, which is one of Seoul's oldest cities and reflects quite accurately what Seoul looks like today. They even have familiar Seoul skyscrapers in the background. So before you decide to go on a multiple thread rant about authenticity, do a little research first. Because you are pretty much your own stereotype right now.
    Please check your reading comprehension skills. My opinion is what I call a minor annoyance based on the imagery. As an artist who makes such content, I am also speaking from that perspective. To call my opinion a rant when its a small thing people like you like to jump on is getting a bit rediculous.

I would argue that for that very reason, the historic korean landmarks, which become more recognizable should not be converted into generic asian themed level design. You are free to disgree, but just dont be an ass about it.

You're defending your own ignorance. Brilliant! Im not going to multi quote you since you know what you've been going on about. But to say that Korean people would be offended by "generic asian" level design when referencing a very faithful replica of one of Seoul's oldest residential districts is really sad. Funcom not only references the overall design of a Korean landmark, but details the foliage and wall textures as well as shops and advertisements seen in the actual district. You know they went on location and took tons of photos and videos for reference when making this zone? And yes, I cal it a rant when you bring it up in multiple posts trying do defend your uneducated view. Then fall back on "minor annoyance" when you get called out for not having a clue.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Babeman

This games graphics are really nice, animations are decent, voice acting is good, atmosphere is good, but the combat is just SOOO awful! It's seriously like playing a rouge in WoW (oh NOES I compared it to WoW!) and tapping one skill up to 4-5 times to burn the accumulated points with another skill. EVERY weapon plays the same, even ranged and melee feel the damn same. Them feeling the same would be fine if the combat at all felt satisfying.

Everytime I encountered a mob I just sighed with a "ugh here we a go again...", it should be "YES a mob I want to fight them!" you know, because the combat in any GAME should be fun and not a chore? Even AoC's combat was much better and they made the damn game. It's a shame that such a insanely huge mechanic was so underdeveloped when you would be doing it for hours upon hours.

Such a dissapointment, I'm glad I got to play the beta before buying this trash.

Babeman hits the way i feel about TSW right on the head minus the last sentence, for me (at least for now) it is more about playing a game with a fresh new approach and feel, an alternative to all of the standard edition WoW clones if you will..

I really disliked TSWs combat system and see it as the games worst feature, the game also has some seriously annoying grouping problems however i think the games horror survival overtone and atmosphere is awesome but just not what i am looking for at this time..

Playing GW2..

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Well this thread is spectacularly off track xD

Anyway, I do think TSW can be a success, but it needs a radical redesign of the combat and the "gameplayability".

It needs another year in development before release.

Simply put, it is not ready, if it releases anything like this, it will fail, badly.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by rav500

People talking down to this game now are either payed by other developerrs to do so, manic depressed or have no life.

Lol, you are delusional.   But go ahead and buy the game, it's your money, just dont come whining on the forum after 2-3 days.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    Originally posted by rav500

People talking down to this game now are either payed by other developerrs to do so, manic depressed or have no life.

Lol, you are delusional.   But go ahead and buy the game, it's your money, just dont come whining on the forum after 2-3 days.

Yeah because people don't whine here regardless. If i start to worry about people whining on these forums there is not one good MMO out there to play.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Babeman

This games graphics are really nice, animations are decent, voice acting is good, atmosphere is good, but the combat is just SOOO awful! It's seriously like playing a rouge in WoW (oh NOES I compared it to WoW!) and tapping one skill up to 4-5 times to burn the accumulated points with another skill. EVERY weapon plays the same, even ranged and melee feel the damn same. Them feeling the same would be fine if the combat at all felt satisfying.

Everytime I encountered a mob I just sighed with a "ugh here we a go again...", it should be "YES a mob I want to fight them!" you know, because the combat in any GAME should be fun and not a chore? Even AoC's combat was much better and they made the damn game. It's a shame that such a insanely huge mechanic was so underdeveloped when you would be doing it for hours upon hours.

Such a dissapointment, I'm glad I got to play the beta before buying this trash.

QFT

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

I enjoy the game, its going to have niche audience..

But i would be really scared if everyone in here actually enjoyed. Then i would be really scared!! :)

Im going to play it because there are simply no better choice atm..

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Anyway, I do think TSW can be a success, but it needs a radical redesign of the combat and the "gameplayability".

Well, you can't overhaul an MMO's combat system just like that  and get good results.

The world, the atmosphere and the "investigation" angle in The Secret World is quite compelling... But the thing is, this is still very much a combat-based MMO. The investigations and other stuff is nice, but, an overwhelming part of your playtime goes into combat. So if they can't get that to feel good, they shouldn't be surprised if people don't stick.

When you make a game where combat is just one of several spheres your average playerbase spends time on, you can get away with not having good combat.

Hint hint, devs. Go make such a game. ;)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by wasim470

I think Funcom are rushing this game just like they did with AOC, this game could have been one of the best MMOs, but still they had to rush it and make TSW look like a bad single player game with all the Solo implemented and unfinished animations and Char customization.

when i was playing this game yesterday it felt as if the core game is still on Alpha stage , the game is totally not ready for release.

Funcom are simply burning this game.

^^This

There are so many little bugs that all add up to make it seem really unfidnished. Loads of texture popping, overlapping text in the quest tracker, broken dialogue with dr bannerman(that i reported in the last beta) - its just unfinished. 

Funcom need to learn to release games when they are done, and not rush them out of the door. That is what has caused problems with all their games in the past - the terrible launches - you would have thought they would have learnt their lesson

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by BigAndShiny

I thought TSW was bloody brilliant.   Amazing story yes , (much better than SW:TOR), funny dialogue I want to listen to yes , engaging world yes, amazing atmosphere yes, alright gameplay no, deep and interesting quests no.

There were a few interesting ideas in kingsmouth, but all of them fizzled out. Haven't finished playing through the savage coast area yet, but so far it looks more of the same.

Most of the quests can be boiled down to maybe 4 types:

1) Follow trail of goo/blood/bodies/ravens/boxes of squid, kill monster.

2) Go find someone who has been turned into a zombie(conveniently marked on your map). Kill monster

3) Solve a (ridiculously easy) puzzle. Kill monster.

4) Kill X monsters, bring back items.

For number 2, you were given the street name and address where they are located in the clue from the previous tier, and it still gives you a big honking blue circle on your map so that you don't need to think about it.

For a "thinking mans game" they have done quite a few things to make it a no-brainer.

There wasn't a single puzzle that held me for more than 15-20 seconds, WITHOUT using the browser... And yes, I know this is just the starter zones, but this is what they are giving us to preview, so this is what you have to base it on.

As for the gameplay, It isn't as bad as games I would consider bad... but neither is it engaging in any way. Extremely repetitive, Skill system(at least until second tier) is completely linear(fill both paths before you can advance a tier). It gets better at second tier, but how useful is that in a preview if people don't want to put in the time to grind out the 60+ AP needed to get to tier 2 in just one weapon.. let alone if they want to use 2 weapons. If they get bored before they get to tier 2, they aren't going to get to tier 2... so saying "tier 2 makes everything better" is BS. And btw, it doesn't.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Ichmen

game play its fine, story immersion is acceptable. i personally hate the controls and lack there of, with rekeying stuff. 

i dont know about the other people playing this game, but i personally hate feeling like im a Korean Esport gamer playing SC1... 

im an FPSer i use my mouse to shoot not fking look at the trees. only real beef i have with this game is the controls. 

some of the quests are a pain in the backside though, had to boot up google on my 2nd pc to find spoilers on how to complete one of the many tiers of a quest. 

but thats part of the game play immersion so i dont rag on that too much.. just the fking controls piss me off. 

i guess enough people will love/play this game to make it worth its production value. i personally am only going to play until my beta weekend key expires "monday" morning. 

i am sorry 

mmorpg  with shooter mode control is retarded & looking realy bad,i am tryed that in STO ,and newer use after trying

Helgate London use shooter/fps  controls and as rpg this game fail ,not only couse was there bugs,rpg players leave that game as MMO

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Well, I finally got to play, and unfortunately I can tell this game is not going to get good reviews. I wish it were; I really do. But it is what it is. The good news is MMOs usually get better with time, so while I wont be playing at launch I'll definitely check back in in the future. I really wish FC the best of luck.

I'd originally figured 'Well, it sucks now, but I'll check in again somewhere down the road for sure'. But one of the main underlying flaws for me is too built in (on top of the technical flaws like tired task system, bland combat etc.). I don't care as much about the bad animations personally.

I was hoping they'd have gone for thought provoking and mature, instead it's a clunky carnival of juvenile cliches and insults to the intelligence.

The setting - which should have been great and a main selling point is instead delivered with a 14 year olds perception of what 'dark, mysterious, mature' should be. It's laughable. I'm guessing it would have fooled me if I was 12, and I'm guessing equally it'll still fool some adults.

Over the top characters when subtlety would have been more successful, weird for the sake of weird with no basis for comparison, over reliance on winning over the less mature crowd with excessive swearing (to the point that it loses any impact). Ugh. How disappointing. 

I assumed it would be more adult in its approach, truly dark, truly mysterious, but instead it feels like a bunch of kids tried to make a game mature by stuffing as many swear words in to a sentance as possible. I was embarassed for the designers as I played.

We get it, you're not afraid of certain ratings, but abusing a gimmick is not as powerful as reserved use of what could have been a powerful tool. This seems to be a common thread in TSW. Weird everywhere, so nothings strange, no real explanation for mysteries, so it's just more weird for the sake of weird with as many swear words crammed in as possible. 

It's more entertaining for how seriously it takes itself than for anything it attempted to do. It's B-film quality 'mystery' dressed up with an adolescent misunderstanding of what 'mature', 'dark' and 'mysterious' means.

It'll fool the less experienced for sure, and allow idiots to feel as if they're truly sleuthing, but anyone who's been around the block a few times will most likely just pity it.

...and all of this on top of a mediocre gaming experience. 

No thanks.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

For a "thinking mans game" they have done quite a few things to make it a no-brainer.There wasn't a single puzzle that held me for more than 15-20 seconds, WITHOUT using the browser... And yes, I know this is just the starter zones, but this is what they are giving us to preview, so this is what you have to base it on. 

Don't agree, if you think that TSW's quests doesn't give you pause or make you think or pay attention, then the questing in other MMO's must be on the level of completely moronic and being completely braindead. Can't say much (yet) of Savage Coast besides that the atmosphere looks hugely compelling - I wish more MMO's would design some of their zones like that, this vibe - but there were quite a number of quests that were far above the 'go to marker' quests of other MMO's and required at least SOME thought, in contrast to those other MMO's. The one where you had to die to progress to the next clue, definitely not something you just know in 10-20 seconds, where you had to roam the archives to learn more about a serial killing, where you had to learn to avoid spotlight camera patterns to reach the place where you needed to go, or where you had to figure out a keycode or find out for yourself where to get what bones from mobs.

All in all, a lot of quests of the sort that I didn't find at all in other MMO's, MMO's where most if not all of the quests didn't require any thought at all. So yeah, when compared with questing in other MMO's TSW does seem to do stuff differently, at least something more challenging.
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Bad reviews and people bashing games on this site is par for the course. If I chose to listen to the comments I wouldn't be playing any MMO as they all get bad reviews.

Originally posted by smh_alot

Don't agree, if you think that TSW's quests doesn't give you pause or make you think or pay attention, then the questing in other MMO's must be on the level of completely moronic and being completely braindead. Can't say much (yet) of Savage Coast besides that the atmosphere looks hugely compelling - I wish more MMO's would design some of their zones like that, this vibe - but there were quite a number of quests that were far above the 'go to marker' quests of other MMO's and required at least SOME thought, in contrast to those other MMO's. The one where you had to die to progress to the next clue, definitely not something you just know in 10-20 seconds, where you had to roam the archives to learn more about a serial killing, where you had to learn to avoid spotlight camera patterns to reach the place where you needed to go, or where you had to figure out a keycode or find out for yourself where to get what bones from mobs.

All in all, a lot of quests of the sort that I didn't find at all in other MMO's, MMO's where most if not all of the quests didn't require any thought at all. So yeah, when compared with questing in other MMO's TSW does seem to do stuff differently, at least something more challenging.

I didn't see the quest where you had to die, but none of the others you mentioned posed any difficulty... I mean really? the keycode when they say it is the first song the preacher wants to sing, and you go into the church and you have a list of codes on a board next to the preacher? Or the code for the Dr's computer, which you can click on "hint" and it tells you right off that it is the composer who composed the four seasons, one of the most well known pieces of classical music? Or the code to open the door in the illuminati basement, where you open the book and it tells you the order to put them in? First X. Second Y. Third Z. etc. Where you have to find the monsters for yourself to get the bones? except you can get pretty much all of them just by wandering around her house in a circle... Very tough.

Originally posted by BigAndShiny

I thought TSW was bloody brilliant.   Amazing story yes , (much better than SW:TOR), funny dialogue I want to listen to yes , engaging world yes, amazing atmosphere yes, alright gameplay no, deep and interesting quests no.

There were a few interesting ideas in kingsmouth, but all of them fizzled out. Haven't finished playing through the savage coast area yet, but so far it looks more of the same.

Most of the quests can be boiled down to maybe 4 types:

1) Follow trail of goo/blood/bodies/ravens/boxes of squid, kill monster.

2) Go find someone who has been turned into a zombie(conveniently marked on your map). Kill monster

3) Solve a (ridiculously easy) puzzle. Kill monster.

4) Kill X monsters, bring back items.

For number 2, you were given the street name and address where they are located in the clue from the previous tier, and it still gives you a big honking blue circle on your map so that you don't need to think about it.

For a "thinking mans game" they have done quite a few things to make it a no-brainer.

There wasn't a single puzzle that held me for more than 15-20 seconds, WITHOUT using the browser... And yes, I know this is just the starter zones, but this is what they are giving us to preview, so this is what you have to base it on.

As for the gameplay, It isn't as bad as games I would consider bad... but neither is it engaging in any way. Extremely repetitive, Skill system(at least until second tier) is completely linear(fill both paths before you can advance a tier). It gets better at second tier, but how useful is that in a preview if people don't want to put in the time to grind out the 60+ AP needed to get to tier 2 in just one weapon.. let alone if they want to use 2 weapons. If they get bored before they get to tier 2, they aren't going to get to tier 2... so saying "tier 2 makes everything better" is BS. And btw, it doesn't.

Sorry not buying it. I have noticed that people love to exaggerate a lot around here to make  apoint. 

Thank god there is several thousand players who couldnt care less what few hundred people are saying here

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by smh_alot

this is a true statement for most all MMO questing and is the staple of what I found in TERA:)

luckily there are many quest in TSW you will have a lot of trouble with if you are not paying attention

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

luckily there are many quest in TSW you will have a lot of trouble with if you are not paying attention

That is true... If you aren't looking at the world around you, it will probably take you a lot longer, if it is even possible...

I mean, if you don't bother to go look around the preacher, you won't see the board with the numbers..

I got hit like that once with the siren's song quest... Took me a couple of minutes to realise that it had dropped an item into my inventory, because I wasn't keeping my inventory sorted and it had dropped in near the top. That is not really a puzzle, imo, however... Its one of those "follow the trail" quests...

Originally posted by Sameer1979

There wasn't a single puzzle that held me for more than 15-20 seconds,  

Sorry not buying it. I have noticed that people love to exaggerate a lot around here to make  apoint. 

I thought I was going to have to do some research to figure out the composer based on teh photograph clue they give you for the Dr.'s Computer.... Then they gave you the mind-numbing hints...

Apart from that, that really is pretty accurate, as far as I am concerned. None of them gave me more than a moment's pause.

Edit: Also, to be fair... there is a lot of content in the game that I haven't gotten to or that isn't even in the game yet... but how long do you expect people to play before they make up their mind. It is very difficult to get past first impressions.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

The amusing part is the ones that think they have done investigation quests when in reality they have only done a side quests, story quests or action quest with a twist. "Ooh it's so easy". Yeah it's easy, but that's because you are doing the more normal quests in TSW. TSW is a game which has added two types of new quests: sabotage and investigation quests. They haven't removed the other types of quests.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Originally posted by smh_alot   Don't agree, if you think that TSW's quests doesn't give you pause or make you think or pay attention, then the questing in other MMO's must be on the level of completely moronic and being completely braindead. Can't say much (yet) of Savage Coast besides that the atmosphere looks hugely compelling - I wish more MMO's would design some of their zones like that, this vibe - but there were quite a number of quests that were far above the 'go to marker' quests of other MMO's and required at least SOME thought, in contrast to those other MMO's. The one where you had to die to progress to the next clue, definitely not something you just know in 10-20 seconds, where you had to roam the archives to learn more about a serial killing, where you had to learn to avoid spotlight camera patterns to reach the place where you needed to go, or where you had to figure out a keycode or find out for yourself where to get what bones from mobs.   All in all, a lot of quests of the sort that I didn't find at all in other MMO's, MMO's where most if not all of the quests didn't require any thought at all. So yeah, when compared with questing in other MMO's TSW does seem to do stuff differently, at least something more challenging.

I didn't see the quest where you had to die, but none of the others you mentioned posed any difficulty... I mean really? the keycode when they say it is the first song the preacher wants to sing, and you go into the church and you have a list of codes on a board next to the preacher? Or the code for the Dr's computer, which you can click on "hint" and it tells you right off that it is the composer who composed the four seasons, one of the most well known pieces of classical music? Or the code to open the door in the illuminati basement, where you open the book and it tells you the order to put them in? First X. Second Y. Third Z. etc. Where you have to find the monsters for yourself to get the bones? except you can get pretty much all of them just by wandering around her house in a circle... Very tough.

You DIDN'T do the mission where you had to die or roamed archives to learn about serial killings?? O_o Looks like you missed quite some stuff there, I don't see how you could've NOT seen them, but ok, skip that. And yeah, don't act like it's all not a big deal at all even if you seem to have for some whatever reason completely missed the interesting ones, even the ones you mentioned and other sabotage and investigation missions require a lot more paying attention and not going into braindead-and-following-marker mode than most if not all of the quests you encounter in other MMO's, like WoW, LotrO, Rift etc. That's what we're comparing with.

I thought I was going to have to do some research to figure out the composer based on teh photograph clue they give you for the Dr.'s Computer.... Then they gave you the mind-numbing hints...

Apart from that, that really is pretty accurate, as far as I am concerned. None of them gave me more than a moment's pause.

Even if you are highly smart and intelligent to figure out puzzles you are still exaggerating by saying it took you 15 to 20 secs to complete it. I consider myself pretty smart and observant and even i couldn't solve puzzles or find all clues in 15 secs.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

That's not an investigation quest, that's the story quest they have made dead easy so aaaanybody, including me can figure it out quite quickly.

The investigation quests are the ones that are marked with a green icon, go check out the one you get from the guy in the Church. I got stuck on tier 3 (or 4?). Had to get some hints from global to get further. Should probably have teamed up with a friend of mine that likes riddles. ;)

This discussion has been closed.