Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What we need is a World of Warcraft 2

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Problem with sequels is that right at the moment of conception, there's a premise of stagnation.  A successful sequel to WoW would have to mix things up, not just churn out more of the same.  Doesn't mean they can't stick to what they know works, but they should probably try drawing from something outside WoW to put a fresh spin on the genre, the way WoW itself once did.  How about incorporating some of what made Diablo 2 so successful or something more like that, instead of just churning out their own WoW clone.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

Maybe you, definately not me.

I don't need WoW2.  

To be honest Blizzard productions are not for me anymore. Either them changed them too much in wrong way or I've outgrown them. Does not matter which or those are true, or if both are.  Doubt I will play Titan.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by m0lly

world of warcraft with new engine ( graphics aswell )

Could you expand a little on what you want from a new engine that the game's current engine cannot be evolved to do?

Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by Sheepduck
    Blizzard has had a lot of time to watch the competition as they silently develop their next mmo so i believe what ever their next game is will be a serious contender in the market

Yea I'm sure titan will be an amazing game. With a subscription, a cash shop, paid account services, and a real money auction house.

This, And the fanboys will scream "Blizz needs to make money too you know...."

Ah the wonderful days of just paying one small monty fee for EVERYTHING.

THIS.

I am sure Titan will be monetarized to an extent we haven't saw before. I will not even touch it.  I cannot and don't want to spent as much as fanboys and wealthy big spenders - nor I want to play in CS/ RMT enviroment - that's take fun factor from me.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Alders

Even WoW can't make a WoW clone and hope to succeed.

It sure would be great to see them try.

After watching D3 though--not sure they wouldn't instead choose to produce a game that was a great commercial success..."commercial" being the important word...at least to Kotick...

Will "commercial success" become an insult meaning "terrible game" one of these days?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by maplestone

world of warcraft with new engine ( graphics aswell )

Could you expand a little on what you want from a new engine that the game's current engine cannot be evolved to do?

well my american friend, maybe the engine as it is will do fine we only know when its been tested with something else that dont look my little pony adventure cartoons, yes and i know this is the style like it is at warhammer but nobody says it cant be changed out of the box of cartoonish to little bit more realistic.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

well my american friend, maybe the engine as it is will do fine we only know when its been tested with something else that dont look my little pony adventure cartoons, yes and i know this is the style like it is at warhammer but nobody says it cant be changed out of the box of cartoonish to little bit more realistic.

"Realistic" is not the art style they're chasing.  Never was.

It's a good question, I'd agree that maintaining the traditional art style is more important than a shiny new engine, in this case.  As disappointing as that would be, to the sellers of new GPUs.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

maybe the engine as it is will do fine we only know when its been tested with something else that dont look my little pony adventure cartoons, yes and i know this is the style like it is at warhammer but nobody says it cant be changed out of the box of cartoonish to little bit more realistic.

Does it matter that it's "Warcraft"?  I mean there are a bazillion WoW clones out there ... do none have an art style you enjoy?

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Before Cataclysm was released i would have agreed with the OP.

Now after Cataclysm and kiddy gogo rush dungeons and pokemons with pandabears i have huge doubt and faith in Blizzards design teams.

I mean Diablo 3 over a decade development and the massive fail it is + Cata + MoP equals a big phat middle finger from my side.

Now we dont know what Titan is going to be, but looking at the current failures of blizzard i believe only more fail will come.

Its like the dream team Blizzard once had is well fed and not hungry anymore, it has eaten so much that they cant even walk straight on 2 legs.

If Arenanet fails with GW2, then i quit MMO's all together and keep playing on the soon to be released PS4/XboxXXX ?

Just look at the money we throw at the fail games last 6 years....

Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR / Tera, iam sure i forget tons of other failures.

Funny thing is i resubbed to WoW to farm old raid contend solo.......that says how fail the market is today -_-

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Before Cataclysm was released i would have agreed with the OP.

Now after Cataclysm and kiddy gogo rush dungeons and pokemons with pandabears i have huge doubt and faith in Blizzards design teams.

I mean Diablo 3 over a decade development and the massive fail it is + Cata + MoP equals a big phat middle finger from my side.

Now we dont know what Titan is going to be, but looking at the current failures of blizzard i believe only more fail will come.

Its like the dream team Blizzard once had is well fed and not hungry anymore, it has eaten so much that they cant even walk straight on 2 legs.

If Arenanet fails with GW2, then i quit MMO's all together and keep playing on the soon to be released PS4/XboxXXX ?

Just look at the money we throw at the fail games last 6 years....

Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR / Tera, iam sure i forget tons of other failures.

Funny thing is i resubbed to WoW to farm old raid contend solo.......that says how fail the market is today -_-

I have to agree with you 100%, ever since I left wow I have been chasing a new mmo, and none of them have even come close to offering what I want, the only two that do, one is not out yet, and the other all my friends hate.

EvE and Archeage, I really hope the mechanics in Archeage stand tall, building houses, castles, boats, making war with other guilds, and rulling the world , a seemless world at that.

GOD!, all those games that have failed, its really sad because most of them are solid titles, and any one of them would have been a billion dollar smash if they had just released BEFORE wow, blizzard really has ruined the market for a lot of gamers, and I think Titan will be the game that kills wow, blizzard said it themselves, its not lost sumtomers if they leave wow to play another blizzard mmo.

My gaming Hope lies with Archeage, and the very very slim hope that blizzard grow some balls, and really offer us the sandbox we want.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Epicent

MoP? Get real. Give me World of Warcraft 2. Tired of looking forward to all these games and getting dissapointed constantly. How many times do I go back to WoW because other mmos come out and get boring after a week lol. Tell me project Titan is WoW 2 and I will be happy. :P

And you leave WoW becuase your bored right? vicous circle don't you think.

Originally posted by Dvalon

and the very very slim hope that blizzard grow some balls, and really offer us the sandbox we want.

Lol that will never happen.  I know that great ol' times with Blizzard's Starcraft I and / or Diablo I / II or Warcaft 3 or WoW Vanilla & BC feel you with actual feelings for a company, but that what you're hoping for will absolutely never happen.

Blizzard even in times of Blizzard North would not provide sandbox.

Hell even if I am wrong and they would - nowadays it would be monetarized to ceiling sandbox with cash shop and rmah and who knows what else - totally destroying what is sandbox core.

Imagine SWG or UO with houses and / or items and /or skills  exclusive to cash shop and whole player economy run through RMAH.

*shudder* horror vision

Would never play something like this even if it would be this mystical big polished well made AAA sandbox and if that would mean I would not have any sandbox to play for next 20 years.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

to OP

i used to say the exact same thing back when i was just getting bored of WoW, but frankly after playing games like MO, Skyrim even Dayz and looking at Planetside is just dont see myself enjoying a WoW 2.0.

WoW was great fun back in 2005 but games have evolved so much. they can do so much better then the old WoW formula these days.  

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Corehaven

You know what I find funny?  You want a World of Warcraft 2.  Yet you think MoP isnt worthy. 

Let me enlighten you.  The same minds, and people who are making MoP would be the ones making your coveted WoW 2 .  Think about that for a minute.  You want them to make a whole new game?  Really? 

Because of MoP isnt good enough for you, what in the world would make you think WoW 2 would be?  You are essentially asking the designers of something you dont like, or something not good enough for you, to make a game for you. 

Boy yea.  Thats gonna work out really swell. 

Blizzard has stated a few times that one of the reason for the simplicity and lack of variation in WoW is because of the old limited engine that they have. Just saying they prob wouldnt use the same old dusty snooze-pump engine that they currently have. And no it couldnt have been upgraded because one of the WoW's selling points is being able to play with low end machines.

In this light, WoW2 with brand new engine and a lot higher system reqs, I bet it would be at least twice as good as any clone made by someone else. Lets just see if Titan repeats WoW's gameplay, I highly doubt it.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

if Blizzard wants another successful MMO then need to take the next logical step.....Starcraft Galaxies

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38

No, thank you.

The question I ask myself whenever I try a new MMO (including WoW back at release) is, "Do they really think I'm this stupid?"

From scripted quests, scripted raids, scripted (predictable) pvp, iron-clad gear progressions, endless tutorials for everything you can imagine, tedious crafting grind from a preordained set of stringently selected recipes, and the rest I always wonder...

How can game developers assume their customer base is so incredibly dumb?

The only game I've ever played that didn't insult my intelligence is EvE Online.  It's too bad that so much of it is terribly dull.

After reading a few reviews about Diablo3 I have zero faith in Blizzard changing their (admittedly successful) condescending pattern of creation.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh

WoW used to be a great game, but after WOTLK and the fact it now just feels like a casual lobby game with a -really- bad community? No, if there was a WoW 2 I'm sure it would be even more casual and have an even crappier community.

GW2 isn't my cup of tea either, like a lot of people, I felt it was a little boring and could see myself not giving a crap after a month or two.

Really there aren't any current MMOs coming up that are very interesting to me. Developers seem to be largely lacking in the creativity department lately.

I personally think WoW became better with WotLK.  It made grouping easier, dungeons fun and not a "e-peen" contest.  So sue me if I like shit to be a tad on the easy side, if I wanted a challenge Id look for a cure to cancer.  I play games for fun and WotLK was jsut flat out fun because it allowed me to (A.) Play my ulmate style of class in the DK and (B.) actually get gear to be competeitive. 

Then comes Cata and it tried to return WoW to the BC version of the game and whamo for the first time WoW started to lose subs.  Ironically I quit WoW 3 weeks after hitting 85 and spent more money in repair bills trying to run heroics then I ever did in raiding in WotLK.  Why make the game harder then what it is...I dunno I jsut dont understand the whole challenge concept in gaming such as World First Kills, Heroic Raiding, Hell/Nightmare levels or any of the stuff that makes a game artifially hard. 

Id take a game any day of the week that was casual friendly and revolved around Fun activities anyday.  But I guess I aint the normal gamer because ive always been the gamer who used cheat codes in single player games like Skyrim or Dragon Age or item duped in games like Diablo.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

When you say we you really mean you, correct?

No, he means you personally. And I agree. You do need a World of Warcraft 2. :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It already exists its called eq2
    Then there's wow 3 - lotro
    Wow 4 - rift
    And wow 5 (in space!) - swtor
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

There are plenty of WoW 2's on the market.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

GW2 is the next WoW, in case you havent heard. i doubt Titan will offer anything interesting considering all the talent left Blizzard a long time ago.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Cromica

All I need is GW2

I hear ya. People can have thier WoW and WoW clones, I'm happy with the anti-WoW personally.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

you are willing to give up all you have earned in WoW for WoW2???? LOL at you.  Thats really the reason why people go back to WoW. They have so much time and money invested into WoW it becomes an obligation. 

-I am here to perform logic

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

WoW 2 does not make sense really.

Titan perhaps.

TSW is, from the beta running today, totally unfinished and not ready for release.

Tera is great, beautiful and fun, but just limited due to its overt pedophilia and late-game grindiness.

SWTOR was wrecked by Bioware's incompetence, arrogance and PR scamming.

GW2 might also work as it has enough WoW in it to appeal to WoW players, but also enough other stuff to make it fresh and new. It's a solid compromise for people wanting to "transition" to a new MMO.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

WoW 2 does not make sense really.

Titan perhaps.

TSW is, from the beta running today, totally unfinished and not ready for release.

Tera is great, beautiful and fun, but just limited due to its overt pedophilia and late-game grindiness.

SWTOR was wrecked by Bioware's incompetence, arrogance and PR scamming.

GW2 might also work as it has enough WoW in it to appeal to WoW players, but also enough other stuff to make it fresh and new. It's a solid compromise for people wanting to "transition" to a new MMO.

*Facepalm

Note- Don't pay attention to Greyhooff's posts.