Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If it is true that SWTOR cost near 500mil...

123457»

Comments

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

even if it did....doubt it lost money......

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Why is it so hard for people to accept that people are leaving the game reducing the number of subs and thus causing them to earn less, not being able to pay back their debt and cause the stockholders to run, there is after all only so long that a company can put out crap numbers and misleading interviews before the true numbers get back to the stockholders/investors and they have a jawdropping reaction to how bad their investment actually was compared to (im sure) the glowing "we can't fail due to the IP" presentation someone made to get this rolling.

It's really quite simple. Bad design, customers left, stocks dive.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1927586551x0x485895/defa6d06-9122-49bd-8bcb-c20a71076abf/Q1%20FY12%20Earnings%20Release%207.26.11%20FINAL.PDF

Probably because it isn't true.

SWTOR may be underperforming, however EA is doing fine.

Well, yes EA does have a "strong" lineup of games, mainly centered around the overly reused sports games. But there's no way you can say that the 1.3 billion dollar investment into BioWare and SWTOR is effecting them positively.

Didn't ME3 do pretty well, and haven't they made a lucrative studio deal for a movie and an anime?

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Would this be the same EA that was worth over $23 a share 2 weeks before SWTOR and is worth $12.44 this very day?

Yeah...they are doing...fine.

You guys remind me of a cop standing in front of a fireworks factory thats burning to the ground..."nothing to see here folks, move along."

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Why is it so hard for people to accept that people are leaving the game reducing the number of subs and thus causing them to earn less, not being able to pay back their debt and cause the stockholders to run, there is after all only so long that a company can put out crap numbers and misleading interviews before the true numbers get back to the stockholders/investors and they have a jawdropping reaction to how bad their investment actually was compared to (im sure) the glowing "we can't fail due to the IP" presentation someone made to get this rolling.

It's really quite simple. Bad design, customers left, stocks dive.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1927586551x0x485895/defa6d06-9122-49bd-8bcb-c20a71076abf/Q1%20FY12%20Earnings%20Release%207.26.11%20FINAL.PDF

Well, yes EA does have a "strong" lineup of games, mainly centered around the overly reused sports games. But there's no way you can say that the 1.3 billion dollar investment into BioWare and SWTOR is effecting them positively.

1.3B?

The game cost 150 to 200M to make. 300 if ya listen to Louse. EA paid 860M for BW. Where the fuck do you come up with 1.3B?

Since purchasing BW, we have seen ME2, Me3, DA:O, and DA 2.....I suppose those dont count either, and only drive up costs?

EA will more than make their money not just on TOR, but on the BW purchase as well. To say otherwise shows the extreme negative bias.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

ehh dont worry... they will recoup their losses.

I mean after server merges going from the 171 servers listed on TORstatus down to like 25ish they should have atleast 75 slightly used servers for sale now lol.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by rdrakken

Would this be the same EA that was worth over $23 a share 2 weeks before SWTOR and is worth $12.44 this very day?

You guys remind me of a cop standing in front of a fireworks factory thats burning to the ground..."nothing to see here folks, move along."

They made more money in the last fiscal quarter than you will see in a lifetime.

That EA. The one that has a 16% market share.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Keep in mind development costs and total cost are two very different beasts.

While the $150-200 million is prob on the mark for development costs, the $300-500 million would be pretty on the mark to total cost.

You have to factor in tax, interest on investor loans, licensing from Lucas, building rent/purchase, I.T hardware for staff, server hardware, server bandwidth, customer service staff, marketing, accounting staff, admin staff, usurping exec's, trade show costs (eg. E3, pax), ect ect..

The list of things that goes into backing a MMO release is staggering. While the 500 million spent on development alone claim is bullshit, the total cost would be something to the tune of that.

They made more money in the last fiscal quarter than you will see in a lifetime.

That EA. The one that has a 16% market share.

I'm pretty sure I could care less how much money they make compared to me. A bad investment is a bad investment. The point of these types of conversations are to point out that more money does not mean a better product and this is a prime example. It will be one of the best examples of poor judgement while handling money.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't responding to your comment.

I'm pretty sure he was insinuating that EA is in trouble.

I'm pretty sure I was trying to put things into perspective for him.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

If you had to pay for an IP to make an MMO you're already lost.  Don't these developers have an imagination?  

The only shame is a pile of people bought the box for this game so develpoers never making this choice in the tuture isn't guaranteed.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

coorilation does not imply causation.

SWTOR came out, their share prices went down. Both of these are FACTS, no one is denying them. But thats not to say one caused the other - It might of, but there needs to be more proof then them both happening.

EA also released other games, why are they not to blame just as much? Because you like them or are apathetic twords them perhaps? You use SWTOR as the scape goat just because you dislike it which is petty at best.

Also EA is STILL one of the strongest gaming production companies, look at THQ - I'm surprised they're even still around!

Its not "SWTOR MADE EA FAIL!" or even "MMOS ARE ALL MARKET FAILURES!" it's "THE VIDEO GAME MARKET IS SUCKING RIGHT NOW"

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

Well didnt real time worlds blow 100 million on APB?

So im guess star wars cost 1 billion lol

Jk but anyone can waste money on stuff and still make a crappy game :)

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

Originally posted by azrael466

People are trying to point out that EA has published many decent products. Such as any of their sport games, ME, DA, etc. But, we can assume they were quite successful with them. So it leans more towards SWTOR than any other title seeing that it was the most costly of any product they've published.

EA manages to gutt small studios before they grow. Yeah, they have a great lineup of games from studios who were great before they were bought out be EA. but, shortly after they produce a few games you truly don't hear from those studios again.

We're not saying EA is failing, that mmos are market failures, or that the video game market is sucking ( I personally don't like this years lineup of games.) We're just saying that the cost of this game did hurt EA and the cost of SWTOR definitely plays a big role in it.

It just comes down to bad business practice and that's all there is to it. They took a massive risk and didn't properly invest in the product and that's very clear to everyone.

I personally believe that we've lost most of the Companies and Publishers who are willing to allow Studios to innovate and I truly mean innovate the gaming market. None of this, "we've got a new COD and the Aiming system is now newly innovated! " The word is being improperly used to draw in the customers only for them to find out it's the same old crap that they've been fed.

So it's more of a religous movement then. EA is the devil and you are trying to exorcise the demon.

This discussion has been closed.