Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

character models need alot of work

2»

Comments

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Mmotosher
    Originally posted by MoonBeans
    Originally posted by cooper85

why  every preset face looks like a neglected neanderthal?   

i've seen more atractive chimpanzees than  female characters in this game.   

adding few more sliders here and there won't be enough.    they need to add at least 1 or 2 decent looking preset faces.   so that players can have a bit more variety.   

there is only one playable race in this game (humans) ,  i find character creation  in this game ,very but very limited.   there is no excuse for having a so called next generation MMO with such lacking char creation system.

anyone else feels the sameway?

TSW is a dark nasty place OP. There are no super models in TSW.

TSW is suppose to take place in modern day planet Earth.   and even if it was based on an apocalyptic devastated world.  people don't mutate into apes that fast.   there still would be ugly, average, and good looking people.

it is down right impossible to get attached to a character in this game.     to me, it is the number one reason is preventing me from buying it.     first impressions are very important for most people, playing with a hideous looking character don't help build good impressions.

Did you Play beta then? So you Think there is something wrong with male models?

yes i have.   there is something beyond wrong with character creation in general.  it is too limited.   the male characters look a bit better than the females but they aren't great iether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3JT2O3d9OM&feature=related    this is how character creation should be like in  a so called next generation MMO.  with only one playable race.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

....in  a so called next generation MMO.  with only one playable race.

I think this is an important point.

One player race, and it still feels like it's sub par.

It's a real off putter tbh.

• syndreamersyndreamer Member UncommonPosts: 43

I liked how my character turned out. Being an actual asian playing an asian guy as the Dragons, I felt the angular face models were appropriate, the animation of those face models were off-putting since most of the characters seem to be stoic and appear lifeless. Hell my asian guy looks cold as hell with those life-less heavy lidded eyes, and the people he talks to seem medicated and depressing.

• dangledangle Member Posts: 74

This is my main gripe with TSW. I really enjoy the setting, but all the characters look very similar, and we can change almost nothing about them. It seems the devs are trying to convince us that clothes are what makes our characters unique, and of course we will be able to buy clothes in the item shop... not sure yet what to think about that. I don't think I would spend money there if my character doesn't feel like my character.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The character creation options are not great, but that doesn't bother me in the least. The only time I really see my "own" face is for a few seconds on the login screen and during the occasional cutscene video. The gameplay in TSW makes up for that 1000 times over.

I can barely believe that some people will not play a game they really enjoy just because their ingame character has a "fugly" face, but to each his own. 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The character creation options are not great, but that doesn't bother me in the least. The only time I really see my "own" face is for a few seconds on the login screen and during the occasional cutscene video. The gameplay in TSW makes up for that 1000 times over.

I can barely believe that some people will not play a game they really enjoy just because their ingame character has a "fugly" face, but to each his own. 

Our characters are our extensions into the game's world. For some of us having decent looking models and animations are a big deal as their lack does not allow us to properly connect with the game world.

The issue becomes even more apparent if the character is a human. It's one thing if the character is a space cow or some other fantastical race but we instinctually know how humans look and move and poor models and animations really stand out.

Obviously the above may not be an issue for some people and may be a small issue for others. For me, as a very visual person, TSW's models and animations stand out like a sore thumb.

With that said, I do enjoy the game's stories and investigations.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Tried to get a good, decent close-up, of my female character today. I think all things considered she actually turned out attractively and doesn't look like a street-walker or neandertal ape-faced monkey-woman.

I apologize for the quality, but MMORPG.com will only allow crappy 2mb and under jpgs. They really ought to consider png's, haha, they look so much better!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by AliceKaye

Tried to get a good, decent close-up, of my female character today. I think all things considered she actually turned out attractively and doesn't look like a street-walker or neandertal ape-faced monkey-woman.

I apologize for the quality, but MMORPG.com will only allow crappy 2mb and under jpgs. They really ought to consider png's, haha, they look so much better!

mouth still irks me to no end.. i have been able to get some decent looking ones but the mouth ends up screwing it up and it looks even worse in the cutsences:(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

mouth still irks me to no end.. i have been able to get some decent looking ones but the mouth ends up screwing it up and it looks even worse in the cutsences:(

This is one of the only mouths that don't bug me. I made an asian dragon the other day and her mouth kept getting stuck in this weird half smile for all the cut scenes. It looked so dumb. This girl keeps her trap shut, thankfully.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

This is one of the only mouths that don't bug me. I made an asian dragon the other day and her mouth kept getting stuck in this weird half smile for all the cut scenes. It looked so dumb. This girl keeps her trap shut, thankfully.

ha well just hoping get some more options come release in a few weeks or i'm probably just going to make a male toon:( 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Nefera
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow

I read on the forums a few things:

Long hair can't be put in becuz of clipping. That's why so many of the fem hairstyles are so "butch". They will be working on it though.

Baldness will be an option at launch.

Those are the only two "official" replies I saw.  

They should really have a browse at those picture folders at hairdressers'... There's so much more that can be done with mid to short length hair without making them look "butch". Not to mention that most other MMOs have got past the clipping issues with long hair, why can't the same be done in this game?

There was an NPC in the game with a short curled ponytail and the hair occasionaly cut stright into her neck.  It looked really bad,  

Also, if you choose some 2 weapon styles and have them put away on your back the clipping is intollerable.  I picked Blood Magic and Assault rifle, and the clipping of the gun and the big ugly book on your back was so annoying I deleted and restarted a new character.  How do these things get through testing?

I noticed they removed collision for other players.  Dont know why exectly.  CD worked great in AoC.

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

What happens if you make a toon on launch, Then when the "final" character creator is patched in, am I stuck with an ugly toon.

Anyone heard anything?

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by kulhat

What happens if you make a toon on launch, Then when the "final" character creator is patched in, am I stuck with an ugly toon.

Anyone heard anything?

I'm pretty sure they'll let you redo your toon.

On topic, so far I am enjoying my beta weekend, I tottaly forgot that it is beta. That being said, toon models does feel limited. I dont expect EVE or APB level of customisation, but yeah it is lacking.

Hope they'll add more options on launch.

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

The Character creation in this game is the worst ive seen in a long time , cloths great but the faces are ugly at best and there are no body or height options at all , not good not good at all .

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    I completely agree. I can only make one female that I like. I also think they have a horribly limited amount of hairstyles for females. Most of them are so darn masculine. It's one of the main readiness I've had a hard time getting into their game. And they could use some more clothing options too, but I guess that will come in the game and store.

lucky you I couldn't put together a single good looking female(that also looked good in game).  I ended up with a male toon because I could at least create one or two that looked pretty decent... really a let down because some of the npc's I see around don't look bad at all.. 

Good thing is that they already stated that this is not end product. I mean humans Are really the hardest to Get right. Just look at gw2 humans as well. Very plain faces there.

I have some beachfront property in Arizona if you're interested.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Prime8

The Character creation in this game is the worst ive seen in a long time , cloths great but the faces are ugly at best and there are no body or height options at all , not good not good at all .

Funcom already stated that this will be improved before launch. Hopefully for pvp beta weekend

you see, that is the kind of statement you see the most nowadays.

" don't worry things will be fixed , improved before, after launch" 

i've  seen, and heard that before,   way too many times to be fully aware that.  it  usually means the opposite.   what you see now is probably what you gonna see at launch perhaps with some minor extra options.   and  a few more short hairstyles for the pay shop

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I don't have a problem with the models. Case in point ^.  Pretty face.

What I have a problem with is the lack of SLIDERS to ADJUST the models.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I'm all for gritty realistic faces, but if I have to tinker with the char creation for half an hour to get something that doesn't look plain retarded, something is wrong. Which is pretty impressive (in a bad way), given that the actual amount of choices is very limited. In other words, 90% of the choices do end you up with something out of a freakshow :p

My character ended up looking much like one linked earlier in this thread, she still looks extremely weird in some cutscenes however.

Neither are the faces actually realistic, people don't have mouths that span across half their cheeks for one, or eyes that end up poked down their sockets, or noses that seem to be suspended by the bottom, instead of the top of the nosebone.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

You see how the people that paste a picture of a character and say my character looks ok , notice how they are all the same face , its because there is only one useable face and everybody picks it the rest are really bad , so everybody ends up looking exactly the same .

• dangledangle Member Posts: 74

Just enter the character creator, click female, take off the glasses, then keep clicking the randomize button on the left side for a while. Ta-da, now you've seen every single female character in game. They're all the same height, they have the exact same bodies, they have 18 different hair styles, and their faces are mostly identical.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by dangle

Just enter the character creator, click female, take off the glasses, then keep clicking the randomize button on the left side for a while. Ta-da, now you've seen every single female character in game. They're all the same height, they have the exact same bodies, they have 18 different hair styles, and their faces are mostly identical.

Yeah I really missed that boob-slider from AOC.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Prime8

Funcom already stated that this will be improved before launch. Hopefully for pvp beta weekend

you see, that is the kind of statement you see the most nowadays.

" don't worry things will be fixed , improved before, after launch" 

i've  seen, and heard that before,   way too many times to be fully aware that.  it  usually means the opposite.   what you see now is probably what you gonna see at launch perhaps with some minor extra options.   and  a few more short hairstyles for the pay shop

Sadly, MoonBeans is probably right about this. Especially based on what we've seen with this last beta weekend. Most of the game is still unavailable, and the content that is, still has a lot of bugs in it. Both Kingsmouth and Savage Coast had a good number of quests that were bugged, to the point where a lot of people weren't sure if they were doing the quests wrong or if it was broken. Them promising to add new features at this point seems very farfetched, and given that the game launches in less than a month, anything they do add at this point will not be polished.

I'd say it's pretty safe to say that any expectations for launch should be made based off of what we saw over the beta weekends (unless you wanna wait for pvp beta), and not based on promises. There's only a few companies that still have a reputation for delivering features as promised in the MMO genre. Funcom isn't one of them.