Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW - The Best Animations & Combat.

Comments

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by colddog04
     snip

So I supose we can conclude that this game is a shinier version of WoW where you are shooting 90 degrees to the right and your weapon points straight ahead? If it applies to GW2 mechanics, why not here?

Well I guess we can.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

This thread is funny.  Where are these great animations TSW is supposed to have? 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by cooper85
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

TSW use the Dreamworld engine. This is their own engine. I never played those other games. It hard for me to believe this is the same company I hear all those bad things about. Right now today a see a A-1 indy co. With Vision, great CS and a hella fun game.

i may be having trouble understanding your post, did you just call Funcom an "indy" developer?

if you played TSW and came out of it with the impression that it was made by an indy game company i'm not so sure stating so will help your cause here.

Yes Funcom is an independent developer. I hope they stay independent too. 

This raises the question of what you think of as independent?  They are a corporation with hundreds of employees.  What exactly is your destinction between an indy company and everyone else?  

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

TSW use the Dreamworld engine. This is their own engine. I never played those other games. It hard for me to believe this is the same company I hear all those bad things about. Right now today a see a A-1 indy co. With Vision, great CS and a hella fun game.

i may be having trouble understanding your post, did you just call Funcom an "indy" developer?

if you played TSW and came out of it with the impression that it was made by an indy game company i'm not so sure stating so will help your cause here.

Yes Funcom is an independent developer. I hope they stay independent too. 

This raises the question of what you think of as independent?  They are a corporation with hundreds of employees.  What exactly is your destinction between an indy company and everyone else?  

they are what Blizzard, Bioware, Anet used to be. Independent. They own all their IPs.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Well this is certainly one way of keeping TSW on the top of the forums.

Can't believe its 23 pages of arguing with one cat about something that is obviously false.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    [mod edit]

you keep saying this but when we are talking about animations of humans in a "real life" setting its not really an art form or subjective in that sense. It either flows naturally and feels like real human movements or it doesn't.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by lathaan

did we really need 21 pages to proof that TSW animations are the shit? Not that its wasnt fun, but ... i guess the OP already ran off to mum to tell her he did admit he was wrong.

doesnt make you look any better, not a bit ;)

TL;DR:

OP> TSW animations are teh BESTEST!!

EVERYONE>> Bullshit, they are crap

_21 pages later_

OP>> OK.

Lathaan-

"is this you god? No, GW2!"

we had that running all day here on desolation :)

the game is far more than great."

I'm not surprised you did not get the point. People like you who share your taste flooded this TSW thread, as I expected. I wanted you to see your games animations side by side with ours.

You apples are no better than my oranges. Animations are an art form, all things being roughly equal (tech), Art is subjective. Your Picaso is not better than my Rembrant. You may like it better, that does not mean that it is. 

Only an idiot or someone who is completely biased with those 2 videos side by side could say one is "Bullshit, crap" as you did, and not say the same about the other. Are TSW's animations the best? Are GW2's animations the best? Idk I think they are both at the top of the industry (swtor is the best imo. One of 2 things they nailed) The samething can be said about Tera.

I chose to spell this out to you hoping that you get the point of the thread. 

Only an idiot would try to make his point by using a 1 year old GW2 video. You're calling out all the GW2 fanbois but by using that vid and not the other ten suggested in this thread, you're no better.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by maitrader

Originally posted by tares
    Animations and combat are not art, TSW seems to have the worst combat and animations of these MMOs: GW2, SWTOR, Tera, Aion, Rift, maybe LOTRO, Age of Conan, World of Warcraft, don't remember EQ2 but it was funner killing things there so am adding it. TSW ties with everquest 1 and warhammer for weakest animations and combat. We know it is underdone and just bad, the NPCs have very few animations and no recoil when hit by PCs and most of the animations are the exact same and even then they feel weak.   A lot of players will quit TSW after launch because combat is boring, by a lot I mean over half so it isn't apples and oranges, the combat is subpar.

you done? stop wasting peoples time in the TSW forums if you dont like it ... if you're not going to buy it, then leave the forum space to someone who will... I never post in GW2 forums... waste of my time, I think the game is caca but thats my opinion and I keep it to myself.

These forums aren't for circle jerking bud, they're to discuss both good and bad merits of a game for someone who might be looking to invest some time.

I'd be pissed if I came to this forum, found the OPs post and a bunch of fanbois praising the combat; decided to buy the game and then found out they were straight up lying.
  • Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Animations are one of the most important things in a game where people control a character especially in third person.

I am a 3D Artist, and while my strengths lie in creating the models and giving them textures, none of that means squat if my character walks and does actions like he is a remote controlled robot.

Having said that, TSW animations arent terrible, but if we are comparing them to the Animation quality of GW2 there is quite an obvious differrence, especially if you have had a chance to play both games and get a feeling for your characters.

(I am at work atm, so I am unable to link videos. Sorry)

TSW Animations feel very floaty and mechanical, and sometimes downright odd. One of the animations that stood out to me when playing TSW was the Jump animation; There was no sense of weight to it, the character seems to just float up and then land without impact or struggle.

As for GW2, the Animations seem very fitting for all the races if you look at their stance and structure, Charr are very hunched over with a medium stride to their walk and their torso visibly bounces as they move along giving a real sense to their size and mass, where as Asura (as seen on many videos) seems very bouncy yet more dexterous and agile than a Charr, which also fits their sometimes comical culture.

Another thing GW2 utilises is Animation blending, which means if a Character goes from doing a cast animation to dodging to walking it looks very smooth and fluid, another example of this is when you walk and suddenly stop; your character doesnt stop dead, rather they sort of skid to a stop, some dislike this but I feel it connects me with the character more.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Draemos

Animations and combat are not art, TSW seems to have the worst combat and animations of these MMOs: GW2, SWTOR, Tera, Aion, Rift, maybe LOTRO, Age of Conan, World of Warcraft, don't remember EQ2 but it was funner killing things there so am adding it.

TSW ties with everquest 1 and warhammer for weakest animations and combat.

We know it is underdone and just bad, the NPCs have very few animations and no recoil when hit by PCs and most of the animations are the exact same and even then they feel weak.

A lot of players will quit TSW after launch because combat is boring, by a lot I mean over half so it isn't apples and oranges, the combat is subpar.

you done? stop wasting peoples time in the TSW forums if you dont like it ... if you're not going to buy it, then leave the forum space to someone who will... I never post in GW2 forums... waste of my time, I think the game is caca but thats my opinion and I keep it to myself.

These forums aren't for circle jerking bud, they're to discuss both good and bad merits of a game for someone who might be looking to invest some time. I'd be pissed if I came to this forum, found the OPs post and a bunch of fanbois praising the combat; decided to buy the game and then found out they were straight up lying.

Instead you find a bunch of GW2 fanboys in the thread lieing that they are bad. 

WTF is this the unoffical GW2 fansite? This is a hell of a illustration of the GW2 community. 

seems that way... MMORPG.com have gone bonkers over GW2 and it shows... the hype of the game is not even close what it should be and the trolling and harrassing of TSW forums by the thousands of GW2 fanbois are never punished.. however if something is said about GW2 they are shut down and banned :/

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

seems that way... MMORPG.com have gone bonkers over GW2 and it shows... the hype of the game is not even close what it should be and the trolling and harrassing of TSW forums by the thousands of GW2 fanbois are never punished.. however if something is said about GW2 they are shut down and banned :/

Either that or TSW actually doesn't have the best combat and the best animations in the industry.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Animations and combat are not art, TSW seems to have the worst combat and animations of these MMOs: GW2, SWTOR, Tera, Aion, Rift, maybe LOTRO, Age of Conan, World of Warcraft, don't remember EQ2 but it was funner killing things there so am adding it.

We know it is underdone and just bad, the NPCs have very few animations and no recoil when hit by PCs and most of the animations are the exact same and even then they feel weak.

A lot of players will quit TSW after launch because combat is boring, by a lot I mean over half so it isn't apples and oranges, the combat is subpar.

These forums aren't for circle jerking bud, they're to discuss both good and bad merits of a game for someone who might be looking to invest some time. I'd be pissed if I came to this forum, found the OPs post and a bunch of fanbois praising the combat; decided to buy the game and then found out they were straight up lying.

WTF is this the unoffical GW2 fansite? This is a hell of a illustration of the GW2 community. 

I don't know how great GW2 is as I don't follow games until a release date is set, However, once guild wars two decides to come out TSW will lose a huge percent of players who will never return, that is life.

Will the small niche TSW community stick around for a long time to TSW?   repeating the same few instances and PvP instances and repeatable quests will grow tiresome quickly with the animations in game today.   So it has less content than SWTOR or Tera and yet there is some need to compare it to a game not even out yet.  Will TSW survive on its own, will 1 million players buy the game and over 400,000 stay subscribed for over a year?   Even If TSW was the only MMO ever created, I doubt its goals are atainable with such boring combat.  Way to much skill redundancy, so few great skills,  Combat for melee is everything runs up and you spam a few skills, combat for ranged is strafe and use the broken 180 degree line of fire to kill stuff.

Are we being punked? is the combat an alpha build that will be updated in two weeks? I can't imagine a game today releasing with so little attention to combat when so much of the game is spent in combat.

Lol drameos that happened to me before a couple of time, it sux. I'm in the beta III so my opinion is equal to anyones imo.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Not really but TSW is not in the same league as far as animations. 5 years ago - yes. Now - no.

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

Problem with animations in TSW is two fold:

1. The engine doesn't support IK animations (or at least, they're not using them). So, instead of them doing the animations by selecting a point (e.g. the hand) and moving it in the motion desired, and having all points move fluidly to keep up with that (e.g. ) they need to do the animation joint by joint (FK animation), this results in a really strange, unnatural motion as the joints aren't moving as you would expect with the inertia/momentum that you're seeing.

2. Because of the "use everything when moving", they separated the torso with the legs (as people have said). This compounds upon the unnatural motion with an unnatural disconnect between the torso and legs.

The animations don't look too bad whenever standing still, but when you start moving, you can see the clear disconnect at each joint, which compounds into something that looks very strange.

All that being said, though, it's a good game, and is worth your time regardless of those animations.

Originally posted by botrytis

Not really but TSW is not in the same league as far as animations. 5 years ago - yes. Now - no.

lets be honest, GW2 is a cartoony WoW replacement.... TSW has the top graphical engine ever used in an MMO. Alot more can be done in a cartoony MMO than can be done in a RL mmo. I guess the real argument is this, what do you like better, cartoon-based or realism-based games. Since most of the people here are just WoW grads, theres little room it seems for realism. Once again, I really am grateful that GW2 is coming out, because it will soak up nearly all of the WOW based community!! biggest problem with every MMO to date post wow is the community it created lol

Originally posted by Vutar

I really hope no one buys TSW based off of this thread. Get a beta key and play the game yourself for anyone who is interested in the game. Do not waste your money until you do that. There is a reason only a couple people in this thread are defending the game as if it is the next big MMO. Do your own playing unless you just have money to throw away.

your right! dont buy it! games for true MMO players, not people who got into MMO's when WoW was released. Please leave this game alone as to keep the community pristine, lacking the taint of the new-school MMO'ers

I really hope no one buys TSW based off of this thread. Get a beta key and play the game yourself for anyone who is interested in the game. Do not waste your money until you do that. There is a reason only a couple people in this thread are defending the game as if it is the next big MMO. Do your own playing unless you just have money to throw away.

your right! dont buy it! games for true MMO players, not people who got into MMO's when WoW was released. Please leave this game alone as to keep the community pristine, lacking the taint of the new-school MMO'ers

Good call. Well except that I've been playing MMO's since EQ1 and ya, I think the game is awful due to the very things this thread claims are the "best" in the game. . But don' ttake my word for it. Get a beta key people and play it yourself.

you said it, Eq1... youve been into elves and fairies for quite a long time!! no wonder you dont like the game :) many of us who have grown up kind of got over the whole elf and fairy deal quite a while ago. For us, fantasyland simply doesn't float our boat. But thats fine, have fun in GW2.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Good call. Well except that I've been playing MMO's since EQ1 and ya, I think the game is awful due to the very things this thread claims are the "best" in the game. . But don' ttake my word for it. Get a beta key people and play it yourself.

you said it, Eq1... youve been into elves and fairies for quite a long time!! no wonder you dont like the game :) many of us who have grown up kind of got over the whole elf and fairy deal quite a while ago. For us, fantasyland simply doesn't float our boat. But thats fine, have fun in GW2.

You sound really grown up.

I'm an old D&D pen and paper/MUD playing type from way back on my first gen Mac Plus PC. Saying that I don't think any of us who are old school pen and paper types ever get tired of fantasy worlds they are generally just so much more interesting than anything "real life" has to offer. But i do enjoy TSW setting a great deal as well

oh and just an FYI you come off in your posts as an arrogant teenager in case you wanted to know.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159

I do think the grafics are good but the best no. i love the game and cant wait til release. so that all the haters that dont want to play can leave .

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by stromp45

I do think the grafics are good but the best no. i love the game and cant wait til release. so that all the haters that dont want to play can leave .

At the risk of sounding confrontational, what MMO has better graphics?

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I really liked the sound of this game so i been playing the beta this weekend and the very first thing i seen was what i considered to be terrible combat and animation and said crap this game not for me . But you know what the more i played the more i loved the combat  and i stoped noticeing the animation. A great game and i for one will be buying this.

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Keyh
    Originally posted by stromp45

At the risk of sounding confrontational, what MMO has better graphics?

i got to say aoc does have better grafics imo but thats just me

Originally posted by keenber

I really liked the sound of this game so i been playing the beta this weekend and the very first thing i seen was what i considered to be terrible combat and animation and said crap this game not for me . But you know what the more i played the more i loved the combat  and i stoped noticeing the animation. A great game and i for one will be buying this.

sure a lot of people would feel this way if they played more.. really wish they polished up all the movement and transisions it would really help the overall feel and give a better first impression

Originally posted by Aerowyn

I'm an old D&D pen and paper/MUD playing type from way back on my first gen Mac Plus PC. Saying that I don't think any of us who are old school pen and paper types ever get tired of fantasy worlds they are generally just so much more interesting than anything "real life" has to offer. But i do enjoy TSW setting a great deal as well

oh and just an FYI you come off in your posts as an arrogant teenager in case you wanted to know.

what can I say, the immaturity on these forums just bring it out of me.

This discussion has been closed.