Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playernumbers....will they explode ?

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Watching the playernumbers in the last two weeks and watching how fast they grow, I ask myself if they will explode at a certain amount. Dayz has currently  around 212.149 unique players and growing everyday.....on youtube more and more videos  pop up from "broadcasters" with really huge amount of viewers and followers.

What do you think what numbers we could see in the next weeks ?

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

This is a sleeper hit, the numbers can only go up.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

People love zombies, it is a fact. I think it can only go up from here.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I think it's a passing fad to be perfectly honest. The game is far too hardcore for core gamers and so I don't think it will ever become hugely popular. It also has virtually no lasting power since there really isn't anything to work for other than to keep your character alive.

Don't get me wrong though... I do think it is fun and I did enjoy playing it for a day or two. That was all though... it only lasted about two days of play for me.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Two days only ? Mmmh I would have not seen half the map in this time.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

just a hype, because there is nothing ells to play. I myself find the game boring. THere is nothing that got my interest.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I have just seen some footage of Dayz for the first time.  It looks pretty intense.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it is pretty damn hardcore for a large majority of players. most people will get bored kind of quickly of dieing every time they enter a town.

in the end it doesn't really matter because population is capped at 50 per server so even if there are 5 million people playing it you'll only play with 50 at a time max. the total ammount of people playing has absolutely no effect on the individual experience.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by spizz

Watching the playernumbers in the last two weeks and watching how fast they grow, I ask myself if they will explode at a certain amount. Dayz has currently  around 212.149 unique players and growing everyday.....on youtube more and more videos  pop up from "broadcasters" with really huge amount of viewers and followers.

What do you think what numbers we could see in the next weeks ?

Posting about unique players is the same as P2W games posting they have 100 million+ accounts.   It means absolutely nothing.

The game is currently in alpha state and suffers from a severe infection of COD.  I don't think the pop will explode until a good portion of those are fixed so it can offer a unique experience.

You can activate only 1 unique character per CD key....I think this is a good indicator. So you think most people are comming from COD ?

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I think the game would explode if they sold it to someone else, or at the very least let someone else Develope it. There are FAR to many things wrong with it at a core level which will keep it from growing to large, sure the registered numbers will grow large but the actual users I assume will level off fairly quickly.

The Hive server needs to go ... its a complete mess. People need to be able to control their own servers, this donating 50-75 bucks for a server so other people can play on it is for the birds. He needs to treat it like Minecraft .... and it would explode. He also needs to correct the death match aspect the games turned into , there is no point for my survivor group to avoid conflict .... instead we just roll anyone we see and baam ... fully loaded.

/shrug -- Games good in small doses currently.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well the player base and server base (Number of servers) has more than doubled just in the month or so I've been playing and seems to be increasing in speed as of late. It certainly shows no signs of slowing. I think it's already "exploding".

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• BoonshniggleBoonshniggle Member Posts: 48

It's so hard to comment on the staying power of the game right now. As the game is at the moment there are definitely some faults, and an earlier poster was correct that there are not enough things to do. However, if you watch and read interviews with Daniel Hall and read what he posts on the forums, you would know these are all STRONG concerns of his.

Rocket (Dan Hall) has stated that the meta-game is something he wants to expand on greatly. Also, something he's been replying to and posting himself about are mechanics to add to the game that really give players and incentive to friendly up with each other and develope the social aspects of the experience even more.

We'll have to see how everything turns out all the way through the beta phase (which is probably a long time from now). But, I have to say with how invovled the lead developer is in the community and soaking up all suggestions like a sponge and then keeping those suggestions that are true to the intended game experience and ringing out all the others, is definitely HIGHLY encouraging.

I feel pretty confident that in just 6 months from now, even if not still *finalised*, the game will be even better.

this is crazy...dayz has brought back 'almost' the search volume for Arma 2 to what it was at launch.

Search Volume for DayZ since May 20 around....

In the last few weeks online multiplayer activities for DayZ have multiplied by the factor 10+

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

In the last few weeks online multiplayer activities for DayZ have multiplied by the factor 10+

In order for that to have multiplied by a volume of 10+, pretty sure it would have to go higher than .5-1.5, thats not 10x.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

You can activate only 1 unique character per CD key....I think this is a good indicator. So you think most people are comming from COD ?

Didnt you know? anytime anything happens its somehow related to CoD, either the gamers came from their or the devs ripped off everything from there, take your pick.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

well im looking foward to the game once release whit content and quest and somthing to do other than only survive, the game have potential becoming somthing else  hope they work on the game .

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I think it's a passing fad to be perfectly honest. The game is far too hardcore for core gamers and so I don't think it will ever become hugely popular. It also has virtually no lasting power since there really isn't anything to work for other than to keep your character alive.

Don't get me wrong though... I do think it is fun and I did enjoy playing it for a day or two. That was all though... it only lasted about two days of play for me.

Playing it with a group of people makes all the difference for me, and we haven't had a problem creating our own objectives. This is also an alpha state of the game, and there are plans to make construction static to individual servers while increasing their player sizes (something like 120 at one time). Having established fortifications and safe houses related to different groups or factions is going to add another level of personal investment and community, something I look greatly forward to trying, though I'm currently satisfied with the experience itself. I've never played a game that's forced me to approach players the way I do in DayZ, and some of the stories I could tell from the emergent gameplay are straight out of zombie horror fiction.

DayZ is definitely hard work. It's not easy to get running, connecting to servers can be extremely problematic, and if you're not surviving with a group of buddies you probably won't last very long. All of that said, and coming from someone who's a bit of a zombie fanatic, it's well worth the tribulation. As for the content of this thread? The audience can only grow.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I have watched a plethora of videos and read a ton of forums concerning this game .

Unfortunatly my Computer will not run it =(

-That being said I am going to BUY ANOTHER COMPUTER to play this asap. Looks freaking fantastic. I think you will see a population boom since there doesnt sem to be anything quite like this out there.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I don't know anyone else playing this and i've ploughed about 40 hours in to it in the last couple of weeks now.

My problem is that every server I go into seems to have a clan or group of friends on it and they are all miles away doing whatever it is large groups do, there is no global chat anymore because im on the latest version of the game, soon everyone will be too.

I have an AK, a couple of grenades, bloodpacks, morphine, bandages, painkillers, map, compass, watch, hatchet, matches, knife, a VW van, enough food and drink to choke a horse and a a ghillie suit.

Now I find myself just logging in for an hour at a time, trying to find people to help out but most folk are already grouped up so the cities are empty and the countryside is that vast I don't see anyone!

I love the game but I just wish I could find some people or even communicate with someone!

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Am I mistaken in that I thought this was an Alpha build (?) and that persistant  and much larger (than 50 people) servers will eventually be coming. That would solve your  issues I would imagine.

Or have I heard an incorrect rumor? 

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Player numbers will explode the day Steam puts Arma 2 on sale. They (the devs and steam) could make a good deal of money at the touch of a button....

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I've been saying it for years: Developers have been sleeping on the gold mine that is a persistant zombie survival simulator. DayZ, while rough around the edges, is the game I've been waiting a long time to play. It really is amazing.

Joined - July 2004

• LumbralesLumbrales Member Posts: 7

I won't be buying Arma II for a simple reason DayZ is not going to pass the Alpha Testing, it's not going to last long as a mod. It's way to big of a thing to not become a game itself, I bet that not even in a year time DayZ team is going to announce that.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by fundayz

Player numbers will explode the day Steam puts Arma 2 on sale. They (the devs and steam) could make a good deal of money at the touch of a button....

They already are making a load of money it's been the number 1 game on steam for weeks now, at full price, why would they put it on sale?

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Lumbrales

I won't be buying Arma II for a simple reason DayZ is not going to pass the Alpha Testing, it's not going to last long as a mod. It's way to big of a thing to not become a game itself, I bet that not even in a year time DayZ team is going to announce that.

No matter what Rocket has stated that he plans on developing the ArmA 2 mod as far as that platform will take it. Eventually like CS and DOTA before it may become a paid expansion for ArmA 2 at some point. The stand alone version if there ever is one (It's still very iffy) will be built on ArmA 3 tech in late 2013 at this point. This is an opportunity to see something great develop from it's infancy to it's full potential. I'm not going to miss that and you shouldn't want to either.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }