Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to RIFT from SWTOR,EQ2 etc etc.....slow motion...

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

and i honestly feel like in a Slow Motion game. 1st time i logged in thought my character was in "Walking Mode" but it was already the faster "Run" mode..... The run mode is the "walking" of other games :)

I took my Turtle Mount out of the mailbox and it wasnt much better lol. still felt like crawling over the surface.  The character animations are slow aswell, and the bigger your character the worse it looks ! 

I just cant play RIFT anymore with the extremly slow moving speed it has. I never thought its so extremly boring and slow to move around in RIFT after playing SWTOR, EQ2 and other mmorpg´s.  

Why are the RIFT characters and even Mounts moving 50-100% slower than in other games ? Does no RIFT developers see the difference between their slow crawling RIFT game and other modern games ?

Geeez this is boring !! Increase the Speed of characters and mounts by at least +50% !! and i might subscribe again :)

Comments

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245

Various ways to increase both mounted and un-mounted movement speed once your level 50.... Planar attunement movement increases,run speed buffs, run speed item enchants...

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by Warbs

Various ways to increase both mounted and un-mounted movement speed once your level 50.... Planar attunement movement increases,run speed buffs, run speed item enchants...

i have three Level 50´s they are all slow.... Shaman, Necro and Rogue all three are just slow........ but i cant play them anyway on my unsubbed account. 

Its the game engine and how the moving speed of chars/mounts is set...... to slow......

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

This is really not a very good reason to not like a game... "because the characters run slow." Please just think how that sounds.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

This is really not a very good reason to not like a game... "because the characters run slow." Please just think how that sounds.

it sounds like i said "Sloooow".......

Play SWTOR or whatever then return to RIFT otherwise you cant know what i am talking about.......   

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I agree with OP,if game offers slow moving characters I cant play it,just get frustrated and cancel.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

But it makes the world seem so BIG when you're walking slower.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by wrekognize

But it makes the world seem so BIG when you're walking slower.

:-) yea,that might be the reason for the slowmotion:-)

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Portland

Play SWTOR or whatever then return to RIFT otherwise you cant know what i am talking about.......   

Actually, I've played both and I don't even know what you're talking about. The characters in RIFT runs quite normally. Maybe it's your computer.

Smile

Actually, I've played both and I don't even know what you're talking about. The characters in RIFT runs quite normally. Maybe it's your computer.

yea sure its my computer, and if i have wet hair then the roof 20 floors above has holes .

i dont believe you played both sorry.

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65

yea sure its my conputer, and if i have wet hair then the roof 20 floors above has holes .

It's not your computer i noticed that they do seem to run slower in rift i don't know why but i still find the game fun but boy do i click on my speed roar often (im on the trial)

Originally posted by mf16

yea sure its my conputer, and if i have wet hair then the roof 20 floors above has holes .

It's not your computer i noticed that they do seem to run slower in rift i don't know why but i still find the game fun but boy do i click on my speed roar often (im on the trial)

for whatever reason, maybe pvp or whatever they made RIFT extremly slow compared to other games. Maybe RIFT was made for older aged people with slow reaction and more patience than younger players have.. i for my part hate the Slow motion like charcater animations in RIFT. 

Jump on a mount and check the slow motion of your mounts legs compared to the moving ground... Slllllllooooowwww Motion :)

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

This was an issue I brought up during beta. Apparently, Trion didn't agree. Riding a horse in Rift can seriously put you to sleep.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by mf16

Agreed, either you actually run slower in Rift than most MMOs or it feels like you do. Then again Rifts world is pretty small so it might be on purpose to make the world feel larger.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

and i honestly feel like in a Slow Motion game. 1st time i logged in thought my character was in "Walking Mode" but it was already the faster "Run" mode..... The run mode is the "walking" of other games :)

I took my Turtle Mount out of the mailbox and it wasnt much better lol. still felt like crawling over the surface.  The character animations are slow aswell, and the bigger your character the worse it looks ! 

I just cant play RIFT anymore with the extremly slow moving speed it has. I never thought its so extremly boring and slow to move around in RIFT after playing SWTOR, EQ2 and other mmorpg´s.  

Why are the RIFT characters and even Mounts moving 50-100% slower than in other games ? Does no RIFT developers see the difference between their slow crawling RIFT game and other modern games ?

Geeez this is boring !! Increase the Speed of characters and mounts by at least +50% !! and i might subscribe again :)

The animations are slow but they look really cool for me.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Movement speed is proportionate to the size of the game world.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Never got this impression.

Mob density and sloooow combat, on the other hand... >_<

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I get the differences in many a game. It's weird and it does seem to be proportionate to the size of the world involved. I'd say that there does seem to be a slowing effect in Rift when moving around accept i had a Rogue character and never really noticed much (because you kinda half to move slower around multiple mobs to be sneaky).

I'm playing Aion now, wanna talk about slow...LOL

• Originally posted by Portland

i have three Level 50´s they are all slow.... Shaman, Necro and Rogue all three are just slow........ but i cant play them anyway on my unsubbed account. 

i'm thinkin you don't from the colored text, but you may have just forgotten what the classes are called. meh, whatever.

besides that the speed in game is fine imo. i play a lot of games and i'm not finding an issue with the speed at 50 in Rift. that turtle mount is slow as hell though. tryin to remeber, but i think the 100 plat max level mounts are 110% and that turtle is 60% speed. that's almost 2x the speed for the level 50 mounts. i think you get an extra 4% total from the 1st and 2nd tiers of PA as well and will get more when the 3rd tier is released. i think you can get a buff in conquest that speeds your mounted speed up too.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Character movement in EQ2 is probably faster than any other MMO out there. Always has been always will be. That's a fact. And I'm not even talking about sprinting. If you use sprint in EQ2 you can run away from anything and any fight without the slightest risk of dying...ever! (Unless your in a dungeon of course)

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Feel is extremely important - if your movements, commands and general combat doesn't feel fluid it really detracts from the overall experience. This is one aspect that [i]that other game[/i] really excelled at - Fluidity of movement and combat.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Cinatrot

Feel is extremely important - if your movements, commands and general combat doesn't feel fluid it really detracts from the overall experience. This is one aspect that [i]that other game[/i] really excelled at - Fluidity of movement and combat.

But the combat and movement is fluid, it's just slower to accommodate for the size of the world.  I think people are confusing those 2.  If you want non fluid then you want something like LOTRO, Aion, or either one of the Final Fantasy's.  Rift is nothing like that and I'm sort of confused as to why people think that.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

There are plenty of more legitimate reasons to view Rift as a boring game than the movement speed.  I've got a laundry list of them.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I've played all 3 games, wasn't bothered by the speed in any of them.   But you know, if it bothers you that much.. obvoiusly.. don't play.  I though the runspeed in Rift was appropriate to the world.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by arieste

I've played all 3 games, wasn't bothered by the speed in any of them.   But you know, if it bothers you that much.. obvoiusly.. don't play.  I though the runspeed in Rift was appropriate to the world.

you should read before you reply...  

I have played the most games on your "Tried" list already to the Endgame, i have enough comparison to safely say that RIFT is a slow motion game for people that prefer a slower paced gameplay. Riding a mount looks like crawling on the ground. 

I dont like the run and travel speed in RIFT thats right, i havent said that i didnt like the rest of the game tough.

How about comparing it to City of Heroes or Champions online ? Even in Everquest made in 1998 the travel and runspeed is faster and more fun...

Originally posted by itgrowls

I get the differences in many a game. It's weird and it does seem to be proportionate to the size of the world involved. I'd say that there does seem to be a slowing effect in Rift when moving around accept i had a Rogue character and never really noticed much (because you kinda half to move slower around multiple mobs to be sneaky).

I'm playing Aion now, wanna talk about slow...LOL

i couldnt get any char above level 35 in AION, it was horrible indeed.. to bad i wasted my money for this game.....