Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why people still play Rift?

2»

Comments

• tnhmbtnhmb Member UncommonPosts: 10

Rift has a special charm that is missing form other mmorpgs today xD

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

After playing GW2 this weekend I resumed Rift, and had to quit after an hour. Besides the fact that there was nothing new to do, the combat is so boring compared to GW2. Rift needs to take a lesson from GW2 on dynamic events.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by mCalvert

After playing GW2 this weekend I resumed Rift, and had to quit after an hour. Besides the fact that there was nothing new to do, the combat is so boring compared to GW2. Rift needs to take a lesson from GW2 on dynamic events.

As much as I like GW2, and think it s a good second game, I had the opposite effect this weekend. GW2 is good, but Rift is just as good. They will be a good 2 game combo.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I played Rift to the level cap then stopped. I didn't like the pvp over there and I'm not into the raiding thing so there didn't seem to be a hell of a lot else to do. Playing about with those rifts became more lke hard work after a while and lets be honest, there's only so many times you can do the "go and get 10 bits of wood and kill 30 random mobs while you're at it" type of quest without getting bored. It's not a bad game by any means, I quite enjoyed the first 30 levels or so but I decided it wasn't for me and didn't renew my sub after grinding to the cap.

Originally posted by Soki123

As much as I like GW2, and think it s a good second game, I had the opposite effect this weekend. GW2 is good, but Rift is just as good. They will be a good 2 game combo.

Its the combat for me. Rift is standing in place mashing a skill rotation till someone dies. GW2 is running around, dodging, switching weapons, retreating to heal, getting knocked down, getting back up, rezing strangers, rapidly switching between a few attacks and manuevering, and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. And you might be underwater too.

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368

Its the combat for me. Rift is standing in place mashing a skill rotation till someone dies. GW2 is running around, dodging, switching weapons, retreating to heal, getting knocked down, getting back up, rezing strangers, rapidly switching between a few attacks and manuevering, and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. And you might be underwater too.

Looks like someone is sitting up front on the hype train. Well guess we will see what happens a few months after it releases. For as many of you GW2 guys keep saying how great the game is why don't they have a release date yet? If it says nothing else about Arenanet it says that content updates will be slow to come out which is one problem people playing Rift don't seem to have. 

No matter how great the combat is if there is no new content updates or they are few and far between that combat had better be great because people will tire of it fast and will need something to hold them over. You GW2 fans remind me so much of AOC fans as I swear I have dejavu everytim one of you guys talk about the "awesome graphics" and how great the combat is. 

Bottom line the thing that has killed almost every MMO post release is lack of anything to do at max level and being too slow releasing updates after launch. GW2 already says there is nothing new to do at max level and sells it as a feature and the slow to even announce a release date for the game that all the fans say is so great already seems obvious where the game will go. AOC and Vanguard seem so familiar to GW2 pre-release.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

I alpha tested Rift, played for well over 6 months then unsubbed, for me it was the soul nerfs, because they do not simply tweak they gut the soul, it is a very polished game, enjoyable, but I hate nerfs in the manner Trion does them. Still nothing like the LH axe nerf in DAOC but hey what can I say, same devs :P

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by jblah
     For as many of you GW2 guys keep saying how great the game is why don't they have a release date yet? If it says nothing else about Arenanet it says that content updates will be slow to come out which is one problem people playing Rift don't seem to have. 

Huh?  Im curious as to how you logically arrived at this conclusion....

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by teakbois
     For as many of you GW2 guys keep saying how great the game is why don't they have a release date yet? If it says nothing else about Arenanet it says that content updates will be slow to come out which is one problem people playing Rift don't seem to have. 

Huh?  Im curious as to how you logically arrived at this conclusion....

GW1 had usually updates at least once a month with out any monthly fees.

I appreciate that Trion is trying to push the envlope but they do have 2 other games under development right now and they need the support for them - that is where the sub maybe going.

That said, I appreciate all they have done in Rift - it is a decent, polished game. I am done with the grind for better and better end game just so I can play for the next big thing. It just gets boring.

Looks like someone is sitting up front on the hype train. Well guess we will see what happens a few months after it releases. For as many of you GW2 guys keep saying how great the game is why don't they have a release date yet? If it says nothing else about Arenanet it says that content updates will be slow to come out which is one problem people playing Rift don't seem to have. 

No matter how great the combat is if there is no new content updates or they are few and far between that combat had better be great because people will tire of it fast and will need something to hold them over. You GW2 fans remind me so much of AOC fans as I swear I have dejavu everytim one of you guys talk about the "awesome graphics" and how great the combat is. 

Bottom line the thing that has killed almost every MMO post release is lack of anything to do at max level and being too slow releasing updates after launch. GW2 already says there is nothing new to do at max level and sells it as a feature and the slow to even announce a release date for the game that all the fans say is so great already seems obvious where the game will go. AOC and Vanguard seem so familiar to GW2 pre-release.

Its not hype if Ive actually played it. I talked up the great stuff about rift that they inovated too. I give credit where credit is due.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by PK4TW

It's a good game + 3 factions pvp coming soon + new xpak on the horizon.

^

This

Along with A+ customer service both times I needed to call them.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Gormok

So basically this is a Rift vs SWTOR the thread. I played Rift for about 2 months and have not looked back at that game. I have played ToR the whole time it has been out and it has just about the same amount of major Raids and Instances as Rift, to my dislike. ToR has it's issues but it is not as bad as people around here make it. People had doomed this game from the moment it was announced, so it is no suprise that it's not pulling WoW numbers. I for one do not see why devs and players feel that an MMO has to have 10s of millions of players. Back in the 90s a MMO was glad to  have 10k players, and in comes WoW to upset the balance of things, and on a side note Rift is in the same boat as ToR. At least EA/BW has  the balls to post their sub numbers whether that be real or fake. I havent seen sub numbers for Rift since that game been out, but than they hide behind the private company bit. So they do not have to disclose that information.

Their playerbase isn't hurting, if that's what you're referring. I see plenty of players on RIFT on at all hours.

Smile

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

They are announcing a release date this month or the next. Also your logic is... well, it's horrid, to be honest.

"For as many of you GW2 guys keep saying how great the game is why don't they have a release date yet? If it says nothing else about Arenanet it says that content updates will be slow to come out which is one problem people playing Rift don't seem to have."

What? You're saying that because they haven't annoucned a release date they will have slow content updates? Wow, that makes a ton of sense! The game is still in beta, and they plan to have a third one too. That has nothing to do with how fast they will release content updates in the future.

Smile

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

The pvp? The pvp in Rift is good not great but good and definitly better than alot of other mmos on the market. PVP is what kept me playing for extra months after the 3 reasons you gave got boring. To me the endgame pve was "meh" very repetitive and got old fast.

Originally posted by Razeekster

So basically this is a Rift vs SWTOR the thread. I played Rift for about 2 months and have not looked back at that game. I have played ToR the whole time it has been out and it has just about the same amount of major Raids and Instances as Rift, to my dislike. ToR has it's issues but it is not as bad as people around here make it. People had doomed this game from the moment it was announced, so it is no suprise that it's not pulling WoW numbers. I for one do not see why devs and players feel that an MMO has to have 10s of millions of players. Back in the 90s a MMO was glad to  have 10k players, and in comes WoW to upset the balance of things, and on a side note Rift is in the same boat as ToR. At least EA/BW has  the balls to post their sub numbers whether that be real or fake. I havent seen sub numbers for Rift since that game been out, but than they hide behind the private company bit. So they do not have to disclose that information.

Their playerbase isn't hurting, if that's what you're referring. I see plenty of players on RIFT on at all hours.

Its consistently shrinking and theres not enough lower level players to keep new players entertained.

• ArkanikArkanik Member Posts: 30

Its consistently shrinking and theres not enough lower level players to keep new players entertained.

There will be when mentoring goes into effect in 1.9 lvl 50's can mentor down and run dungeons, do lower lvl qsts, and help lower lvl toons while still gaining experience. With the expansion coming the gates will be flooded with people.At lvl 30 im seeing plenty of people and im on low pop server shatterbone.

nuff said. 

Originally posted by Arkanik

There will be when mentoring goes into effect in 1.9 lvl 50's can mentor down and run dungeons, do lower lvl qsts, and help lower lvl toons while still gaining experience. With the expansion coming the gates will be flooded with people.At lvl 30 im seeing plenty of people and im on low pop server shatterbone.

nuff said. 

At level 30, im not seeing very many people, and Im on the most populated server, wolfsbane. I just dont see why 50s would want to mentor down to do old content that wasnt that fun the first time around. When they could do the same dungeons at 50 and get real gear. Its not just a Rift problem. All of these themeparks have the same issue because of leveling.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Arkanik

nuff said. 

At level 30, im not seeing very many people, and Im on the most populated server, wolfsbane. I just dont see why 50s would want to mentor down to do old content that wasnt that fun the first time around. When they could do the same dungeons at 50 and get real gear. Its not just a Rift problem. All of these themeparks have the same issue because of leveling.

Level...

In every themepark ever created after around the 1 year mark the majority of the playerbase is sittign at max level with atleast one character.

If you wanted to play the game with a ton of people around you at low level you missed the boat during the first 1-3 months.

It takes less than two weeks to hit 50 and there's only four classes in the game. Most of the dedicated players have 4 50s by now.

There's no way to fix it, even mentoring wont and it makes no sense to complain about it. 

You want a game with no leveling? good luck.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    My problem with the game is its macro mechanics. Unless its changed since launch , you can setup essentially one or two macros for varying situations (aoe , pvp , single target , etc ) that literally roll through your abilities and with one button push fire off your best possible ability off cool down at all times.
    I enjoyed the game overall , but am just not into games that let you macro your way into not having to actively choose abilities on you own.
    Rifts macro system is too over the top for me.
  • ArkanikArkanik Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Dahkot72
    My problem with the game is its macro mechanics. Unless its changed since launch , you can setup essentially one or two macros for varying situations (aoe , pvp , single target , etc ) that literally roll through your abilities and with one button push fire off your best possible ability off cool down at all times.
    I enjoyed the game overall , but am just not into games that let you macro your way into not having to actively choose abilities on you own.
    Rifts macro system is too over the top for me.

There for you to use there not mandatory, if you enjoy not using macros like some of us do then dont use them . I prefer to not use them it keeps me engaged in combat . Kinda like a cash shop , i hate cash shops but i dont have to use them there just there for those who like to use them , no difference.( I did use macros at first and i see your point but after not using them i still did the exact same rotation with my skills and the outcome was the same.So i dont see the real problem with it it just saves the muscles in your fingers i guess lol).

As far as mentoring , alot of people love the lower level dungeons but dont go back to them because there is no challenge , and no point in it at lvl 50 . Being able to mentor yourself down to lvl 15 and running through some old content not only that will still reward you , but also adds 10 x the amount of end game content by letting you go and do anything in the game and not just high end content for rewards. Helping guildies out in dungeons , questing, closing rifts,  at any level now makes every zone viable at lvl 50 and not just while leveling up.

These are my views of course.