Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Sandbox MMO like SWG

RizzitRizzit Member UncommonPosts: 43

With lots of different skills and player housing and merchants you can setup etc....

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Then you're out of luck. No mmorpg atm that can compare to SWG.

None with similar game concept and design. 

Those that very arguably you could say are 'similar' are underfinanced, understaffed and on a brink of fall.

Well there is UO, but it is 15 year old and barely have any population.

and there is EvE which has all things good but is very specific game that does not play similarly to SWG in many aspects.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I would have to agree. SWG was it's own kind of game and a lot of those features I would kill to have again. Ryzom is always an alternative if you haven't tried it already.

• RegokRegok Member UncommonPosts: 27

Check out "The Repopulation."  Game isn't out yet but they are planning to have many of the features you mentioned.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'm a SWG vet and found a comfortable zone in Wurm Online.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by GTwander

I'm a SWG vet and found a comfortable zone in Wurm Online.

currently playing Wurm atm(Mol Rehan epic server)  i think wurm would be a Very big contender if he did more with graphics and possible a streamlining of the skill system and whatnot.  though i havent played for months on Wurm.  but I wish i had played SWG in it's "glory days"

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Doesn't exist, nearest thing I can think of is Eve, but I don't consider eve a game, all you do is click spread sheets all day, then sit and watch as your ship slowly does anything. On the Horizon there is Archeage but from what I heard about it, I dunno how well it'll pan out.

I will admit thou that swg's combat was horribly lame, you pretty much just sat there pressing the same 1 button till mob dies which can take 2-5 mins solo this is before the cu/nge. I actually owned swg around when it first came out but I got bored of it really fast. Quit after a few days on my free month and never went back.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

www.swgemu.com assuming you have your original SWG discs you can enjoy playing pre jedi SWG in its big sandbox.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Mortal Online has the things you mentioned.
  • joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by xDayx

MO?  last time i DL that the buggy game wouldn't even play.  have they recently fixed the bugs?

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by joojoo1975

MO?  last time i DL that the buggy game wouldn't even play.  have they recently fixed the bugs?

There is still some bugs(pets occasionally getting stuck is the most annoying). But a lot of the old bugs that were game breaking such as desync etc are gone. To anyone interested I would wait until after the next expansion comes out,which may be in a couple weeks. They are redoing the UI and adding mobs AI, armor dyes, player books, illegal items 64 bit client etc
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Rizzit

With lots of different skills and player housing and merchants you can setup etc....

Your post made me sad because I can't answer you.

Sure people in this thread have brought up Mortal Online and Saga of Ryzom. 

Hell I'll even toss Dark Fall into the mix but ultimately nothing is like Pre-CU SWG... and honestly we probably wont see a game like that ever again.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Rizzit

Your post made me sad because I can't answer you.

Sure people in this thread have brought up Mortal Online and Saga of Ryzom. 

Hell I'll even toss Dark Fall into the mix but ultimately nothing is like Pre-CU SWG... and honestly we probably wont see a game like that ever again.

Sad to say but so very true!

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

there is no good game you re looking for. the next thing will be arch age but i bet this will be full of manga eyes too ... :-(

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Trust us your not alone, if a game came out that was even close to SWG when it first came out we would all be playing it.

-Heraclitus 500BC

Originally posted by PyrateLV

http://www.therepopulation.com/

Interesting read, havent watched much new games being made, kinda gave up hope; However, this game doesnt look bad at all if they actually pull it off.

-Heraclitus 500BC

• pocus7575pocus7575 Member UncommonPosts: 3

You can try http://www.uthgard.net/ it s a daoc freeshard without the expansions I think u d like it

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

As mentioned by others here... start getting on the Repopulation bandwagon.  If you go donate some money at Kickstarter.com, you can get access to closed beta later this year/next year.

It's worth noting that a lot of this game has already been fleshed out as it has been in development roughly since 2007.  It got some good attention at GDC 2012 this year too.  It's going to be like SWG, but polished and modernized, and the devs are referring to it as a 'hybrid' because it will also have quests and whatnot.  For the most part though, it looks like a deep sandbox that will be a player driven experience.  That's what I personally want, not someone else's story shoved down my throat.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by joojoo1975

MO is so bad that they are having an "expansion" tp put in functional AI and useable UI.  There is a reason why the game has struggled for it's entire 2 year existance and laid off around 75% of their staff.

Is Raph Koster working on any new games?  Other than that I guess we are looking at Sandpark games like Archeage.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Is Raph Koster working on any new games?  Other than that I guess we are looking at Sandpark games like Archeage.

I believe Raph is still doing social games at the moment. Would be nice if he returned to MMOs though.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I did not see this one, thanks to everyone image for the heads up on the http://www.therepopulation.com mmorpg.

Gonna read more on this now.