Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 'Diablo III' That Never Was

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Great article and sad we did not get this version instead.

Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/28/the-diablo-iii-that-never-was/

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Thank you so much for sharing this article with us :)

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    The gothic heavenly halls of the Diablo III that never was look like an awesome setting for the game. But too stark, I suspect, for the World of Warcraft audience – an audience that played a key role in many of the decisions behind the release of Diablo III.

Nailed it.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I much prefer D3 as we got it today.  Easy to say some one else could have done it better but you never will know that for sure.

BTW this what Diablo looked like just before Blizzard took them onboard, yes Claymation and it was turned based.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I like D3 in its current form.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

that D3 that never was - was also a mmo

Max Schaefer interview

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/24969892500/max-schaefer-interview-torchlight2

You know, when I was working at Blizzard a million years ago we were working on Diablo 3 and it was an MMO. We were going to do the Diablo version of World of Warcraft. Blizzard obviously changed that pretty quickly, so we left to start Flagship Studios and we brought in a lot of the guys, so they rebooted with their own team.

Wait, the Diablo 3 MMO you were working on at Blizzard changed because Blizzard was working on World of Warcraft?
    No no, they changed because once they brought it in-house down at Blizzard, they had different design priorities and goals than we did. Again I totally approve of that.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Silverchild
    The gothic heavenly halls of the Diablo III that never was look like an awesome setting for the game. But too stark, I suspect, for the World of Warcraft audience – an audience that played a key role in many of the decisions behind the release of Diablo III.

Nailed it.

go play torchlight and think you play a good game. i loled.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Maybe D4 is codename Titan, lol.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by nyxium

Maybe D4 is codename Titan, lol.

You might be on to something there. Though I still think it will be World of Starcraft.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Mephster

Great article and sad we did not get this version instead.

Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/28/the-diablo-iii-that-never-was/

Looks way better than Diablo 3.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by expresso

I much prefer D3 as we got it today.  Easy to say some one else could have done it better but you never will know that for sure.

BTW this what Diablo looked like just before Blizzard took them onboard, yes Claymation and it was turned based.

Blizzard North did Diablo 2 times before so we know pretty well what they were capable of and not.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by expresso

Blizzard North did Diablo 2 times before so we know pretty well what they were capable of and not.

But we have no idea who out of Blizzard and Condor steered the game into what we know as Diablo 1/2 what we do know is that the game presented to Blizzard from Condor (to be known as Blizzard north) was a turned based game with claymation models, now who decided to change that? did Condor all on there own? did Blizzard have no influence in that? 

All I am saying is that Blizzard north did not make Diablo 1&2 all on there own Blizzard had a huge say in how it turned out.