Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intentionally small inventory space?

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Having intentionally small inventory space is a gimmick of F2P cash shop games. So, who's bags were all full this weekend? Mine were, despite being able to craft bags. The problem is that you can BUY two more bag slots in the CASH SHOP ONLY. I feel bad for people who choose other professions and couldn't even make themselves bags or choose not to craft. Luckly for them, you can buy bags in the cash shop! AHHH!

And if you are a crafter, you have to either keep your crap with you, or store it in your minimal bank space which is kept far away from you in the cities... Oh but like always, the gem shop has a solution for you, instant bank access cash shop items! Intentional? I'm thinking yes.

So far, what's not included in a $60 game is - Convenience, and inventory space that is not intentionally small... Anything else we can add? Maybe the fact that the game is not fixed into making you buy stuff from the cash shop.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

wow at release had small amount of storage and crafters could make more.  Wow wasn't a cash shop.

GW2 in beta has a small and crafters can make more.

take off the tin foil hat.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Having intentionally small inventory space is a gimmick of F2P cash shop games. So, who's bags were all full this weekend? Mine were, despite being able to craft bags. The problem is that you can BUY two more bag slots in the CASH SHOP ONLY. I feel bad for people who choose other professions and couldn't even make themselves bags or choose not to craft. Luckly for them, you can buy bags in the cash shop! AHHH!

And if you are a crafter, you have to either keep your crap with you, or store it in your minimal bank space which is kept far away from you in the cities... Oh but like always, the gem shop has a solution for you, instant bank access cash shop items! Intentional? I'm thinking yes.

So far, what's not included in a $60 game is - Convenience, and inventory space that is not intentionally small... Anything else we can add? Maybe the fact that the game is not fixed into making you buy stuff from the cash shop.

:)

Next time you're in game, right click on your crafting mats, select "send to collection" They go on the second tab of your bank, the one I'm guessing you didn't know about..that holds unlimited amounts of crafting mats, shared between all chars. 

Note this doesn't apply to anything crafted...that is if you turn wood into planks, you can't send them to collection. But this should still free up plenty of space. With all 8-slot crafted bags and no additional spacebought, I was getting by fine. I can see some hardcore crafters with multiple crafting alts haivng trouble if they have tons of spare parts lying around though.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

You can send mats and crap straight to the bank, it quickly clears up inventory space.

Also armoursmithing gets an 8 slot bag almost right away.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

always was in guild wars 1 in my opinion lol but i don't think they did it just on the basis of the 'pocket' bank, yes obviously having to empty your bags so often will entise those players who are likely to buy in the store to get their own gems but the one thing that makes me say no is because you can buy gems with gold, so effectivly you still wouldnt have to spend a penny of your real money

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Small? SMALL?! Are you frakking kidding me? They're providing one of the largest initial inventories I've seen any game provide.

You have seen all the collectible space, haven't you? Never again shall we be cluttered in the bags by crafting materials.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

GW2 was one of the first games where I almost never went back to a bank. Hours upon hours out roaming around simply salvaging things and sending stuff back to my bank from my inventory.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

OP should educate himself before making statements that are foolish.

Your bags are ROUGHLY the same size as your bags/bank in GW1.  In GW1 you were about to buy a couple ingame and a couple out of game.  You were able to purchase mat storage in game which held up to 250 of a mat.  I'm pretty sure GW2 made that number unlimited.  All characters in game had access to the same bank.

I think you just wanted to post to make some flippant remark about P2W or other silliness.  

Move along, nothing to see here.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Volkon

Small? SMALL?! Are you frakking kidding me? They're providing one of the largest initial inventories I've seen any game provide.

You have seen all the collectible space, haven't you? Never again shall we be cluttered in the bags by crafting materials.

Ten bucks says he didn't know collectible space was there. Seriously. my gf and I were playing for several hours in BWE 2 together, and I got annoyed when she kept making runs to clear her bags every few minutes. This is when I KNOW she has full 8-slots; she made me mine. And my inv is nearly empy all the time! So I ask her why all the inventory runs, and she tells me "I have tons of crafting materials that I salvaged sitting in my bags.

Two minutes and a patient conversation later, and she was alternately laughing, cursing, and swearing Anet was a bunch of geniuses.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Check his post history. It's all cash shop rants.
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

You know there's a special crafting tab for raw materials in your bank inventory, right?   And you've noticed that it sorts everything to craft level while it's at it?  And that you can right click on it and send it directly to the bank?   And each type of item stacks to 250 units.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bank

These are all the things that have special bank tabs:

The collections section contains:

I mean....   There is a HUGE amout of inventory in this game.    GW1 which had a bit less, I had four tabs for 8 characters.   But that'd be over-kill in this game because you don't need to horde drops, like you did in GW1, to move the between your characters.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

Ofcourse it is intentional. NCsoft projects about 150 million this year from GW2 box sales. Unless they are building a game to break even, they need to make the cash shop compeling.

Completely understandable. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Really, just the smallest amount of research would help you save face.

1) Right click crafting supplies in your inventory, select "Deposit Collectible" from anywhere in the world, and it will get sent to your bank in a tab that has one dedicated slot for each and every single separate craft supply. I don't know what's the max per slot, but I had at one point 300+ wood sitting in one, so it's quite high.

2) You can also buy bags from people who do craft. In fact, that's sort of how it works. People who like to craft, do, those who don't, don't, and instead pay someone else to craft the bags (and other items for them). This is how crafting works in every MMO, ever. It has nothing to do with the payment model.

3) Inventory space isn't small to begin with, and even the smallest amount of crafting will let you make bags more than big enough to store the crap you get along the way. There's absolutely no reason to keep loot in your inventory unless you're going to equip it, otherwise you break it down and sell or store the crafting materials. The only possible reason you could want to keep a huge selection of armor/weapons in your inventory is if you're a total queen about the fashions.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

small????? this is a joke???? we have a big slot bag and we have bags with 8 slots (possible we can get even more than 8 slots bags).

in fact we dont need such big space on bags since craft material can be send directly to bank  and armour/weapon we dont want we can instant travel to a vendor and sell or turn them on craft item and send to bank

im tired of this non sense posts. people dont even bother to do a minimum research before make this ridiculous topics

the bag system on GW2 is amazing still some guys complain about that....incredible

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Once again remove foot after speaking ....I seem to have a lot of bag room and bank storage , I'm starting to wonder if the op wouldn't be better of trying another game ,his fixation with the cash shop seems to be clouding his thoughts .

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

I'm sorry, what?

You start with 15 slots, you get an extra 4 right away...

By lvl 5, I have 35 slots...

By lvl 10 I had 42 slots.

By lvl 15, I was using 4x 15 slot bags, plus my starter... 75 slots...

How many bag slots do you get in other games? tell me, which other game gives you that much space, let alone more?

And yes, I can buy more bag slots from the cash shop... So if I had wanted to I could have had over 100 bag slots... but why would I need that, really?

Also, since you can access your mail from everywhere, you can use mail to store stuff pretty easily as well...

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

1.  Salvage kit all salvageable items you're not going to use.

2.  Send collectibles (crafting materials) to bank.

2b.  They improved collectible tab so even special items like small fangs and venom sacs have their own slots.

2c.  They even have slots for common crafting components like refined metal bars, wood planks, thread and the like.

3.  Sell directly to auction house for any items you think you can make money off of.

4.  If you ever get a friend, you can mail stuff directly to friends, from anywhere.

5.  Really easy to make 8 slot bags.  I'm on 10 slot bags already, personally.

6.  Vendors are all over the maps.  There's a convenient 'sell junk' button that lets you quickly clear your inventory of stuff that has no worth.

All your problems are solved!  They in fact have a BETTER inventory management system than P2P games and just as much inventory space.

I hope you apologize to Arenanet for maligning them. :(

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

No problems for me.  I had issues with my bank at first, but then I figured out collections :)  I am a pack rat too.  I did have tailoring and then armorsmithing on some characters, so bags were easy to come by.  Once the game is released and the economy is in full force, bags will be easy to come by for anyone I imagine.  They may already be, I didn't mess with the trading post and have no idea how it works lol.

Originally posted by Worstluck

No problems for me.  I had issues with my bank at first, but then I figured out collections :)  I am a pack rat too.  I did have tailoring and then armorsmithing on some characters, so bags were easy to come by.  Once the game is released and the economy is in full force, bags will be easy to come by for anyone I imagine.  They may already be, I didn't mess with the trading post and have no idea how it works lol.

you can even get 8 slots bags from sPvP

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Teleporting is hard!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by cooper85

Ofcourse it is intentional. NCsoft projects about 150 million this year from GW2 box sales. Unless they are building a game to break even, they need to make the cash shop compeling.

Completely understandable. 

Okay, Betakodo's excuse was he wasn't aware he was about to jam his foot in his mouth all the way up to the thigh.

You posted AFTER people explained the totally awesome and sweet inventory management system, along with convenient features like auction house and mail from anywhere.

So what's YOUR excuse?  Solidarity in cash shop hate no matter how ridiculous you end up looking? :(

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I'm about as anti-F2P / cash-shop model as they come and I have posted several criticisms of this model in general, and even posted many fears that it will negatively impact GW2.  However, I see no issues with GW2's cash shop thus far in the beta.

IMO, a cash shop becomes a bad thing when one of two things occur:

1.  The game is designed around getting you to pay money in the cash shop, and the general gameplay suffers because of it.  A good example of this is making a game extremely grindy to get players to buy exp potions.  Another example would be allow "P2W" in PvP so that if you don't pay ni PvP you will typically lose.

2.  The game uses some kind of "bait and switch" tactic, where the game is advertised as "free" but then you find that you really have to pay money for some reason to make it tenable to play.  An example of this would be basically what the OP is saying, if there was not enough inventory space in the game to do much and you had to buy more in the CS to make it playable.  But well...this just isn't the case with GW2 for all the reasons stated thus far.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Meowhead

2b.  They improved collectible tab so even special items like small fangs and venom sacs have their own slots.

2c.  They even have slots for common crafting components like refined metal bars, wood planks, thread and the like.

3.  Sell directly to auction house for any items you think you can make money off of.

4.  If you ever get a friend, you can mail stuff directly to friends, from anywhere.

6.  Vendors are all over the maps.  There's a convenient 'sell junk' button that lets you quickly clear your inventory of stuff that has no worth.

All your problems are solved!  They in fact have a BETTER inventory management system than P2P games and just as much inventory space.

You know he wont. All we will see is another "evil cash shop" thread. 

Also, so everyone knows, crafting mat's do have a limit in the collectables. I could not put more then 250 green wood in the collectable area of the bank. 

Originally posted by Skarecrow7

Also, so everyone knows, crafting mat's do have a limit in the collectables. I could not put more then 250 green wood in the collectable area of the bank. 

need craft them. that is a lot of green wood xD

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7

At that point it is worth it to make the run to town and move the full stack to your regular bank slot, so you can keep auto-stashing your mats...

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

As others have said and since you bring up crafting mats specifically, GW2 has this utterly fantastic feature that allows you to instantly deposit crafting mats to a special part of your bank from anywhere in the world.  What's more is that this bank tab can hold tens of thousands of mats and it automatically sorts them into relevant categories!  There is one slot for every material in the game and even has faded icons to show where mats you don't yet have would go.  My only suggestion (which I posted on the beta forums) is to add a "deposit all collectibles" button to your bag, similar to their newly added "sell all junk" option on vendors.  

As if all that weren't enough, you can teleport all over for extremely low prices.  

I mean don't get me wrong.  I hate small inventories in online and offline games alike.  I no longer think there is anything remotely compelling about managing an inventory.  I'll take the infinite inventories of Final Fantasy games over the severe restrictions of games like Elder Scrolls or Diablo.  Barring server limitations (of which I have little knowledge), I see no reason for MMOs to limit player inventories.  I'm also wary of f2p ploys that essentially force players to make certain purchases, because, well, that's not really f2p at all.  I had some inventory fears prior to playing GW2; it was on my list of concerns, but following the beta and after crafting 2 professions to near 100, all my fears have been quelled.