Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If it is true that SWTOR cost near 500mil...

Comments

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by evianwater
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Moaky07
    Ori

He can google all day, the only ones talking 500M was with the cost of BW added in.

Or folks wanting to make drama queen posts....but you know how that goes around here. I know you would never do something like that on purpose Taela.

I created a thread, I took a number that was in an article...there were lots of numbers tossed around about how much this game cost to make.  I think the 500 mill is closer than many people may believe, when you take into cosideration all that went into making this game...I do not believe this game cost less than 250 mil.   I think it cost somewhere between 300 and 500 mil.    That is my opinion.    I am speculating this because EA's stocks have literally tanked since the release of this game.   Even though EA has games like BF3, DA, and many others that are quite successful...their stocks are still tanking.   Only one thing can be the cause of that.  EA  gambled on SWOTR being a major success and it isn't paying off.   They are losing their shirts on it.   That is why their stocks are tanking.

I learned years ago not to own.video game company stock as more than a day trade. It will never make you money. Even activision stock lost most of its value after buying blizzard value a few weeks after the pop. As for the cost of TOR, it wasn't 500 million. It was north of 100 but way under 500.

This!

Something she will never understand unless she creats her own imaginary number, which she is clearly good at doing.

I didn't make the number up.  Just google it and you find this.  This was the first page from Google,

1. Analyst believes Star Wars: The Old Republic had a $500 million ...

massively.joystiq.com/.../analyst-believes-star-wars-the-old-republic-...
      21 posts - 17 authors - Jan 17
      Is Star Wars: The Old Republic the next big thing in MMOs? ... analyst Michael Pachter, who targeted the price tag at roughly $80 million when all was said and done. ... It's obvious SWTOR cost more than 80millions to make.
    2. STAR WARS: The Old Republic - Market Watch Claims SWTOR Cost EA ...

www.swtor.com › ... › EnglishGeneral Discussion
      Jan 19, 2012 – Market Watch Claims SWTOR Cost EA 500 Million General Discussion. ... The Old Republic cost EA $500 million, MMO a “risky bet,” claims analyst ... risky bet,” says Creutz, suggesting that “the total all-in investment in Star Wars is ... to ever make it into the black (that's economy-talk for “stop losing money”).
      Lessons Learned‎ - 22 posts - May 27, 2012
      SWTOR rumored to be the most ...‎ - 10 posts - Jan 19, 2012
      [unOFFICIAL] SWTOR cost 500 million ...‎ - 10 posts - Jan 18, 2012
      500 million dollars - Page 5‎ - 10 posts - Jan 17, 2012

More results from swtor.com »

3. The Old Republic cost EA $500 million, MMO a ... | GamesRadar

www.gamesradar.com/analysts-eas-stake-old-republic-probably-appr...
      Jan 18, 2012 – Speaking to Market Watch, analyst Doug Creutz estimates that Electronic Arts likely invested around $500 million dollars on Star Wars: The Old Republic, ... says Creutz, suggesting that “the total all-in investment in Star Wars is probably approaching half a ... That, or it could be used to make 10 AAA games.
    4. Star Wars: Old Republic cost EA $500M, says analyst - Star Wars ...

www.videogamer.com/.../star_wars_the_old_republic/.../star_wars_ol...
      Jan 18, 2012 – Star Wars: Old Republic cost EA $500M, says analyst ... EA has invested $500 million in MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic, according to Doug ... Build an Old Republic PC for under £370 and win an HD7850, final part1 ...
    5. If it is true that SWTOR cost near 500mil... - General Discussion ...

www.mmorpg.com/.../If-it-is-true-that-SWTOR-cost-near-500mil.ht...
      20 minutes ago – Posted in the Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion forum at MMORPG.com. ... I'll say the game cost near 500 mil because that is what some others ... also mentions that another "analyst" suggested that it cost 80 million ... No MMO ever cost 500 Million Dollars to make , I think you have an extra 0 ...
    6. Analyst Says EA Invested $500 Million into Star Wars: The Old ...

www.gamefront.com/analyst-says-ea-invested-500-million-into-star-...
      Jan 17, 2012 – Read Analyst Says EA Invested $500 Million into Star Wars: The Old Republic and ... keep costs down and hedge their bets over Star Wars: The Old Republic's success, ... Quick, Get In As Much Torchlight 2 Beta As You Can!
    7. Analyst: EA's Spent $500 Million On The Old Republic

www.escapistmagazine.com › The Escapist ForumsThe News Room
      90 posts - 29 authors - Jan 18
      "I think it's safe to say that the total all-in investment in 'Star Wars' is ... costs are included in that $500m estimate then they will make a profit.
    8. Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million to develop ...

www.gamespot.com/.../star-wars-the-old-republic-cost-200-million-t...
      Jan 20, 2012 – Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million to develop ... It's safe to say The Old Republic's budget was bigger than that of most games. ... the $80 million forecast by Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter last May. ... That's about as much as it cost Cameron to make Titanic ! .... I heard it was 500 million.
    9. PC News: EA 'probably invested $500 million' in The Old Republic ...

www.computerandvideogames.com/.../ea-probably-invested-500-mil...
      Jan 18, 2012 – Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA has. ... Get me my pre-order! mattdark Watch Dogs: Of course people are excited! ... Analyst says result of "risky bet" could come to define CEO John Riccitiello's tenure .... combat to Xbox 360 · First actual price for Wii U appears online for pre-order - and it's HOW MUCH?
    10. Analyst: EA has invested close to $500 million in SWTOR | VG247

www.vg247.com/.../analyst-ea-has-invested-close-to-500-million-in-s...
      Jan 17, 2012 – Tags: analyst, Doug Creutz, star wars, Star Wars The Old Republic, swtor, ... I am curious how analysts get these numbers besides the obvious out ... Avatar which is fully CGI using new 3D tech is said to cost 230-500 million.

Did you read these sources ? I stopped after the 4th source that was just a site repeating one analyst from Marketwatch. It's the same analyst over and over..and even in one of the sources it says the dude from Marketwatch threw out a 500 mil figure, then two sentences later mentions another analyst says 80 million.

This just shows.. no one effing knows!

Hey  wait, you said I made the number up and you had never heard of it.   I said I did hear of it.  You said prove it.  I did.  So there you go.  Right or wrong...you give me a number you can back up and I'll use that number.  Until then I am taking the largest number thrown out there because in my opinion, based on the everything we know about what went into the making of this game and I bet it is closer to 500 mil.   You can disagree all you want...that is fine...until you can give me a solid number and can back it up I'm going with my opinion.

I said you like making numbers, he said he's never heard of it!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Ginaz

I created a thread, I took a number that was in an article...there were lots of numbers tossed around about how much this game cost to make.  I think the 500 mill is closer than many people may believe, when you take into cosideration all that went into making this game...I do not believe this game cost less than 250 mil.   I think it cost somewhere between 300 and 500 mil.    That is my opinion.    I am speculating this because EA's stocks have literally tanked since the release of this game.   Even though EA has games like BF3, DA, and many others that are quite successful...their stocks are still tanking.   Only one thing can be the cause of that.  EA  gambled on SWOTR being a major success and it isn't paying off.   They are losing their shirts on it.   That is why their stocks are tanking.

How do you even speculate that there's only "one reason" why EA's stocks would fall ?

There's so many damn variables..and EA is a *huge* company. Hell even their last Madden performed poorly, and their NBA games. 

It could also be related to a market that sees video games as a luxury, and under current economic pressure there's less spending on luxury items. Why would you invest in a company that sells luxury right now ?

It just sounds like you're trying to stir up trouble for the sake of it...

I made an observation...and wonder.   EA's stocks nose dive.  SWTORS subs nose dive.    Coincidence?  That is what this thread is about.  Nothing more.

/facepalm

Here let me hold your hand and help you out here.

Oh look a bigger picture!

EA Stock

Thank you...good picture...it is even more telling.   EA looked to be on the verge of a major upswing in Nov and Dec of last year...and now the stock is at it's lowest since it went public.   So yes, thank you.

No one has seriously invested in EA in years.  Was it not just recently deemed to be THE worst compnay in the US? 

And your links are pretty much quoting the same guy over and over.  Again, just because some random dude on the internet says a thing, doesn't make it true, no matter how much you want it to be.

Well then I guess EA should step up and squash all this speculating.  LOL

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Hey  wait, you said I made the number up and you had never heard of it.   I said I did hear of it.  You said prove it.  I did.  So there you go.  Right or wrong...you give me a number you can back up and I'll use that number.  Until then I am taking the largest number thrown out there because in my opinion, based on the everything we know about when went into the making of this game and I bet it is closer to 500 mil.   You can disagree all you want...that is fine...until you can give me a solid number I'm going with my opinion.

I'll make the two points I'm trying to make very simple :

1. There is not a number that is valid. 80m Isn't valid, neither is 500m. But I'd tend to lean closer to a number that has more then a *single* analyst saying it.

2. SWTOR is not nearly big enough to have a major affect on a company as big as EA. 

and since you like google so much : http://techie-buzz.com/gaming/cost-develop-video-game.html and wrap your noodle around how many games EA develops in a 5-10 year period (I can't remember how long Bioware was in development)

Hey  wait, you said I made the number up and you had never heard of it.   I said I did hear of it.  You said prove it.  I did.  So there you go.  Right or wrong...you give me a number you can back up and I'll use that number.  Until then I am taking the largest number thrown out there because in my opinion, based on the everything we know about when went into the making of this game and I bet it is closer to 500 mil.   You can disagree all you want...that is fine...until you can give me a solid number I'm going with my opinion.

1. There is not a number that is valid. 80m Isn't valid, neither is 500m. But I'd tend to lean closer to a number that has more then a *single* analyst saying it.

2. SWTOR is not nearly big enough to have a major affect on a company as big as EA. 

and since you like google so much : http://techie-buzz.com/gaming/cost-develop-video-game.html and wrap your noodle around how many games EA develops in a 5-10 year period (I can't remember how long Bioware was in development)

I'm just saying.   Is it a coincidence or isn't it?   Funny that EA's stocks nose dive at about the same rate they have lost players.   I just think that is really interesting.

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

Seriously guys, didn't you know that BW actually spent the full annual budget of both Lichtenstein and Vatican City on creating SWTOR?

The first was sort of a "heck, it's there we may as well drain all it's money, nobody's going to miss it" - and if you were saying "what the Hell is Lichtenstein?" you know their plan worked quite well.

The second, well, there was actually a bit of a deeper plan behind it: With the Vatican City sucked dry there is obviously no longer no holy glory of the Pope - I heard he is actually now serving fries at a McD's in Rome -  so nobody to make a stand on Earth against the coming of the Devil.

Which, well, considering that BW by proxy of EA actually did a deal with the Devil for a further undisclosed sum (and apparently a steady supply of baby seals that they all get to clobber to death and eat each morning) makes perfect sense as now for the next expansion release for SWTOR they can actually get the hooved guy to talk an easy stroll around Earth. 

by the way, I'm sure you all know that the coming expansion is called "Hissss First Coming"?

just putting the information out there... ;-)

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by sirphobos

Every time someone brings up how much SWTOR cost to develop, the number grows higher.  By next near, SWTOR will have cost approximately $5 billion to develop.

Here we have it folks.  Random internet guy has said it cost $5 billion.  How long until we see a topic here titled "If it is true that SWTOR cost near $5 billion..."?  I mean, its been posted on the internet and everything so it might, possibly, maybe, could be true.

I know sirphobos was being sarcastic in his post so mine wasn't a jab at him, just agreeing with his line of thinking.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

I'm just saying.   Is it a coincidence or isn't it?   Funny that EA's stocks nose dive at about the same rate they have lost players.   I just think that is really interesting.

It's not a coincidence because you're comparing a stock that has had a negative correlation for 4 years and saying a single event in the 4th year is the cause.

You're not taking *anything* else into account. All you're doing is trying to piss people off.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Valentina

Originally posted by udon
    Ori

He can google all day, the only ones talking 500M was with the cost of BW added in.

Or folks wanting to make drama queen posts....but you know how that goes around here. I know you would never do something like that on purpose Taela.

I learned years ago not to own.video game company stock as more than a day trade. It will never make you money. Even activision stock lost most of its value after buying blizzard value a few weeks after the pop. As for the cost of TOR, it wasn't 500 million. It was north of 100 but way under 500.

This!

Something she will never understand unless she creats her own imaginary number, which she is clearly good at doing.

I didn't make the number up.  Just google it and you find this.  This was the first page from Google,

1. Analyst believes Star Wars: The Old Republic had a $500 million ...

massively.joystiq.com/.../analyst-believes-star-wars-the-old-republic-...
      21 posts - 17 authors - Jan 17
      Is Star Wars: The Old Republic the next big thing in MMOs? ... analyst Michael Pachter, who targeted the price tag at roughly $80 million when all was said and done. ... It's obvious SWTOR cost more than 80millions to make.
    2. STAR WARS: The Old Republic - Market Watch Claims SWTOR Cost EA ...

www.swtor.com › ... › English › General Discussion
      Jan 19, 2012 – Market Watch Claims SWTOR Cost EA 500 Million General Discussion. ... The Old Republic cost EA $500 million, MMO a “risky bet,” claims analyst ... risky bet,” says Creutz, suggesting that “the total all-in investment in Star Wars is ... to ever make it into the black (that's economy-talk for “stop losing money”).
      Lessons Learned? - 22 posts - May 27, 2012
      SWTOR rumored to be the most ...? - 10 posts - Jan 19, 2012
      [unOFFICIAL] SWTOR cost 500 million ...? - 10 posts - Jan 18, 2012
      500 million dollars - Page 5? - 10 posts - Jan 17, 2012

More results from swtor.com »

3. The Old Republic cost EA $500 million, MMO a ... | GamesRadar

www.gamesradar.com/analysts-eas-stake-old-republic-probably-appr...
      Jan 18, 2012 – Speaking to Market Watch, analyst Doug Creutz estimates that Electronic Arts likely invested around $500 million dollars on Star Wars: The Old Republic, ... says Creutz, suggesting that “the total all-in investment in Star Wars is probably approaching half a ... That, or it could be used to make 10 AAA games.
    4. Star Wars: Old Republic cost EA $500M, says analyst - Star Wars ...

www.videogamer.com/.../star_wars_the_old_republic/.../star_wars_ol...
      Jan 18, 2012 – Star Wars: Old Republic cost EA $500M, says analyst ... EA has invested $500 million in MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic, according to Doug ... Build an Old Republic PC for under £370 and win an HD7850, final part1 ...
    5. If it is true that SWTOR cost near 500mil... - General Discussion ...

www.mmorpg.com/.../If-it-is-true-that-SWTOR-cost-near-500mil.ht...
      20 minutes ago – Posted in the Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion forum at MMORPG.com. ... I'll say the game cost near 500 mil because that is what some others ... also mentions that another "analyst" suggested that it cost 80 million ... No MMO ever cost 500 Million Dollars to make , I think you have an extra 0 ...
    6. Analyst Says EA Invested $500 Million into Star Wars: The Old ...

www.gamefront.com/analyst-says-ea-invested-500-million-into-star-...
      Jan 17, 2012 – Read Analyst Says EA Invested $500 Million into Star Wars: The Old Republic and ... keep costs down and hedge their bets over Star Wars: The Old Republic's success, ... Quick, Get In As Much Torchlight 2 Beta As You Can!
    7. Analyst: EA's Spent $500 Million On The Old Republic

www.escapistmagazine.com › The Escapist Forums › The News Room
      90 posts - 29 authors - Jan 18
      "I think it's safe to say that the total all-in investment in 'Star Wars' is ... costs are included in that $500m estimate then they will make a profit.
    8. Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million to develop ...

www.gamespot.com/.../star-wars-the-old-republic-cost-200-million-t...
      Jan 20, 2012 – Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million to develop ... It's safe to say The Old Republic's budget was bigger than that of most games. ... the $80 million forecast by Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter last May. ... That's about as much as it cost Cameron to make Titanic ! .... I heard it was 500 million.
    9. PC News: EA 'probably invested $500 million' in The Old Republic ...

www.computerandvideogames.com/.../ea-probably-invested-500-mil...
      Jan 18, 2012 – Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA has. ... Get me my pre-order! mattdark Watch Dogs: Of course people are excited! ... Analyst says result of "risky bet" could come to define CEO John Riccitiello's tenure .... combat to Xbox 360 · First actual price for Wii U appears online for pre-order - and it's HOW MUCH?
    10. Analyst: EA has invested close to $500 million in SWTOR | VG247

www.vg247.com/.../analyst-ea-has-invested-close-to-500-million-in-s...
      Jan 17, 2012 – Tags: analyst, Doug Creutz, star wars, Star Wars The Old Republic, swtor, ... I am curious how analysts get these numbers besides the obvious out ... Avatar which is fully CGI using new 3D tech is said to cost 230-500 million.

Did you read these sources ? I stopped after the 4th source that was just a site repeating one analyst from Marketwatch. It's the same analyst over and over..and even in one of the sources it says the dude from Marketwatch threw out a 500 mil figure, then two sentences later mentions another analyst says 80 million.

Hehe...

I don't really get why the OP at point 5 is quoting herself as legitimate source, seems kinda narcissistic to me. Or the OP is trolling everyone including herself?

As for the whole '500 million dollar' blabla, that's just bullcrap. We're talking development costs here, most people, meaning the actual costs that it takes to make an MMORPG. For the most expensive AAA MMO's that was 50-60 million dollars max.

Yet for TOR suddenly advertisements costs and the purchasing costs for a whole takeover should be taken into account?? At that point it looks to me that people are getting wet with the ecstacy of trollbaiting other people with nonsensical blown up info, because it was a boring friday for them -_-
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Please let's not start introducing logic and intelligence into this wonderful thread.  Teala would rather have us all believe that SWTOR, a game that EA recently said wasn't even a top priority for them, has single-handedly sunk the EA empire. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Ginaz

How do you even speculate that there's only "one reason" why EA's stocks would fall ?

There's so many damn variables..and EA is a *huge* company. Hell even their last Madden performed poorly, and their NBA games. 

It could also be related to a market that sees video games as a luxury, and under current economic pressure there's less spending on luxury items. Why would you invest in a company that sells luxury right now ?

It just sounds like you're trying to stir up trouble for the sake of it...

I made an observation...and wonder.   EA's stocks nose dive.  SWTORS subs nose dive.    Coincidence?  That is what this thread is about.  Nothing more.

/facepalm

Here let me hold your hand and help you out here.

Oh look a bigger picture!

EA Stock

Thank you...good picture...it is even more telling.   EA looked to be on the verge of a major upswing in Nov and Dec of last year...and now the stock is at it's lowest since it went public.   So yes, thank you.

No one has seriously invested in EA in years.  Was it not just recently deemed to be THE worst compnay in the US? 

And your links are pretty much quoting the same guy over and over.  Again, just because some random dude on the internet says a thing, doesn't make it true, no matter how much you want it to be.

Well then I guess EA should step up and squash all this speculating.  LOL

They have no obligation to you or me or anyone else here to tell how much it cost.  Only their shareholders should know that.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    [edited by myself] mistake post

It's not a coincidence because you're comparing a stock that has had a negative correlation for 4 years and saying a single event in the 4th year is the cause.

You're not taking *anything* else into account. All you're doing is trying to piss people off.

If you are getting pissed because I point out a funny coincidence...that is my fault?  I am trying to show that there is a coincidence here.  It is not made up.   EA's stocks climbed as the release of SWTOR grew near.  It peaked at the launch.  After the launch the stocks start going down.   It's as if the stock went down as more and more players left and it is still going down.   If you do not think there is something odd there and care to speculate as to why it would follow that weird pattern then don't.  If you are getting angry becuase I point that out.  ::shrugs:: Not my fault.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

No...I think you are wrong when you consider the cost of voice acting and the amount of it that is in SWTOR.  That adds up very quickly.  Plus, look at how much was spent ona game like Kingdom of Amalur.  It cost like 175 mil to produce.   That is according to the documents that were made public by the state of Rhode Island.   So if a game like that cost 175mil, is it easy to say that a game like SWTOR may have cost near 500 mil.

Wrong though. 

I know article you're refrerring to.

KoA did NOT cost 175 mln $.

Article pointed that KoA would have to sell 2-3 x times better than it did, in order to help 38 Studios stay aflot and pay for it's expenses for both KoA AND Copernicus development + other expenses like loan payments and such.

Too much people interpret it incorrectly and thus it started to be urban legend.

If you are getting pissed because I point out a funny coincidence...that is my fault?  I am trying to show that there is a coincidence her.  It is not made up.   EA's stocks climbed as the released of SWTOR grew near.  It peaked at the launch.  After the launch the stocks start going down.   It's as if the stock went down as more and more players left and it is still going down.   If you do not think there is something odd there and care to speculate as to why it would follow that weird pattern then don't.  If you are getting angry becuase I point that out.  ::shrugs:: Not my fault.

Again..you ignore half of what I say. Do you understand what a negative correlation is ?

It's what these analysts tend to use when predicting growth or decline. Including stocks. 

I don't have the free time or desire to do it, but I'd be willing to bet on the salary from the 500m genius from Market watch that if you took the average EA stock price from 2008 to 2012, December 2011-June 2012 would not be an outlier.

And just another note : Many of EA's premier titles are in a lull at this point. Madden, Fifa, NCAA, etc...etc...etc

You don't think that could be linked to a drop in stock prices ? Or that it was recently labeled the *worst* company in the world ?

Edit : Take Madden as an example, a premier title for EA, that has been selling very poorly since 2007. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

And still no comment about the actual trends in the stock market. I don't really think you are doing anything but looking at one squiggly line. Same rate? really? where is your math to prove this.

Look, EA has its issues and SWToR is not a juggernaut but I think your argument isn't focused on the correct reasoning. If the market was trending up and EA was dipping at the same time you would have a better argument.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

If you are getting pissed because I point out a funny coincidence...that is my fault?  I am trying to show that there is a coincidence her.  It is not made up.   EA's stocks climbed as the released of SWTOR grew near.  It peaked at the launch.  After the launch the stocks start going down.   It's as if the stock went down as more and more players left and it is still going down.   If you do not think there is something odd there and care to speculate as to why it would follow that weird pattern then don't.  If you are getting angry becuase I point that out.  ::shrugs:: Not my fault.

Again..you ignore half of what I say. Do you understand what a negative correlation is ?

It's what these analysts tend to use when predicting growth or decline. Including stocks. 

I don't have the free time or desire to do it, but I'd be willing to bet on the salary from the 500m genius from Market watch that if you took the average EA stock price from 2008 to 2012, December 2011-June 2012 would not be an outlier.

And just another note : Many of EA's premier titles are in a lull at this point. Madden, MW, Fifa, NCAA, etc...etc...etc

You don't think that could be linked to a drop in stock prices ? Or that it was recently labeled the *worst* company in the world ?

No

If you are getting pissed because I point out a funny coincidence...that is my fault?  I am trying to show that there is a coincidence here.  It is not made up.   EA's stocks climbed as the release of SWTOR grew near.  It peaked at the launch.  After the launch the stocks start going down.   It's as if the stock went down as more and more players left and it is still going down.   If you do not think there is something odd there and care to speculate as to why it would follow that weird pattern then don't.  If you are getting angry becuase I point that out.  ::shrugs:: Not my fault.

Except anyone with an ounce of deductive reasoning and who is NOT wearing a tinfoil hat can see that this is most defintely NOT a coincidence.  EA's stocks have been going down for years.  And yes, of course their stocks would show a surge just before SWTOR released, because the game had a tremendous amount of hype.  That's how it works.  Once the game failed to live up to the hype, EA's stocks continued their downward trend like they've been doing for YEARS before SWTOR got released.  

If your point was to say that SWTOR hasn't lived up to the hype, and failed to save EA's asses, then yeah, I think most reasonable people would agree with you.  But that isn't your point.  Your point was to create a fictional correlation between two things that really don't have any correlation.  Do you think that SWTOR is EA's only game?  Just a few weeks ago EA publicly said that SWTOR wasn't a very high priority for them in terms of future development.  We all got a good laugh out of that, and I'm sure you did, too.  And yet, now suddenly you'd have us believe that this game, which isn't even in EA's Top tier of games, is soley responsible for the decline of the company?  

Mods should go ahead and lock this ridiculous thread up.  There's only one reason it was started, and no good can come of it.  

• War_MachineWar_Machine Member Posts: 22

Who cares? Why spend hours fighting with the trolls and their sketchy number? Let it die.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. That's it.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

<THEY EMPLOYED VOICE ACTORS NOT SOME FOLKS OFF THE STREET, REAL EXPERIENCED VOICE ACTORS AND THEY DIDNT PAY THEM IN BANANAS OR MAGIC BEANS>

That alone cost a small fortune.  You can go on about plucking numbers out of thin air or "haters" ganging up on poor old swtor, all I know is those people got paid good money and probably lots of it.

Yes 500 mill sounds about right factoring in the extra costs they added ontop of what is an expensive genre to make a game for.

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

ok ill post this here since i already posted in another post

since in a reasonable planning they were expecting to make 500 million(after a few years and expansions)then no it didint cost 500 milion to make

-----------------------------------------------

well a lot of random numbers here...so lets speak with acutal ones :P

EA said that with 500.000 subs for over a year they will make a profit,also LA will take 35% of the profi AFTER and ONLY AFTER EA makes the initial investment 

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/15726/ea-will-make-a-profit-with-star-wars-the-old-republic-lucasarts-take-35

here is the link with the statements so  lets do some basic math

500.000 x 60$ (the box sales)=30.000.000 Millions

now subs

500.000 x 15$(subs)=7.500.000/month

7.500.000 x 12(months)=90.000.000

so

90.000.000+30.000.000=120.000.000

in the first year alone

since they say that and after that they state about the long term investement in years they expect to make those money in the first year,because they say that a plan for years that will eventually give them aroun 400 million its like a 3-4 year plan with pure profit for them and LA so most probably the game costed around 150.000.000$ thats a 30 million error margin in the numbers :P 

now we know for sure that SWTOR sold 2.1 million copies and it had for 4 months 1.7 million subs so we have the

(i will not count colectors and such)

2.100.000*60$=126.000.000$(ops their initial investement

now we have 

1.700.000*15(tmonthly income)=25.500.000$

after that

25.500.000*4(the months they were taking those money)=102.000.000

so we have 

126.000.000+102.000.000=228.000.000

all of the above not taking the acount of collectors edition and the extra 2 months they have at 1.4million users 

so its simple

EA made a shit ton of money and after they made their investment back and saw that the game isnt working and having in mind 35% of EA share they said you know what...not in the top 5 priorities...

They made in 4 months double the money they needed to make in a year to make a profit even if you take working cost and cost of advertising.Now even if their plan was a 2 year and not an one year plan they still made those money (but iam pretty sure they were on a one year plan)

And its obvious that they gambled on the box sales and it worked...

Also keep in mind that the game was sold more expensive outside of the US so you can add that too since 60 euro are not 60$ :P  and also the digital sales that i really dont know how much they did of that 

(KEEP IN MIND THAT I MIGHT BE TOTALLY FLAWED ON THE NUMBERS BUT ITS THE MOST OFFICIAL WE CAN GET)

EDIT:in the numbers i forgot the free month so its 25 million less BUT i didnt took in acount 2 months so i suppoce it evens up

EDIT 2 : Aslo the number i gave is half they number they were expecting to reach in a multiple year plan(500 million in the quote)So the number they wanted to see OVER MANY YEARS is 500 millions and htey managed to get half that number in 4 months.

Also i know the 1st month is free but since i dont count the 2 months after the 1.7mill subs it can balance of...

The game is a financial success...but not a success for players.

I'll just say this and then I'm done:  Anyone who actually believes this game costs anywhere close to 500 million dollars to make, even with the voice acting, is certainly not living in any sort of reality that normal, rational-thinking people do.  

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Except anyone with an ounce of deductive reasoning and who is NOT wearing a tinfoil hat can see that this is most defintely NOT a coincidence.  EA's stocks have been going down for years.  And yes, of course their stocks would show a surge just before SWTOR released, because the game had a tremendous amount of hype.  That's how it works.  Once the game failed to live up to the hype, EA's stocks continued their downward trend like they've been doing for YEARS before SWTOR got released.  

If your point was to say that SWTOR hasn't lived up to the hype, and failed to save EA's asses, then yeah, I think most reasonable people would agree with you.  But that isn't your point.  Your point was to create a fictional correlation between two things that really don't have any correlation.  Do you think that SWTOR is EA's only game?  Just a few weeks ago EA publicly said that SWTOR wasn't a very high priority for them in terms of future development.  We all got a good laugh out of that, and I'm sure you did, too.  And yet, now suddenly you'd have us believe that this game, which isn't even in EA's Top tier of games, is soley responsible for the decline of the company?  

Mods should go ahead and lock this ridiculous thread up.  There's only one reason it was started, and no good can come of it.  

Yes, I think they banked a lot of cash onto this game and because it is not delivering it is hurting them financially.  To say it isn't is just closingyour eyes and covering your ears and saying "lalalala".

As for this thread having nothing good coming from it.   Alot of good has come from it.  Just because you do not think that doesn't mean we are not learning something.    Just as a person that puts their finger in a fire is burned and it is a negative experience...they learned a positive lesson.  Don't put your finger in the fire.  image

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

next time better invest in a CGI movie

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Lukain

No MMO ever  cost 500 Million Dollars to make  , I think you have an extra 0 .. I read the budget was 50-60 Million which Is what you would expect for a Major MMO

I am not sure where you get your information,  but the initial budget that was reported was near $300m. After release, and the game doing poorly, EA/BW tried to say the costs came in at around $200m in total. Most people do think it cost closer to the $300m that was originally stated.

Yes, I think they banked a lot of cash onto this game and because it is not delivering it is hurting them finacially.  To say it isn't is just closingyour eyes and covering your ears and saying "lalalala".

As for this thread having nothing good coming from it.   Alot of good has come from it.  Just because you do not think that doesn't mean we are not learning something.    Just as a person that puts their finger in a fire is burned and it is a negative experience...they learned a positive lesson.  Don't put your finger in the fire.  image

Yeah, except your point wasn't that SWTOR not delivering has hurt them financially.  Your point was that SWTOR not delivering is the REASON why EA's stock is so low.  Two different arguments, and only one of them could be considered a rational one.  

And I'm glad you learned a positive lesson about not putting your finger in a fire, at least.  I'm assuming that's an analogy for linking financial articles without actually understanding what they mean.  

This discussion has been closed.