Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deep Crafting System

ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111

I am looking for a game with a deep crafting system, similar to Star Wars Galaxies.

Are there any MMO games currently available that really encourage playing a crafter with a vibrant in-game economy?

Comments

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

I found Mortal Online had a very deep crafting system. As for the economy it's a bit of a distaster due to the lack of any form of marketplace and low player numbers.

Fallen Earth also has a cool crafting system but it isn't near as robust.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

There were a couple of threads not long ago that had a good list of MMOs with deep crafting......Off the top of my head these were some of them:

Ryzom, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Istaria, A Tale in the desert, Eternal Lands, FFXI, and several others.......

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

The Repopulation is going to have a very SWG style crafiting system, but they are not expecting to launch until late this year. I've heard A Tale in the Desert is the best craft-centric MMO at the moment, though I have not checked it out myself. From what I understand it I very different from a traditional MMO.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Istaria. It has 19 crafting schools for bipeds (and only two for Dragons), grouped into standard (no pre-requisits), half-prestige (require a little experience) and prestige.. Player can always switch from one to another by just greetiong trainer and accepting school.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

As stated above, Mortal Online has one of the better crafting systems currently available.  It's based on combining different pieces and materials to create a wide range of items.

There are some guides that give a good idea how it works:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/weapon-crafting-and-you.58770/

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/bowcrafting-101-secrets-tips.67903/

As also previously stated, the game does not have a good set of trading tools, so the ecomony isn't the strongest.  Trade systems are supposed to be added with the upcoming Awakening expansion.  They have not announced a date that will be released, however.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• xdabearzxdabearz Member Posts: 6

Mortal Online (as everyone has said)

Fallen Earth is pretty cool, i spent most of my game leveling through crafting

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Hmm no one mentions Eve Online's crafting?  It's about as complex and deep as you can get in some areas.  There are ton of ways to get into industry and manufacture, science related aspects, and various avenues of obtaining resources.  It might take you a little while to get the skills to do something meaningful and a little start up capital.  The economy is humungous as well. 

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Worstluck

Hmm no one mentions Eve Online's crafting?  It's about as complex and deep as you can get in some areas.  There are ton of ways to get into industry and manufacture, science related aspects, and various avenues of obtaining resources.  It might take you a little while to get the skills to do something meaningful and a little start up capital.  The economy is humungous as well. 

No kidding, I'm amazed Eve wasn't the first game listed. To the OP, Eve has over 9000 different "things" that you can own, roughly half of which can ONLY be obtained by a player crafting them. If you ignore blueprint originals and skillbooks, the absolute bare bones basics needed to build or use anything and the only main things exclusively sold by NPC "stores" as it were, the percentage of items that can only be obtained by a player manufacturing them and then either using/selling them jumps over 90%.

Where's the any key?

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283
  • FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

I vote for EvE , it has them all and the best part u don't have to grind mobs to collect res , u can simply buy raw mats from market and produce higher tier product , also it is skill based so u just need to buy and train skill(s) then off u go . 

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Haven't played Eve for a while but back then its crafting sucked so bad. It was close to impossible to even just find labs or factories that still were available. At least back then it for me was the most crafting-hostile environment I've witnessed for a new player.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Saydien

Haven't played Eve for a while but back then its crafting sucked so bad. It was close to impossible to even just find labs or factories that still were available. At least back then it for me was the most crafting-hostile environment I've witnessed for a new player.

You OBVIOUSLY didn't know what you were doing then. Unless you find the difficulty of crafting all the good stuff hard and hence bad... which would be a rather wrong logic from your part.

There will never be another economy like EvE. Everyone should go and experience it at least once.

..Cake..

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183
    Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by Saydien

You OBVIOUSLY didn't know what you were doing then. Unless you find the difficulty of crafting all the good stuff hard and hence bad... which would be a rather wrong logic from your part.

There will never be another economy like EvE. Everyone should go and experience it at least once.

Doesn't this response just reiterate the crafting-hostile environment in EVE?

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• TheBigShowTheBigShow Member Posts: 4

EVE crafting is not the same as SWG crafting.

In SWG you could 'personalize' your items.  The quality of your item depending on the quality of the inputs.  My armor with good input and a skilled armorsmith was much more effective and had greater durability than did a similar suit of armor using crappy input materials and made by a less skilled armorsmith.  Unless something has changed in EVE since I left, a ship is a ship.  There are no differences in good quality raw materials and there are no differences in skill level of the crafter (with the exception of the amount of material needed which is reduced by skills and reseasrched BPs) but the output is still the same ship.  No ship with higher Armor, or better speed, or mroe firepower is possible by having a high quality raw material used during it's construction.

Also, to the comment about finding reseacrch slots.  When I played, they were virtually non-existent unless you had a private base or were out in lowsec (AKA Pirate land).  The factory slots were often available with little to no wait time though.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

EVE then TSW.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Crafting is a waste of time in any game that doesn't have item degredation/destruction or player looting.  Players just get drops off bosses or from grinding quests or whatever then they never ever need to buy crafted gear.  There is no real economy in these games, there are just gold sinks.  EVE is a great crafting game, i can't think of anything else that has worthwhile crafting.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Crafting is a waste of time in any game that doesn't have item degredation/destruction or player looting.  Players just get drops off bosses or from grinding quests or whatever then they never ever need to buy crafted gear.  There is no real economy in these games, there are just gold sinks.  EVE is a great crafting game, i can't think of anything else that has worthwhile crafting.

Its great until all the thugs in the game take all your stuff, then it isnt so great anymore.....

• joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Its great until all the thugs in the game take all your stuff, then it isnt so great anymore.....

But that's the Fun of Perma Death/equipment loss Games.

Very few peeps have the stomach for it. 

But as a crafter it's an odd feeling that your actually in high demand. 

I have a bit o Experience on this.

Played everquest, Darkfall, Haven and Hearth, Wurm, and Mortal online(though it was buggy all to hell)

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I've been having a lot of fun with Ryzom's crafting system. Eve Online and Vanguard probably have the deepest I've used, however.

<3

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by TheBigShow

EVE crafting is not the same as SWG crafting.

In SWG you could 'personalize' your items.  The quality of your item depending on the quality of the inputs.  My armor with good input and a skilled armorsmith was much more effective and had greater durability than did a similar suit of armor using crappy input materials and made by a less skilled armorsmith.  Unless something has changed in EVE since I left, a ship is a ship.  There are no differences in good quality raw materials and there are no differences in skill level of the crafter (with the exception of the amount of material needed which is reduced by skills and reseasrched BPs) but the output is still the same ship.  No ship with higher Armor, or better speed, or mroe firepower is possible by having a high quality raw material used during it's construction.

Also, to the comment about finding reseacrch slots.  When I played, they were virtually non-existent unless you had a private base or were out in lowsec (AKA Pirate land).  The factory slots were often available with little to no wait time though.

Damn shame that no other games take SWG crafting system as their role model.

Seriously seem like best crafting system ever.