Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will I do after two months?

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Kanubis
    Originally posted by coretex666

I kind of understand your position.

Once I hit level cap, I will most likely be done with PVE due to the fact that chasing cosmetic rewards simply is not attractive for me. It has never been.

To be honest, I also cant imagine having this game as my main MMO which is not fault of the game. It is more about the type of gamer I am.

Would you say that then that if GW2 had a sub fee you probably wouldn't bother, but because you don't need to sub you think you will get adequat value for money for the initial purchase to make it worth playing until you get bored?

I'm just interested in how many people they're getting due to not having a subscription.

Lack of monthly sub was the main factor of me pre-purchasing the game.  It doesnt matter how long I enjoy the game or if I eventually get bored because I can always come back and play it whenever I want.  To me, the PVE content looks fun.  Its one of the first MMOs where I feel anxious to see whats behind that rock, whats in that cave under water.  Add in the "fun" combat and Im no longer thinking about how long I plan to play because Im too busy doing it.

Many of you talk to much about playing a game rather than actually doing it.  Whats the point?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

All there is to do in GW2 is PvP which is fine if you are making upgraded GW1 but I see it now even all their talk of making GW2 a MMO it isn't not it is just a PvP game. A great PvP game but a shell of a MMO. It just saddens me that none of these developers are no longer making MMOs and us gamers sit back and just take it. I don't care if they make the games but if it isn't a MMO don't call it a MMO.

So now its not even an MMO?? This thread is like fine wine, it gets better with time.

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by cooper85

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game. My skeptcism stems from playing the competition.  I just don't know if the high fantasy setting could draw me. It may even be a turn off. It's been beat to death.  

Let's say I make it past the high fantasy setting, because it's done so well, so now I'm leveling. There I run into another turn off.  Going from 1-80 just seems pointless. I hate leveling. Eight toons in WoW (high fantasy) Three toons in RIFT (high fantasy), one toon in swtor.  I'm sick of it.

Let's say I make it past the setting and the standard leveling, again because setting is  done so well plus I can level while pvping. 2 Weeks later I'm at cap. I continue to run battle grounds and WvWvW, much like I have been for the past two weeks. I'm having a good time.

One month rolls by since I've been at cap. Wtf am I supposed to do now. I've ran a couple hundred battle groumds, and spent 40 hours in WvWvW. i'm now asking myself "Are you getting bored."" As soon as that happens it's all down hill from there. 

I'm not the type to be filling hearts and chasing DEs. I'm not really the questing type, plus I wouldn't be rewarded with anything meaningful for rerunning DEs. No gear, no AA, just pets and cosmetic gear. 

I just don't see how this game could be fun (that's what it's about, not progression) for longer than two months tops. 

Two months, ha, that is stretching it... I already been playing beta off and on for a while now...The game will last about as long as SWTOR did...nuff said.  It's boring and repetative in my opinion...nothing new...

Good thing you dont speak for the rest of us.  Good luck in finding something that can impress you.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

All there is to do in GW2 is PvP which is fine if you are making upgraded GW1 but I see it now even all their talk of making GW2 a MMO it isn't not it is just a PvP game. A great PvP game but a shell of a MMO. It just saddens me that none of these developers are no longer making MMOs and us gamers sit back and just take it. I don't care if they make the games but if it isn't a MMO don't call it a MMO.

So they took out crafting, exploring, all the puzzles, hundreds of DEs and heart quests, skill challenges, world bosses, the entire personal story system, all since the last time I looked?

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game. My skeptcism stems from playing the competition.  I just don't know if the high fantasy setting could draw me. It may even be a turn off. It's been beat to death.  

Let's say I make it past the high fantasy setting, because it's done so well, so now I'm leveling. There I run into another turn off.  Going from 1-80 just seems pointless. I hate leveling. Eight toons in WoW (high fantasy) Three toons in RIFT (high fantasy), one toon in swtor.  I'm sick of it.

Let's say I make it past the setting and the standard leveling, again because setting is  done so well plus I can level while pvping. 2 Weeks later I'm at cap. I continue to run battle grounds and WvWvW, much like I have been for the past two weeks. I'm having a good time.

One month rolls by since I've been at cap. Wtf am I supposed to do now. I've ran a couple hundred battle groumds, and spent 40 hours in WvWvW. i'm now asking myself "Are you getting bored."" As soon as that happens it's all down hill from there. 

I'm not the type to be filling hearts and chasing DEs. I'm not really the questing type, plus I wouldn't be rewarded with anything meaningful for rerunning DEs. No gear, no AA, just pets and cosmetic gear. 

I just don't see how this game could be fun (that's what it's about, not progression) for longer than two months tops. 

Thats because your burned out, its not the game, its you.

I'm not burned out. I love mmorpgs. I am burnt out of the same old same, or the norm. The things I listed are more or less the norm.  

Its very easy to generalize any game as the same.  GW2 is obviously going to share mechanics with other MMORPGs because its a MMORPG.  But GW2 is different from whats out there, outside if you like it or not.  Its a delicate balance to change a concept without changing its identity.

What you listed will always be the 'norm' in your terminology because you listed what makes a RPG.

A better question is understanding what MMORPG you DO like to get a better idea of what 'lists' interest you.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

This thread again?

Bottom line, if you are bored after two months then just stop playing. Nothing wrong with that.

Before I answer OP's question of what he should do two months later, is there anything else you need us to tell you? how to spec, what to eat, how to dress, etc? anything esle you cant figure out, so we can get it all answered at once?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

So refreshing to see you posting, again, about a game that you haven't played and know very little about.

If you're worried about content in MMOs, you should really look closer to home, because this issue of what to do after 2 months is much more pressing when you're paying a sub and have run out of things to do other than pvp or do repeatable quests.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by Channce
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

This thread again?

Bottom line, if you are bored after two months then just stop playing. Nothing wrong with that.

Before I answer OP's question of what he should do two months later, is there anything else you need us to tell you? how to spec, what to eat, how to dress, etc? anything esle you cant figure out, so we can get it all answered at once?

So I see that you have an issue with me suggesting not playing a game that you don't like or are bored with? Really? Well I suppose if you like to bang your head against the wall time and again then carry on.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Kuppa

So now its not even an MMO?? This thread is like fine wine, it gets better with time.

Lol Thor, that's just... kind of laughable, i mean GW2 is one of the better MMORPGs we've seen in awhile, it encourages grou..... ah hell skrew it, if you don't see it by now i don't think you will.

And you're dam right ima just sit back and take GW2 how it is. MMO or not, i will take it like a man.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Scripture1
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Quit MMO's, GW2 has more to offer then any other MMO, if thats not enough for you to not get bored, you really should try some other games or even try real life.

Or just enjoy the 2 months and move on, with the knowledge that whenever you want you can return to GW2 because there is no sub.

I couldn't have said it better...

He, probably, won't listen to You and , i wish, thats gonna make him leaving TSW afetr 2 months and opening his wallet 4 months later just to check if there are any changes :)

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

GW2 will be no different than any other mmo out there now.

All we got now is are fabricated themepark mmo's with levels 1 to ? with end game content to get gear, weapons and mounts.

We truly live in a box when it comes to mmo's now. 

If you wan't a true mmorpg, you gotta go back to the classics.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

>>I'm just interested in how many people they're getting due to not having a subscription.<<

Well, I am certainly one of them. I would never buy GW2 if it had a subscription. That's the reason I will not play TSW, even though I like the idea - I'm through with pay-to-play model. I want to play a game, any game, slowly, whenever I have time; may be 3 hours a sunday, an hour tuesday, then I'm too busy for playing and will skip a week or two... And then I'll have free time, will involve myself more into the game, spend a month working hard in a guild or something like that, and then get back to my leisurely casual style.

Subscription model doesn't allow this, at least to me. Plus, subscription model forces game designers into disgusting decisions in game design. No; I'm definitely through with P2P.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by terrant
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Thats because your burned out, its not the game, its you.

I'm not burned out. I love mmorpgs. I am burnt out of the same old same, or the norm. The things I listed are more or less the norm.  

With respect, I have to agree a little with Adalwulff. Fantasy is pretty much a staple of RPGs. I won't call this game high fantasy, because it doesn't quite make the definition. Steampunk/fantasy is the closest it gets. Anyway, being tired of fantasy immediately eliminates about 80% of MMOs or more right off the bat.

Assuming you get past that...levelling? Character progression is pretty much THE staple of an RPG. Rather than say you don't want that, I'm curious to see what alternative you want.

As to the "what happens at 2 months" bit...well I won't lie and say that concern hasn't crossed my mind as well. If collecting cosmetic items, exploring areas you haven't been to yet, and wvw doesn't keep your interest, all you can hope for is that Anet will continue to add new content. The good news is that ALL content is meaningful for a level 80, thanks to scaling. But then, you don't like questing, ANOTHER RPG/MMO staple. So...wondering what you DO want from a game? And please, don't just say "something different". I get that. But I honestly would like to know, just because I'm always interested in hearing new ideas, what you are looking for in an MMO that you aren't finding here or elsewhere. 

Except he doesn't seem to be interested in the actual gameplay of the main content: the events, or the "leveling content."  He simultaneously gripes about a lack of progression and complains when he is stuck playing through content with the sole motivation of progressing, or leveling.  The fallacy there is that in GW2 more than any other MMO, you should never play a particular part of the game solely for the purpose of attaining levels.  The events, the personal story, the PvP are the game; they're not boring means to an eventual end.  If the OP doesn't find those aspects of the game enjoyable in their own right, if he doesn't enjoy progressing and leveling several characters--leveling professions, increasing glory rank, pursuing dungeon gear sets--then the game truly won't be for him.  If he can only get 2 months of enjoymenet out of it, then that's what he gets, (which would still arguably be worth it for just the $60 box price.)

In general, I have a problem when people angrily retaliate with "well then this game is not for you; go play something else."  I've been issued the same response pertaining to GW2 when I've expressed my doubts about the game's theoretical lack of progression in past threads, despite my relative certainty that so much of the game is very much "for me."  But in this case, it seems the only appropriate response. 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Why are people making this game to be something more than it is?  It is a themepark MMO.    It'll be just like the rest of the lot and be all the rage for a couple of months and then we'll start seeing the..."What do I do now?", "I've done all there is to do, what now?,  "Where is the content?", "Maxed level and bored?"  - seriously...this is what will happen.   We've seen this song and dance so many times it has become predictable.  

There is nothing in GW2 that is sustainable in the form of game play.    Sustainable game play is a must for an MMO to succeed these days.    The fact that these game developers of MMO's these days refuse to embrace anything remotely related to a persistent type world game play boggles the mind.    They load up their games with cheap, one-off game play elements, call it content, and then wonder why their game is dying two and three months down the road.    GW2 will be no different.   TSW will be no different.   TERA will be no different.

Until these games get back to their roots and start giving MMO players persistent game worlds that are more than cheap one-shot thrill rides on a roller coasters to nowhere - they'll never be as successful as they'd like them to be. 

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

If you only get 2 months of enjoyment and play an average of 2 hours a day, that's 120 hours of entertainment or $0.50 an hour. Pretty good deal.

However I challenge you to just play the game. Don't be a completionist, don't play connect the dots with the hearts. Do what you like, hang out in the world and in towns, etc. When something stops being fun, stop doing it and do something else in the game.

Hell, there are going to be 10+ minigames. You can just veg out and play that.

There is NO PRESSURE to try to get your subscription dollar's worth. Have fun at your own pace and play what you like. When you feel tired, put it down until you get an itch again. We'll be in game when you come back ^_^

Originally posted by Teala

Why are people making this game to be something more than it is?  It is a themepark MMO.    It'll be just like the rest of the lot and be all the rage for a couple of months and then we'll start seeing the..."What do I do now?", "I've done all there is to do, what now?,  "Where is the content?", "Maxed level and bored?"  - seriously...this is what will happen.   We've seen this song and dance so many times it has become predictable.  

There is nothing in GW2 that is sustainable in the form of game play.    Sustainable game play is a must for an MMO to succeed these days.    The fact that these game developers of MMO's these days refuse to embrace anything remotely related to a persistent type world game play boggles the mind.    They load up their games with cheap, one-off game play elements, call it content, and then wonder why their game is dying two and three months down the road.    GW2 will be no different.   TSW will be no different.   TERA will be no different.

Until these games get back to their roots and start giving MMO players persistent game worlds that are more than cheap one-shot thrill rides on a roller coasters to nowhere - they'll never be as successful as they'd like them to be. 

I think part of the genius behind GW2 is that no content is really made pointless by level progression. At no point will you simply faceroll content. Yes, it will be easier as you gain more skills and become more adept at your class, but you will always be challenged.

What do you do when you reach max level in GW2? You can do the content you enjoyed in PvE with out it becoming a snoozefest.

What do you do when you're done with everything you want to do in PvE? You can join WvW and take on enemy servers.

How about when you get tired of doing WvW after a few months? Go play sPvP if that's your thing.

How about when you don't really want to do any of that? Play some minigames; GW2 has that too.

Again, play while it's fun. If something isn't fun, play a different part of GW2. If you have somehow annhilated all the content you care to complete, it's OK to play other games. Again, we'll be in game when you comback for DLC or content updates.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

The secret to your unhappiness and doubt is contained within the words of your post itself.

Instead of asking if GW2 is going to make you happy, why not truly identify what it is that would make you happy in ANY game.

That would be your start.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Terrorizor

[mod edit] 

Meh.

I actually agree with her/him.  Teala may have been brutally blunt, but was more, as opposed to less, astute in the assessment of what needs to happen for a true change . . . . and positive evolution . . . of the genre.

That doesn't mean Teala, or you, or I won't have fun in some games until then.  Teala's point is that period of fun / satisfaction has become very proscribed and short term, because that's how the games are fundamentally structured.

Rift sure proved that (to me).

Wherever you go, there you are.

[mod edit]
  • TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326
    [mod edit]
  • Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174

I kind of understand your position.

Once I hit level cap, I will most likely be done with PVE due to the fact that chasing cosmetic rewards simply is not attractive for me. It has never been.

And yet you play Diablo 3, which is basically the entire point of the game.

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

Before making topics like this do some research then come to forum ask some valid questions other wise i would strongly advice quit mmo's its not your cup of tea anymore.

On short note GW2 is totally different kind of game then WoW(research remember:P) but in fantasy settings yes if you dont like that dont buy the game seems all so simple hey?

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

You seem angry with all mmorpgs in general also used to feel like you until play GW2, is definitely different than any mmorpg that has played before it s themepark but have some sandbox features, and yes i have played tsw (BWE) and tera (BWE). Just curious you already played Guild Wars 2?

Originally posted by escarreta

You seem angry with all mmorpgs in general also used to feel like you until play GW2, is definitely different than any mmorpg that has played before it s themepark but have some sandbox features, and yes i have played tsw (BWE) and tera (BWE). Just curious you already played Guild Wars 2?

So about these sandbox features...can you list them so I know what ones you are talking about?

Oh and I am not angry.  What you think of as being anger is disappointment and frustration - that is all it is. 

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

Why you people come here if you don't like GW2 in first place ?

Don't buy if you don't like nobody forcing you to follow this game or buy it.

And i also have a strong feeling most of you who don't believe or hate GW2 have not played 1 minute of the game so your opinions don't matter at all.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by iFeelTremors
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by iFeelTremors

If You are a PvE Player You shouldn't be even interrested in GW2.

I've read some weird stuff on these forums, but this deserves a special mention at least. Most stupid thing I've read in ages.

Not really dude. By saying this i meant that this game's "endgame" is pvp. PvE is just a journey to 80 and then PvE'er will complain on these forums he has nothing to do anymore (at least till they add more pve content) beside rolling an alt. There is no raids and no gear-grind and it seems that both would suit OP needs more than what is in GW2.

So the game is like Quake 3 Arena in fantasy setting

Pretty much, except on a massive scale with castle sieging.