Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you actually like your current mmorpg or are you just addicted?

My biggest problem with the MMORPG genre is that game developers use all sorts of psychological tactics to try to get people to play their games as long as possible.  This can be in the form of grinding out levels, grinding out instanced pvp games, or raiding for that next purply epic among others.  There is always a carrot and when they run out of carrots, people seem to quit.  If the game is fun, then why quit in the absense of carrots?  And why do you even want a carrot in the first place?  I remember starting out in WoW and grinding toward max level so that I wouldn't have to level anymore and could have fun just killing people.  Then they added crazy gear progression every which way. 

A lot of gamers seem addicted to the idea of progression and will do all sorts of boring things in order to just get a little more powerful.  But the real question is:  Is this game I am playing fun?  And if it isn't fun, why am I playing it?

I've come up with a single question that will determine whether you actually enjoy your current mmorpg or if you are being manipulated to perform tasks for treats.

If your current mmorpg did not have any form of character progression, would you still find it fun?

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Comments

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Not currently playing one. 

But of the ones I used to play: Yes, some higher end goal was the only reason I continued to play (epic shinies, making 1bil isk within a month, titles, killing LK, etc. etc.)

I say "continued to play" because what intially hooks me is usually the class system, and finding the class that's right for me.  I end up staying for the goals!

PS: Fish biscuits?!

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

My "current" MMORPG hasn't been released yet, won't be released until it's ready, and yes I find it both addictive and fun. There's no character progression in the form of an ever increasing power curve, but there is progression on a more cosmetic sense, gaining dungeon specific armor sets that will be quite challenging to acquire. There's exploration progression, crafting progression (can max out all eight lines), massive amounts of PvP...

Keep your carrots. I have a big bowl of raw meat here to fry up on the grill.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Character progression is the reason I got into this genre in the first place. Advancing in levels and skills... aquiring items and weath...gives reason to playing in a persistant game world. Why remove that?

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I play in other peoples' worlds because no matter what wild fantasies and mathematical models fly through my head,  in the end a team of well-organized professionals can still do a better job at making these than I alone can.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I currently play Eve, DCUO and beta TSW.

I don't actively try to get the "best" gear in any of these games.

I enjoy the lore and themes and settings in each.

For me, if a game becomes more like a second job, I consider quitting.

I play to have fun.

In Eve: I enjoy exploration, lite mining, hauling and mission running.

In DC: I enjoy the setting and the shape my character takes on.

In TSW: I enjoy the puzzles, exploration and lore.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

I play Ultima Online still(not EA's trash servers). The game is a living breathing world. There are no carrots... but they do give you lots of dirt and seeds and let you make your own. UO is a fun game, and the magic happens in the social interactions.

I've been here a while...
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by Edeus

Not currently playing one. 

But of the ones I used to play: Yes, some higher end goal was the only reason I continued to play (epic shinies, making 1bil isk within a month, titles, killing LK, etc. etc.)

I say "continued to play" because what intially hooks me is usually the class system, and finding the class that's right for me.  I end up staying for the goals!

PS: Fish biscuits?!

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fish_biscuit

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

that is most of games really, why you still play soccer at the wekkends? because its with your friends, if your friends stop you stop too, MMO push this because if we only play for the grind we would stop on first dead, because we would question what is the point?

main reason I stoped playing aion now is guild is dead, other reason its f2p now, plus after 2 years doing the same thing day after day and since I don't have to play I can log one time a week or month and nothing will change, and that is just because I bought a house in game and need to log on that time to pay for the rent and maybe some farm to keep money for the house,

right now depending on how things go I will play TSW till GW2 hit, because TSW I can see it survive enough till you do all quests, after that will not see much of a reason to keep playing

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Character progression is the reason I got into this genre in the first place. Advancing in levels and skills... acquiring items and wealth...gives reason to playing in a persistent game world. Why remove that?

My thought as well- while I prefer that progression is in the form of something more than just gear and stats I can't see why I would choose this genre- story and combat are often better in single player games and PvP is better in MOBAs and FPSs.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by pierth

Character progression is the reason I got into this genre in the first place. Advancing in levels and skills... acquiring items and wealth...gives reason to playing in a persistent game world. Why remove that?

My thought as well- while I prefer that progression is in the form of something more than just gear and stats I can't see why I would choose this genre- story and combat are often better in single player games and PvP is better in MOBAs and FPSs.

Thirded. Regardless of boohooing over how MMOs are "supposed to be" virtual fantasy world simulators, character progression in a populated persistent world has been a main feature of the genre dating all the way back to DikuMUDs. Of course it would suffer if you took that away. It really would be no different than saying that you're "addicted" to the story element of Max Payne if you stop playing as soon as you get to the end of the story, and would not bother playing the game if the story was removed.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I like them and im somewhat addicted.

I love progressing characters through leveling content.

I'll do it over and over I find it to be so much fun.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Character progression is the reason I got into this genre in the first place. Advancing in levels and skills... aquiring items and weath...gives reason to playing in a persistant game world. Why remove that?

this.

Addiction is an negative excuse used by many people to ridicule others that enjoy stuff that they dont.

"its all in your head" -Mmoexposed

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FalconiumFalconium Member Posts: 20

Considering I am 100% maxed out in my current MMORPG (Achievements, all equips, all classes, maxed out completely), yet I still find it fun, yes.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

My biggest problem with the MMORPG genre is that game developers use all sorts of psychological tactics to try to get people to play their games as long as possible.  This can be in the form of grinding out levels, grinding out instanced pvp games, or raiding for that next purply epic among others.  There is always a carrot and when they run out of carrots, people seem to quit.  If the game is fun, then why quit in the absense of carrots?  And why do you even want a carrot in the first place?  I remember starting out in WoW and grinding toward max level so that I wouldn't have to level anymore and could have fun just killing people.  Then they added crazy gear progression every which way. 

A lot of gamers seem addicted to the idea of progression and will do all sorts of boring things in order to just get a little more powerful.  But the real question is:  Is this game I am playing fun?  And if it isn't fun, why am I playing it?

I've come up with a single question that will determine whether you actually enjoy your current mmorpg or if you are being manipulated to perform tasks for treats.

If your current mmorpg did not have any form of character progression, would you still find it fun?

It's a loaded question....considering modern MMORPGs (specifically...the father of them, WOW) ARE exclusively about character progression.

In a sandbox environment, character progression can mean any number of things.  In modern themepark style MMOs, your primary function is to upgrade your gear.  Upgrading your gear (character progression) means you get to tackle harder content....which drops better gear....which allows you to tackle harder content....which drops better gear...

A more appropriate question might read "Are you treading water (going through the motions) in your current MMO, while waiting for something new?"

This is the space I've spent WAY too much time in, while waiting for something new that could give me that same feeling I had when I started the game I'm currently playing.  For each MMO that I've played longer than a year.....I always stayed 6+ months longer than I probably needed to because there just wasn't anything better available.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Character progression is a basic tenant of the MMORPG genre, otherwise you're playing some other type of game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

I play multiple games so not really addicted to any. Used to be "addicted" to aion, but I glad I finally broke free from it. I originally got into MMORPG for their longevity as compared to other genre but given the path that WOW and it's clones were heading, I decided to move back to playing just for fun.

I asked myself what was the point of all those years of character "progression" what did I get from it and all I got was nothing.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I have been playing mmorpg's for about 13 years,now I'm getting tired of those games,early this year I did decide to give 3 more games a change before I took a major brake from mmo's,those 3 games are GW2, EQ3 and one other that I dont know what it is yet.

Vile having had lots of fun in the past years playing mmo's this is changing for me now I'm not enjoing those games much anymore,offline games like Skyrim and Fallout keep me playing for longer houres than resent mmo's does.

What is the reason why the games dont get a grip on me anymore is probsbly I'm getting burnedout since the games must be getting better and better all the time with new technic and stuff,or maybe they are not getting any better  I dont know:-(

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Vidir

I have been playing mmorpg's for about 13 years,now I'm getting tired of those games,early this year I did decide to give 3 more games a change before I took a major brake from mmo's,those 3 games are GW2, EQ3 and one other that I dont know what it is yet.

Vile having had lots of fun in the past years playing mmo's this is changing for me now I'm not enjoing those games much anymore,offline games like Skyrim and Fallout keep me playing for longer houres than resent mmo's does.

What is the reason why the games dont get a grip on me anymore is probsbly I'm getting burnedout since the games must be getting better and better all the time with new technic and stuff,or maybe they are not getting any better  I dont know:-(

I left for SP games back around mid 06. I understand where you are coming from.

Without the follow up to the KOTOR series being in MMO form, I was done with them myself. More so for the fact you cant make a bathroom run when ya want, and if ya happen to fall asleep from a vico too many that day, you arent paying a price....or worse someone else on your account.

I do agree that SP games are a lot better time than MMOs for gameplay by itself. MMOs shine if ya have a few good friends. The trick is meeting folks with same mind sets these days, as back in 01(or before for some) most of us had a bit of a nerd side.

Side note....Dragons Dogma wasnt seeming like a bad SP game. I havent gotten very far, but it might be worth a rental for ya. Although I bought it, I would never recommend a purchase until actually playing thru a game.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

If your current mmorpg did not have any form of character progression, would you still find it fun? ...

If my current MMORPG didn't have any form of character progression it wouldn't be an MMORPG but an MMO-something and I wouldn't play it.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i dont play games idont enjoy, eg, that question is redundant :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

While I realize that "Gear Progression" has become an evil idea as of late, I find it to be very rewarding particularly when I can see a difference in survivability, DPS, healing, or whatever. 

Sure, it's a carrot on a stick and I realize that game companies are using color coded items and stats to keep me playing but I've always enjoyed the process of making my characters more effective at what they do through stats and mitigation and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I think that's why I will never be sold on GW2 as a long term game for me, I know my skills are on par with the next guy which is why I play hard to one up them with gear and item enhancements.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

"Do you actually like your current mmorpg or are you just addicted?" and "If your current mmorpg did not have any form of character progression, would you still find it fun?" really are two very, very different questions.

There have been times when I have been guilty of sticking with an MMO out of habit/addiction/whatnot rather than because I was genuinely enjoying myself. But I can't say that "character progression" was particularly implicated. I just fired up the game and logged in because that's what I did in my leisure time. I wasn't doing something un-fun for progression.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I never play games that are not fun to me, so the question is moot. No gear grind or grindy "progression" can make a game fun.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

OP

Yes, both games I'm playing GW and Champions Online I actually enjoy playing compared to some that I had to drag myself over to the computer to to log on and play.

Champions Online is quite a surprise to me, very impressed.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I like progression, like to aquire new skills, increase stats, etc 

Don't like linearity though. Same don't like small zoned worlds with open world used only to provide quests & mobs.  Don't feel like game world then. Phasing sucks as well.

Don't like grinding for some medallions to exchange for armor from some NPC.  

I would be very much ok with hunting some rare monsters to get ingrindient for some player-crafter that would make an armor from it for me. 

Anyway - yeah I like progression.  

Don't like structured and railed way progression is done in current mmorpg's though.

Currently there is big problem with CS / other rtm like RMAH getting into progression / altering it with microtransaction. One of reasons I don't play mmorpg atm.

When I don't feel like it - I fire up RTS or FPS game without grind or with small grind (like BF3) opposed to in. example Tribes which is big grind (or pay $ in CS) to get best toys.

I very much doubt I would enjoy progression free mmorpg like quake, UT or some rts.

If there are people that want this kind of game, then they should have it- I will pass though.

============

@Op

If you don't like progression - then just don't play games that have it. Seriously don't understand you starting to play game like this and then compaining it does have it...