Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Rift beat SWTOR

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Trion created an endgame that wouldn't be completely devoured in two weeks.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Z3R01

well seen has your a SWTOR  fan..perhaps you would enlighten everyone has to what SWTOR  has to offer at endgame..being that there is nothing heroic about 20+ peeps bashing one mob?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by kevjards

well seen has your a SWTOR  fan..perhaps you would enlighten everyone has to what SWTOR  has to offer at endgame..being that there is nothing heroic about 20+ peeps bashing one mob?

It offers much, much less than RIFT and yes it is heroic to take down hard bosses with 20 players.

Its called endgame raiding and its the endgame of choice for the majority of the MMO market.

SWTOR releasing with two raids and failing proves this.

Edit: Don't get all frazzled because im pointing out the obvious. SWTOR is a failed game because it lacks a legit endgame.

You don't see Trion PR saying RIFT didnt catch on and they will be moving their focus away from it did you? EA certainly did that and we all read it!!!!!

TRION releases new content all the time, Even after they reduced servers by 50% they still gave their dedicated players content and events. What is EA doing? Running for the hills! This my friends is a fact.

It offers much, much less than RIFT and yes it is heroic to take down hard bosses with 20 players.

Its called endgame raiding and its the endgame of choice for the majority of the MMO market.

personally i have always found trion exceptionally quick at adding content compared to most other companies..but i would say that both games fell short at release..swtor for lack of content and pollish,and rift for lack ofcontent,but i think that is down to the mentality of the player who has no patience and wants everything now if you know what i mean..they rush to get everything done then complain there is nothing to do.

p.s i aint getting frazzled lol.

personally i have always found trion exceptionally quick at adding content compared to most other companies..but i would say that both games fell short at release..swtor for lack of content and pollish,and rift for lack ofcontent,but i think that is down to the mentality of the player who has no patience and wants everything now if you know what i mean..they rush to get everything done then complain there is nothing to do.

This is why its important to release a game when its done. In the MMO market you will be competeing with games that have 5+ years of endgame content and polish. 

I know it isnt fair to expect a new game to have that much content at launch but the harsh reality is that it matters and players will leave your game if you dont offer as much as their old game.

I never said Rift was a success, I only pointed out that its doing better and the only reason its doing better is due to its endgame.

Believe me I know it has problems, Rift is anything but perfect.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

This is true, thing is that Trion has done an extremely good job for RIFT content-wise since launch while TOR has pretty much just been under one band-aid after another. It's obvious that Trion has a clear direction in mind as to where they're taking RIFT, confirmed by the upcoming paid expansion. Not sure if I can say the same for Bioware.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

[mod edit]

Besides, 6Month into after the release, Rift still was not any different than SWTOR. T3 is T3 on both. Let's not forget the pathetic bugged Greenscale boss fights which gave initially free gear for everyone 3 DAYS AFTER LAUNCH. Then it was way to hard for the undergeared people after they fixed a few core mechanics in damage calculations and how stats work. Then also the bad drop itemization which left certain classes out on tanking properly. Overpowered Bard & chloro healers which made damage encounters a joke had their share too.

And after even a Year it's still a boring gear grind. Rift still lacks advancement systems for people outside the Tier Raid mentality. All those little sidetracks they added mean still nothing.

Rift didn't beat SWTOR, both are still shallow Tier geargrind Themeparks.

It took less than a week to free farm greenscale, it took lees than 3 days to clear the second raid, and let's not forget the bugged Hammersh* i don't deem worthy to renember the name properly. Maybe rifts "endgame" wouldn't have been as bad as swtors if they wouldn't had such extreme class balance issues which made the Raids free loot or impossible depending on your class stacking.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Sorry to cherry-pick, but this is mistaking correlation with causation. Most people who quit ToR never got to endgame, indeed many never progressed beyond level 30. ToR's problems are much deeper than lack of endgame.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I know it isnt fair to expect a new game to have that much content at launch but the harsh reality is that it matters and players will leave your game if you dont offer as much as their old game.

That's such an unrealistic expectation for a game. There comes a point where keeping it on the back burner is counter productive to profits.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by skydiver12

You sure do have an agenda, posting your praise and missinformation in swtor threads 

I have no idea what you're talking about. Honestly I really don't visit the SWTOR forums often.

I posted this because for 6 months when I played RIFT all of the SWTOR fanboys derailed my RIFT threads with "THis game will die once SWTOR releases" 

Well guess what, Rift is still here and unlike SWTOR its developers arent "moving on"

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Rift beat SWTOR by being PROFITABLE 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Trion continue to develop rift faster and harder than any other company in the industry (afaik) I dont play rift but by god do those boys and girls know how to churn out the patches.

It is clear SWTOR had 0 game plan after launch either that or coding it took monstrously too long.

Originally posted by Nitth

That's such an unrealistic expectation for a game. There comes a point where keeping it on the back burner is counter productive to profits.

They need to focus on endgame.

I know it isnt fair but if they are going to survive they need to look at something like WoW and compete with its features.

WoW Endgame has 6+ raids, 14+ dungeons, 10 classes, 10+ crafts, 3-4 unique leveling paths for each faction.

^ that should be your goal to equal that, if you dont you go from 200 servers to 30.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Z3R01 I know it isnt fair to expect a new game to have that much content at launch but the harsh reality is that it matters and players will leave your game if you dont offer as much as their old game.

I know it isnt fair but if they are going to survive they need to look at something like WoW and compete with its features.

WoW has 6+ raids, 14+ dungeons, 10 classes, 10+ crafts, 3-4 unique leveling paths for each faction.

^ that should be your goal to equal that, if you dont you go from 200 servers to 30.

nah..Like the other guy said swtor's problems go way beyond endgame...

What does swtor have? 2 raids 7 heroic dungeons? its not bad in comparison, WoW you farm the same shit over and over again, swtor you do the same thing just with abit less diversity.

I mean lets not kid yourselves here, These raids and instances are designed to be easily farmed.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Z3R01 I know it isnt fair to expect a new game to have that much content at launch but the harsh reality is that it matters and players will leave your game if you dont offer as much as their old game.

WoW has 6+ raids, 14+ dungeons, 10 classes, 10+ crafts, 3-4 unique leveling paths for each faction.

nah..Like the other guy said swtor's problems go way beyond endgame...

What does swtor have? 2 raids 7 heroic dungeons? its not bad in comparison, WoW you farm the same shit over and over again, swtor you do the same thing just with abit less diversity.

The major complaint as a pve player was leveling speed. People QQ on the forums that the questing felt "grindy". 

Honestly I had no problem with the leveling. It was the fact that my entire 30+ player guild that came from other games left after beating all the raid crap in two weeks.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

The problem with RIFT is it NEEDS to develop "content" faster because its leveling path is so shallow & everyone is shuffled to the endgame currency grind so quickly. Then their endgame consists of basically gearing up (ie grinding) by doing the same areas OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

This is why rift gives that hollow feelilng when you play it because its basically a streamlined skinner box.. I'm not saying SWTOR is any better though and beating SWTOR isn't really anything to brag about.

Originally posted by Leethe

Sorry to cherry-pick, but this is mistaking correlation with causation. Most people who quit ToR never got to endgame, indeed many never progressed beyond level 30. ToR's problems are much deeper than lack of endgame.

i have to agree with this..i took a marauder to lvl 33 and a guardian to 34 and itwas all i could take...there were certain aspects of the game i really liked,but the one i hated most was all the instancing..i could'nt get a group to to any group content on my server right the way through..the best i got was a 2 man instance and that was it.real shame .the game had and still has potential.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by skydiver12

You sure do have an agenda, posting your praise and missinformation in swtor threads 

I have no idea what you're talking about. Honestly I really don't visit the SWTOR forums often.

I posted this because for 6 months when I played RIFT all of the SWTOR fanboys derailed my RIFT threads with "THis game will die once SWTOR releases" 

Well guess what, Rift is still here and unlike SWTOR its developers arent "moving on"

Funny though how you ignore the rest of he's valid post though isn't?

At the end of the day you like RIFT and you like TRION, we get it.  You don't like SWTOR, fine.  The thing is it really doesn't matter how many of you post dribble about how dead SWTOR is, it's still here, people are still enjoying it and I'd wager it has more active subs then your precious RIFT.   

Sit in a corner and pretend it's dead if it makes you feel better, but please don't subject as all to yet another brain fart on how the games crap, bad for the industry, got no subs blah,blah.

Never have I seen so many people waste so much time prattling on about something they don't like...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

duno whys you come up with sucvh a thread, at least ToR was a game i bought *G*

imo rift didnt beat anything here.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Edit: Don't get all frazzled because im pointing out the obvious. SWTOR is a failed game because it lacks a legit endgame.

You don't see Trion PR saying RIFT didnt catch on and they will be moving their focus away from it did you? EA certainly did that and we all read it!!!!!

TRION releases new content all the time, Even after they reduced servers by 50% they still gave their dedicated players content and events. What is EA doing? Running for the hills! This my friends is a fact.

Really.... then how is it that when surveys were actually conducted thye find out that this was in fact the minority in WoW?  Raiders are the vocal and the minority as the majority of MMOers don't have the time, intrest, or committment to a stregous raiding committment.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Played both and I actually liked SWTOR more despite all of it's problems. Neither of them didn't last more than a couple of months for me though.

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

I dont play Rift but um, hello, swtor 4 man content?
    and heroic modes?
    never did a normal in my breif swtor life. Heroic my ass...

• azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Rift beat SWTOR by not going free to play after a few months

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/15/bioware-looking-at-free-to-play-for-the-old-republic

and yes i'm going to post that link everywhere I can so ppl that say SWTOR is not fail because of no F2P...... well it's not F2P yet but it's going there

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I'm still amazed each time I see another of those posts from people who can't figure out any high level / end game gameplay which doesn't involve grinding raids in a MMORPG.

"Don't restrict what is possible to the limits of your own imagination" - Le Cycle de Cyan tome 2 - Six Seasons on Ilo.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Trion continue to develop rift faster and harder than any other company in the industry (afaik) I dont play rift but by god do those boys and girls know how to churn out the patches.

It is clear SWTOR had 0 game plan after launch either that or coding it took monstrously too long.

Didn't EA/Biowaste have like a years worth of patches (content) already developed for SWTOR at release.

Thought I remember reading it.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I think SWTOR beat itself.

The immersion was ruined for me when I spent five minutes beating on one guy with my lightsaber that is depicted as being capable of cutting through a 4-foot-thick steel door in Episode I.  I think that alone turned a lot of people off and they said, "this isn't Star Wars," and left.  All they had to do was put up a shield generator graphic and they could have easily fixed their lore.