Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They dont appear to be screwing around with wanting to fill servers up

13»

Comments

• DeepfallDeepfall Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by Oph8
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by Atlan99

So by your logic WoW is the only successful mmo. Every other mmo has failed. All mmo companies are operating at a loss and keep the servers running for the players.

No, it's EA's logic. They said it themselves, SWTOR needs 500k active subscribers to remain a worthwhile investment.

Sugar coat it however you want to, the fact remains that a $150-200 million MMO with a whooping 4 PvE servers and 2 PvP servers in North America less than 6 months after release is a complete and utter failure.

On the bright side, at least now that they offer transfers the game can actually be called an MMO. Hopefully it lasts this time around.

Where did you read the 500k active subs to remain worthwhile? Did you attend a EA shareholders meeting or were you in on a call? I'm just wondering because I heard different, much different.

And 300mill to create the MMO? I thought it was 150mil...

Where in the hell are you all getting these numbers??? your asses?

It just keeps rising.  80mil...100mil....150mil....200mil...300mil

Just ignore it. People just love to pull numbers out their asses.  EA/BW are probably the only ones that know how much the game cost to make, and they aren't talking. It's about as stupid as the people quoting subscriptions numbers.  Or the armchair developers that have never worked on a MMO or any genre for that matter, but because they've played a few they are suddenly experts.

This was such a stupid thing to say. The least you can do before insulting other posters is to make a google search by yourself. In deed, people enjoy throwing away wrong numbers, but when the one thrown at you are correct, such reaction is laughable.

I won't even bother point you the way. Those numbers were officially released.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by thamighty213
    Originally posted by Moaky07

BTW

Read today on forums to make sure to grab any email attachments before move. Emails are deleted.

I am hoping my 2 servers get merged into one. Would prefer to keep my higher lvls all on one server now that they allow you to send items between factions.

They do ? If so BWHAHAHAHAHA thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of as if the legacy perks,  being able to be opposition faction on same server wasnt enough.

its hard to believe just how much they screwed this up TBH.

Mailing to opposite faction alts is a legacy perk, you can only send cross-faction to your own characters and even then you can only do it if you connect the alts in the legacy tree.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Might come back when they start transferring to the second largest PvP server (or was it third now), in the EU: Legions of Lettow.

They added a transfer last night from Legions of Lettow to Tomb of Freedon Nadd - looks like ToFN is the destination PvP server for EU EN players. 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Might come back when they start transferring to the second largest PvP server (or was it third now), in the EU: Legions of Lettow.

They added a transfer last night from Legions of Lettow to Tomb of Freedon Nadd - looks like ToFN is the destination PvP server for EU EN players. 

Yup, was quite surprised to see LoL as origin server and not destination.

Not to say the server wasn't dying (definitely was), but for the longest time it was a hugely populated server as well (until 1.2).

Really, 1.2 was a huge blow for the game, alongside Diablo 3.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Yup, was quite surprised to see LoL as origin server and not destination.

Not to say the server wasn't dying (definitely was), but for the longest time it was a hugely populated server as well (until 1.2).

Really, 1.2 was a huge blow for the game, alongside Diablo 3.

1.2 made tons of folks quit then the diablo thing happened followed by gw2 and tsw beta.  If folks think sever mergest/transfers are going to fix this broken game then kudos to them.  It was only one of the many problems with this game.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by erictlewis

1.2 made tons of folks quit then the diablo thing happened followed by gw2 and tsw beta.  If folks think sever mergest/transfers are going to fix this broken game then kudos to them.  It was only one of the many problems with this game.

Dude, chill. The game may be or feel broken to you, but there are enough people who enjoy the game just like they enjoy other themepark MMO's you might despise or dislike, and for those people of course a larger population on a server will be an improvement.

On the side, someone should do solid server player counts on those new servers, I'm curious what the peak concurrent users on them are now, would be interesting.

• c-motc-mot Member UncommonPosts: 51

So by your logic WoW is the only successful mmo. Every other mmo has failed. All mmo companies are operating at a loss and keep the servers running for the players.

No, it's EA's logic. They said it themselves, SWTOR needs 500k active subscribers to remain a worthwhile investment.

Sugar coat it however you want to, the fact remains that a $150-200 million MMO with a whooping 4 PvE servers and 2 PvP servers in North America less than 6 months after release is a complete and utter failure.

On the bright side, at least now that they offer transfers the game can actually be called an MMO. Hopefully it lasts this time around.

Where did you read the 500k active subs to remain worthwhile? Did you attend a EA shareholders meeting or were you in on a call? I'm just wondering because I heard different, much different.

see here -> the reason they put up so many servers

quotes from EA Games label president Frank Gibea and EA CEO John Riccitiello:

What kind of demand are they expecting? Well, for starters, Gibeau said they see the MMO category as being a "tens of millions person opportunity."

And Gibeau said, "We've got a very aggressive plan to be able to scale multiple millions of users coming into the Star Wars franchise and service this fall."

And they'll need those multiple millions of subscribers to make the game a solid financial investment.

EA CEO John Riccitiello told investors that the game starts to become profitable at about 500,000 subscriptions and "makes good money on an ongoing basis" at 1 million subscriptions. But really, considering how much money they've put into this game and into purchasing the game's developer — BioWare — he said, "anything north of 1 million, as we approach 1.5 million or 2 million, starts to look like a great investment."

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Just ignore it. People just love to pull numbers out their asses.  EA/BW are probably the only ones that know how much the game cost to make, and they aren't talking. It's about as stupid as the people quoting subscriptions numbers.  Or the armchair developers that have never worked on a MMO or any genre for that matter, but because they've played a few they are suddenly experts.

ROFL!!!

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Deepfall

This was such a stupid thing to say. The least you can do before insulting other posters is to make a google search by yourself. In deed, people enjoy throwing away wrong numbers, but when the one thrown at you are correct, such reaction is laughable.

Translation:  I don't have any real evidence.  I got the information I hold as fact from some random third party site or worse yet Wikipedia.   It's also possible I pulled that out of my ass to.

If it's true you should have no problem pointing me to where EA and/or BW officially say how much they've spent on it.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• DeepfallDeepfall Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Deepfall

Translation:  I don't have any real evidence.  I got the information I hold as fact from some random third party site or worse yet Wikipedia.   It's also possible I pulled that out of my ass to.

If it's true you should have no problem pointing me to where EA and/or BW officially say how much they've spent on it.

Don't be lazy, I've only posted 16 messages. Clck on my name and read them all.

You'll find what you are looking for. People who are incapable of getting anything by themselves really need to learn some politness.