Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From 214 servers to 20-30, WOW

[updated title & post with accurate info]

I barely have words for this. I've never EVER seen a game launch with such large numbers only to go as far as reducing their total server count to a small fraction of its original count. 10 or 20 servers sure, but 100s?! 

Simply, wow...... O_o;

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

hmm?... I read about their F2P plans... but where is the source of the server decrease?

..Cake..

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Just goes to show the importance of having a quality, compelling endgame.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Very high expectations & goals that were far to lofty prior to launch.   I'm not surprised.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by sgel

hmm?... I read about their F2P plans... but where is the source of the server decrease?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=479470

^~~~One of MANY server mergers. There's like 114 in that list or so, and they're doing more soon.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Are the numbers final? I would wait until the dust has cleared before yelling murder.
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=479470

^~~~One of MANY server mergers. There's like 114 in that list or so, and they're doing more soon.

Thanks for the link dude.

That's quite...astonishing really... not even WAR had such a dramatic decrease.

..Cake..

Originally posted by NBlitz
    Are the numbers final? I would wait until the dust has cleared before yelling murder.

Yea, I counted like 114 servers merged into 21 servers just in that thread alone. So if they do another 100 it'll probably end up being around 30 or so, unless they continue merging into the same 21. We don't really know, but the overall theme of the thread still fits. 

I keep getting more and more new info as I respond in this thread so i'm trying to keep it updated :P!

Well it is murder... we just don't know how much blood there will be yet

..Cake..

Well it is murder... we just don't know how much blood there will be yet

I'll guestimate to about 30 servers down from 214. That's still insane, so I might update the title thread to reflect it :P!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by pierth

Not really. TOR is just putting all the focus on soloing so people enjoy the game for 1-3 months and then feel done with it like a singleplayer game.

If you want people to play a long time you need to focus on multiplayer instead or at least have 50/50.

Originally posted by Loke666

Not really. TOR is just putting all the focus on soloing so people enjoy the game for 1-3 months and then feel done with it like a singleplayer game.

If you want people to play a long time you need to focus on multiplayer instead or at least have 50/50.

I also feel that the quality was piss poor. The Animations & sound were great, don't get me wrong, but the combat, graphics, gameplay, emphasis on solo gameplay, massive linearization, and massive instancing simply cut me off from the game before it began.

You only touched on a small portion of the issue I believe Loke :)!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

The linked numbers have nothing to do with mergers, no mergers have occured.

They are only showing the destinations for the free transfers. Very misleading thread title and content, seems intentionally misleading to be honest.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

@OP: I don't think you can count correctly image

Man, this site is starting to get boring, topics are predictable, even haters (or 'critics') become repetitive and boringly lame, I guess they're bored out of their mind too.

Time to find other MMO and gaming sites with some more spark to it, only where? Hmm.

Originally posted by Kost

They are only showing the destinations for the free transfers. Very misleading thread title and content, seems intentionally misleading to be honest.

They ARE going to do merges, and the destination for the free transfers from the servers are listed. What i posted was correct.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Because, ya know, they'll keep the dead servers around. For sh*ts and giggles. Are you kidding or something?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    Originally posted by cutthecrap

They ARE doing mergers, and the destination for the free transfers from the closed servers are listed. What i posted was correct.

[mod edit]

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/13/star-wars-the-old-republic-unleashes-second-wave-of-server-tran/

Quote:

"Star Wars: The Old Republic's server merges are continuing at a steady pace, and today Bioware has sent another round of servers up to bat. If you've been waiting patiently for your chance to hop to a more populated server, now's your opportunity."

Originally posted by Loke666 Originally posted by pierth Just goes to show the importance of having a quality, compelling endgame.
    Not really. TOR is just putting all the focus on soloing so people enjoy the game for 1-3 months and then feel done with it like a singleplayer game. If you want people to play a long time you need to focus on multiplayer instead or at least have 50/50.
    I also feel that the quality was piss poor. The Animations & sound were great, don't get me wrong, but the combat, graphics, gameplay, emphasis on solo gameplay, massive linearization, and massive instancing simply cut me off from the game before it began.

You only touched on a small portion of the issue I believe Loke :)!

Surely we all knew that the majority of this game would be solo-centric and SWTOR did not disappoint in that- but for any real longevity you have to have an endgame that entices players to keep playing. There's simply no way for EA/Bioware to churn out solo content at the rate players devour it, and naturally once they've completed that content they move on- it's a recipe for disaster for a MMORPG.

This is precisely what happens when a Massively Solo Online Role-Playing Game (with optional multiplayer) is created. Those players that insist MMORPGs cater to solo playstyles are actively telling Pubs/Devs to shoot themselves in the foot. Proof that solo content-locust playstyles kill MMOs.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Ah, you changed your thread title. [mod edit]

This is precisely what happens when a Massively Solo Online Role-Playing Game (with optional multiplayer) is created. Those players that insist MMORPGs cater to solo playstyles are actively telling Pubs/Devs to shoot themselves in the foot. Proof that solo content-locust playstyles kill MMOs.

Not really. Try to implement enforced grouping for leveling, and you'll have people leaving in droves. It wasn't for nothing that after EQ, Blizzard introduced solo-capable leveling in their MMO. And they were hugely successful with it, far more people prefer to be able to level solo when wanted than having to look for group all the time in order to progress in a game. In the end, it's all about fun.

It's only such that you need to have a lot of other features too that is regarded as fun, besides the quest based leveling.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Lol, if a game has 700K players, what diffirence does it make whether they are spread over 214 servers or 20 servers ? As long as the servers can handle the player numbers.

It sounds like the doomsayers are going to use the character transfer numbers to try to "prove" that the game is finally "dead". Is the subtext here something like: "Wow, if they needed 214 servers for 1 million players, reducing that to 20 servers must mean the game only has 100K players left !!1!!!"

SWTOR had the smoothest launch in MMO history, but it came at quite a steep price in the end. Having so many servers at launch (and aggresively managing server loadings) made for very smooth gameplay during the initial rush, but it has left a large number of servers empty now that the population has stabilised.

So, what's really important ? The drop in player numbers is important, and we can clearly see that the numbers have dropped substantially (even by the official announcements), so nothing new there. The re-arrangement of remaining players on fewer (but bigger) servers is expected, not headline news...

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Lol, if a game has 700K players, what diffirence does it make whether they are spread over 214 servers or 20 servers ? As long as the servers can handle the player numbers.

So having many servers with a few players on each is the same as having fewer much more populated servers?

I think your logic has gone stale... [mod edit]

..Cake..

Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Ah, you changed your thread title. Good, the former one made you look like you were some dumb ass who can't count and probably failed at math, this one is slightly better.  Originally posted by pierth This is precisely what happens when a Massively Solo Online Role-Playing Game (with optional multiplayer) is created. Those players that insist MMORPGs cater to solo playstyles are actively telling Pubs/Devs to shoot themselves in the foot. Proof that solo content-locust playstyles kill MMOs.
    Not really. Try to implement enforced grouping for leveling, and you'll have people leaving in droves. It wasn't for nothing that after EQ, Blizzard introduced solo-capable leveling in their MMO. And they were hugely successful with it, far more people prefer to be able to level solo when wanted than having to look for group all the time in order to progress in a game. In the end, it's all about fun.

It's only such that you need to have a lot of other features too that is regarded as fun, besides the quest based leveling.

Source? Metrics/Statistics? Any proof whatsoever? Because the last two "forced grouping" games that I played were FFXI and EQ1 both of which have run with profitable amounts of players for years.

Certainly, if MMO Pubs are only seeking players for less than six months they should focus on soloers- however if they are looking to profit on more than box sales then it shows that it's a stupid, stupid thing to do.

[mod edit]

Just kidding :3!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It sounds like the doomsayers are going to use the character transfer numbers to try to "prove" that the game is finally "dead". Is the subtext here something like: "Wow, if they needed 214 servers for 1 million players, reducing that to 20 servers must mean the game only has 100K players left !!1!!!"

SWTOR had the smoothest launch in MMO history, but it came at quite a steep price in the end. Having so many servers at launch (and aggresively managing server loadings) made for very smooth gameplay during the initial rush, but it has left a large number of servers empty now that the population has stabilised.

So, what's really important ? The drop in player numbers is important, and we can clearly see that the numbers have dropped substantially (even by the official announcements), so nothing new there. The re-arrangement of remaining players on fewer (but bigger) servers is expected, not headline news...

Stop fooling yourself please.  It would be surprising if the game has greater than 500K active players right now and as soon as GW2/TSW launch they'll be heading down to the 200-300K range. (one man's opinion)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I barely have words for this. I've never EVER seen a game launch with such large numbers only to go as far as reducing their total server count to a small fraction of its original count. 10 or 20 servers sure, but 100s?! 

Simply, wow...... O_o;

Um I am fairly sure WAR did something on a similar scale around 4-6 months after release, people left in droves (including me) when the lead dev kept denying things were broken even in the face of a mountain of actual facts and figures proving key features meant for balance were broken. but anyways.

Um what Can I say, I really like Star Wars but:

Shit game is shit.....

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Simply, wow...... O_o;

Um I am fairly sure WAR did something on a similar scale around 4-6 months after release, people left in droves (including me) when the lead dev kept denying things were broken even in the face of a mountain of actual facts and figures proving balance was broken. but anyways.

Um what Can I say, I really like Star Wars but:

Shit game is shit.....

War never had more than 40 servers at launch as I recall and then merged down to about 10 within 3months. Don't quote me as It's been awhile & I can't be bothered @ 6am to go hunt for hours for a source.