Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dyes no longer account unlock but char only

Comments

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

^While that is an adequate compromise for some. It isn't for me. I know I look unreasonable for it but with 400 shades that just seems like a terribly convoluted system. Account-wide unlocks or at least tradeable identified shades would satisfy me. They are severly underestimating the urge many fans have to throw money at them if they don't turn to underhanded practices :

I'll put this issue on simmer until I see further iteration of the dye system though.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Dye's. lol

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

I suggest if you truly want to sample peoples' opinions, you not design future polls in such a horribly biased fashion.  Fail.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Well, I'm not sure I care for character-based color palettes, on the other hand, I noticed after the change that I was getting dye drops A LOT.  I probably received about twenty dyes in just a few hours of play.  That sort of offsets the change for me.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    You can trade them before you open them and I never got a duplicate. I think I had 8 drop for me during the second BWE alone (played mostly in the human area).
  • HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by friednietz

Dyes from the cash shop and Mystic forge are randomly generated. Once a dye is identified it becomes account-bound and once it is used it becomes character bound. Only unidentified dyes can be traded. So if you're looking for a certain shade, prepare to waste a lot of gems, gold, items in order to get lucky in obtaining the dye you're hunting for. With about 400 dye shades available in a RNG dye system this move is a blatant cash grab.

This change blows especially since Kristen said that dyes would unlock across one's whole account. Anet's new monetizing producer, Crystin Cox, is a former Nexon employee which greatly concerns me about future changes in the cash shop and game. Her response to player discontent on the official forum was frankly a load of PR hooey. Something about unlocking dyes being a way for characters to progress and that dyes are not collection items. Except, unlocking a dye per character is not character progression because a level 1 with 10,000 gems can buy several RNG dyes from the cash shop while a level 40 character is stuck with dyes that they cannot use because they can't trade 'em, already got 'em or just don't want 'em. Also, dyes are indeed collection items, it says so in the darn cash shop ad for dyes. lol

Oh well. According to Cox, they aren't going to change to allow dye unlocks to be account-wide. I'll respect that descision and not spend a dime in their cash shop.

Lol @ Nexon employee. That whole company is disgusting.

Anyways, I found the starter dyes to be horrendous and ugly. I don't see the point of having 400 shades, making things complicated for no reason. This reminds me of Vindictus dye system and their cash whore ways.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is slightly annoying, yes. But at least they upped the droprate a lot since BWE1 (and you get the dye right away without any crafting).

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I prefer it, because my character's palette will more realistically reflect their experiences, and it provides ArenaNet with slightly more money that is needed to run the servers. It's a very fair trade-off, considering you can just buy dyes off the Trading House without ever touching the gem store and considering there are no longer dye seeds (ie you no longer need to wait for them to grow). I don't feel like this is really something worth getting worked up over.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Dyes are cosmetics. EXACTLY the sort of things that should be sold in a cash shop. I don't mind at all.

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

The whole idea behind GW2 is that cosmetics have value. It was like this in GW1 and it will be like this in GW2. Hell, didn't you need a dye for every piece of armor in GW1? In the beginning certain Dye's were very uncomon and worh a lot. Now you just need one to perma unlock for a character, which is already making it a lot easier.

Cosmetics are important and need an effort. All gear in GW2 is valued because of cosmetics and nothing more. So you want that special looking gear? Put in some effort. I do not see why people do want to work for meaningless stats endlessly, while thinking working for cosmetics is not worthwhile. Cosmetics = RPG.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I can only say one thing, so what!!!!

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by fiontar

I'd be ok with Character Bound if there was a mechanism for transfering a color from one character to another. So, each individual dye you've found will only allow it to unlock on one character at a time and if you do remove the color from one character and transfer to another, of course any items dyed that color on the donating character would revert to a default starter color.

The could even sell a very cheap item that allows you to "re-bottle" a color and it would be ok, as long is it was actually cheap.

This would allow you to re-sort colors as you start acquiring enough to build themes and if you have a bunch of colors on a character you later abandon, those dyes are not completely lost.

Your solution makes no sense at all. Its only focus is to make things easier. I do not see how unlocking a certain dye type for you character isn´t something fun. I mean, your color is not that important and its cool to get new ones during leveling.

I do think that shades of dye´s should be known when selling them to other players. Not for the gem store ofcourse.

Really the ammount of comlaining about it all comes from the people who want everythign instantly.

In GW1, every part of equipment needed 1 dye. And every dye could only be used once. Just think how much more effort it was to get certain colors on every set of armor on 1 char. Now think about multiple characters. Kids these days.....want everything NOW NOW NOW. `Who wants to spent time unlocking such a useless think as dye´s anyway, only stats matter not cosmethics` Please, go play any other MMO that is suited for your needs. 

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by impiro

I'd be ok with Character Bound if there was a mechanism for transfering a color from one character to another. So, each individual dye you've found will only allow it to unlock on one character at a time and if you do remove the color from one character and transfer to another, of course any items dyed that color on the donating character would revert to a default starter color.

The could even sell a very cheap item that allows you to "re-bottle" a color and it would be ok, as long is it was actually cheap.

This would allow you to re-sort colors as you start acquiring enough to build themes and if you have a bunch of colors on a character you later abandon, those dyes are not completely lost.

Your solution makes no sense at all. Its only focus is to make things easier. I do not see how unlocking a certain dye type for you character isn´t something fun. I mean, your color is not that important and its cool to get new ones during leveling.

I do think that shades of dye´s should be known when selling them to other players. Not for the gem store ofcourse.

Really the ammount of comlaining about it all comes from the people who want everythign instantly.

In GW1, every part of equipment needed 1 dye. And every dye could only be used once. Just think how much more effort it was to get certain colors on every set of armor on 1 char. Now think about multiple characters. Kids these days.....want everything NOW NOW NOW. `Who wants to spent time unlocking such a useless think as dye´s anyway, only stats matter not cosmethics` Please, go play any other MMO that is suited for your needs. 

How does it make no sense? It would, at a cost, allow you to move dyes around between your characters on the same account. If you wanted to use the same color on more than one character, you'd still have to get more than one copy of that color. This would be away to roughly approximate accounts being account wide, while still making duplicates valuable.

It's 400 shades for crying out loud. It's not like this mechanism is going to make it easy to get all 400 dyes, it just allows you to ensure that dyes you've applied to one character aren't totally wasted if you decide to stop playing that character or delete them. With a cost involved in the transfer, most people wouldn't transfer dies around in volume, but if you had one shade on character A that you don't use for that character, but would look good on character B, you could transfer the color, rather than having to open hundreds of random dyes, hoping to find the shade again!

The reasons they don't want us to be able to sell or trade identified dyes should be obvious. If you had a three color scheme in mind, you could just buy those three shades and never worry about dyes ever again. Who would buy dye packs? Plus, they obviously don't want dye drops to be a "get rich quick" lottery like syes were in GW1. Popular, rare shades would be very expensive.  Your idea would have an exponentially greater impact on decreasing the difficulty of collecting dyes than my idea would, which makes your last paragraphy very ironic.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

How does it make no sense? It would, at a cost, allow you to move dyes around between your characters on the same account. If you wanted to use the same color on more than one character, you'd still have to get more than one copy of that color. This would be away to roughly approximate accounts being account wide, while still making duplicates valuable.

It's 400 shades for crying out loud. It's not like this mechanism is going to make it easy to get all 400 dyes, it just allows you to ensure that dyes you've applied to one character aren't totally wasted if you decide to stop playing that character or delete them. With a cost involved in the transfer, most people wouldn't transfer dies around in volume, but if you had one shade on character A that you don't use for that character, but would look good on character B, you could transfer the color, rather than having to open hundreds of random dyes, hoping to find the shade again!

The reasons they don't want us to be able to sell or trade identified dyes should be obvious. If you had a three color scheme in mind, you could just buy those three shades and never worry about dyes ever again. Who would buy dye packs? Plus, they obviously don't want dye drops to be a "get rich quick" lottery like syes were in GW1. Popular, rare shades would be very expensive.  Your idea would have an exponentially greater impact on decreasing the difficulty of collecting dyes than my idea would, which makes your last paragraphy very ironic.

Well, that depends. In GW1 certain colors were pretty rare. So, to say just buy 3 shades they want might not be that easy in practice. Certain colors also were more wanted simply because of the rarity of it, so it works both ways. Also i have no problem with the fact that certain shades would be very expensive, it makes economy way more interesting. i really liked the way dye´s worked in GW1. It made for valuabe items and intresting economics.

But I can see that my idea would indeed make it more easy to collect in that respect that the wanted shades would be buyable. I actually had a full GW1 system in mind, not so much to give 1 dye unlimited uses. if they are unlockables per character, it might indeed not be the smartest solution.

Still, eventhough your system might work, I think they way it would work seems odd if it was really cheap. Basically you can just remove a certain shade any time you intend on playing a certain character for a while.

I have no problem with the 400 shades per character. Basically, when you have character that is worthwhile, you will probably level it to 80 and unlock a lot of shades in the proces. I see no issue about the whole idea that certain shades may take a while to get. I mean the color shades are fun to unlock, but i do not see it neccessary to have all 400 shades. Also I would most certainly not be bothered that my lvl 40 character does not have acces to a certain shade of blue, Ill pick another shade of blue untill I find a better one. Dye colors are not all that important, especially since there are so many of them.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

IT'S PAY TO WIN!!!

Sorry, had to do it.. :P

Eat me!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Loke666

It is slightly annoying, yes. But at least they upped the droprate a lot since BWE1 (and you get the dye right away without any crafting).

Drop rate and exp always get adjusted (mostly downward) prior to launch.  This is especially true for games that rely on cash shops for future profits.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    Originally posted by Loke666

Drop rate and exp always get adjusted (mostly downward) prior to launch.  This is especially true for games that rely on cash shops for future profits.

It still is pointless to complain that they might lower the rate at launch.

I hope they cut down on leveling speed though, I think you level too fast.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I like the fact that Dyes are character specific.  It gives a sense of progression in an already very minimalistic progression based MMO.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Well, that depends. In GW1 certain colors were pretty rare. So, to say just buy 3 shades they want might not be that easy in practice. Certain colors also were more wanted simply because of the rarity of it, so it works both ways. Also i have no problem with the fact that certain shades would be very expensive, it makes economy way more interesting. i really liked the way dye´s worked in GW1. It made for valuabe items and intresting economics.

But I can see that my idea would indeed make it more easy to collect in that respect that the wanted shades would be buyable. I actually had a full GW1 system in mind, not so much to give 1 dye unlimited uses. if they are unlockables per character, it might indeed not be the smartest solution.

Still, eventhough your system might work, I think they way it would work seems odd if it was really cheap. Basically you can just remove a certain shade any time you intend on playing a certain character for a while.

I have no problem with the 400 shades per character. Basically, when you have character that is worthwhile, you will probably level it to 80 and unlock a lot of shades in the proces. I see no issue about the whole idea that certain shades may take a while to get. I mean the color shades are fun to unlock, but i do not see it neccessary to have all 400 shades. Also I would most certainly not be bothered that my lvl 40 character does not have acces to a certain shade of blue, Ill pick another shade of blue untill I find a better one. Dye colors are not all that important, especially since there are so many of them.

I like 400 shades as well. It's just that 400 is enough that even if minor tweaks are made to make things a little more friendly for players, there still is a variety of shades large enough to keep collecting them from being easy.

Pricing of "Empty Vials" would have to be cheap enough that it would make sense to occasionally transfer dyes and not cost prohibitive for players wanting to transfer a large quantity of dyes off a character they've decided to retire or delete, but still have some cost to them, so that players don't just shift dyes around on a whim. I was thinking maybe 15 to 25 single use vials for 250 Gems, (roughly $3.00US, or $.12 to $.20 per color transfered from one character to another).

They could even add a few empty vials to the gem store dye packs, to increase the value and let players play around with the flexibility that the system would offer.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I like the fact that Dyes are character specific.  It gives a sense of progression in an already very minimalistic progression based MMO.

I'd agree with you if there are feasible ways to obtain them without using the Gem store.

I'm probably one of the few people that like the new random PvP reward system of sPvP (as long as they do something about the duplicates).

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Elesthor

I'd agree with you if there are feasible ways to obtain them without using the Gem store.

I'm probably one of the few people that like the new random PvP reward system of sPvP (as long as they do something about the duplicates).

Well, I got about 8 or so dyes leveling from 1-18 on an Engineer in BWE2 from drops and gathering from food resource nodes.

I don't have any idea whether or not I was lucky, but it seemed reasonable to me.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

A sense of progression via dyes....Mmmm  I'm not sure what to think of that. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

This whole thing really dissapoints me and Ive kept my mouth shut about it. 

I didnt play GW1 but I knew there was a dye system in GW2.  Finally, I can make my armor any color I want!  This was long needed in an mmo.  But I didnt know it was a play mechanic and I didnt imagine it would be earnable.  I just figured all the color combinations would be presented to you.  I didnt expect to have to collect anything or pay gems for it either.  I just thought it might be a costumisation feature. 

I guess it will keep me playing some.  Collecting dyes.  I just hate there are dyes in the game at all.  Id just prefer a full color pallete.  Do what I want. 

But its minor.  Its going to be some kind of item.  I'll live and enjoy the game anyways. 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Well they seam to have a ton of dye even if the character creation palette is limited, and every race have his own palette from what i heard (the silvary palette seam really nice from the npc), so the collection aspect is ok, even desirable imo. I prefer the dye to drop than that over complicated seed stuff, i think it's way better now. As for cs, my only grip is that those coming from cs are still character bound and have rng to it, i don't like rng on something i pay for real money, and character bound on cs item seam totally silly to me, but then again it's a bit to much to ask them to make a special dye system just for the cs dyes. So overall i think its ok, this is not a subject that concern me much. I dropped 8 dye this week end, and could use them as soon as i dropped them, i don't know if they will lower the drop rate, probably, but if i can drop a dye here and there i'm good with that.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

400 dyes? I could use a couple more than default and be set...