Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it with these leveling speed complaints on the official forums?

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I had the urge to do every skill point. But as a completionist I had the urge to do everything that was possible to do.

Also here is part of a quote from one of the developers which should be a mantra for everyone playing this game

Also guys, I personally feel that if getting to max level is your biggest concern, you’re going to miss out on a lot of what this game has to offer.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Very good point you bring up about the skillpoints.

It just shows how the "I shouldn't have to ever leave my race's zone" argument is stupid.  Are these people going to never unlock all their skills simply because they didn't want to go to another race's starting zone?

The game is designed to encourage you to explore the world...do it.

There seems to be an insane amount of available skill points in the game. I don't think getting every single one is going to be necessary.

I didn't get close to every single one I saw and still had a large amount of my skills unlocked.

You're probably right, but I think the tier three skills take 5 points each to unlock...and if you always get 1 skill point per level...then I'm betting those skill points would be darn useful once you get to tier 3.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

I had the urge to do every skill point. But as a completionist I had the urge to do everything that was possible to do.

I had this urge also, but I had to remind myself that this was a beta and to save all that for the real thing. It didn't stop me from getting 100% in some zones though.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

So I was checking out the official forums, and it seems like the complaint du jour is:  

"I completed my starting zone but I'm not high enough level to go to the next zone."

Here are two threads that talk about this:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/GW2-feels-too-much-like-a-chore/page/1

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Clarification-on-most-leveling-complaints/page/1#post219865

Now...I just don't get these complaints.  If anyone has played the BWE, they should know that there is PLENTY of content to level you up on hearts alone if you want.  You just need to go to the other races' starting areas.  And that is as easy as taking a portal from your main city.

It seems like these posters basically just want to be completely led by the nose through their zone and their zone alone, and are not willing to even try to go anywhere else.  Instead they would rather complain that there isn't enough stuff to do on the boards.

If you can't tell, this annoys me because I don't want ANET to react to their feedback and increase the leveling speed so that they can go right from Queensdale to Kessex Hills.  What do you all think of this?

I think that these people should take a page out of their own book. You see i have a feeling that they are the same ones that wanted to force having raids/groups only and gear progression in this game. They just need to take a page out of their own book (what they have been telling the rest of us for years in games where you rush to the end and stand around in a lobby waiting for a group) and "GET OVER IT"

The progression is perfectly fine, no you won't reach the end and beat the game in 1 month like other games, so just relax and enjoy it.

The game isn't going to be designed so that you can just jump to the end, this is a game where you explore the world. If you want a game where you jump to the end go play a wow clone, there are pleanty of them.

(the word You isn't directed at anyone in particular)

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

To be honest I had zero interest in this game, for many reasons but I won't get into them since they are off topic. That said I did the Amazon pre order which cost me zero and went into the game as objective as I could. I played several classes to find one which I enjoyed which ended up being a thief, while I had issues with the cut scenes and some of the so called DEs, I did not find leveling to be an issue at all. 

If GW2 is in anyway shape or form held to the same standards as GW1 then no the devs won't change the leveling nor the perceived difficulty of the mobs/events will not be tuned down, but the target audience of the two is very different this time around and as they have stated they are going after WoW. If this is the case I am afraid they might cave into the whinners, which would be a shame.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

It's not that bad at all, I read people getting to level 60-80 this BWE in WvWvW if anything leveling speed in World PvP might need a nerf.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by itgrowls

So I was checking out the official forums, and it seems like the complaint du jour is:  

"I completed my starting zone but I'm not high enough level to go to the next zone."

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/GW2-feels-too-much-like-a-chore/page/1

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Clarification-on-most-leveling-complaints/page/1#post219865

Now...I just don't get these complaints.  If anyone has played the BWE, they should know that there is PLENTY of content to level you up on hearts alone if you want.  You just need to go to the other races' starting areas.  And that is as easy as taking a portal from your main city.

It seems like these posters basically just want to be completely led by the nose through their zone and their zone alone, and are not willing to even try to go anywhere else.  Instead they would rather complain that there isn't enough stuff to do on the boards.

If you can't tell, this annoys me because I don't want ANET to react to their feedback and increase the leveling speed so that they can go right from Queensdale to Kessex Hills.  What do you all think of this?

I think that these people should take a page out of their own book. You see i have a feeling that they are the same ones that wanted to force having raids/groups only and gear progression in this game. They just need to take a page out of their own book (what they have been telling the rest of us for years in games where you rush to the end and stand around in a lobby waiting for a group) and "GET OVER IT"

The progression is perfectly fine, no you won't reach the end and beat the game in 1 month like other games, so just relax and enjoy it.

The game isn't going to be designed so that you can just jump to the end, this is a game where you explore the world. If you want a game where you jump to the end go play a wow clone, there are pleanty of them.

(the word You isn't directed at anyone in particular)

It's not about the speed, I did the human 1-6 hearts 1-6 personal story quests slightly more DE's then the number of hearts all with gold, explored most of the tiny little 1-5 human area in terms of space all of it in terms of unlocks I explored a third of lions arch and a bit of divinities reach yet I was still only lvl 4, 2 levels behind the content I was doing, that feels massively undertuned especially if personal story is supposed to be optional.

As a side note I played a norn in the norn area last BWE and I didn't experience this at all.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

The way leveling XP gain works in crafting is this: For leveling a discipline from 0-400, you will gain 10 levels along the way. By maxing out all 8 disciplines, you will gain 80 levels. That means you could dedicate a character to crafting, feed it all the mats you get on other characters and level it all the way to 80 without ever needing to kill a thing.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

The way leveling XP gain works in crafting is this: For leveling a discipline from 0-400, you will gain 10 levels along the way. By maxing out all 8 disciplines, you will gain 80 levels. That means you could dedicate a character to crafting, feed it all the mats you get on other characters and level it all the way to 80 without ever needing to kill a thing.

I am going to do this.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Let's see in BWE 1 I leveled to 21 in BWE 2 I am still lvl 21...

i wonder if you left Queensdale at all ...

at the beta event i saw a lot of people who didnt knew even how to come at Black Citadel ..!!!

• galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

I didnt read all the pages, but i just wanna say that just by doing my personal story, random event on the way , all the reputation like quests(the one with the hearts) and a few puzzles i kept finding myself OVERleveled , but thats not a problem since the game underlvls u to keep up with the area....

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

I actually do think that leveling is too slow at times, making players underleveled. A lot of the posts you made here are taking GW2 as a GAME and not a MMO WORLD with consistany, coherence and its own universal laws. I roleplay in MMORPGs, and content has to have come coherence and consistancy to make for immersive experience of my character in the GW2 universe. Now I am not saying that GW2 does not have this potential, but its broken by the way you suggest people should level.

When I explore an area, i do so out of motives that I describe to my chracter. I try to explore everything in the map, most of the times I check every corner etc. Eventhough this gives me experience, the DEs that occur when my character is exploring to provide a certain amount of exp that makes my character progress and enables it to continue its journey. However, it is very possible that on certain moments during exploration my chracter does not stumble upon a lot of events, this is realistic as events are random occurances that to my character are random. So far all good, but what if now my chracter is 3 levels too low for the next area, because only a few events occured when my character explored the entire area.

Now the solutions offer to this problem are all immersion breaking to me, and destroying the coherence and consistancy of GW2.

- Wait for events / search for events: That defeats the idea behind random events that my character exerpience ALONG his journey. Now all of the sudden he is running in circles wait for random stuff to happen for no reason. How does this make DEs anythign better than regular quests? It is now assumed as nothing other than a mean of leveling experience, not random events that happen in my adventure.

- Go to other starting areas: Immersion breaking. My character is of a certain race in a particular area of a world with a particular atmosphere. Now all of a sudden i hit a soft border in my journey and my chracter, out of nowhere just figure, meh ill go to this area to exerpience some random, contextless DEs there just so that I can contrinue the journey that I originally envisioned. I have no problem with visiting the other areas at all. But it doesnt coem naturally in the way suggested here. It isnt consitent or coherent with my character and the universe he is in. The idea behind going to other zones here is purely reasoned out of the need to level, not for my character to get there naturaly.

- Do WvW: Same story as the above.

You see when you take a video game only for its content as being fun, without that content having any coherence or consistancy to the universe it takes place in, then the experience is, while a lot of fun, that of game, while not so much that of a virtual world. What I like about MMORPGs are virtual worlds. The way lot of people take GW2 here is as a MMO, not a MMORPG. Convience and direct fun is taking over consistancy and coherence, defeating the purpose of having an openworld with a preset context entirely.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

Isn't keeping leveling speeds slow in favor of Anet? otherwise how would they be able to sell XP oosters if everyone can level up faster? i personally found leveling speed to be allright, compared to games like Rift and Swtor it is a lot slower though. But i understand why Anet wouldn't want players to level fast. They have to make their CS of some use.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

At lvl 39 I had all the elite skills I wanted. - I had two of the 10 pts elite skills and one 30 skill pt elite. At lvl 45 I had sp sitting there doing nothing. I figure I will do this in retail, and then start experimenting more with utility skills.

Basically I did all Queensdale sp, all Kessex hill sp, then I went to the norn starter area, wayfarer hills, and did all the sp there, then all the sp from Snowden drifts. Then I did the char area SP and their lvl 15-25 are sp. - I did not do all the heartquests in these areas. I was at that point so high lvl for the content, I just did the areas I enjoy the most, and wvwvw.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

It takes 3 days to reach lvl 60 if you know what to do.  I wouldn't be surprised to see people hit lvl 80 in 4-5 days with a dedicated guild or group. WvW is broken and too easy to dominate with level advantage, abuse it.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by raven29

It takes 3 days to reach lvl 60 if you know what to do.  I wouldn't be surprised to see people hit lvl 80 in 4-5 days with a dedicated guild or group. WvW is broken and too easy to dominate with level advantage, abuse it.

Maybe change that to level 30?

Those who fast level in MMOs are ruining the genre.... A "normal" player won't level to 30 in 3 days, it will take them a LOT MORE days than that. Obviously "normal" is not someone who plays the game 24/7. I takes more than 30 hours to get to 30 but the whole point is NOT to play the game for the shake of leveling. Those who do it will miss what the game is all about....

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Five level 10 players or one level 80 in The Mists: who wins?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by seridan

Those who fast level in MMOs are ruining the genre.... A "normal" player won't level to 30 in 3 days, it will take them a LOT MORE days than that. Obviously "normal" is not someone who plays the game 24/7. I takes more than 30 hours to get to 30 but the whole point is NOT to play the game for the shake of leveling. Those who do it will miss what the game is all about....

If a person is only interested in World vs World and rushes to lv80, is he really missing what the game is all about? He will miss certain aspects, but then one key aspect he cares the most about won't be missed. 

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

? 30 hours sounds somewhat slower than average, especially since for all activities you're able to gain good xp. I didn't really measure it, but my guess is that 15-20 hours will get you close to 30 depending on activity maybe, from what I read of others and the dev statements, leveling up to level cap will be like 80-90 hrs played.

Of course, power levelers will probably do it in 50-60 hours or less just like in other MMO's via specific paths and routines, I already read some insane numbers, but I'm talking about averages here, by doing the regular activities.

With the automatic level scaling, I don't see a real issue with it, there's still a lot to do at level cap.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

Maybe, maybe not. Who are you to judge what others want or like?

It amuses me when you say "The whole point is NOT to play the game for leveling" just because you play casually and enjoy a slow pace doesn't mean everyone in the world should do the same, the world doesn't revolve around you. People can play and enjoy the game for whatever reasons they want, its their life. Those who go around judging others are mostly hypocrits and ignorant.

Leveling in any MMO is about how many hours you invest not days. If you play 3 hours a day then obviously you won't be hitting level 80 anytime soon. When I mentioned 3 days I was referring to the people who will play 20 hours daily with a good clan in WvW or 2man+ PvE group.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I thought most people here agreed with me that leveling in modern MMOs is too fast nowadays... I guess I was wrong.

But seeing how fast some people levels just during 2 weekends tells me that if the leveling speed should be changed it should be slowed down, not be increased.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It's the result of a few things.

First, players who don't know the game and haven't read starting tips online have no idea how easy it is to get to the other race's areas, or even if they do know, they don't know exactly how.

Second, many players don't understand that you can level very efficiently off of lower level content, so they don't understand the point of going to another racial starting zone to do the level 2-6 content there, or even repeating lower level DEs in your own zone.

Third, a big one that made everything worse, Arenanet greatly reduced the broadcast range for Dynamic Events in BWE2, so even people that knew about DEs and understood that exploration was a good idea, still suffered a serious lack of DEs if they happened to not be in the right place at the right time. Arenanet said they did this to cut down on zergs, but that wasn't a very good reason, considering that even with the old broadcast ranges, many people complained about the difficulty of finding DEs in the level 2-6 areas during BWE1. Also, zergs in BWE1 met with properly scaling DEs and were only going to be seen at all during the early days of the game when the populations are more concentrated in one narrow level range.

I think the anti zerg thing was spurred by some complaints from a vocal minority after BWE1 that branded the game as a "zerg fest". It really wasn't, but someone at Arenanet was way too sensative to the accusation and made a bad adjustment based on that reaction.

If they restore the old broadcast range for Dynamic Events, provide some sort of tutorial guidance on how to easily travel to the other racial cities and also provide some tutorial advice about level scaling, then most of these complaints will go away.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot, if people do at least a couple stages of their Personal Story, they probably will have no issues at all getting out of the 2-6 area of the starting zone. The further beyond level 6 you get, the less a problem this becomes.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The design of the whole WvWvW PVP thing is so dumb and hidden that I bet most of these people don't even know it exists. I constantly see people asking how they get into the PVP because the UI is bad and doesn't give any clear indication.

Maybe, maybe not. Who are you to judge what others want or like?

I suggest you read at least the OP and the linked threads before posting.

There is absolutely no need to increase the experience gain, it's already fast enough. Those who want "fast leveling" are ruining the genre, combined with complaints about leveling in this game being slow (isn't this the point of this thread?)

It amuses me when you say "The whole point is NOT to play the game for leveling" just because you play casually and enjoy a slow pace doesn't mean everyone in the world should do the same, the world doesn't revolve around you. People can play and enjoy the game for whatever reasons they want, its their life. Those who go around judging others are mostly hypocrits and ignorant.

Yes they enjoy the game for whatever reason they want, but that doesn't mean they can complain about the leveling speed now can't they? Those who go around and complain about leveling speed because they can't reach the cap in a day are far worse. And this way of thinking is wrong because there is no end game after level cap. I'm not a "casual" player by any menas, but for GW2 I will change my playstyle considerably.

Leveling in any MMO is about how many hours you invest not days. If you play 3 hours a day then obviously you won't be hitting level 80 anytime soon. When I mentioned 3 days I was referring to the people who will play 20 hours daily with a good clan in WvW or 2man+ PvE group.

Rephrasing: "the whole point -OF PVE- is NOT to play the game for the shake of leveling".

Maybe I should've made it more clear that my post was about the topic of this thread and not just an answer to your post....

The whole topic was about those who complain about PVE leveling being slow and answered exactly to that, they are doing it wrong if they play just for the leveling, and no that's not an opinion I'll change ever. Now WvWvW is completely different

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

If a person is only interested in World vs World and rushes to lv80, is he really missing what the game is all about? He will miss certain aspects, but then one key aspect he cares the most about won't be missed. 

As I answered to raven29, I should've made it clear it was an answer to the whole topic not only a single post. No he won't miss anything, he can level to 80 as fast as he want.