Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoD left in the 'dust'

rcubanorcubano Member Posts: 68

CCP announced that their resources are being focused on DUST 514, the new game addition; as such, World of Darkness is getting the cold shoulder.

They denied cancellation of the game, but it's pretty clear World of Darkness isn't getting any significant amount of resources, and as such I wouldn't expect seeing the game's develop progress much in the next year.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/07/world-of-darkness-information-revealed-in-open-letter-to-fans/ 

Comments

• Vasquez21Vasquez21 Member Posts: 6

I think that's something we know for a while now. Dust is planned to be in sale at the end of this year, so they have to polish it as much as possible, additionaly what we have to remember is that Dust will be strongly conected with Eve Online, so that's another not easy task...

But what we know for sure WoD is still in development, and I think that next year it would be main focus for CCP.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Crap. I've had high hopes on this one.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Well, if they have a game comming close for release then its a good thing that they focus on that one game first instead of spreading resources on 2 games..

Lets hope that WoD just slowed down abit :) 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well I am not suprised they are putting everything into the game they are about to release.. hell that is exactly what I would do..

When DUST is out I am pretty sure they will put resources back into World of Darkness.. they would be a bit silly not to with the amonut of interest the game has had.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

The speed at which WoD gets developed will likely hing on how successfull Dust is. Eve will likely continue giving CCP a steady stream of income no matter what so its not likely the company is going anywhere anytime soon, however, if they get another nice income stream from Dust then that would likely bode very well for WoD.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Snikz
    Well, if they have a game coming close for release then its a good thing that they focus on that one game first instead of spreading resources on 2 games..Lets hope that WoD just slowed down a bit :) 

Which is great if the game does well, but right now that doesn't look particularly optimistic. On the other hand, if they are pooling the majority of resources into a game that goes down the crapper, be prepared to wait a long, long time to see WoD.

• rcubanorcubano Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by pierth

Which is great if the game does well, but right now that doesn't look particularly optimistic. On the other hand, if they are pooling the majority of resources into a game that goes down the crapper, be prepared to wait a long, long time to see WoD.

... Time to go on a rampage of forum-posting all across the internet heralding how awesome DUST is!image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

From what we seen so far it seems like most of the WoDO teamalso pitch in at times with Dust, that is true.

But hopefully will the opposite be true as soon as Dust is out. Small indie companies like CCP are forced to do stuff like this.

Still, we are promised to see some nice vids with actual people in them this autumn. I wont hold my breath that they willrelease the game next year but they will release it eventually.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

During this last EVE Fanfest they pretty much said that what we see and find out about WoD there would be the last thing we'd hear for a good long time. This isn't really a surprise, especially becuase WoD is apparently a few years away from now.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I continue to be amazed that with all the hype vampires have had in the last 5 years or so, there has been no vampire-themed MMO released... even a really obnoxious WoW-clone with glittery Twilight vampires!!!

You'd think there would be a pretty substantial and loyal playerbase just waiting to be tapped.

Seems like a no-brainer...  

But what do I know... apparently what we need are more fantasy MMOs (GW2... Elder Scrolls Online... and on and on...).

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    What a shame. So that might mean this won't get released till 2014-2015? I'm really hoping it isn't delayed till 2016.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I got the chance to get my hands on DUST 514 @ E3. From what I saw it's a complete mess, and this can only be good news for DUST 514.

It needs a LOOOOOOOOT of work.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

TBH, I think CCP knows what they are doing when keeping DUST 514 not to exposed atm. I think when they look back at the EVE launch they realise that what saved them back then was that the game was NOT a day 1 hit. Hype and tons of players on day 1 is what kills most MMO's these days. I think CCP wants to get DUST up and running, and as it matures step up the advertising.

But thats just a guess...

WoD is being run by a small team atm. As long as they are still figuring out the mechanics, that not really an issue. I would rather that they take thier time getting the core right, and then add all the bells and wistles of graphics & sound later, pulling in the full CCP content machine.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by fadis

I continue to be amazed that with all the hype vampires have had in the last 5 years or so, there has been no vampire-themed MMO released... even a really obnoxious WoW-clone with glittery Twilight vampires!!!

Dark Legends

City of Eternals

Reign of Blood

Bite Fight, Thirst of Night and a dozen other cheezy 'bite' variants.

Moonlight Online

Crimson Moon

Vampire Legacy

Bloodmoon / Bloodgame

Vampire War (iOS)

MMOs you can currently play as a vampire in:

Forsaken World

EUDemons

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KothazKothaz Member Posts: 3

It's CCP. Not some soul-less, evil conglomerate that sees nothing but the bottom line, like EA or Blizzard-Activision. They still have something which I like to call artistic integrity. Just because they've pulled some resources from WoD and gave them to a game that is launching ~soon~ doesn't mean they're developing WoD with any less of said integrity. They can easily put resources back into WoD after Dust 514 has been launched.

To not divert more attention to Dust as it gets closer to launch would be a bad move. As the old saying goes - if you chase 2 rabbits, you will lose them both.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    IMO dust 514 is a cool idea but not one that will last long in terms of longevity. It is after all a console game. Who is gonna hang around pased 3 months with this game? IMO CCP is making a big mistake by not putting good resources into this mmo, especially with the demand for this type of game/ genre out there.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    What a shame. So that might mean this won't get released till 2014-2015? I'm really hoping it isn't delayed till 2016.

Dont lose hope, I think we might see WoD by Q2 of next year.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

We've seen what happens when CCP stretches its development teams over too many projects.

THey need to work on Eve, they are about to release Dust then once Dust is released and it pulls in a profit they can work on WoD.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ThaVampThaVamp Member Posts: 48

I don't mind them finishing up their other projects before fully going for WoD. But I really hope they'll go for it after that. WoD really sounds like the MMO I'd always wanted to play. VtM iso VtR, sandbox gameplay in the sense: you can do whatever you want when you want it, player driven world with all sherrif's and princes being real humans, full scale world PvP with teritory control, beautifull graphics. Now I'll hope that they implant a levelless progression system, good crafting and come up with a kind of player created quests that I always wanted in my MMO's and I can quite my dayjob and say ,my social life goodbye ;-)

Come to think of it, wouldn't be cool if they made this game into a kind of crowdsource game?! Not in the sense that we all learn how to program, but more in the sense of that we can play the game in a very early alpha stage and maybe that there will be polls for in-game features. That would be awesome! I even would want to pay for playing it. Although not the full monthly fee untill it's all done.