Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

PlaneShift: The Official MMORPG.com Review

BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing EditorBerea, OHPosts: 2,365MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

PlaneShift has been around the block a few times. As Atomic Core holds true to its word, PS is an MMORPG that strives to be everything it can be for Role-Players.  Open-sourced, and sandbox to the core, is it a game worth playing? That might depend on what you're looking for.

Though it’s been in development since 2002, the current version of Planeshift, Arcane Chrysalis, wasn’t released until late 2009.  More than two years later, a lot has changed for the title, but the two principles upon which it’s built remain the same.  Firstly, this isn’t a themepark for gamers; rather it’s a playground for roleplayers, and this is ingrained in the title to its core.  Secondly, though developers Atomic Blue do guide the creation of game content, the project is ‘open sourced’, meaning people from all over the world can contribute.  With that out in the open many of you will already know whether Planeshift holds any allure for you, but if you’re still on the fence read on to see whether this is a sandbox you want to build castles in.

Read the rest of Luke Karmali's PlaneShift: The Official MMORPG.com Review.

Comments

• CallessonCallesson Belsk DuzyPosts: 5Member

I've tried this game once, it was awful. Why would you even review something sooo unfinished?

• FusionFusion VaasaPosts: 1,391Member Uncommon

I thought this game was long dead, guess i was wrong... in a manner of speaking :D

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,536Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Callesson

I've tried this game once, it was awful. Why would you even review something sooo unfinished?

At this piont, with how long this game has been in development, if they were to wait for it to be "finished", there'd never be a review.

• IchmenIchmen Winnipeg, MBPosts: 1,228Member

while i dont judge games on graphics.  just looking at the review's pictures makes me not want to try this game... those are extemely dated.. sure it was started in 2002 where those graphics are from.. but given this is 2012.. it might be wiser for the devs to think about a texture overhaul nothing  insanely flashly, dont need a crysis graphics of DX 1000000 but ya know some nice Dx9  might be nice change of pace instead of those.. what Dx 6??

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.8GHz
    Evga GeForce 670 FTW
    Evga P55 SLI

<image

• LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon

They had to review something terrible, because they gave Tera a lower score than it deserved.. So they needed to score something even lower to show scale.

• WarleyWarley Jackson, MIPosts: 376Member Uncommon

This is a game that was developed on virtually no budget, by MMO RPG fans.... and, you guys are going to knock it like this?  These guys have managed to do something that many studios with budgets haven't.  

• pupurunpupurun spartaPosts: 537Member Uncommon

"Great for RPers"???  I dont think so...their chat system is for laughs and the whole chat/emote interactivity is a joke! Yes there is a nice RP setting...but practically AoC is a much better game to RP with...eventhough RPers have been gone missing...

In addition this game is actually getting worse by the years...Avatar control and graphics are getting worse and harder to cope with(even with TOP spec pc). Buggy , unpolished and most of all NO SENCE OF DIRECTION what so ever...The interior of the buildings remind me of Aerrevan(omg i 'm gonna puke) "One table and one bookshelf to rule them all"

I understand that this is and indie game and has no funding..but this is not only about  development...but also about taste...

• mymmomymmo StockholmPosts: 300Member

Thank you for reviewing this game. Didnt know it existed and I had alot of fun for 2 hours in the game :) 

Corsair 700D, EVGA X58 3x SLI classified, i7 950@4,2ghz,12gb ram@2ghz, 680@1255mhz/6625mhz, Xonar essence, 2x80gb intel g2, 1x120gb intel g2, 5tb Western Digital black, Seasonic 1k platinum, EK-CoolStream (140), EK-CoolStream (360), EK Waterblocks EVGA X58 Classified Acetal, EK Water Blocks EK-RAM Dominator X6, Aquastream XT ultra,Aquacomputre Aquadrive x4, 3xNexus Real Silent 120mm, SyncMaster 305Tplus

yep! Two hours will do it...  lol

• RazeeksterRazeekster Solon, MEPosts: 2,201Member Uncommon

I probably wouldn't have minded this game if the walking was at least normal. Instead your character walks, literally, as slow as a turtle... getting a piggy back ride from a slug.

Smile

• mymmomymmo StockholmPosts: 300Member
    Originally posted by pupurun

Pardon me, but what did you contribute with that comment? ...I see you are 39 years old. If that is true I feel sorry for you.

Corsair 700D, EVGA X58 3x SLI classified, i7 950@4,2ghz,12gb ram@2ghz, 680@1255mhz/6625mhz, Xonar essence, 2x80gb intel g2, 1x120gb intel g2, 5tb Western Digital black, Seasonic 1k platinum, EK-CoolStream (140), EK-CoolStream (360), EK Waterblocks EVGA X58 Classified Acetal, EK Water Blocks EK-RAM Dominator X6, Aquastream XT ultra,Aquacomputre Aquadrive x4, 3xNexus Real Silent 120mm, SyncMaster 305Tplus

• norman728norman728 Philadelphia, PAPosts: 137Member Uncommon

I tried Planeshift Years ago. while fun for awhile, it was truly vanilla. it was like showing up to act in a play of which you were the only one without a script.  improving only worked if you had some idea what the current story was. I'm sorry to hear it hasn't progressed much beyond what I saw then. I appluad theier efforts and wish them luck. it has great potential if they can refine what they have.

• WolfhammerWolfhammer KetteringPosts: 694Member Uncommon

Looks like a load of tosh..  No thanks.

• Marcus79Marcus79 Toronto, ONPosts: 24Member

My 2 cents, the review is somewhat flawed . How can you say there is no sound, no voiceover, no music??? THERE IS SOUND AND MUSIC!

• sonoggisonoggi tdot, ONPosts: 1,119Member

what is this i dont even

Originally posted by mymmo
    Originally posted by pupurun

Pardon me, but what did you contribute with that comment? ...I see you are 39 years old. If that is true I feel sorry for you.

I expressed my opinion that Two Hous would be enough to play with this game and actually realise there is nothing more to it.

Why would my comment contribute to anything more than adding something to my personal view which i have in details expressed earlier ...

• TaladTalad PlaneShift Developer TurinPosts: 76Member

Greetings, many of the bugs reported by mmorpg.com have been fixed with the latest updates, including the white effect pictured above. Sound/music/voiceovers are available. Being an open source project, you can help to improve it and add your ideas!