Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They dont appear to be screwing around with wanting to fill servers up

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by fundayz

Sugar coat it however you want to, the fact remains that a $150-200 million MMO with a whooping 4 PvE servers and 2 PvP servers in North America less than 6 months after release is a complete and utter failure.

God, your factchecking sucks. Solid analysis and math must have deteriorated in classes these days image

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Moaky07

BTW

Read today on forums to make sure to grab any email attachments before move. Emails are deleted.

I am hoping my 2 servers get merged into one. Would prefer to keep my higher lvls all on one server now that they allow you to send items between factions.

They do ? If so BWHAHAHAHAHA thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of as if the legacy perks,  being able to be opposition faction on same server wasnt enough.

its hard to believe just how much they screwed this up TBH.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by chryses

I really wanted SWTOR to work but it just feels like a watered down single player game with lots of other gamers running around.

Mass effect 3 is a better multiplayer game than a MMORPG nuff said.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Basically the server merges are bringing down the total number of worldwide servers to just over a dozen.

For a budget anywhere between $200 and $300 million, that is simply disastrous.

SWTOR is the fastest and most expensive MMO failure in history.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

The problem with all this is that they don't have a roadmap for significant content updates dropping between now and games like GW2 releasing. It's all well and good merging servers but when a game like Diablo 3 can cut the most populated EU PVP server from 300 on fleet at peak time to around 100 things don't look good for the future. It was a dungeon grinder with no PvP for heavens sake and the PvP'ers all still left TOR.

I take no pleasure in saying it but unless they can release expansion sized content before GW2 hits then the TOR population is going to be decimated.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Basically the server merges are bringing down the total number of worldwide servers to just over a dozen.

For a budget anywhere between $200 and $300 million, that is simply disastrous.

SWTOR is the fastest and most expensive MMO failure in history.

Wow, you really do know how to keep on rant campaigning, eh?

Christ, some people... image

Fuck, this site is weird.

Originally posted by Kabaal

The problem with all this is that they don't have a roadmap for significant content updates dropping between now and games like GW2 releasing. It's all well and good merging servers but when a game like Diablo 3 can cut the most populated EU PVP server from 300 on fleet at peak time to around 100 things don't look good for the future. It was a dungeon grinder with no PvP for heavens sake and the PvP'ers all still left TOR.

I didn't research it, but I'd be surprised if D3 didn't cut down the gamer numbers of a lot of MMO's and games when it came out, at least for a number of weeks. 7 million+ sales, those millions of gamers had to come from somewhere.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Noo not my Rakata mind Prison, to the bastion, bah!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Some of this could be an increase in server population capacity.  That could make server mergers look more dramatic than they actually are.  I don't know if this is what's happening, just a related observation.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    To those who say I should be happy about server transfers: mine is still not on the list (the ebon hawk) and it is a ghost town. At this point there is no reason to keep paying a sub for a lonely game. Somehow my server is medium pop but on either side I never see more than 7 people on a planet or 40 peeps on fleet. Of those 40, 35 or more are busy cybering. Rerolling with my legacy level and toon levels is not worth it either. Giving them more time only benefits their wallets.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Some of this could be an increase in server population capacity.  That could make server mergers look more dramatic than they actually are.  I don't know if this is what's happening, just a related observation.

Could be, some of the servers were seeing 600 people on the fleet last night. I don't think i've ever seen more than around 400 before even on servers with queues.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Could be, some of the servers were seeing 600 people on the fleet last night. I don't think i've ever seen more than around 400 before even on servers with queues.

I've only ever seen 200 with queues before so 600 is a massive leap.

They were talking about mega servers though.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by vmoped

To those who say I should be happy about server transfers: mine is still not on the list (the ebon hawk) and it is a ghost town. At this point there is no reason to keep paying a sub for a lonely game. Somehow my server is medium pop but on either side I never see more than 7 people on a planet or 40 peeps on fleet. Of those 40, 35 or more are busy cybering. Rerolling with my legacy level and toon levels is not worth it either. Giving them more time only benefits their wallets.

Cheers!

Dude, losing credibility by the second....

RP-PVE
    Kath Hound --> The Ebon Hawk
    Shien --> The Ebon Hawk
    Sanctum of the Exalted --> The Ebon Hawk
    Lord Adraas --> The Ebon Hawk
    Rubat Crystal --> The Ebon Hawk

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Might come back when they start transferring to the second largest PvP server (or was it third now), in the EU: Legions of Lettow.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Ikeda

To those who say I should be happy about server transfers: mine is still not on the list (the ebon hawk) and it is a ghost town. At this point there is no reason to keep paying a sub for a lonely game. Somehow my server is medium pop but on either side I never see more than 7 people on a planet or 40 peeps on fleet. Of those 40, 35 or more are busy cybering. Rerolling with my legacy level and toon levels is not worth it either. Giving them more time only benefits their wallets.   Cheers!

RP-PVE
    Shien --> The Ebon Hawk

Well that was after they updated the list. Originally they did not have any rp servers listed. I am happy they finally realized that we needed peeps, but has nothing to do with my credibility since they were added afterwards... Thanks for the heads up tho!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

Why is it some people aren't happy unless they are right about a video game burning?

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Cheers!

RP-PVE
    Shien --> The Ebon Hawk

Well that was after they updated the list. Originally they did not have any rp servers listed. I am happy they finally realized that we needed peeps, but has nothing to do with my credibility since they were added afterwards... Thanks for the heads up tho! Cheers!

I hate it I hate I hate it.

Oh....we got hooked up.....that rocks dude. image

I actually made some chars on Ebon Hawk today waiting for some of my characters to get moved. Server was at normal at 5PM EST, so I expect it will start filling out good as folks move over. Well for a RP server anyways....the servers not designated as RP have a lot more servers to help build numbers.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

awesome server mergers. Cant wait for july to log in for free until lvl 15, check out whats new in game then log out.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

122 servers down to 19. Thats a rather large transition.

They are not finished, and there are 214 servers not 122.   Theres probably giong to be 14 servers when they are done according to scoprs predictions.

there are not 214 servers in total there are 171 in total, 123 US, 45 EU and 3 Asia-Pacific.

if 123 servers are becoming 19, the ratio is 6.47 Servers to every 1.

EU is suffering from the same issues, so 45/6.47 = 7ish

Asia wont transfer because they only have 1 server for each rule set totalling 3, unless they merge into the EU or US servers in which case Asia would be 0.

so after ALL "Transfers" *cough mergers*

26 or 29 total servers from 171, depending on if they close Asia-Pacific or not.

All servers are listed at http://www.torstatus.net/

Click the North America, European, and Asia Links at the top to see ALL listed Servers.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

"Selling 200 commercial grade servers, barely used. Willing to trade for load of water based lubricant and kleenexes of equal value. Send inquiries to Ray Muzyka, Austin Texas. "

Originally posted by Saryhl
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

122 servers down to 19. Thats a rather large transition.

They are not finished, and there are 214 servers not 122.   Theres probably giong to be 14 servers when they are done according to scoprs predictions.

there are not 214 servers in total there are 171 in total, 123 US, 45 EU and 3 Asia-Pacific.

if 123 servers are becoming 19, the ratio is 6.47 Servers to every 1.

EU is suffering from the same issues, so 45/6.47 = 7ish

Asia wont transfer because they only have 1 server for each rule set totalling 3, unless they merge into the EU or US servers in which case Asia would be 0.

so after ALL "Transfers" *cough mergers*

26 or 29 total servers from 171, depending on if they close Asia-Pacific or not.

All servers are listed at http://www.torstatus.net/

Click the North America, European, and Asia Links at the top to see ALL listed Servers.

There never should of been that many servers to begin with. GW2 actually has a good idea about the overflow servers. If BW didnt wanna raise the caps to start off, stealing the overflow idea would of taken care of the matter. Instead they launched 2 billion servers that werent close to being full. They all would get up to normal at night, but that just doesnt make for 24 hrs a day worth of folks.

Between that, and every way BW has found to shot themselves in the foot, I am still seeing the reduction as a good thing these days. There is a buzz in the air, and others around to actually see on planets again. I have never seen 200+ plus in the station...I did tonight.

I see no way they will ever get back all the PVP folks that bailed. What they can do is grow the PVE portion. Filling in on standard MMO items(group finder/interface etc), content, and folks to game with is the way you do that.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

In typical Bioware / EA fashion, too little, too late. It is good that they are finally getting around to server merges, but until they actually start getting ahead of the curve with this game, and starting to roll out updates & fixes when they are needed, instead of after people have been complaining about them for months, I really don't things improving much. SE had the same problem w/ FF. Beautiful looking game, had some strong points, but they just took way too long to fix things that should've been there from the start. By the time they fixed the things that should've been in @ release, they were already behind on some of the early problems that arose after.

You can't consistantly be late to the party and expect to come out ahead.

Originally posted by aesperus

In typical Bioware / EA fashion, too little, too late. It is good that they are finally getting around to server merges, but until they actually start getting ahead of the curve with this game, and starting to roll out updates & fixes when they are needed, instead of after people have been complaining about them for months, I really don't things improving much. SE had the same problem w/ FF. Beautiful looking game, had some strong points, but they just took way too long to fix things that should've been there from the start. By the time they fixed the things that should've been in @ release, they were already behind on some of the early problems that arose after.

You can't consistantly be late to the party and expect to come out ahead.

Agreed

They need to steal Scott Hartsman from Trion. What he did with EQ2 after getting the reins was simply awesome.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

this whole "Hate this MMO, hate that MMO" bandwagon is so old.  Don't play MMOs if you don't like MMOs.  Go play UO if you don't want a quest-based leveling theme MMO. Go play DAoC if you want a PvP oriented MMO.  Other than those two exceptions, if you don't like any other MMO, go play FPS or RTS games.  You're not an MMO player.  I'm having fun playing swtor with my friends.  And having fun is the only thing that matters, it's a game.

6 months ago, people were claiming Guild Wars 2 was the end all, be all game of all time.  It hasn't even launched yet, and people are already starting up threads about how bad it is...when it's not a bad game.  i've played the beta, it's fun.  You aren't an MMO player, stop trying to play MMOs.

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Atlan99

So by your logic WoW is the only successful mmo. Every other mmo has failed. All mmo companies are operating at a loss and keep the servers running for the players.

No, it's EA's logic. They said it themselves, SWTOR needs 500k active subscribers to remain a worthwhile investment.

Sugar coat it however you want to, the fact remains that a $150-200 million MMO with a whooping 4 PvE servers and 2 PvP servers in North America less than 6 months after release is a complete and utter failure.

On the bright side, at least now that they offer transfers the game can actually be called an MMO. Hopefully it lasts this time around.

Where did you read the 500k active subs to remain worthwhile? Did you attend a EA shareholders meeting or were you in on a call? I'm just wondering because I heard different, much different.

And 300mill to create the MMO? I thought it was 150mil...

Where in the hell are you all getting these numbers??? your asses?

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Oph8
    Originally posted by Atlan99

So by your logic WoW is the only successful mmo. Every other mmo has failed. All mmo companies are operating at a loss and keep the servers running for the players.

No, it's EA's logic. They said it themselves, SWTOR needs 500k active subscribers to remain a worthwhile investment.

On the bright side, at least now that they offer transfers the game can actually be called an MMO. Hopefully it lasts this time around.

Where did you read the 500k active subs to remain worthwhile? Did you attend a EA shareholders meeting or were you in on a call? I'm just wondering because I heard different, much different.

And 300mill to create the MMO? I thought it was 150mil...

Where in the hell are you all getting these numbers??? your asses?

It just keeps rising.  80mil...100mil....150mil....200mil...300mil

Just ignore it. People just love to pull numbers out their asses.  EA/BW are probably the only ones that know how much the game cost to make, and they aren't talking. It's about as stupid as the people quoting subscriptions numbers.  Or the armchair developers that have never worked on a MMO or any genre for that matter, but because they've played a few they are suddenly experts.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.