Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's play together!

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Several months ago I started a campaign to get a group of people together on one mmo to play the way we all used to play MMO's. In a friendly community driven atmosphere where we didn't rush or power level to end game. The goal was to enjoy the game as a community and progress together without rushing to end game. The game of choice for this was FFXI. For a while it was going great, everyone was having a great time. However, we got overzealous of our popularity and was inviting anybody and everybody. Eventually we got a few bad apples, who did not understand what the goals of the guild were, and thus started causing issues for everybody. I was guilty for not having been on as much as I'd like and there being no real worthy candidates to run things in my abscence. Eventually these bad apples overthrew the guild and people who had joined for its original purpose, started leaving left and right. To make a long story short.. in the time things were going as planned I had some of the most fun I'd had in a long time with an MMO. So it got me thinking about trying to do something like this again, knowing what I know now.. I won't make the same mistakes twice.

However, I felt like this time instead of just saying "This is the game we will play". I would let other's chime in on what game they might be interested in playing, and see where it goes from there. It is common knowledge that any of these games can be fun when you share the experience with other people, since these games are based on their social aspect to begin with. Many of the games out there become quite dull without that. Since MMORPG.COM is such a large "base" of players. I would start here in seeing if anyone would be interested in trying this with me. I'm 30 years old and I've played every single AAA mmo in existence to date. I don't have a preference on what game we may play as long as we have some guidelines set in place to keep things going smoothly so everyone has a great time!

Here are a few things I'd look for in a game personally:

- Plenty of group content

- Enough solo content to get things done if enough people are not on at a given time

- PVP (in some form)

These are my basic guidelines, and I am keeping it "broad" so that we have a large pool of games to choose from.

So with that in mind, if you are interested in something like this.. hop in this thread, tell us who you are and give us a suggestion on a game we might play.  There are plenty of free trials out now, so we should have no issues finding something and even trying it first if need be. I've literally played everything, so I'm up for just about anything.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

UPDATE:

Since people are starting to chime in with votes.. here are the candidates thus far. I will come back and tally votes later.

- EQ2 - I I I I I I I I 

- VANGUARD - I I I I I I I I I 

- FFXIV - I I I I I I I

- DDO - I

- RIFT - I I I I I

- Asheron's Call - I

- Everquest - I

- Champions Online - I

Guild Wars 2 - I

- EVE - I

- FFXI - II

Last vote by Elocke.

UPDATE: ADDED A POLL.. FEEL FREE TO RECAST YOUR VOTE.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• doyomasterdoyomaster Member Posts: 25

I saw the old group forming up and almost joined in, but at the time I didn't have much interest in FFXI.

Personally, I think this is a great idea, and would love to see this go down in one of the "grand daddy" MMO's. I'll throw in a vote for either Asheron's Call, or Everquest.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread to see where it goes!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Champions Online, well put together MMO and has every game mode you could want.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Yeah, I didn't want to go straight to FFXI this time because there may be a game that would be more fitting this time around. It was just the game I chose. I'm trying to recruit some other vets to server as officers, so that the same things won't happen this time around. Reformation was the name of the Linkshell, and it was great for several months. We just needed to be more careful about who we recruited.

Currently playing:

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I'm throwing my votes in for EQ2 / VG / RIFT or FFXIV (not all of which have good PvP available, but all are great grouping games).

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

DDO,ddo,ddo, and ddo. Maybe ddo?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Aquazen

DDO,ddo,ddo, and ddo. Maybe ddo?

DDO or Guildwars are excellent if we are talking about 4-8 people interested. For more they are not really massive enough.

I think GW2 would be the best choice since there is plenty of content you can play with 5 or 50 people.

I am kinda interested as well, but have short of time right now.

• doyomasterdoyomaster Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by AliceKaye

I'm throwing my votes in for EQ2 / VG / RIFT or FFXIV (not all of which have good PvP available, but all are great grouping games).

I would probably be interested in these as well.

My votes would currently be for..

FFXIV, EQ2, Rift, VG with FFXI as a last resort..

GW2 is a choice as well but I have no experience with it as of right now.

Currently playing:

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I vote EQ2, Rift, VG and FFXIV.

Keep the votes and discussion coming!

I know there are more people out there looking for something like this.

Currently playing:

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

FFXIV

I plan on going back when 2.0 comes out so you'll find me there.

Excalibur server.

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38

I vote VG once it goes F2P. I would say EQ2 but it is just a big fluff and market game now. It's just not the same as it used to be.

Thanks for the input! When does VG go FTP? and wouldn't it wind up the same?

Currently playing:

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by raystantz

Thanks for the input! When does VG go FTP? and wouldn't it wind up the same?

Sometime this summer. It will probably eventually be the same, but hopefully not immediately. EQ2 actually used to be a group oriented game. Not saying it's not still in end game, but for the most of lower level you can solo everything if you know what you're doing.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

EQ2, TSW, or VG (F2P)

Please keep in mind that the purpose of this guild would be to play whatever game we wind up in the way it was originally intended.. so there's no reason we can't "group" for whatever content we want. The beauty of this is that we don't have to follow the crowd and rush to end cap. 

Currently playing:

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I'd be all for VG (F2P)

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Josh007CL

I vote VG once it goes F2P.

^

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I would say VG or EQ2. Hey again ray:) My wife and I currently play EQ2 on Buthcerblock server and absolutely love it. There is alot more now you can solo, but thats a good thing, in those times no one really is on. The amount of content in EQ2 is mindnumbing to be honest, and if you do it as originally intended, you ll have fun for years to come. EQ2 is also getting another x pac this year sometime(december apparently) We had so much fun back in the day with EQ2, and our guild of 12-15 active people. Heritage quests, dungeons, signature quests, etc.  Hell we had little contests, races etc, was a blast. I can t say enough about EQ2 actually so I guess in a longwinded way , that would be my vote.

Maybe make a poll for this :)

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

FFXIV would be the best grouping game of the list, though it doens't have PVP. My votes for it, I've been looking to have a nice group to play with fresh. 

If not XIV, then EQ2. Haven't played in years.

Originally posted by Draron

FFXIV would be the best grouping game of the list, though it doens't have PVP. My votes for it, I've been looking to have a nice group to play with fresh. 

Problem with XIV is it s changing in 2.0 . No one knows what it will truly be like, and in all honesty, although I can see it getting better it s still, an average game atm. I beleive 2.0 will be awesome, but it s the unknow.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Leucent

Problem with XIV is it s changing in 2.0 . No one knows what it will truly be like, and in all honesty, although I can see it getting better it s still, an average game atm. I beleive 2.0 will be awesome, but it s the unknow.

I would call XIV anything but average. It's like XI, different from any other MMO out there.

2.0 is keeping the same base systems (controls, feeling of movement sans jump, combat but just more actions, etc). Most people are expecting more than 2.0 will deliver (which is basically a redone world, storyline, chocobo breeding, and more familiar MMO elements like the UI overhaul, housing and PVP).

Opinions on if a game is good or not is why we have a tally for votes on games, with XIV in the lead now.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Opinions on if a game is good or not is why we have a tally for votes on games, with XIV in the lead now.

If you read the thread thoroughly, you'd see VG is clearly in the lead.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

I think VG and EQ2 are actually leading. WOuld know better if there was a poll :)