Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Krater Launch Announcement and Giveaway!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

While this isn't an MMO, we wanted to bring your attention to the launch of an interesting new indie game by the name of Krater. Developed by the folks at Fatshark, Krater, which was released yesterday (grab it on Steam here!), is a post-apolcalyptic take on old-school RPGs with a top-down RTS perspective.

The game features squad based gameplay, where the player will need to actively control three characters at once while adventuring throughout post-apolcayptic Sweden. Krater utilizes randomized dungeons and events to keep things fresh and interesting, and even offers tons of quests for players to complete. The harsh world of Krater also brings with it the threat of permadeath.

Crafting is integral to Krater as well. Players can craft everything from the typical items and weapons to their characters' own abilities.

Krater is currently singleplayer only, but will feature co-op gameplay in an update scheduled for release next month.

Sound interesting? Great! Because we're also giving away 15 keys for the game today! All you need to do is tell us what appeals to you most about Krater in the comments below and we'll PM our favorite entries with a free gift key to the game (redeemable on Steam)!

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

This line piqued my interest: 'post-apolcalyptic take on old-school RPGs with a top-down RTS perspective' :)

That and the crafting aspect, of course.

• BekaBeka Member UncommonPosts: 59

The crafting and setting are what really interest me about this game. The mini-squad aspect is pretty neat too.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Loving all these recently announced and launching indie titles. Never heard of this, but definitely keeping my eyes out on it now. Will probably wait to read a few reviews or see a gameplay video or two before I dive into the purchase; but it definitely looks intriguing.

• kingwestkingwest Member UncommonPosts: 9

The crafting system and setting and the co-op multiplayer thats coming in the game but still looks good for singleplayer, and the "Krater utilizes randomized dungeons and events to keep things fresh and interesting" bit cause the thing i hate most is when i get bored real quiek but what realy gets me is the oldskool style of this game "top view" Krater utilizes randomized dungeons and events to keep things fresh and interesting im a big fan of the original fallout and x-com games.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Krater is a unique spin on the action RPG genre.

It offers Holy trinity gameplay..

Its a unique mechanic that we have yet to see in the genre (or at least I havent).

From the artsyle to the music the game looks like an amazing experience.

I would love to get a copy if I could, been a fan of A-RPGs for over a decade and this looks like it could keep me busy for a very long time.

3 class squad, Post apoc/sci-fi, Crafting and unlimited gameplay? YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Death will set you free? Sounds like my kind of game.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

I <3 Permadeath. I also love sharks and anything fat is nice and squishy in my opinion so that's a plus. Post apocalyptic RPG is my homeboy and we get down with our jive lingo. If I had one word to describe why I deserve this key it would be "awesomeness" and if I had 4 words it would be "because you love me." Just saying throw me a key and I will own some Krater and love it like my own.

• SauroxSaurox Member UncommonPosts: 17

This is def a unique world for it's genre. I was watching one of my favorite youtubers play this game and it looked really interesting controlling 3 different characters which all have their own unique roles and skills. It would be an honor to play this and it even it has multiplayer which is lovely to grab some friends in on the fun!

• Ra9narokRa9narok Member UncommonPosts: 20

Old-school RPG elements combined with a permadeath level of difficulty is a formula for a realy challenging and engaging world to explore and fight for. Co-op and crafting is something that will spice up the whole formula to an unpredictable level of replayability. All that mixed up in an post-apocalyptic world is something that You just have to experience.

I would LOVE to join the ranks of the Krater explorers.

• BumpieBumpie Member UncommonPosts: 1

Sci Fi Post Apocalyptic world but with some personality and color to it.  Throw in some crafting that actually matters and elements of RPG and RTS

Permanent death, extreme exploration and modifiable charactesr/abilities all sounds pretty amazing.

Not to mention, seems the developers plan to remain extremely active in not only bug fixes but adding additional content as well. 

• rickastillorickastillo Member Posts: 12

I love indies titles so much, sometimes more even than a AAA title from a big rich company, i watched videos of this game since a friend told me about it when he could managed to enter the alpha test, the squad system and the post apocalipse feel that it gives, and on top of that i love this genre so much. The fact that the company will update it later (introducing coop and others new features) make me want to play it the most, that means the developers wont move to the next proyect until they feel that they´d filled the gamer/consumer needs and suggestions to improve it. I'm in!!

• The_emberThe_ember Member UncommonPosts: 56

Let's get this straight, it's a post-apocalyptic game set in the land of IKEA and Vikings and Minecraft. 

Vikings.

And IKEA.

Minecraft.

Vi-KEA-craft?

Yeah I want to play.

• quidomquidom Member UncommonPosts: 17

I really like the setting. It has a different feel than most of those Fantasy clones. The premise and details of the classes has defintely piqued my interest!

My head smells like buzzing

• tonbokuntonbokun Member Posts: 3

hi

I'm a simple player, like thousands of people on this site. there is nothing special in me but i can say that  I'm really a huge fan of the game genre, and I was looking for something like this that combines my favorite genre and a unique style for a long time

ty in advance,I will not lose hope until the last

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

It looks interesting,   It may have that  diablo-esce Feel but  without the overdone hype.    Plus postapolytpic rarely done  wrong. 

It..Burns..

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

I've loved post-apocalyptic games since Gamma World first came out. Krater doesn't seem to have pinochle playing cockroaches, but then again, I've never liked pinochle. (Or cockroaches.)

It does look like it has humor and sarcasm. With that in mind,  I'm both intrigued and apprehensive about what is beneath those gasmasks.

As to the crafting system, the 'pieced together from salvage' look of the gear makes me think the crafting system might just be really interesting and fun. I saw duct tape in one of their crafting screenshots so Bodgers, SCAers, and Red Green fans rejoice. :p

I'd really like to find out just how cool this game might be. Michael and the rest of MMORPG, you are the ones that can help me answer that question. So in a post-apocalyptic spirit appropriate to this game, on bended (probably broken) knee in the morning haze (either biohazard or toxic fog), and before I collapse from radiation poisoning, I say,

"Please send me a key for Krater.".

If you do, I'll even let you name my character, so long as it's something that won't get me kicked out when they go multiplayer. :)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• MarXonMarXon Member Posts: 22

As a Swede, I really love the subtle (or maybe not so subtle) inside-jokes for Swedish people.  Everything from funny Swedish frases ("Hallå, eller!?") to references to old Swedish children programs (Åberg 72 "Previously belonging to imaginary friend Malcolm"). My friend has the game, and we spent an whole evening looking for such "easter eggs" and laughing over them. It's pretty brilliant. Watch out for the Brölbjörn.

• pheudonpheudon Member Posts: 1

What i like the most is that it is developed by a small team in sweden which almost always means it will be good, plus i am a fellow swede and the game is set in sweden, nuff' said

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37

i love post apocalyptic settings. books, movies, games you name it.

i like how the game feels old school, while still being fresh, and original.

love the art style.

i love squad based RPGs. not enough of them.

• EveJunkieEveJunkie Member UncommonPosts: 21

While the setting is intresting I think the crafting system and randomised content appeal to me most, we really need to see more randomly generated worlds.
    I'm not sure how successful I'll be controlling 3 chars at once... I'm likely to forget what I'm doing and end up running one off a cliff while the other two die horribly to some pathetic npc's when I'm distracted. Should be a giggle!

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Everything about this game appeals to me

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• scabbedangelscabbedangel Member UncommonPosts: 117

I think one of the more interesting aspects is the semi-permanance of your characters. They can suffer permanant injuries, be replaced by being inferior, or simply take too many beatings and just die. It''s an unusual mechanic in a genre where characters are usually very long term.

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

What appeals to me? MUTANT MOOSE ON A RAMPAGE! ;-)

Seriously, I think this reminds me quite fondly of good old Fallout Tactics which was great (even if everybody else says it wasn't :-P)

And from the looks of it this game actually features a highly detailed and yes, quirky community giving this world just the right colour to feel at home... and have a drink with that mutant moose at the bar! ;-)

• LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by MarXon

As a Swede, I really love the subtle (or maybe not so subtle) inside-jokes for Swedish people.  Everything from funny Swedish frases ("Hallå, eller!?") to references to old Swedish children programs (Åberg 72 "Previously belonging to imaginary friend Malcolm"). My friend has the game, and we spent an whole evening looking for such "easter eggs" and laughing over them. It's pretty brilliant. Watch out for the Brölbjörn.

As a Dane I actually get some of the 'Swedish jokes' and I must admit I find it very charming. I tried the beta a little and I fell in love with the setting. We loot the cash in 'kroners' (swedish and danish value, the 'krone'), which gave me a huge smile.

I don't think I ever saw an NPC without a gasmask, which was very realistic and still extremely peculiar. I mean, this is the first game I have played where I never see NPC faces!

So I like the game for the setting mostly. because this setting is so different, interesting and humorous.

Brölbjörn indeed :D

• ezjay1975ezjay1975 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Reminds me of some of my Favorite games ( Fallout 1&2) with a little Borderlands thrown in. Plus since i'm taking a break from MMO's for a bit it would be nice to have something with a old school quirky sense of humor. The co-op play looks very promising also.

This discussion has been closed.