Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 is fundamentally broken

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

In an action Rpg you clear dungeons, waves and waves of enemies for the chance for loot to drop to strengthen your character.

Usually you would need to sink a bit of time into the game to farm for gear upgrades to clear the content.

IN passed games it was always possible to play solo or in a group, work through the game at your own pace and finally finish the content.

In Diablo 3 it is impossible to clear content without buying other players drops that were found one to three acts ahead of you.

In Diablo 2, you could progress completely on your own, it was a grind but the gear you recieved was good enough to clear content. 

Lets say you have a character in Inferno difficulty act 1. This character can farm all day, everyday and never, ever get the correct gear to do act 2... This is a broken system.

This turns the game into a gold farming game and forces players to use a trading system/AH (something that should be optional btw) just to progress in content.

I know many people have no problem with this. They shut up, farm the millions of gold and buy gear that they shouldnt have seen until Act 3 or 4.

THe problem is this takes away from one of the best aspects of a A-Rpg, the loot finding!!!! If you're only playing to see your gold value go up you're missing out on the what makes this genre great.

TLDR Version: You can't find the gear to progress in the game so Diablo 3 is broken.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Read it. It was a waste of my time. You do not need to buy gear to finish the game. Lots of people have done it. After the 1.03 patch you will need to buy gear even less. After they get done nerfing some of the epic mob powers, it's coming, you will need to buy gear even less that that.

Sure they did, By skipping all the elite packs and using exploits in a group to just kill bosses.

That's not what i call clearing the game. Diablo 3 is all about the Rare, champion and elite monsters. If you skip them all your doing is playing boss rush mode.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

I agree with the OP

To clear act 2 inferno you'll need to buy gear that usually drop in act 3, from people that exploited their way there.

NICE!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Read it. It was a waste of my time. You do not need to buy gear to finish the game. Lots of people have done it. After the 1.03 patch you will need to buy gear even less. After they get done nerfing some of the epic mob powers, it's coming, you will need to buy gear even less that that.

Sure they did, By skipping all the elite packs and using exploits in a group to just kill bosses.

That's not what i call clearing the game. Diablo 3 is all about the Rare, champion and elite monsters. If you skip them all your doing is playing boss rush mode.

I agree that Diablo in its current state is kinda broken. It encourages skipping rares and elites to go and farm vases/chests in the later acts.

However, if you had read 1.03 patch notes, you would've noticed that they are listening to all the feedback. Come patch 1.03 items with item level 63 (the highest item level) will drop on ALL inferno acts including Act 1. This means that you will have the change to get the best items even on Act 1 inferno. Items with item level 61 and 62 will also drop from Act 3 Hell onwards. Currently ilevel 61 drop from Inferno onwards whereas ilevel 62 drop from Act 2 onwards.

They are also tuning down Act 2 Inferno because in its current state it's just broken especially if you don't buy from the AH.

Bottom line is we have had 1k of these threads on the official forums and Blizzard are finally fixing it.

Read this > http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5055288/Patch_103_Design_Preview-06_06_2012#blog

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

I personally skipped some elite packs. There are certain combinations that are extremely hard and I'm just not that good. Other people have cleared all four acts of inferno. I don't use exploits, ever. Inferno is hard, damn hard. It's meant to be. It needs some adjustment but what it will be is nerfed all to hell because some people will complain until it's a faceroll. By the time they're done you'll be complaing it fundamentally broken because it's too easy. Count on it.

Dude the gear you get by playing through act 1 inferno will have you three shot my normal mobs in the beginning of the act 2.

Doesn't matter how much you farm for items you will need to use the AH to progress and this turns the game into a gold farm.

A good example i killed Butcher with 5 stacks of neph buff and switch to 200% MF gear before killing him 6 times this morning. Best 1h weapon i get was a 300 dps piece of crap. Go ahead and use a 300 dps weapon on a champion mb in act 2. I dare you. Even with the best armor they will take forever to die.

We should have the option to progress in the game just by farming drops and crafting gear/gems. It shouldnt be easy but it should be doable.

Currently it is not unless you want to skip all mobs and go right to the way too easy boss encounters.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

I completely get that I am in no means the master of class builds & gearing....but c'mon, its D3..is kind of hard to REALLY gimp your toon.

With that said, I'm only in Nightmare difficulty, and I've had to do a full top to bottom AH upgrade on all my gear on 2 occasions (didn't pay more than 5k per item)  to get through some champion monster encounters.  This isn't even Hell mode, much-less Inferno.

To the point of the OP, I think the ability to purchase AH items is "baked in the cake" regarding defeating monsters & encounters.  The difficulty built into the monsters takes in to effect your ability to purchase better gear on the AH....which backs up the argument the OP makes. 

Whether thats a good idea or not is up for debate, but it most certianly is more difficult getting through the game with your own loot drops.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

It's only broken from the perspective of a player that wanted to play a loot oriented hack 'n slash game. If you want to play the AH game (and a lot of people do) or if your Blizzard, the game is fine.

Personally I agree and think it's a shame the focus of the actual gameplay is reduced in order to shift the focus to a dynamic that is outside of the game. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the AH was in the game?

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

So a broken game will get even more broken.. ha way to go blizzard.. Even still The way i see it is they messed up from the get go, Witch is why i never even beat ch 1.  It could have been an awesome game for everyone who liked diablo but they catered and ruined it for alot of people, Not to metaion the expliots the loot system in general.. And for me the simple fact that characters dont even use the weapons, they are just there for stat boosts and looks.

Originally posted by fivoroth

I agree that Diablo in its current state is kinda broken. It encourages skipping rares and elites to go and farm vases/chests in the later acts.

However, if you had read 1.03 patch notes, you would've noticed that they are listening to all the feedback. Come patch 1.03 items with item level 63 (the highest item level) will drop on ALL inferno acts including Act 1. This means that you will have the change to get the best items even on Act 1 inferno. Items with item level 61 and 62 will also drop from Act 3 Hell onwards. Currently ilevel 61 drop from Inferno onwards whereas ilevel 62 drop from Act 2 onwards.

They are also tuning down Act 2 Inferno because in its current state it's just broken especially if you don't buy from the AH.

Bottom line is we have had 1k of these threads on the official forums and Blizzard are finally fixing it.

Read this > http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5055288/Patch_103_Design_Preview-06_06_2012#blog

I know they are working on it. Im happy about this but I dont know if they will beable to adjust drops in such a way that you will get the correct items to progress. Hell they would need to create a new tier.

Right now the shit that drops in Act 1 inferno is stuff we should see in Act 4 hell. This would leave a gap in progression.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

D3 is broken in many, many ways.

D2 1.13C+Plug Y > D3

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Zekiah

D2 1.13C+Plug Y > D3

You can't use PlugY in battlenet and vanilla D2 single player ain't fun.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

D2 1.13C+Plug Y > D3

SP > Battle.net

No lag. No bots. No spam. And all the benefits.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

D2 1.13C+Plug Y > D3

SP > Battle.net

There's no lag in Bnet :D Besides no PvP in single player. For me D2 was all about the farming l33t items and then PvP :D

@Z3R01, they are also nerfing Act 2 a bit so you will be fine to progress :D

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

D2 1.13C+Plug Y > D3

SP > Battle.net

There's no lag

in Bnet :D Besides no PvP in single player. For me D2 was all about the farming l33t items and then PvP :D

D2 1.13C+Plug Y > D3

SP > Battle.net

There's no lag in Bnet :D Besides no PvP in single player. For me D2 was all about the farming l33t items and then PvP :D

Lol, no lag, good stuff there.

Meh, don't care much for PvP in D2 but if that's your thing then you're better off with BNet, that lag-free PvP server rofl.

I personally skipped some elite packs. There are certain combinations that are extremely hard and I'm just not that good. Other people have cleared all four acts of inferno. I don't use exploits, ever. Inferno is hard, damn hard. It's meant to be. It needs some adjustment but what it will be is nerfed all to hell because some people will complain until it's a faceroll. By the time they're done you'll be complaing it fundamentally broken because it's too easy. Count on it.

Dude the gear you get by playing through act 1 inferno will have you three shot my normal mobs in the beginning of the act 2.

Doesn't matter how much you farm for items you will need to use the AH to progress and this turns the game into a gold farm.

A good example i killed Butcher with 5 stacks of neph buff and switch to 200% MF gear before killing him 6 times this morning. Best 1h weapon i get was a 300 dps piece of crap. Go ahead and use a 300 dps weapon on a champion mb in act 2. I dare you. Even with the best armor they will take forever to die.

We should have the option to progress in the game just by farming drops and crafting gear/gems. It shouldnt be easy but it should be doable.

Currently it is not unless you want to skip all mobs and go right to the way too easy boss encounters.

I had a better  weapon than that by the time I finished hell. Boss mobs drop crap especially on repeats. Elite mobs drop better gear. Don't farm butcher farm elites.

A butcher run has you farming 3-4 floors before u kill the boss. this lets you kill quite a few elite packs for the neph buffs.

I would never just go for the boss without Neph buffs. you kill 6-8 elite packs leading to the boss, with 5 neph stacks you then switch to MF gear before the kill and you get + 10 blues and 4+ yellows everytimes. Sadly the gear is mostly Teir 12. Crap you needed in Act 4 hell mode.

All Blizzard needs to do is adjust the drops slightly and i wouldnt be here posting frustrated, I would be playing. I played D2 for 10 years on and off and never got frustrated its been a month and I already want to smash my D3 collectors edition.

• FrostillicusFrostillicus Member Posts: 16

Z3R01, look up the phrase "anectodal evidence".  I got literally 3 yellow weapons last night that were all over 300 dps in Act 3 Hell, ALL of them bows (I'm a DH).  Before you say "but I said 1-handed", one of them was and bows and xbows for just as good as 1 handers for DH's because you can still equip a quiver.

the problem with games that have a large luck factor is that everyone who gets unlucky thinks the system is broken.

Originally posted by Frostillicus

Z3R01, look up the phrase "anectodal evidence".  I got literally 3 yellow weapons last night that were all over 300 dps in Act 3 Hell, ALL of them bows (I'm a DH).  Before you say "but I said 1-handed", one of them was and bows and xbows for just as good as 1 handers for DH's because you can still equip a quiver.

the problem with games that have a large luck factor is that everyone who gets unlucky thinks the system is broken.

Always someone that gets lucky. Getting a rare item is a nice feeling and it should be rare. But to get basic items just to progress shouldnt feel like winning the lottery.

I dont want legendaries, I dont even want Rares with perfect stats I want decent gear so I can survive more than three hits on my Barb without spending 20 million in gold off the AH on Upgrades.

Good news and bad news. The elite drops are getting fixed. The boss drops are getting nerfed. After 1.03 bosses will drop half the yellows. I just picked up another puzzle ring in nightmare at the Bastion dungeons on my Barb. Don't hate me becuse I'm lucky, image Hang in there it'll come.

Nightmare? So you're not in inferno?

Please tell me you're in Inferno with one of your characters.

If not you have no idea what people in my situation are going through.

its been said time and time again its impossible to gear yourself through drops and crafting to take on inferno above act 1.

The gear doesn't exist, to take that kind of damage. 

Damn dude even I got legendaries and good rares in modes Normal through Hell. Those modes are great you can play without the AH and progress.

In Inferno you will be banging your head against a wall for a very long time or atleast until its balanced.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I had a better  weapon than that by the time I finished hell. Boss mobs drop crap especially on repeats. Elite mobs drop better gear. Don't farm butcher farm elites.

A butcher run has you farming 3-4 floors before u kill the boss. this lets you kill quite a few elite packs for the neph buffs.

I would never just go for the boss without Neph buffs. you kill 6-8 elite packs leading to the boss, with 5 neph stacks you then switch to MF gear before the kill and you get + 10 blues and 4+ yellows everytimes. Sadly the gear is mostly Teir 12. Crap you needed in Act 4 hell mode.

All Blizzard needs to do is adjust the drops slightly and i wouldnt be here posting frustrated, I would be playing. I played D2 for 10 years on and off and never got frustrated its been a month and I already want to smash my D3 collectors edition.

Good news and bad news. The elite drops are getting fixed. The boss drops are getting nerfed. After 1.03 bosses will drop half the yellows. I just picked up another puzzle ring in nightmare at the Bastion dungeons on my Barb. Don't hate me becuse I'm lucky, image Hang in there it'll come.

lol replace the word yellow with the colour purple and hey presto you have the same issues and solution announcements blizzard have been issuing for WOW since WOTLK.  They just have no idea how to break the cycle.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I have too agree, the first difficulties are pretty easy, but when you get too Inferno it feels like you can't keep up with elite mobs.

I made it to Act 2 and just keep face palming because the mobs just rape me and I can't seem to get any gear to stop it from happening.  I finally broke down and farmed non elites for days to get enough gold to buy new items from the AH.

I don't think Blizzard did it intentionally but it is broken.

I've had the opposite experience.  It's been a long time so I'm sure I have the details slightly off, but when I played D2, some friends and I played through normal and nightmare, getting to level 80ish, then got raped in Hell.  At that point it was obvious we had two choices - farm for gear or buy it from others (actually it was a bit more problematic than that - if you didn't know what the one and only Hell build for your character was from level 1, you were gonna have to re-roll completely, but that's a seperate issue).  We didn't want to deal with shady farmers and duppers, so we farmed for items for a week or two and got bored and quit.

so ... what am I missing?  To me having the AH in D3 seems identical to D2, except way more convenient.

Originally posted by Frostillicus

I've had the opposite experience.  It's been a long time so I'm sure I have the details slightly off, but when I played D2, some friends and I played through normal and nightmare, getting to level 80ish, then got raped in Hell.  At that point it was obvious we had two choices - farm for gear or buy it from others (actually it was a bit more problematic than that - if you didn't know what the one and only Hell build for your character was from level 1, you were gonna have to re-roll completely, but that's a seperate issue).  We didn't want to deal with shady farmers and duppers, so we farmed for items for a week or two and got bored and quit.

so ... what am I missing?  To me having the AH in D3 seems identical to D2, except way more convenient.

Oh I know D2 was way more unforgiving. You could build your character wrong and need to start over. But over the years re-leveling characters kept the game alive for many people. 

Hell was difficult i agree but you still had the option to farm for gear. You could put along solo or in a group and get upgrades eventually.

IN D3 its impossible. You farm and farm and farm and all you have to show for it is Gold. So you take the gold and buy gear that drops much later in the game. Basically robbing yourself of that excitment you would have of finding it yourself.

THis is my issue. If i wanted to I should have the option to work on my character and progress with drops i found. Even if i have to replay acts of content a hundred times.  Its not possible atm.

THis is my issue. If i wanted to I should have the option to work on my character and progress with drops i found. Even if i have to replay acts of content a hundred times.  Its not possible atm.

Ok I see ... I had thought that Inferno was for level capped characters, and I guess I had assumed that all drops would be level 60 and that level 60 drops are level 60 drops.  But if I understand you correctly, you are saying that in Inferno, there is Act 1 Level 60 gear, Act 2 Level 60 gear, etc., and that a character in the best possible Act 1 Level 60 gear will get no where in Act 2 ...

That does sound fundamentally broken ... I wonder how their internal testing teams missed it considering they didn't have access to the AH.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Serenes

I have too agree, the first difficulties are pretty easy, but when you get too Inferno it feels like you can't keep up with elite mobs.

I made it to Act 2 and just keep face palming because the mobs just rape me and I can't seem to get any gear to stop it from happening.  I finally broke down and farmed non elites for days to get enough gold to buy new items from the AH.

Yes, Blizzard did it intentionally. Blizzard wants people to use the AH and then then the RMAH. They make money from it.

Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Originally posted by Serenes

Yes, Blizzard did it intentionally. Blizzard wants people to use the AH and then then the RMAH. They make money from it.

well at least we know tinfoil hats still drop