Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will I do after two months?

Comments

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by cooper85

I hate leveling.

Wtf am I supposed to do now. I've ran a couple hundred battle groumds, and spent 40 hours in WvWvW. i'm now asking myself "Are you getting bored." As soon as that happens it's all down hill from there. 

I'm not the type to be filling hearts and chasing DEs. I'm not really the questing type.

Ok, lets itemize what the OP doesn't like:

1) Leveling

2) Questing

3) DEs

4) Hearts

5(honourable mention))Gets bored w/ PVP

So if you are not a completionist and you don't like leveling, questing, World events, and anticipate being quickly bored by PvP... What exactly do you do/enjoy in other games? Grinding out gear? Doing the same raid for the 5 millionth time to try and get that 0.001% drop that you want? Roleplaying? Say it is none of those.

If you eliminate leveling, questing, PVP, world events, grinding gear, raiding, and roleplaying... what the hell is left?

I think you need to seriously stop and take a look at what you actually want to do in a game... Then go find a game that lets you do it.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Quit MMO's, GW2 has more to offer then any other MMO, if thats not enough for you to not get bored, you really should try some other games or even try real life.

Or just enjoy the 2 months and move on, with the knowledge that whenever you want you can return to GW2 because there is no sub.

I kind of have to agree with those sentiments.   And while a person is at it, they should stop eating.   I mean, let's face it, there's not that much variety in our diets.     Maybe 60 core plant, grain and animal elements...    May as well just give up eating...

Or breathing.   let's face it, every breath is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% pretty much everything else.  And of that 1%, freaking Argon takes up 90% of it...   I mean, why bother?   One breath is virtually identical to any other...

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Kuppa

What do ya know, its Mr. cooper!!

So, for me its simple. Im a pvpier and this game is essentially perfect for me. I will pvp a lot, probably past the two month mark....maybe around the 2 year mark image

You see, in pvp games you do the same thing over and over. If the game is good you don't get bored because there is the human element involved, so you will never see the same thing twice. Besides the fact that there is constant progression in the form of your skill, its awesome to notice how you get better with every passing match.

Examples are simple: FPS games, SC2, LoL(mobas in general), even GW1, ect...you do the same things over and over technically. But in reality its never really the same because you are playing agaisnt other people and progression never ends because you can always get better.

Now, if you don't like structured balanced pvp then you might have a problem. Because as others have mentioned its a themepark mmo and pve there always has a well defined start and end. It doesn't have a super compeling immersive pvp in WvW but it might cut it for some that need a focus and goal or reasons to pvp.

I ask of you Mr. cooper, what will you do after two montsh in TSW?? I ask because I know you are a big TSW fan. I must say I see no future in TSW's pvp, seems like it wasn't really made with pvp in mind. Game design decisions in that game are more catered toward pve stuff. But still its very much a themepark mmo too.

This is similar perception of the game that I have. I also mentioned that for me, it is similar to SC 2 which I really love, but I cant play it several hours/days in a row. I play it when I need a break from MMO I am playing.

While I consider it a nice refreshing back up game, I would probably be done with MMOs if it was the future of MMO gaming.

I prefer combination of Sandbox and Themepark (just like ArcheAge) with both vertical and horizontal progression as a main MMO for which I am willing to pay subscription. I would not pay subscription to GW just like I would not pay subscription to SC 2 or BF 3, even though they are great games, imo.

I am kind of bored of the level of gear grind in WoW since they really took it to the highest level imo, but I would certainly appreciate if there was something to chase in an MMO besides cosmetic rewards and achievs.I know it is not popular on these forums, but I kind of miss the carrot in this game :).

Also it is nice to have something more meaningful to do in the game. Take some friends and build a village or castle, grow your own trees, crops, fight with others over the land and property with longterm effects on the environment. That is an MMO to pay subs for.

GW is more like FPS or RTS. Play it every now and then which you can thanks to no subs, but playing it on regular basis for years is not even remotely imaginable for me.

It is just my subjective perception of the game.

You see for me structured competitive pvp is something meaningful to do in a game. I prefer to compete with other players and actually get better than to grow trees or a castle. Its like you said everyone likes something different.

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60

I bet arenanet loves the fanbois telling other customers to quit using their product.  That will surely earn some brownie points right there.  Think of all the not-future-customers that could be informed to "just quit".  Really? That's your plan, Ray?

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game.

stopped reading here. you're just trollin for attention.

and the saddest part is all the troll threads get the most replies and discourse, while good threads get buried.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by iFeelTremors

If You are a PvE Player You shouldn't be even interrested in GW2. Did You read about the game? ITS PvP FOCUSED GAME. I still cant see a reason ANet implemented any PvE in it.

The PVE experience of Guild Wars 2 is the best ever seen in a themepark MMO and one of the main "attractions" of the game is the way they change PVE gaming.....

The PVP experience is awesome as well, I dare say PVE and PVP are two separate games in one game, although that doesn't make GW2 PVE worse.

See this is where I get confused, you have one camp that states this is a PvP game first and foremost, then you have another camp that states it is a PvE game first and foremost. It can't be both first and foremost :P, so which is it, that is a Poll I would like to see, what players perceptions are of this game, PvP or PvE.

If this is just PvP with a little PvE to keep the PvEers happy you won't get the number of people playing that they have stated they want. I am not saying what it is or is not so before the fanbois or haters jump all over this post, I am completely nuetral, just trying to get a handle on what the perceptions are of this game.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game. My skeptcism stems from playing the competition.  I just don't know if the high fantasy setting could draw me. It may even be a turn off. It's been beat to death.  

Let's say I make it past the high fantasy setting, because it's done so well, so now I'm leveling. There I run into another turn off.  Going from 1-80 just seems pointless. I hate leveling. Eight toons in WoW (high fantasy) Three toons in RIFT (high fantasy), one toon in swtor.  I'm sick of it.

Let's say I make it past the setting and the standard leveling, again because setting is  done so well plus I can level while pvping. 2 Weeks later I'm at cap. I continue to run battle grounds and WvWvW, much like I have been for the past two weeks. I'm having a good time.

One month rolls by since I've been at cap. Wtf am I supposed to do now. I've ran a couple hundred battle groumds, and spent 40 hours in WvWvW. i'm now asking myself "Are you getting bored."" As soon as that happens it's all down hill from there. 

I'm not the type to be filling hearts and chasing DEs. I'm not really the questing type, plus I wouldn't be rewarded with anything meaningful for rerunning DEs. No gear, no AA, just pets and cosmetic gear. 

I just don't see how this game could be fun (that's what it's about, not progression) for longer than two months tops. 

To fully appreciate GW2, you have to ask yourself if you consider exploration as content or if you enjoy completing content with no tangible reward; only intrinsic satsifaction.  Explorable mode dungeons are the closest thing to endgame content GW2 will offer you.  Reportedly, these are very challenging, so they should keep you busy for a quite a while; however, aside from completing more difficult content, you really won't be doing much else at the level cap that you weren't already doing at level 1.  Anet's mantra is that endgame begins at level 1.  If you ask me, this is just a clever marketing ploy to appeal to an MMORPG audience that they did not go after for GW1, because I don't think GW2 offers anything in place of endgame raiding to make endgame progression viable.  

You also have to ask yourself how much you value PvP.  If you enjoy playing games such as CS and TF2 competitively, you're going to want to check out GW2 because Guild Wars PvP has always carried a sort-of e-sport feel.

Originally posted by sonoggi

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game.

stopped reading here. you're just trollin for attention.

and the saddest part is all the troll threads get the most replies and discourse, while good threads get buried.

I think he meant to say he sees a lot of themepark here. Which is true, but that counts for all mmos that are out.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

You move on. The only games which hold me for longer then two months are good multiplayer oriented shooters and at times strategy games, multiplayer oriented RTSes.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game. My skeptcism stems from playing the competition.  I just don't know if the high fantasy setting could draw me. It may even be a turn off. It's been beat to death.  

Let's say I make it past the high fantasy setting, because it's done so well, so now I'm leveling. There I run into another turn off.  Going from 1-80 just seems pointless. I hate leveling. Eight toons in WoW (high fantasy) Three toons in RIFT (high fantasy), one toon in swtor.  I'm sick of it.

Let's say I make it past the setting and the standard leveling, again because setting is  done so well plus I can level while pvping. 2 Weeks later I'm at cap. I continue to run battle grounds and WvWvW, much like I have been for the past two weeks. I'm having a good time.

One month rolls by since I've been at cap. Wtf am I supposed to do now. I've ran a couple hundred battle groumds, and spent 40 hours in WvWvW. i'm now asking myself "Are you getting bored."" As soon as that happens it's all down hill from there. 

I'm not the type to be filling hearts and chasing DEs. I'm not really the questing type, plus I wouldn't be rewarded with anything meaningful for rerunning DEs. No gear, no AA, just pets and cosmetic gear. 

I just don't see how this game could be fun (that's what it's about, not progression) for longer than two months tops. 

Quit MMO's, GW2 has more to offer then any other MMO, if thats not enough for you to not get bored, you really should try some other games or even try real life.

Or just enjoy the 2 months and move on, with the knowledge that whenever you want you can return to GW2 because there is no sub.

Gotta go with Lord Bachus, not the questing type huh, then why are you playing RPG's of any kind? That's a staple of the RPG worlds. Also, you might wanna not mislead the public when you say Chasing DE's because DE's happen in GW2 whether you are standing there or not, the world moves on without you, that's one of the best things about the game, its alive.

And finally, really, that's all you play games for is for the gear progression in the end game? If that's the case you might as well sick with WoW, SWTOR, LOTRO because thats what those games offer. 

I read your post history.  You love The Secret World.  Great.  I downloaded the beta myself and will be trying it this weekend.   I hope I love it.  It'll give me more MMO options on a daily-play basis. 

However, I also noticed you're unremittingly hostile towards GW2 and you're not actually very familiar with the game.

Let me just point out that TSW/GW2 MMOs are not necessarily a zero-sum game when it comes to play...    You can play both and you don't have to try and bash one to support the other.

Like I said, I'm hoping TSW will capture my interest.   I have no problem playing two MMOs.   There have been times, like when I played Fallen Earth I've have two or three MMOs on my plate.   Where I was enjoying them all to one extent or another.  It's not like marriage where you're supposed to limit your activities, as it were, to just your spouse (unless, of course, you're both polyamorous). 

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

If You are a PvE Player You shouldn't be even interrested in GW2. Did You read about the game? ITS PvP FOCUSED GAME. I still cant see a reason ANet implemented any PvE in it.

The PVE experience of Guild Wars 2 is the best ever seen in a themepark MMO and one of the main "attractions" of the game is the way they change PVE gaming.....

The PVP experience is awesome as well, I dare say PVE and PVP are two separate games in one game, although that doesn't make GW2 PVE worse.

See this is where I get confused, you have one camp that states this is a PvP game first and foremost, then you have another camp that states it is a PvE game first and foremost. It can't be both first and foremost :P, so which is it, that is a Poll I would like to see, what players perceptions are of this game, PvP or PvE.

If this is just PvP with a little PvE to keep the PvEers happy you won't get the number of people playing that they have stated they want. I am not saying what it is or is not so before the fanbois or haters jump all over this post, I am completely nuetral, just trying to get a handle on what the perceptions are of this game.

It IS both... so for PVPers it is primarily a PVP game and for PVEers it is primarily a PVE game... to make matters more complicated, they have a fully fleshed out World PVP system(a la DAOC) and a full structured tournament system(arena/MOBA).

They are trying their best to cater to both camps. But if you follow anet you know GW1 was mainly a pvp game and many of the design decisions in GW1 pass over to GW2 with new ones that mainly are there for pvp. They know that the sustainabilty of their game lies in the pvp. In other words, I would vote for pvp image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is really up to you, there are plenty of things like running dungeons in explorable mode, craft, getting ranks and cool looking gear, or you can make an alt... Or you can take a break until the expansion hits, it is fine as well.

With no monthly fees taking long breaks really ain´t an issue.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

They are trying their best to cater to both camps. But if you follow anet you know GW1 was mainly a pvp game and many of the design decisions in GW1 pass over to GW2 with new ones that mainly are there for pvp. They know that the sustainabilty of their game lies in the pvp. In other words, I would vote for pvp image

I still play GW1 lol, and love it although my guild has more or less fallen apart at this point so I am just running around trying to get achievements.

Originally posted by Ikeda
    This game is B2p, so who the hell cares? 60 bucks for 2 months sounds like your getting your monies worth. Better than spending 60 on a platform title and getting 10-15 hrs of game. People cry on here about some of the dumbest stuff.

Yeah.    I remember Jade Empire.  18 hours from start to finish.   Half of which was running/combat padding.   

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

The irony of the OP.

The irony of the post history.

The irony that a certain game actually has SWTOR in it far more than GW 2.

Y'all reallly want to know what posts he's literally been believing and the ones he hasn't.

Like I said when I envy something I will believe and hope the misinformation is more correct so my love outshines it.

Shit is pathetic, take care and enjoy your lives.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Quit MMO and start playing you FPS games again.

MMORPG is about leveling and developing your char, if you dont like it you are wrong here.  PvP was always just a small part of all mmos and only make sence if you can improve your char with it.

Sure there are some games where pvp is the main game like eve. But its only for a few games who spend their life in that games, no AAA MMO will center on that, couse most gamers are causuals and they pay the same money as mmo-geeks.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

What will you be doing in TSW after two months?

/shrug

Both games seem tight to me. Think those that can appreciate both are going to be the real winners at the end of the day. Such a great year for gaming.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by Valkaern

I'm pretty sure that if you're not interested long term in PvP, WvW,  obtaining rare skins from PvE or crafting, or levelling multiple characters, then there won't be much that would suit you. Especially as you hate levelling - in GW2 levelling is pretty much playing the game rather than something you do to get to another version of the game as in raid based MMOs.

While there is a ton of horizontal progression, and apparently tons of little things to work on for your character(s), and ArenaNet has a pretty good track record of releasing new content and updates at a decent speed, unless you're in to that, (or the PvP and WvW), which you're apparently not, why bother? We know there's no raiding end game progression or other secret hidden game waiting for you. It is what it is, you'll be disappointed if you expect something that it's not.

It's probably best not to risk it if you have doubts and if a purchase like this is something that your budget demands you consider this carefully. 

It seems more suited to those of us that have done the gear grind and are OK with leaving it behind and hunting for rare armor/weapon skins/dyes on a quest for the coolest looking character possible (or multiple outfits thereof) while dipping in to sPvP, WvW or re-exploring the world and dungeons instead.

It won't be for everyone, obviously. And according to the things you list as not enjoying, I'd say there's not much reason for you to look to GW2 as a long term hobby - it simply offers things you're clearly not interested in.

I for one wouldn't try to sell it to you, it just doesn't sound like a good match at all.

Get this man a job!  When i sold cars and certain haggle oriented people would walk in, and say "I want to see this car" I'd walk them out to the lost and right past it. They would say hey, I'd reply "That's too much. Let's look at this one." hahah Worked like a charm that summer.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by Mari2k

Quit MMO and start playing you FPS games again.

MMORPG is about leveling and developing your char, if you dont like it you are wrong here.  PvP was always just a small part of all mmos and only make sence if you can improve your char with it.

Sure there are some games where pvp is the main game like eve. But its only for a few games who spend their life in that games, no AAA MMO will center on that, couse most gamers are causuals and they pay the same money as mmo-geeks.

There are so many things wrong with your statement.  First and foremost, there are plenty of games that focus mainly on PvP, especially as endgame progression.  Eve isn't even the best example as that game offers a wide variety of activities at endgame.  Warhammer and DAoC offer lower quality PvE content, but no one plays those games for the PvE.  DAoC attempted to implement a raid-centric design with Trials of Atlantis and it almost killed the game outright.

The original Guild Wars was built with e-sport arena matches and guild vs guild competitions in mind.  The PvE experience was just a linear story progression similar to Phantasy Star Online.  Anet never intended to make long-term PvE progression viable because it would destroy balance in PvP.  This is why nearly all PvE activity in GW1 is limited to grinding for titles and other fluff items.  Anet preaches an "anti-grind" philosophy, but that's only because PvP games don't really need a grind to be compelling, assuming you play the game for the PvP.  PvP has that human element where your experience on the battlefield differs each and every time you play because different players are there.  PvE dungeons and raid encounters follow a script that, once mastered, is easily exploited and conquered.  Developers are forced to pump out more PvE content to keep the playerbase chasing that carrot because once the playerbase has mastered the current content and has acquired every piece of gear, there's little reason to continue playing because there's no variation to the static PvE encounters.

In terms of developing your character, GW2 isn't even the best example.  Considering you get 90% of your major abilities at around level 7, you're really only grinding for skill points and traits.  Stat-wise, there isn't a lot of variation in gear, so acquiring new gear is probably at least 75% a cosmetic.  Gaining levels doesn't mean much when you're level scales dynamically to match the appropriate level for whatever area you are in.  GW2 is a lot more like an open world MOBA than a full-fledged MMORPG in that respect.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Assuming taking one toon to max will take about a month, that's without crafting, or doing much personal story, I would guess PvP. That's where I will be the entire time anyways. O and also gathering mats, and every 20-30 levels i'll just craft till i'm out, try and level up a couple professions with my levels. So for one toon, i'm expecting to be level 80 with a decent amount of crafting at around the 2 month mark.

then the game just begins for me.

WvW (the bread and butter for me). Making a guild with a bro of mine, called Castle Crashers, guess what our plan is? Knock some freaking walls down. Siege siege siege baby, it's the deciding factor in V8. thinking a Norn Warrior too, big ole sum beotch, try out a banner spec haha, suvivability! (maybe name him Spartan or somethin image rush through the hole screaming "THIS IS SPARTA!!!") Maybe try out a pure dps spec too... Who knows, there is so much to do, so much to try, so much to see, I just don't see myself getting bored in 2-12 months.

For the SWTOR jab, thats a sack of potatoes too. SW:TOR never showed us balloney before game released. They had us all fooled and shame on us. And if GW2 has us fooled like SW:TOR than i'm giving up MMORPG's after this one. Plus GW2 is more open, in SW:TOR the only exploring i felt like i had was something like this...

Im at this side of the map, I want tot get to the other side, my only choice is this, left hallway, or right hallway, both filled with bandits, and maybe a different angled turn, but both come out in the same place.

GW2 is like, "O yeah you want to go over there? Ok, well let's see, you can go through this cave, and kill Ettins, or through these plains, and kill Centaurs, Or through this swamp, and kill some demon punks with a massive freaking world boss, so really it's entirely up to you, o' and we forgot there is another mountain pass with harpies on it too, so you can go there too... and if you don't want to kill any of them, you can just run around them..."

That's what the difference feels like to me :)  (not forced into anything)

O and Ilum is non-comparable to WvW...

I think you can tell what i will be doing for some time...

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by RizelStar

The irony of the OP.

Y'all reallly want to know what posts he's literally been believing and the ones he hasn't.

Like I said when I envy something I will believe and hope the misinformation is more correct so my love outshines it.

No doubt about it. I'm not shy about saying I will be playing TSW, and that I may buy GW2 to play on the side, something to replace SC2.  There is no secret there. 

If you don't ask "What will I do in 2 months?" about your game of choice your doing yourself and the game a disservice. Especially when that game is still in beta. Believe me I've asked myself the same questions about TSW, and yelled when something needed to be heard. 

The irony of the OP.

No doubt about it. I'm not shy about saying I will be playing TSW, and that I may buy GW2 to play on the side, something to replace SC2.  There is no secret there. 

If you don't ask "What will I do in 2 months?" about your game of choice your doing yourself and the game a disservice. Especially when that game is still in beta. Believe me I've asked myself the same questions about TSW, and yelled when something needed to be heard. 

So what will you be doing in TSW in 2 months?

The irony of the OP.

So what will you be doing in TSW in 2 months?

I knew that would be next :) I don't want to derail this thread, so I will just say building. I encourage you to start the same thread in the TSW forums.