Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: City of the Sun God - Egypt

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers new information about some of the as-yet unseen locations that players will discover in The Secret World. In the first of a series of location reveals, we bring you the City of the Sun God in Egypt. Read on!

These tombs and temples were supposed to remain hidden for all time. Some date back further than the mind can reach, while others were built by the Black Pharaoh - Akhenaten - toward the end of his reign.

Modern archaeologists know all about Amarna, but not the secret site for which it was abandoned. Something stirs deep in this valley - a voice that drew the Black Pharoah here and drove him mad.

The players must step through Amarna's dark mirror, a twisted temple city dedicated to the true face of the Black Pharaoh's god, the Aten.

Read more of The Secret World: City of the Sun God - Egypt.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Looking forward to playing this in a few weeks :) 

• cooper85cooper85 Member Posts: 386

Nice hope to see more good stuff like this!

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Akhenaten (play /???k??n??t?n/;[1] also spelled Echnaton,[6], Akhenaton,[7] Ikhnaton,[8] and Khuenaten;[9][10] meaning "living spirit of Aten") known before the fifth year of his reign as Amenhotep IV (sometimes given its Greek form, Amenophis IV, and meaning Amun is Satisfied), was a Pharaoh of the Eighteenth dynasty of Egypt who ruled for 17 years and died perhaps in 1336 BC or 1334 BC. He is especially noted for abandoning traditional Egyptian polytheism and introducing worship centered on the Aten, which is sometimes described as monotheistic or henotheistic. An early inscription likens the Aten to the sun as compared to stars, and later official language avoids calling the Aten a god, giving the solar deity a status above mere gods.

Akhenaten tried to bring about a departure from traditional religion, yet in the end it would not be accepted. After his death, traditional religious practice was gradually restored, and when some dozen years later rulers without clear rights of succession from the Eighteenth Dynasty founded a new dynasty, they discredited Akhenaten and his immediate successors, referring to Akhenaten himself as "the enemy" in archival records.[11]

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Another interesting fact, Tutankhamun was his son.

I read that. The history is way cool. Gotta love a game that makes you go and get some knowledge happening. Gonna love reading up on all the history, myths, legends and folklore I will be exposed to.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

kind of excited about this game and the modern setting.  plus its fun to smash zombies with hammers.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

I read that. The history is way cool. Gotta love a game that makes you go and get some knowledge happening. Gonna love reading up on all the history, myths, legends and folklore I will be exposed to.

I also really like the subject matter, of this content and the content of the entire game.  There's no "lore" deeper and richer than the history of our planet.  It's something that most people find instantly recognizable, and resonates with them on some level.

I remember someone at Mythic once saying the reason they went with the Arthurian cycle for DAOC was that it was one of the most recognizable IPs available that didn't cost anything to license.  Smart.  Funcom is capitalizing in the same way, using the events and myths from our own history, which are often more interesting than the ones generated by writers of fiction because they actually have meaning within our own cultures.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Tommii87Tommii87 Member Posts: 6

I love the Egypt-setting, and the fact that the names/events are all based or partially based upon myths/mysteries and facts.

Cannot wait to try this game upcoming weekend!!!

And throw in the fact that much of the lore can be interpreted a few ways leaves the door open to take it in a few directions.......

I hope that they include content involving Gobekli Tepe

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

This is all really awesome and everything (i like the sound of joining forces with this jinn Amir), but looking at that last picture i'm reminded of something:

Where the hell is the zombie t-rex from the trailer?

He's in, what appears to be, an open area in Egypt, since the dungeons are Hell and Ankh. World boss maybe? i really wnat to know more about him.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The game uses a plan like system simmilar to anarchy online where you can summon world bosses via crafting, you will notice there are suspicious looking areas with no quest objectives or mobs on the kingsmouth map like a circle of standing stones that can be interupted with but do nothing. I suspect these are something to do with the plan system.
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I was never that interested in this game at first, but I have to admit, after seeing stuff like this, it looks pretty cool.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

Have to agree with most posters here the more I see the more I look forward to this game. Ancient Egyptian Mythology is always interesting and somewhat mysterious.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

What's that giant skeleton lying behind that girl and what is she looking at that nearly makes her cry in the last picture? Is it a spice worm from Arrakis? ;)

• shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

Hmm...Im from Egypt and I have never heard of this sun god city..... guess ill have to play to find out

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

And throw in the fact that much of the lore can be interpreted a few ways leaves the door open to take it in a few directions.......

I hope that they include content involving Gobekli Tepe

Good call.

There's more interesting history and myths than FC could probably ever have the time to implement into the game - much of it esoteric history/archeaology that a lot of people generally haven't heard much about.  I agree, there are a lot of ways they can twist these myths and events to make them interesting in the game.

One other thing that I like is the way they've incorporated a lot of required knowledge in some parts of the game, and some interesting puzzles as well.  Makes it more interesting to me.  It isn't all just killing mobs or other players.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Going to have to still err on the side of caution with this game. While I do like what I read & have seen about this title so far, I am going to wait for a couple of weeks after launch to see how the game pans out.  

Try get a key for the 2 remaining betas, there's some on here and a few other websites
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by shalldoom

Hmm...Im from Egypt and I have never heard of this sun god city..... guess ill have to play to find out

What about Heliopolis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliopolis_(ancient)

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/health/egypts-pyramids-point-towards-city-of-sun-god_100174051.html

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The game uses a plan like system simmilar to anarchy online where you can summon world bosses via crafting, you will notice there are suspicious looking areas with no quest objectives or mobs on the kingsmouth map like a circle of standing stones that can be interupted with but do nothing. I suspect these are something to do with the plan system.

Can you expand on this, please? I havem't heard anything about it. FC talked about "mob camps" that require 2 or 3 players to get the blueprints. Is this it, or something else?

• shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

Originally posted by Blackbrrd
    Originally posted by shalldoom Hmm...Im from Egypt and I have never heard of this sun god city..... guess ill have to play to find out
    What about Heliopolis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliopolis_(ancient)

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/health/egypts-pyramids-point-towards-city-of-sun-god_100174051.html

yea , I actually live near that place . in "New Egypt". Didn't know Heliopolis means "City of the sun" ...

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by theniffrig

Going to have to still err on the side of caution with this game. While I do like what I read & have seen about this title so far, I am going to wait for a couple of weeks after launch to see how the game pans out.  

That's always the wise choice! Couldn't agree more!

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by theniffrig

Try and get a beta key, I was somewhat skeptical after AoC but I actually had fun in the two BWE I have particpated in.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Its tempting me to get a 3 month sub.. must hold out.
    Can't say anymore freedom, just sticking to official announced stuff / dev posts on open forums.