Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will I do after two months?

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Hmm, I didn't buy GW1 because it was called a PvP game.  However, I've heard there will be some interesting PvE in GW2.  I wasn't aware that GW2 was a game only for PvPers.  This is new information I may have to consider.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Hmm, I didn't buy GW1 because it was called a PvP game.  However, I've heard there will be some interesting PvE in GW2.  I wasn't aware that GW2 was a game only for PvPers.  This is new information I may have to consider.

It's imaginary information, don't stress out about it.

For a while, people were thinking GW2 was just a PVE game because that's almost all they talked about.  Mostly just to counteract the whole 'Oh, GW1 is just a PvP game' thing people were thinking.

There's plenty of both PvE and PvP in GW2.  Two kinds of PvP, and a variety of various things to do in PvE, like crafting, dynamic events, exploring.

There's only 4 maps for WvW PvP and 25 maps for PvE, for example.

Now, it does have a stronger focus on PvP than a lot of MMOs, but the consensual sort, and half their PvP is ESport style.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by iFeelTremors

If You are a PvE Player You shouldn't be even interrested in GW2.

I've read some weird stuff on these forums, but this deserves a special mention at least. Most stupid thing I've read in ages.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by cutthecrap
    If you hate leveling, shouldn't be that much of a problem in GW2, you can reach level cap in 70-90 hrs if you want. After that, well, let's be honest here, all MMO's have the same problem after the first 200+ hours with dev provided content, namely that there's an end to it after which repetition becomes more and more dominant in whatever you do. If after 200-300 hours played you still like doing dungeons, DE's, minigames, exploring where you haven't gone before, and the PvP, keep doing it, if you don't anymore, switch to another MMO or interest and check back from time to time if you feel like it.  

There aren't many games that keep going after 200+ hours of play time.

Anyway, the OP sounds like they are PvP focused and they are not going to enjoy at least half of GW2. If the money isn't an issue, then I'd say play the game for as long as you enjoy it and move on.

You may find "that" game where you spend months and months playing, but you're going to have to play a bunch of games to find it. May as well get started with GW2.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

For me it's a question of was it worth my money. I have bought some bad games before (brink, space marine, diablo 3) and that certainly wasn't worth it. I have gotten more hours out of the beta weekend than I have for other released products. 

They aren't bad games necessarily, just not worth the asking price. GW2 I feel is worth my money. Skyrim was worth the money. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Two months of entertainment for the cost of the box is definitely worth it.  Plus I think GW2's PvP will keep most pople entertained for quite some time beyond that.

If you're really concerned about PvE longevity you may want to keep a sub going for another game

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

sPvP in GW2 is more like a FPS game in that level/gear doesn't matter, you get free access to all builds/traits etc. and there will be constant tournaments, ladders, competitions etc.

WvW is never ending, for the pride of your server, of your guild, and it's always on - always a battle to be had.

Carry your guild to be the best on your server and carry your server to be the best in the world.

PvE will have content updates just like EVERY MMO and I'm sure the first major patch will be at about the 2-3 month mark like EVERY other MMO.

The structure of PvE in GW2 allows them to add more DE's, more DE chains, more meta events etc. with ease unlike traditional questing games where each square foot of land is reserved for mob spawn X for quest Y.

They can change everything.

Acheivements, vanity gear, so much to do in GW2...

Story, dozens of personal story options per race, 8 very, very different professions...

If you get bored, you need to quit playing MMOs or go play a sandbox game - even though the only sandbox currently worth playing (to some) is extremely stagnant too (EvE) due to the political power structure of mega-alliances with no incentive to do anything but sit on territory and grief/harrass other players.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Xssiv

Two months of entertainment for the cost of the box is definitely worth it.  Plus I think GW2's PvP will keep most pople entertained for quite some time beyond that.

If you're really concerned about PvE longevity you may want to keep a sub going for another game

Not only that, if you have friends that are lower level than you, then you can go play with them in their area and you are down-leveled to make the content more challenging for you.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I've read some weird stuff on these forums, but this deserves a special mention at least. Most stupid thing I've read in ages.

Yeah, unless you define PvE as instanced raid/dungeon grinding for gear and repeatable daily quests grinding for gear/reputation - if that is true, go play WoW it is the best PvE game ever...

God forbid people want to play a game where PvE is open world, a lot more dynamic, and the combat actually takes skill...

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by cooper85

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game. My skeptcism stems from playing the competition.  I just don't know if the high fantasy setting could draw me. It may even be a turn off. It's been beat to death.  

Let's say I make it past the high fantasy setting, because it's done so well, so now I'm leveling. There I run into another turn off.  Going from 1-80 just seems pointless. I hate leveling. Eight toons in WoW (high fantasy) Three toons in RIFT (high fantasy), one toon in swtor.  I'm sick of it.

Let's say I make it past the setting and the standard leveling, again because setting is  done so well plus I can level while pvping. 2 Weeks later I'm at cap. I continue to run battle grounds and WvWvW, much like I have been for the past two weeks. I'm having a good time.

One month rolls by since I've been at cap. Wtf am I supposed to do now. I've ran a couple hundred battle groumds, and spent 40 hours in WvWvW. i'm now asking myself "Are you getting bored."" As soon as that happens it's all down hill from there. 

I'm not the type to be filling hearts and chasing DEs. I'm not really the questing type, plus I wouldn't be rewarded with anything meaningful for rerunning DEs. No gear, no AA, just pets and cosmetic gear. 

I just don't see how this game could be fun (that's what it's about, not progression) for longer than two months tops. 

I'm pretty sure that if you're not interested long term in PvP, WvW,  obtaining rare skins from PvE or crafting, or levelling multiple characters, then there won't be much that would suit you. Especially as you hate levelling - in GW2 levelling is pretty much playing the game rather than something you do to get to another version of the game as in raid based MMOs.

While there is a ton of horizontal progression, and apparently tons of little things to work on for your character(s), and ArenaNet has a pretty good track record of releasing new content and updates at a decent speed, unless you're in to that, (or the PvP and WvW), which you're apparently not, why bother? We know there's no raiding end game progression or other secret hidden game waiting for you. It is what it is, you'll be disappointed if you expect something that it's not.

It's probably best not to risk it if you have doubts and if a purchase like this is something that your budget demands you consider this carefully. 

It seems more suited to those of us that have done the gear grind and are OK with leaving it behind and hunting for rare armor/weapon skins/dyes on a quest for the coolest looking character possible (or multiple outfits thereof) while dipping in to sPvP, WvW or re-exploring the world and dungeons instead.

It won't be for everyone, obviously. And according to the things you list as not enjoying, I'd say there's not much reason for you to look to GW2 as a long term hobby - it simply offers things you're clearly not interested in.

I for one wouldn't try to sell it to you, it just doesn't sound like a good match at all.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

OP you've answered your own question. Not every game is for everyone. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Valkaern

Here's my thing. I see a lot of swtor in this game. My skeptcism stems from playing the competition.  I just don't know if the high fantasy setting could draw me. It may even be a turn off. It's been beat to death.  

Let's say I make it past the high fantasy setting, because it's done so well, so now I'm leveling. There I run into another turn off.  Going from 1-80 just seems pointless. I hate leveling. Eight toons in WoW (high fantasy) Three toons in RIFT (high fantasy), one toon in swtor.  I'm sick of it.

Let's say I make it past the setting and the standard leveling, again because setting is  done so well plus I can level while pvping. 2 Weeks later I'm at cap. I continue to run battle grounds and WvWvW, much like I have been for the past two weeks. I'm having a good time.

One month rolls by since I've been at cap. Wtf am I supposed to do now. I've ran a couple hundred battle groumds, and spent 40 hours in WvWvW. i'm now asking myself "Are you getting bored."" As soon as that happens it's all down hill from there. 

I'm not the type to be filling hearts and chasing DEs. I'm not really the questing type, plus I wouldn't be rewarded with anything meaningful for rerunning DEs. No gear, no AA, just pets and cosmetic gear. 

I just don't see how this game could be fun (that's what it's about, not progression) for longer than two months tops. 

I'm pretty sure that if you're not interested long term in PvP, WvW,  obtaining rare skins from PvE or crafting, or levelling multiple characters, then there won't be much that would suit you. Especially as you hate levelling - in GW2 levelling is pretty much playing the game rather than something you do to get to another version of the game as in raid based MMOs.

While there is a ton of horizontal progression, and apparently tons of little things to work on for your character(s), and ArenaNet has a pretty good track record of releasing new content and updates at a decent speed, unless you're in to that, (or the PvP and WvW), which you're apparently not, why bother? We know there's no raiding end game progression or other secret hidden game waiting for you. It is what it is, you'll be disappointed if you expect something that it's not.

It's probably best not to risk it if you have doubts and if a purchase like this is something that your budget demands you consider this carefully. 

It seems more suited to those of us that have done the gear grind and are OK with leaving it behind and hunting for rare armor/weapon skins/dyes on a quest for the coolest looking character possible (or multiple outfits thereof) while dipping in to sPvP, WvW or re-exploring the world and dungeons instead.

It won't be for everyone, obviously. And according to the things you list as not enjoying, I'd say there's not much reason for you to look to GW2 as a long term hobby - it simply offers things you're clearly not interested in.

I for one wouldn't try to sell it to you, it just doesn't sound like a good match at all.

Yeah, sounds like this person wants to play a new game that is like EVE, or maybe he should look at the Secret World.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Hah, for one the leveling system is nothing like what you are comparing it to.  Two, sounds like you just don't like mmo's.  Three, quit trolling.  Four, if you want a gear/rep grinder, well...you know where to go.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Not really dude. By saying this i meant that this game's "endgame" is pvp. PvE is just a journey to 80 and then PvE'er will complain on these forums he has nothing to do anymore (at least till they add more pve content) beside rolling an alt. There is no raids and no gear-grind and it seems that both would suit OP needs more than what is in GW2.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

If You are a PvE Player You shouldn't be even interrested in GW2. Did You read about the game? ITS PvP FOCUSED GAME. I still cant see a reason ANet implemented any PvE in it.

The PVE experience of Guild Wars 2 is the best ever seen in a themepark MMO and one of the main "attractions" of the game is the way they change PVE gaming.....

The PVP experience is awesome as well, I dare say PVE and PVP are two separate games in one game, although that doesn't make GW2 PVE worse.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Holy crap dude. It's not a marriage. You don't exchange vows when you play mmo's these days man.   Just play something else, and come back to g dubz later. Treat it like a regular video game that cost $60.

• syztecsyztec Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

You get out irl and find hot women and bring them home to your bed and have sex.

Or better still...

After the sex, jump on your computer start playing Guild Wars 2 and see if shes interested and you might end up with a perm outgame/ingame partner !!

• syztecsyztec Member Posts: 114

Nothing to see here...

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

So you are complaining about a game that you will get 2 months out of that has no subscription fee? It already sounds better than any other game I have played in the past few years. I will be surprised if I am still playing after 2 months, but we'll see. The World vs. World should hold my attention for a while. The only issue is, the lack of progression may make me lose interest. Though all the exploration stuff has me very excited, I like completing everything content wise in games. I figure between PvP and PvE, there should be plenty to do.

The biggest thing is, again, is there is no subscription fee. I can play at my own pace and not feel like I am wasting money. With down scaling, I can play with friends at any time I want to, no matter our level differences. PvP has scaling mechanics making it very accessible for everyone. I mainy just want to play with friends and enjoy myself, and GW2 seems to be set up in a way that this can happen more so than any other game I have played.

I don't really see your issues with it, especially when the game is designed better than all the other ones you mentioned, and it isn't a subscription based model.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

What do ya know, its Mr. cooper!!

So, for me its simple. Im a pvpier and this game is essentially perfect for me. I will pvp a lot, probably past the two month mark....maybe around the 2 year mark image

You see, in pvp games you do the same thing over and over. If the game is good you don't get bored because there is the human element involved, so you will never see the same thing twice. Besides the fact that there is constant progression in the form of your skill, its awesome to notice how you get better with every passing match.

Examples are simple: FPS games, SC2, LoL(mobas in general), even GW1, ect...you do the same things over and over technically. But in reality its never really the same because you are playing agaisnt other people and progression never ends because you can always get better.

Now, if you don't like structured balanced pvp then you might have a problem. Because as others have mentioned its a themepark mmo and pve there always has a well defined start and end. It doesn't have a super compeling immersive pvp in WvW but it might cut it for some that need a focus and goal or reasons to pvp.

I ask of you Mr. cooper, what will you do after two montsh in TSW?? I ask because I know you are a big TSW fan. I must say I see no future in TSW's pvp, seems like it wasn't really made with pvp in mind. Game design decisions in that game are more catered toward pve stuff. But still its very much a themepark mmo too.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Elesthor

Well, IF  they deliver on their promises, ArenaNet will add new rulesets for sPvP after launch. Tournaments will be enough to keep the competitive PvP fans.

My only fear is that having no personal gains in W v W at level 80 will make most players just ignore it.

I can see this. It's asking alot for it to be as good as WoW arenas were pre "no rankfor weapons." If it is as good or close, your right this will hold a lot of competitive pvprs, but rewards were a big part of the WoW arena system... idk

hmm I don't consider WoW a good pvp example. TBH WoW pvp is prevalent just because of the sheer size of the playerbase. But that playerbase didn't go there for the pvp and I think the balance in their pvp has never been that good.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Elesthor

Well, IF  they deliver on their promises, ArenaNet will add new rulesets for sPvP after launch. Tournaments will be enough to keep the competitive PvP fans.

My only fear is that having no personal gains in W v W at level 80 will make most players just ignore it.

I can see this. It's asking alot for it to be as good as WoW arenas were pre "no rankfor weapons." If it is as good or close, your right this will hold a lot of competitive pvprs, but rewards were a big part of the WoW arena system... idk

hmm I don't consider WoW a good pvp example. TBH WoW pvp is prevalent just because of the sheer size of the playerbase. But that playerbase didn't go there for the pvp and I think the balance in their pvp has never been that good.

Yeah... I don't find WoW a good PvP example either... It's never been held to a high standard for PvP, why should it be now? I think the main thing WoW has for it is numbers, so obviously more people "PvP" in WoW, More peple play WoW.

For the level 80 thing i actually agree with Eles. What I want to see is something like PvP oriented gear, but let them come stat-less. Get a transmutation stone to switch over the stats you want, but they have a BA look to them, and that is end-game PvP rewards... NO STATS/SKILLS! blank gear.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

There's nothing "done to death" about any given seetting. If you don't like fantasy settings, then you don't like fantasy settings. I still prefer fantasy settings to pretty much everything else and I've been playing fantasy games for the last 10 years.

Similarly, if you do not like level, this game is not for you. There are difficult dungeons, but there's still so much content in the game you'll end up not using, so I don't see why pay for it. It's not designed around a gear treadmill. And don't compare it to SW:TOR, because SW:TOR was not about leveling and failed for entirely unrelated reasons.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

This thread again?

Bottom line, if you are bored after two months then just stop playing. Nothing wrong with that.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by seridan

If You are a PvE Player You shouldn't be even interrested in GW2. Did You read about the game? ITS PvP FOCUSED GAME. I still cant see a reason ANet implemented any PvE in it.

The PVE experience of Guild Wars 2 is the best ever seen in a themepark MMO and one of the main "attractions" of the game is the way they change PVE gaming.....

The PVP experience is awesome as well, I dare say PVE and PVP are two separate games in one game, although that doesn't make GW2 PVE worse.

Well seems its just me then. I treat gw2 pve (regardless if its immersive and well done) as a way to get all traits and skills to get into WvWvW and being a valuable contestant there. Not as something i'll be doing at level cap.