Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Birthday Mortal Online 2 Years Old!

username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Mortal Online turned 2 years old today.  It has lasted longer than Dawntide, APB, and EarthRise put together.  Happy birthday Mortal Online I'm sure this game will last many more years.

http://sandboxer.org/?p=1083

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Here's hoping it pulls an EVE Online out of it's ass and hits a major stride in another 2.

Good job StarVault (and good luck).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Two years without making a profit.  Happy Birthday!

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by GTwander

Here's hoping it pulls an EVE Online out of it's ass and hits a major stride in another 2.

Ouch. That would be something huge to pull out of ones ass

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by username509

It has lasted longer than Dawntide, APB, and EarthRise put together.  

You sure like to shout false facts. APB is doing just fine, Dawntide was never released to begin with (Shall we count all games that never were released?) and EarthRise was taken down for re-development. See, some developers take responsibility and actually take games down for a completel rehaul when they see it's a mess. Some try to go with bandaid solutions, as in SVs case.

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

I am kinda surprised it's been two years. I remmeber reading on thier web site how the lead dev had something like 11 years mmo experience. He was around 22 or so. Something like that. I'm sure someone will correct me, but anyway I came away with the feeling this would be another failed mmo. Failed as in not running. Not sure if you can count it as a success, but it IS still here so that's something.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Quick! Kill it with fire! While we have it distracted at its b-day party!!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by spacebot

Failed as in not running. Not sure if you can count it as a success, but it IS still here so that's something.

Well, as others mentioned before the cost of actually keeping a smaller scale online game running post launch isn't that great.  They are down to only core team, about six people or so, remaining on the payroll and the server cost. Seems that their current income from the handful of active players covers that enough to allow them to keep going.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

@ Toferio:  Regarding the comparison to Dawntide, that never stopped anyone from comparing Mortal to Mourning.  APB shut down and was bought by another company, so v1.0 is not "doing fine"

@ username509: You missed Lego universe (admittedly a different target audience) and Project Copernicus. An argument vould be made that Gods and Heroes should be included too, but it hasn't quite stopped breathing yet.

Anyway, congratulations to Starvault. 2 years, still running and still in active development. Here's hoping that they do end up reflecting some of the development history of EVE. (like GTwander said).

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by osmunda

@ Toferio:  Regarding the comparison to Dawntide, that never stopped anyone from comparing Mortal to Mourning.  APB shut down and was bought by another company, so v1.0 is not "doing fine"

@ username509: You missed Lego universe (admittedly a different target audience) and Project Copernicus. An argument vould be made that Gods and Heroes should be included too, but it hasn't quite stopped breathing yet.

Anyway, congratulations to Starvault. 2 years, still running and still in active development. Here's hoping that they do end up reflecting some of the development history of EVE. (like GTwander said).

people still compare MO to Dark and Light , but only on these forums :)

happy birthday MO lets hope you live to see 3.

edit- dont really like sandboxer.org not that its a bad site. Just that its reviews and opinions are basically the opinions of 1 man with a grudge agaisnt themepark mmos. I love sandbox games but i do think there is some fun to be had in most themeparks albiet only for the first month or so. But giving games like diablo3 1/10 is abit silly imo its a 6/10.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I wouldn't even call APB a true MMO.  Just go back and look at the games you compared it to, I wouldn't consider that a great compliment.

As we all know, they have a few thousand people still playing that game.  Any less and we may not even call MO a MMO any more, eh?  

Congratulations SV for pulling the wool over the eyes of your customers for this long. 

Originally posted by osmunda

Give credit where credits due, it is compared to Mourning due to the attitude of developers which some posters perceive as sketchy, not due to its life length. Nor does it matter what version APB is up to, last time I checked MO was heading to version 3:P

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418

An amazing feat given the company has lost 96% of it value in those 2 years.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Do people actually read that website? What a load of garbage.

If you want a good laugh, read the diablo 3 "review".

http://sandboxer.org/?p=1049

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by SHOE788

Do people actually read that website? What a load of garbage.

If you want a good laugh, read the diablo 3 "review".

http://sandboxer.org/?p=1049

LOL- I agreed with his Diablo 3 impression except that I kind of enjoy the Art.

Other than that I have to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MO" and I hope we get many more years of laughs from this game. No other game has given me the entertainment value as MO. I bought the Box and paid for 1 month sub and am STILL being entertained YEARS LATER... Hell, I spent far more on UO and it stopped being entertaining once I was done playing. Dollar for Dollar I have gotten more laughs from this game than any other form of entertainment.

For every triple-A game that releases and is shitty, there is only a couple months of hate before the disgruntled fans move on. Amazing how an amateur game made by a handful of Scandinavians is all it takes to be "Cool to Hate" for years and years, and have them hound the forums as if it's a personal matter.

Well done, people.

For every triple-A game that releases and is shitty, there is only a couple months of hate before the disgruntled fans move on. Amazing how an amateur game made by a handful of Scandinavians is all it takes to be "Cool to Hate" for years and years, and have them hound the forums as if it's a personal matter.

Well done, people.

MO is an easy target for bullies :(

• DunworthDunworth Member UncommonPosts: 29

Happy birthday MO,  I was there for your birth and even pre-ordered.  I remember the big day, Got my cd, installed game did numerious updates and logged on. only to be ganked any time I went out  of a safe zone.  Did not last 2 weeks.

went back a year later and tried again only to find I could not get to NPC's because of peeps blocking the doorways and not moving  so no one could get in or out.  Real highclass player base.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Well done, people.

Agree

Originally posted by Dunworth

Happy birthday MO,  I was there for your birth and even pre-ordered.  I remember the big day, Got my cd, installed game did numerious updates and logged on. only to be ganked any time I went out  of a safe zone.  Did not last 2 weeks.

went back a year later and tried again only to find I could not get to NPC's because of peeps blocking the doorways and not moving  so no one could get in or out.  Real highclass player base.

blocking will always be a problem for a gmae with player on player collision but twitch based pvp requires it unless you want to spend all your time running throguh each other in combat.

They added a push mechanic, its abit buggy but if you aim slightly above the thing you want to push you will push them every single time perfect for moving someone out of the way of a door. However if your still having issues then contacting a gm should solve it since blocking doorways for any length of time is against the rules.

As for being ganked yea it sucks and mo needs to do soemthing about the rampant mass murdering.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by deathshroud

Well done, people.

But...But... But... It didnt have to be that way.

MO is like the kid who arrives at a new school and brags about being a Karate Champion, Pro Race Car Driver, Published Horror Writer and bestselling Filmaker all in one- All while dating 2 bi-sexual Cheerleaders (from a different school, of coarse...)

But then you look at the guy and talk to the guy and... Everyone knows he full of shit.

-And yet shit he still talks- Even while getting his head stuffed in the toilet and his ass kicked every day.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Well done, people.

MO is like the kid who arrives at a new school and brags about being a Karate Champion, Pro Race Car Driver, Published Horror Writer and bestselling Filmaker all in one- All while dating 2 bi-sexual Cheerleaders (from a different school, of coarse...)

But then you look at the guy and talk to the guy and... Everyone knows he full of shit.

-And yet shit he still talks- Even while getting his head stuffed in the toilet and his ass kicked every day.

What is this I don't even...

Well done, people.

I lolled a bit, and it actually does have a point to it.

~but in this case EA would be the same kid, but nobody is going to mess with him because he has rich parents... hell, they might even show up at his birthday party.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

And I seriously doubt that MO will survive to year 3.

The stock for SV is trading at about $.01 (US) - a new all time low, so instead of paying SV your sub fee, you could buy 1,500 share of stock in their "fantastically managed" company!

Bah on this game, no point in even taking about it...

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

Well done, people.

I lolled a bit, and it actually does have a point to it.

~but in this case EA would be the same kid, but nobody is going to mess with him because he has rich parents... hell, they might even show up at his birthday party.

right because nobody ever says anything negative about EA, the studios it owns or the products it puts its logo on.

• CroniteLoreCroniteLore Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by Burntvet

And I seriously doubt that MO will survive to year 3.

The stock for SV is trading at about $.01 (US) - a new all time low, so instead of paying SV your sub fee, you could buy 1,500 share of stock in their "fantastically managed" company!

Bah on this game, no point in even taking about it...

Oh please, ppl have been predicting them going out of business since day 1 - they're wrong and you probably are too.

Only SV know what's going on and they're not saying.

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank