Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

City of Steam Alpha in Mid-July!

CoS_IanCoS_Ian Xiamen, FujianPosts: 21Member

For those that know already what City of Steam is, remember to sign up for our Newsletter on http://www.cityofsteam.com/ to get priority on alpha keys (alpha release in mid-July). We hope to see some of you guys join in and let us know your feedback!

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise there, we're an indie developer, so getting widespread recognition is a tad harder for us), it's an industrial fantasy/steampunk MMORPG, lightweight enough to play on even older computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a lot of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive, and all stored in but a few megabytes!

And this isn't just some average fantasy world with a few steampunk elements thrown in, oh no! The entire world itself is a mechanism of gears and spokes, with pipes and boilers as ancient as the world itself. Current civilizations are build upon these, and these industrial aspects are simply part of the world's history and daily life; races such as humans and elves do exist, but they live alongside dwarves that are part-machine, robotic toilers that roam the land, and both magical and mechanical monstrosities that threaten their existence.

(Go to http://www.cityofsteam.com/world/world-machine to check it out in full animation)

I'll  keep the rest of this short so I don't come off as just another spammer, but if you have any questions about the game I will gladly answer them!

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

Mmmm, that image brings back memories of Planescape. Ima do my research on this one and see if it's up my alley.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• CoS_IanCoS_Ian Xiamen, FujianPosts: 21Member

Thanks for checking it out! Be sure to let me know what you think.

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

• DragonantisDragonantis DublinPosts: 974Member

This game looks pretty cool, im looking forward to trying it out :)

Nice, thanks! Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions. We've recently updated the site, too, so there should be a lot of stuff to check out if it interests you.

• hardcorerhardcorer XiamenPosts: 34Member

I'm just impressed by the new website and forum, nice work. The new Goblin-focused conent dev diary is what I've been waiting for a long time, can't wai to see more. Keep up the great work.

Looking for good ARPGs!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,518Member Uncommon

interesting mix best of luck guys, hopefully doesnt get group into that another browser game category.  Good to see some Indie Devs doing something original

Thanks! And yes, the "browser-based" stigma is something of an obstacle to overcome... Considering what we can pull off so far though, it's safe to say we can start changing that misconception (maybe not entirely, but it's a start).

Still, given that some are so set in their ways as to never give browser-based games a second glance, there's been talk about possibly having a client-based version in the future. Certainly not for Alpha though... but later? Maybe.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,216Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GTwander

Mmmm, that image brings back memories of Planescape. Ima do my research on this one and see if it's up my alley.

I played Planescape several years ago (around 5 or so maybe - I can't remember).  I thought it was an odd game at the time.  There were some things I really liked about it such as how you had to travel out of the underworld when you died.  A lot of stuff was broken or crudely implemented, but it was still fun to explore.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,216Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by CoS_Ian

Thanks! And yes, the "browser-based" stigma is something of an obstacle to overcome... Considering what we can pull off so far though, it's safe to say we can start changing that misconception (maybe not entirely, but it's a start).

Still, given that some are so set in their ways as to never give browser-based games a second glance, there's been talk about possibly having a client-based version in the future. Certainly not for Alpha though... but later? Maybe.

This game looks pretty cool.  I've checked out the website and watched the dungeon making video (I liked it).  You have a pretty nice site. The merchandise section could use a little work.  I wanted to check out the coffee mugs, but the pictures could be better.

Overall, nice stuff.  I'm interested.  I'm also not worried about the browser thing.  I've seen some Unity games that looked pretty good.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,518Member Uncommon

since my last post, I have been jumping around the website, it looks pretty good, must say my biggest turnoff is that there are a lot of cool races which is great, but very few classes.  Now I dont know if maybe they branch off into sub classes or not, this is just my first view, and Class variation and races is always the first thing I explore, and there are many others like me

also dont like that Goblins and Orcs have the same physical starting str

Originally posted by Torvaldr

This game looks pretty cool.  I've checked out the website and watched the dungeon making video (I liked it).  You have a pretty nice site. The merchandise section could use a little work.  I wanted to check out the coffee mugs, but the pictures could be better.

Overall, nice stuff.  I'm interested.  I'm also not worried about the browser thing.  I've seen some Unity games that looked pretty good.

Hmm, true, that Mug section does look off. I've nudged the web designer guy about it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Originally posted by Myrdynn

since my last post, I have been jumping around the website, it looks pretty good, must say my biggest turnoff is that there are a lot of cool races which is great, but very few classes.  Now I dont know if maybe they branch off into sub classes or not, this is just my first view, and Class variation and races is always the first thing I explore, and there are many others like me

also dont like that Goblins and Orcs have the same physical starting str

There will definitely be more classes in the long run; the 4 right now are just what we'll have available initially. More will be added as we include more content (remember, we're still pre-alpha :P )

As for the stats...hrm, I asked design about it, and it's actually a typo. Their physical strength should be 2, and physical agility 7. I'll have someone fix that too, thanks for bringing that up!

• KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GTwander

First thing it made me think of was Terry Pratchett.

Just a quick update, we've got a new gameplay trailer up!

Have a look on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRR6ENSr780&list=UUyjRmmmX4KOQ9SJPkWFc53w&index=1&feature=plcp

Enjoy!

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member

That picture looks almost like Diskworld ;)

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

This discussion has been closed.