Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWTOR at E3 2012

Comments

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Damn I'm resubbing now, thats some sweet updates coming.

I only left the game due to the fact my guild gave up and moved back to WoW, but this time around I'm playing for me and going to enjoy all that the game has to offer.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

This game really isn't very buggy at all. I never encounter anything that effects my gameplay and tbh the only bugs I've seen consistantly are the ones where companions don't sheath weapons all the time, and the stupid customer service ticket menu keeps blinking when theres nothing there, which got fixed in yesterday's patch. People who are saying "THIS GAMES BUGGY THEY NEED TO FIX IT" obviously haven't played it since it first came out and are spreading very false information about the game to everyone else which honestly is part of the problem.

Thanks for the article, and thanks for pointing out how content development and bug fixing isn't mutually exclusive, and actually defending what deserves to be defended and giving people some logical ways of looking at things.. It's about time somebody did. I'm definitely excited about this content.

On the note about their E3 presentation for EA, the entire theater clapped, but nobody was hollaring and whistling about it. And that was the case for just about every presentation so singling SW:TOR out is just silly in this respect.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Uuugh..  I read this article hoping to see that they were getting the message about their "story driven content" being weak and too restrictive.  I was hoping they would start opening the game up to more player driven gameplay.  Nope.  Same old crap as the original game, and the race to the end of the new content will soon be on (for those still bothering to try).

No thanks.

Now, if Lucas would kindly give someone else a shot at this IP, I would be happy.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

The problem is to much pr and to little development. James ohlen doesnt even know the diference between game content and game features "exciting new game content lfg tool in 1.3" lol. Then he says "we have the best pvp team" Tors pvp is god aweful i held out for 6 months they were gonna re do the open world pvp and once i saw this e3 presentation i unsubbed ive lost total confidence in them. How people can settle for 1 new warzone and what i saw there was a complete joke.

Gabe ametgelo or whatever thier head pvp guy from warhammer lied his ass off before the game launched saying 100vs100 in ilum  then came launch and it went downhill fast from there.

James ohlen then says thier waiting on technology to do open world pvp well every other game has the technology to do open world pvp now why is that?

From what ive been able to gather "this all rumor" is that the hero engine thier using cant handle more then 8v8 pvp? This is what thier waiting on suposedly?

whats funny is what good is a lvl cap increase if theres still not much to do at endgame? This game could have destroyed WOW but instead they settled 1 mill and declining when they could have had 10 mill. This is star wars here seriously this is so sad = (

Mark my words this isnt going to be able to compete with gw2 swtors pvp base whats left of it will leave for gw2. As far as im concerned they blew it at 1.1 and fwd every patch they lose more then they get it seems. 1.2 with the ranked wz bieng pulled lost a lot of people you had whole kinships that were coming back to try the ranked warzones then they pulled them lol  shakes head

you know amazon has swtor for 19 bucks now....

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Is this game the KOTOR 3-9 that they promise it to be?

Hell no...

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by channel84

Hell no...

Yeah considering all the class story quests and everything. But I think that claim was more about as they continue to develop it, it will get deeper and richer.

• mightpyromightpyro Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by crysent

I truly don't understand why they don't fix Ilum...Stop adding warzones, fix open world PvP.  Revamp Ilum and you would have me rejoining.  I can't understand why they have this giant, empty, crappy, pvp area (same with lawless sands) why they don't revamp it..?

They have said many times that they're going to beredoing open world pvp from scratch since Illum was a failure.

gabe also said ilum was going to be 100vs100. This is what i mean by to much PR. Ive learned as have many when it comes to swtor and content you dont believe it till you play it. I saw at the guild summit they were saying in 1.2 ilum was gonna be revamped here we are 6 months later what do we have? the same 4 wz's and god aweful looking gear.

Shoulda coulda woulda...

Originally posted by Valentina

Hell no...

Yeah considering all the class story quests and everything. But I think that claim was more about as they continue to develop it, it will get deeper and richer.

The problem with story is it doesnt mean anything except light or dark side points your choices besides that are meaningless story wise. The other problem is once youve done them or made alts your just space barring through it. Even if they develop it they  need to make the choices more exciting and meaningful and have a long term impact on your toon

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Hell no...

7 months after release the game is no deeper or richer than it was on day one.

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

/yawn................................

• Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91

usual trolls bashing star wars. its no buggier than any game, ive never had any problems and played it since launch. sadly i think the inet has won and it doesnt matter what bioware do the game wont recover. everyones back playing wow and moaning about 7 months of DS.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Still playing it, still enjoying it. The server transfers will be a shot in the arm for this game. The new stuff looks promising but the delivery of content has been somewhat slower than has been required to catch up to the other big-boys of the MMO world in terms of features.

Hopefully whilst 1.3 is lower on new content it will be much bigger on quality of life functionality.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

EA internal memo to Bioware Austin:

"It rubs the lotion on its skin"
    "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"
    "It places the lotion in the basket"

• EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49
    People are still playing this? Well, as long as they are having fun, good for them!
  • TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by MMOarQQ

EA internal memo to Bioware Austin:

"It rubs the lotion on its skin"
    "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"
    "It places the lotion in the basket"

You forgot the follow-up memo:

PUT THE LOTION IN THE F*****G BASKET!!!!!  ;)

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Larsa
    Originally posted by Xstatic912

What puzzles me is Ea wants a good size of the mmo market but aren't willing to commit to it. ...

Sorry, but they "commited" something like $700 or $800 million when they bought Bioware and an undisclosed amount for developing SWTOR. EA even stated that it's the largest budget they ever spent on the development of a game.

That's a pretty good "commitment" if you ask me ...

so they spent that much money on a dev team with no MMO experience..nice job.

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179

The buzzing you heard in the video wasn't the buzzing of lightsabers. It was the buzzing of flies flying around a dead game.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Hell no...

7 months after release the game is no deeper or richer than it was on day one.

I still say it was better in beta.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

honestly, if they had of taken the time, learned about MMO design and created their own engine from scratch.. not used a beta quality HERO engine which they butchered beyond recognition they probably would have had a better shot at large scale open world PvP.. but as it was at the time they bought HERO engine.. it was a beta quality product with not much testing or features behind it.. nowhere near as powerful as it is by todays standards, if they really had to license an engine they would have been better off with something else... all these game companies keep licensencing engines - crytek, unreal, hero etc... and while they are great to a cetain degree they arent always capable of devlivering what the developer wants to accomplish, just look at unreal engine in TERA and the nexus... dear god thats damn near unplayable... it's a shame really, but they have to save time and money somewhere i suppose

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by MikeB

Adding content and addressing existing issues aren't mutually exclusive. This is a very common misconception about game development. The fact of the matter is you can't get people excited to come back or check out your game with bug fixes. Can you imagine BioWare releasing a flashy trailer all about fixing bugs or addressing some other issues? Adding additional features and content is important to any live game. Fixing bugs and addressing balance issues can (and do) happen at the same time.

You're absolutely right, bug fixes aren't sexy like new features are.

It's just too bad they blew it when they launched a crap game in the first place. Had they launched with a polished entertaining product these new features would make TOR a must-own title.

Before BW's tug takes on any more passengers, I'd suggest plugging the holes in the hull.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

This game has failed not because of the game itself but because of the people behind it, never before have i felt this to be more true about a game.

i like cookies and ice cream    i dislike greedy stuck up a~~holes that think their better then everyone else

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Jonoku

I don't understand why they add content when they know they need to fix the current issues in the game. Adding content won't make people return. People will just assume that it will be crappy like llum. Fix the current issues first before you add new content k cool.

Khm, I guess you are referring to pvp to which i could not care less, for the rest i do not see anything needing any fix, all is working great.

The only thing I really miss however is to have multiple builds. Im still not at end game with all my 12 alts, want them all lv. 50, ... but when i get there I would like to be able to simply switch builds healer/dps and tank/dps with click of button, not going back to station to respec. This is something i.e. Rift had since day 1. And not only dual as wow, but as I remember 5.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    Originally posted by MikeB

Adding content and addressing existing issues aren't mutually exclusive. This is a very common misconception about game development. The fact of the matter is you can't get people excited to come back or check out your game with bug fixes. Can you imagine BioWare releasing a flashy trailer all about fixing bugs or addressing some other issues? Adding additional features and content is important to any live game. Fixing bugs and addressing balance issues can (and do) happen at the same time.

You're absolutely right, bug fixes aren't sexy like new features are.

It's just too bad they blew it when they launched a crap game in the first place. Had they launched with a polished entertaining product these new features would make TOR a must-own title.

Before BW's tug takes on any more passengers, I'd suggest plugging the holes in the hull.

If they waited till now (6 months longer dev time) and released the game with patch 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3, then the game would have done a hell lot better.

SW:TOR is yet another classic example of a game released TOO SOON! Just like Warhammer Online (another EA debacle) !

even if they launched the game today with 1.1-1.3 the facts still remain you have an incompetent dev team.James ohlen is very stupid and arrogant. To come out and say your company has the best pvp team then to present the your customer the most god aweful botched broken pvp system ive ever seen really says a lot to me as a customer. 

The problem lies with james ohlen and that pos dev team. Until there gone your not going have anything but carebear pve and pvp lol look at the warhammer online forums its a clone of the swtor ones gabe couldnt fix the same issues there. Now if he couldnt fix the same issue there and that game went to hell how can james ohlen think gabe is the best pvp designer? LMAO seriously you tell me.