Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do FPS players really want an MMO? 

Comments

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

The one im interested i9n is planet side 2, i have 2 subs already , so any game with a sub isn't gonna work for me, i sub to wow and tor and don't expect to stop.l 

given soe's trend of going free 2 play i expect planetside 2 to be a free 2 play title out of the gate, So im intrigued but it, Given the populartiy of fps titles, like halo, U would think and mmofps would do extremly well if implemented in a good way with massive 3 faction world pvp 

I could see one of these games becoming huge. 

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

Thank you all for responding so eloquently to my post.

The only thing I want to add is that I am aware there is a demand for a AAA MMOFPS game from the FPS community. My question is how much of a demand is there for a MMOFPS in context of the demand for more E-Sports tournaments for already established IPs?  For example, I think someone mentioned wanting an MMO version of Counter Strike?  Would a version of Counter Strike with Persistant Characters and Environments, and Large Scale battles, and possible Territory Control give  an FPS player more incentive to play the game? Or would playing the Counter Strike with an additional DLC  support and E-sports model of Monthly tournaments leading up to a massive annual tournament with a $1,000,000 prize pool be enough to incentize players?

I can see how the two styles would appeal to different types of FPS players, but I'm assuming that both would be equally successful at attracting a large number of players to their games.  However a AAA MMOFPS will require a lot more money to develop so I was wondering if the demand for MMOFPS was also greater then the cheaper E-Sports alternative? And if the demand is greater which of these new MMOFPS games do  you believe will have the most appeal?  I only named a few but if you know more please let me know as I am interested.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Bigbadwlf

Thank you all for responding so eloquently to my post.

The only thing I want to add is that I am aware there is a demand for a AAA MMOFPS game from the FPS community. My question is how much of a demand is there for a MMOFPS in context of the demand for more E-Sports tournaments for already established IPs?  For example, I think someone mentioned wanting an MMO version of Counter Strike?  Would a version of Counter Strike with Persistant Characters and Environments, and Large Scale battles, and possible Territory Control give  an FPS player more incentive to play the game? Or would playing the Counter Strike with an additional DLC  support and E-sports model of Monthly tournaments leading up to a massive annual tournament with a $1,000,000 prize pool be enough to incentize players?

I can see how the two styles would appeal to different types of FPS players, but I'm assuming that both would be equally successful at attracting a large number of players to their games.  However a AAA MMOFPS will require a lot more money to develop so I was wondering if the demand for MMOFPS was also greater then the cheaper E-Sports alternative? And if the demand is greater which of these new MMOFPS games do  you believe will have the most appeal?  I only named a few but if you know more please let me know as I am interested.

Well a 1 mil prize pool will get anyone interested lol.

But seriously I don't think that the two playstyles are neccesarily mutually exclusive. There can be a persistent world where factions compete for resources and there can be sponsored tournaments that fall into the E-sports category. Honestly, I think that to be really successful, a AAA MMOFPS would have to do this as it would draw the largest number of players/customers.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Pardon me, a combat mechanic does not an MMORPG make.  The first MMORPG used FPS combat, Meridian 59.

And Dust514 is an MMORPG.  It's not a shooter or an "FPS" just beause it uses FPS combat.  There is actual character development, crafting, PvE, everything you would expect to find in an MMORPG.

Just because some of you prefer one style of combat over another does not mean an MMORPG is any less an MMORPG.

I guess Mortal Online is an MMOFPG and not an MMORPG?

Originally posted by Uhwop

And Dust514 is an MMORPG.  It's not a shooter or an "FPS" just beause it uses FPS combat.  There is actual character development, crafting, PvE, everything you would expect to find in an MMORPG.

Hence the term MMOFPSRPG...

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

if MMOFPS means just sPvP aka esports to you, then i doubt you need persistent worlds. a hub with maps will do it for that kind of game. and i cant see the difference between such a "Hub-MMO" and a single-player game with a multiplayer component.  

if you like huge maps with real persistent territorial pvp between guilds, then a seamless persistent world with a rather flat vertical progression but broad horizontal / lateral progression and typical FPS style combat might attract you. i dont know, if  thats still a FPS.

you could draw these 3 archetypes of games as a triangle with the pure FPS (combat), RPG (character development) and RTS (building & economy) at the 3 corners. and 10+ years ago you found games sitting pretty much near to this corner. todays games, regardless which genre they come from, are approaching the middle of the triangle, combining cross-genre elements more or less. the pure archetype became very seldom these days. at least if you look to the blockbusters.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

if MMOFPS means just sPvP aka esports to you, then i doubt you need persistent worlds. a hub with maps will do it for that kind of game. and i cant see the difference between such a "Hub-MMO" and a single-player game with a multiplayer component.  

if you like huge maps with real persistent territorial pvp between guilds, then a seamless persistent world with a rather flat vertical progression but broad horizontal / lateral progression and typical FPS style combat might attract you. i dont know, if  thats still a FPS.

you could draw these 3 archetypes of games as a triangle with the pure FPS (combat), RPG (character development) and RTS (building & economy) at the 3 corners. and 10+ years ago you found games sitting pretty much near to this corner. todays games, regardless which genre they come from, are approaching the middle of the triangle, combining cross-genre elements more or less. the pure archetype became very seldom these days. at least if you look to the blockbusters.

This has all of the information we know about Dust 541, a MMOFPSRPG developed my CCP. It in you will find that an FPS can indeed still be an FPS in a persistent world with character progression. http://www.nidhq.org/forums/m/136886/viewthread/2614294-eve-online-dust-541/page/1

A FPS with character progression in a presistent world really is a huge step forward for the genre. Adding elements of different genres doesn't make it any less of what a game is at it's core

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Mexorilla
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

World of Warplanes,  World of Tanks,  and World of Battleships are eventually going to evolve into 24/7 persistant warfare.  it will be epic.

Cryosleep needs to be invented before we see that day. They are a year overdue on their new gamemodes. The new tank lines came 6 months later than promised. I'm not holding my breath.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Danwarr

A FPS with character progression in a presistent world really is a huge step forward for the genre. Adding elements of different genres doesn't make it any less of what a game is at it's core

FPS with character progression is NOT new. In fact, all the F2P online FPS have some character progression to get people hooked. So the only new thing is the persistent world .. .which i don't see what is the big benefit.

The gameplay experiences, from a FPS point of view, will be very similar to those of a large map, with lots of people, and run for a long time.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

FPS with character progression is NOT new. In fact, all the F2P online FPS have some character progression to get people hooked. So the only new thing is the persistent world .. .which i don't see what is the big benefit.

The gameplay experiences, from a FPS point of view, will be very similar to those of a large map, with lots of people, and run for a long time.

Really? Care to share sir?

If Dust 541 and Planetside 2 don't look like steps forward in the MMOFPS genre I don't know what is.

If Dust 541 and Planetside 2 don't look like steps forward in the MMOFPS genre I don't know what is.

Sure. MAG has 256 player support. With that many players on a map, does it really play differently if it is 1000 players? Does it matter if it is persistent? From a player point of view, that is little difference in the experience.

Those MMOFPS may have better MP technologies, but from a gameplay point of view, shooting another player is shooting another player. Even occuping locations is not new. Many MP action game has that. Does it really matter if you hold it an hour and the game is over, or you have to hold it 100 hours?

Games like Starhawk (though TPS instead of FPS)  with fully building & destruction of structure, has more gameplay innovations than Planetside 2.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Current multiplayer FPS games can prevent players from playing with each other. You have to buy expansions or DLC to play them, beause usually most of the servers upgrade to include the new content. An FTP MMOFPS like Planetside 2 would make it so players within the game could play with and against other players without needing to constantly upgrade the game.

What also happens is when a new FPS game comes out everybody leaves the old FPS and then you need to regrind weapon kits to put yourself in a position to where you aren't at a disadvantage. Of course this can happen with MMOFPSs too, but chances are different weapon kits will last much longer than if a person had to upgrade to a new expansion or game every year or so.

The MMOFPS market appeals to me with how current FPS games are working. Can't a man just own a game and come back to the game months later without needing to buy an upgrade?

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

My main draw to mmofps over fps is the open world pvp which means the areas you're fighting are not balanced.  I like the idea of war being unfair, and using terrain to better your odds of winning. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

thats a silly term. A term that actually gets us moving away from crawling into the darkness of regressive thinking is MMORPGRTS. Lets focus on that instead of worry about if FPS which was in the first MMOs ever is some kind of freak feature making it part of a different genre.

As far as I am concerned all games other than top down stradegy games should be in FPS, regardless of the genre

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by Quenchster

Current multiplayer FPS games can prevent players from playing with each other. You have to buy expansions or DLC to play them, beause usually most of the servers upgrade to include the new content. An FTP MMOFPS like Planetside 2 would make it so players within the game could play with and against other players without needing to constantly upgrade the game.

What also happens is when a new FPS game comes out everybody leaves the old FPS and then you need to regrind weapon kits to put yourself in a position to where you aren't at a disadvantage. Of course this can happen with MMOFPSs too, but chances are different weapon kits will last much longer than if a person had to upgrade to a new expansion or game every year or so.

The MMOFPS market appeals to me with how current FPS games are working. Can't a man just own a game and come back to the game months later without needing to buy an upgrade?

This, of course, depends on the business model. MMOFPS is not, theoretically, immune to this. Planetside 2 can easily sell part of the world (not unlike LOTRO, or DDO) and you cannot play in a particular part with a friend unless BOTH has the same expansion, DLC, or whatever you want to call it.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Quenchster

This, of course, depends on the business model. MMOFPS is not, theoretically, immune to this. Planetside 2 can easily sell part of the world (not unlike LOTRO, or DDO) and you cannot play in a particular part with a friend unless BOTH has the same expansion, DLC, or whatever you want to call it.

I'm waiting on when Planetside 2 is actually released to know if this kind of thing will happen, but from what I saw and heard so far it looks like all Planetside 2 is going to sell is cosmetic things like weapon and vehicle skins. You can do silly things like put hearts on your windshields and have zebra skin camo. If they are were to go any route besides what they appear they are traveling now I'd say that they would do a Tribes Ascend style of F2P. I don't think they would sell parts of the world through DLC or any expansion.

• WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79

I started with tribes/xwing vs tie fighter....i think this will suck in and hold alot of Team/skill based players

that are sick of the trend cod has become....die/respawn fast crap, and promote teamwork, i personally

love defence and cordanating with a group of like minded peeps... sry for spelling... planetside2  please be good

Sure. MAG has 256 player support. With that many players on a map, does it really play differently if it is 1000 players? Does it matter if it is persistent? From a player point of view, that is little difference in the experience.

Those MMOFPS may have better MP technologies, but from a gameplay point of view, shooting another player is shooting another player. Even occuping locations is not new. Many MP action game has that. Does it really matter if you hold it an hour and the game is over, or you have to hold it 100 hours?

Games like Starhawk (though TPS instead of FPS)  with fully building & destruction of structure, has more gameplay innovations than Planetside 2.

Doh! Can't believe I forgot about MAG. 

But as for introducing different innovations, the fact that Dust 541 and EVE are in the same persisent world with everything in EVE affecting how games in Dust play definitely changes the experience in my opinion. Orbital bombardment and vehicle supplies make a difference. So does allowing Dust and EVE players to manipulate the planet's defenses before combat even takes place.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

thats a silly term. A term that actually gets us moving away from crawling into the darkness of regressive thinking is MMORPGRTS. Lets focus on that instead of worry about if FPS which was in the first MMOs ever is some kind of freak feature making it part of a different genre.

As far as I am concerned all games other than top down stradegy games should be in FPS, regardless of the genre

I thought they generally call those (MMORPGRTS) MOBAs now...

A First Person camera doesn't make a game a First Person Shooter. Just because I can play Skyrim using a first person camera doesn't mean Skyrim is a FPS.

Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, etc. these are all First Person Shooters

Skyrim, Oblivion, Mount & Blade, etc are all RPGs that have a First Person Camera option.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

I  want a persistent world MMOFPS, where ranking up allows you to drive new vehicles, call in strikes, new camos, but never do you buy epic gear to kill n00bz. Players can return to a main base to restock on ammo, chat with faction, access/customize vehicles, customize soldier. Battlefield type destruction but needs a smooth engine obviously. But ideally it should be a seamless world. Snipers would dominate though :/

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My take on this:

• If the emphasis is more about progression and character development, it's an RPG (regardless of first or third person).
    • If the emphasis is more about shooter style combat, it's a Shooter (regardless of first or third person).

A balanced mix of both would be a hybrid.

I don't consider DF or MO as shooters, even though they do have some shooter mechanics.  A sci-fi MO with only gun combat would be pretty close to a hybrid.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

This has all of the information we know about Dust 541, a MMOFPSRPG developed my CCP. It in you will find that an FPS can indeed still be an FPS in a persistent world with character progression. http://www.nidhq.org/forums/m/136886/viewthread/2614294-eve-online-dust-541/page/1

Character Progression doesnt make a FPS into a MMO. many new age FPS have this. Including CoD and MAG. nether are mmo.

also Dust 514 has no persistent world. Its connected to EvE (another game all together) which has a persistent world. in Dust it uses FPS map Lobbies like every other FPS does. it just has a online requirement. hint, SO DOES MAG which isnt a MMOFPS.

The Stats of your faction you fight for may persist over a grid, but this is something most new aged FPS are also doing, which doesnt make them MMOFPS.

look at MAG. it has a 3 faction global rank that persist even when not playing. Doesnt mean its a MMOFPS.

If Dust 514 is considered a MMO on this site, than we should put MAG and even Call of Duty on here as well.

you people let clever marketing get to your head before your brain can process the logic.

thats the true problem of this genre. its made up of consumers that cant see past Clever Marketing...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by XAPGames

My take on this:

• If the emphasis is more about progression and character development, it's an RPG (regardless of first or third person).
    • If the emphasis is more about shooter style combat, it's a Shooter (regardless of first or third person).

A balanced mix of both would be a hybrid.

I don't consider DF or MO as shooters, even though they do have some shooter mechanics.  A sci-fi MO with only gun combat would be pretty close to a hybrid.

the two terms when over your head with your conclusion.

if its a RPG and a FPS.

that would make it a

FPSRPG, not a MMOFPS.

Dust 514 isnt a MMO at all, since it lacks a persistent world. every battle is in a lobby like every other FPS on the console.

compare Dust to Planetside. logic is all there.

Dust is a OnlineFPS like MAG. cant play offline, and has larger population caps than a standard CoD like experience. But nether are considered MMO-FPS.

Planetside is a MMO-FPS. it has both the MMO side of things (the Persistent world)
    and the FPS side of things (The gameplay style)

Dust only has the same gameplay style as a MMOFPS, which is the FPS part, which all FPS also have in some fashion.

Character Progression doesnt make a FPS into a MMO. many new age FPS have this. Including CoD and MAG. nether are mmo.

also Dust 514 has no persistent world. Its connected to EvE (another game all together) which has a persistent world. in Dust it uses FPS map Lobbies like every other FPS does. it just has a online requirement. hint, SO DOES MAG which isnt a MMOFPS.

The Stats of your faction you fight for may persist over a grid, but this is something most new aged FPS are also doing, which doesnt make them MMOFPS.

look at MAG. it has a 3 faction global rank that persist even when not playing. Doesnt mean its a MMOFPS.

If Dust 514 is considered a MMO on this site, than we should put MAG and even Call of Duty on here as well.

you people let clever marketing get to your head before your brain can process the logic.

thats the true problem of this genre. its made up of consumers that cant see past Clever Marketing...

What is your definiton of an MMO, because I think it might be different from mine...

Dust is persistent. Each planet is different and can be changed by the players as they see fit. The only thing that is consistent if the actual landscape. Even that can be affected by previous battles and orbital bombardments and whatnot.

Either way, we are getting away from what the OP asked which was "Do FPS players really want an MMO?" and I, as a person who enjoys playing  FPS style games as well as MMOs, say "Yes, I do believe that there is a market for a well developed FPS with MMORPG elements"

What is your definiton of an MMO, because I think it might be different from mine...

Dust is persistent. Each planet is different and can be changed by the players as they see fit. The only thing that is consistent if the actual landscape. Even that can be affected by previous battles and orbital bombardments and whatnot.

yeah, but in non MMOFPS they also have different maps. some even rotate based on faction. again look at MAG for an example of this. this doesnt define the MMO part of a MMOFPS since non MMO also can have this.

Thats called Dynamic or Sandbox to some. Not a defining part of what a MMO is. Again in MAG I can destroy a objective, and be repaired. doesnt make this a defining element of a MMO.

also on topic, I believe that very few people can envision a Real MMOFPS, since there is only 1 that comes to mind so far

which I believe is why this thread was created in the first place. labling future OnlineFPS like Dust as MMOFPS will only lead to you own disapointment even futher, just like CORPGs and MOBAs have been labled as MMO now days, which disapoint many MMO gamers who look into these misleading titles.

I say if youare interested in a MMOFPS, than check out a real MMOFPS, with a real Persistent world, not CoD large MAG like scale Lobby battles..

cant wait for PS2 for this reason alone. But also looking forward to Dust 514 since its a massive SciFi OFPS(like MAG which is my favorite PS3 game), which I also like, but that doesnt mislead my judgment on the genre of this title.