Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's are a failed genre design and a massive scam

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I honestly believe the MMO game genre as a whole isn't what it's cracked up to be. Way back in April 2006 an old ex-friend of mine wanted me to try out WoW, when I first played this game I was really amazed with it as I never played a top class MMO game before it, trying out my first character as a Gnome Warrior along with my ex-friend, those were fun times. But then things changed, as I wanted to play new characters, he didn't want to help me anymore and I ended up being a loner. I never liked the idea of playing with random people, some nice and most are douces and eventally it became nothing but douces. I played up until 2010 and the last 2 years on private servers and I still ended up being alone, always hoping my luck would change which it never did. In between these years I played other MMO's and they still had the same problem, I was still bored and lonely. Seriously how do you people put up with this? Joining guilds or groups is not for me because all people do is bitch or stay silent.

I was once talking to my hair dresser about WoW and he thinks WoW is a big con of a scam and I think he's right, what is the point of investing your time and money for a game you don't enjoy and I believe it's the same with all MMO's minus the heavy trolling WoW gets and instead are ghost towns.

Years ago WoW was king, nowhere days WoW is a dying horse and most people now prefer Team Fortress 2 and the ARMA 2 Mod game, DayZ, the latter of which has all the qualities of an MMO without being an MMO.

The MMO genre as a whole was really a failed game genre that was broken from the start of it's invention and I think I know why. People don't want to play a game that becomes a job or is a borefest, people want to have fun whenever they like and so I believe we've come to the death of the MMO genre.

<<<<<>>>>>

Ok, it seems that a lot of people are confused with how I've written the OP. The first thing I want to make clear to everyone is that I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder, luckly it's only mild as for the most part I'm like any normal person but I really struggle with talking with most people, hence why I'm more comfortable with people who I either know or people that are friendly and not bossy towards me. I suppose meeting random people are ok but not the weird bad lot which I so despise. In recent times I've been great friends with somebody that's from Australia because we have very similar interests, we both are in the "Furry" fandom and we like video games. Dispite the time differences as I come from the UK we've always chatted on Windows Messenger, so unlike the ex-friend who lives near me, good friends always stick together. Of course he doesn't play MMO's even though he's looking forward to Planetside 2 which I'm not interested in as I suck at first person shooter type games so can't really ask him to join anything else in the genre.

It may have sounded like I was talking foolish but I'm just saying my concerns about myself with the genre. Indeed I know that MMO's are suppose to be played with multiple people, but for somebody who doesn't have anyone to play MMO games with, then what can I do? Do I either discard the genre as a whole or is there a method that can help me out with games like these, I have no plans to return to WoW as it's overcrowded with internet trolls and for the most part is a medicore game but what game could I venture into? I'm not really that excited for Guild Wars 2 as it's a free to play which is bad news for server latency which means massive lag for everyone or The Secret World as I was really disappointed with after seeing TotalBiscuit's videos on the game and I'm certainly not playing the hard to learn EVE Online. So anything that's not free to play and got planty of people would be nice.

Comments

• rothbardrothbard Member Posts: 248

"I'm always alone"

"Why would anyone want to join a group/guild?"

/derp

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

You're either being sarcastic or you don't realise how much subjectivity is in your post, that you see as objective fact.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I've never gotten a character past lvl 17 in wow, can't stand the f'ing game.

But I think this post is completely over-the-top in its claims that WoW is dying or less popular than Team Fortress or Arma2 DZ.

Thats just grossly inaccurate.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

. But then things changed, as I wanted to play new characters, he didn't want to help me anymore and I ended up being a loner. I never liked the idea of playing with random people, some nice and most are douces and eventally it became nothing but douces..

you managed to lose the friend that actually introduced you to WoW by playing too much WoW ?!! (that's a first i've ever heard of )....and now everyone is a douche?

....you've got problems man.

like big social disfunctional problems. it's got nothing to do with games man. it's all you. sure a large majority of people online are douches but there are plenty of cool peps too, just like in RL. all it takes is some intelligent weeding.

WoW a scam?...how is selling entertainment a scam? that's all WoW (and all games) is, entertainment. if they entertain you then you pay, if you are not then you go pay for some other type of entertainment. if you feel scammed then stop paying. go pay for a movie, or a ride at the fair, or a lap dance.....you'll quickly learn just how inexpencive mmos are a form of entertainment.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I agree except it is because MMOs are only developed to make money fast for investors now days. Just like all other games.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

I agree except it is because MMOs are only developed to make money fast for investors now days. Just like all other games.

Yeah, that's pretty much true.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

While I tend to agree that nowadays MMOs that require subscriptions to play are a rip off, I disagree that MMOs are a failed genre.  There are some great looking games coming down the pipeline very soon (or that have recently come out) that will keep the MMO genre firmly entrenched as a popular pastime.  Among these are Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, and Archeage.  Will any one of them, or a combination of them "kill" WoW?  That remains to be seen, but probably not.

It's true that some games have become "borefests" as you put it and the "clones" of those games will probably ultimately fail.  But the games that bring something truly innovative and fun to the genre will succeed.....and succeed well, I bet.

Edit:  Looked at your game history so removed the question about WoW being your only MMO experience.  However, from your post it seems that your main beef is with WoW.  You do realize that WoW is no longer indicative of the genre, right?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

At least in my personal experience, if any guild you've joined is full of people that only bitch or stay silent, you're joining the wrong kind of guilds... and if you're putting money on a game you don't enjoy... well, I'd say that's hardly WoW's fault to begin with. Playing is something we do only (or at least mainly) for fun, if you're not having fun, why keep playing?... even more if you have to keep paying to keep playing.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by evolver1972

While I tend to agree that nowadays MMOs that require subscriptions to play are a rip off, I disagree that MMOs are a failed genre.  There are some great looking games coming down the pipeline very soon (or that have recently come out) that will keep the MMO genre firmly entrenched as a popular pastime.  Among these are Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, and Archeage.  Will any one of them, or a combination of them "kill" WoW?  That remains to be seen, but probably not.

It's true that some games have become "borefests" as you put it and the "clones" of those games will probably ultimately fail.  But the games that bring something truly innovative and fun to the genre will succeed.....and succeed well, I bet.

Edit:  Looked at your game history so removed the question about WoW being your only MMO experience.  However, from your post it seems that your main beef is with WoW.  You do realize that WoW is no longer indicative of the genre, right?

Well I think most people would say that WoW helped defy the genre as it is today. I suppose I'm still angry with the game.

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

you managed to lose the friend that actually introduced you to WoW by playing too much WoW ?!! (that's a first i've ever heard of )....and now everyone is a douche?

I really had no idea why he would never help me out but WoW wasn't the reason I lost him as a friend, he just stopped contacting me on Windows Messenger and Skype, my guess is he's an extremely busy person with then college and now whatever work he's doing. Last time I met him in person he's stopped playing WoW and was too busy trying to make a website for an estate agentcy, also he became fat and sticky. and that was all a year ago.

Not really much of a friend if you don't keep contact.

• lordwedgelylordwedgely Member Posts: 61

strip away all the BS and MMOs are nothing more than monetized graphical chatrooms.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The list of games played are mostly WoW clones and/or ftp cash grabs. Your original post references only WoW then makes sweeping generalizations about the genre. Most of the problems you have seem to be with the people who you've interacted with rather than the game itself. You mention ex friend and ex girlfriend. Maybe you're going through some personal evaluation these days and your frustrations are being misdirected onto a video game.

Hope you figure it out. Good luck.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I was once talking to my hair dresser about WoW and he thinks.......

/facepalm

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Its just a buisness like anything else, though for me theres nothing better having a good group of friends / guild. Exploring the game and having fun doing so... these games were never meant to cater to the single play mindset of people. I already know you know that but if anything games like WoW hate or love it... go's to show you how its totally not a failed genre. Its actually a ever growing one... when the first Everquest came out.. i never thought the genre would be as big as it is now.

I wouldn't go on putting your misfortunes of what happened and totally rip a entire genre. It makes it sound like you got your heart broken and needed a scapegoat. 

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

I honestly believe the MMO game genre as a whole isn't what it's cracked up to be. Way back in April 2006 an old ex-friend of mine wanted me to try out WoW, when I first played this game I was really amazed with it as I never played a top class MMO game before it, trying out my first character as a Gnome Warrior along with my ex-friend, those were fun times. But then things changed, as I wanted to play new characters, he didn't want to help me anymore and I ended up being a loner. I never liked the idea of playing with random people, some nice and most are douces and eventally it became nothing but douces. I played up until 2010 and the last 2 years on private servers and I still ended up being alone, always hoping my luck would change which it never did. In between these years I played other MMO's and they still had the same problem, I was still bored and lonely. Seriously how do you people put up with this? Joining guilds or groups is not for me because all people do is bitch or stay silent.

I was once talking to my hair dresser about WoW and he thinks WoW is a big con of a scam and I think he's right, what is the point of investing your time and money for a game you don't enjoy and I believe it's the same with all MMO's minus the heavy trolling WoW gets and instead are ghost towns.

Years ago WoW was king, nowhere days WoW is a dying horse and most people now prefer Team Fortress 2 and the ARMA 2 Mod game, DayZ, the latter of which has all the qualities of an MMO without being an MMO.

The MMO genre as a whole was really a failed game genre that was broken from the start of it's invention and I think I know why. People don't want to play a game that becomes a job or is a borefest, people want to have fun whenever they like and so I believe we've come to the death of the MMO genre.

Oh, how I'd love to put this post away as just a dumb troll blabbering...

but then again I'm a nice guy so I'll assume you are sincere about your posting.

If you were to re-read what you have written you'd notice the one big problem: you don't like to play alone but you also don't like to play with others as they are "douces".

The problem is yourself!

If you get over yourself, if you go out there, if you start helping random people in game, eventually you will find someone you get along with just fine. And then another. And another.

MMOs are by nature games were you have to expect sharing the "world" with quite a number of people, yes, there will be idiots, yes, there will be "zeroes", but there will people you will get along with just fine.

On the other hand, considering that you clearly promote yourself as part of the instant gratification generation, yeah, I think before game designers come to the point of listening and designing their MMOs even more foor your kind of gamer, it's better if you just go back to playing DayZ and TF2.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Remove the community aspects of an MMO and they aren't much more than poorly designed SP RPGs.

In the end, it's the players that make an MMORPG worthwhile.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Dang know it all hairdressers

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

You have either decided to associate with the wrong people, or because of your attitude the wrong people associate with you.  MMORPG's are online-only games designed to be played with other people.  You are going to get the most out of them when you can find some like-minded people and enjoy the game with them. 

Speaking of WoW, I started WoW when it was released and joined a guild a few months later, had a blast and meant some cool people and really became part of my servers community.  Later of course things changed with cross-server battlegrounds and 20 man raids and all that and due to college I couldn't play as much as I liked.  In 2007 I joined another guild and it was great.  Even though I haven't played WoW in a while, I still talk to some of those people to this day. 

As far as being a scam?  That makes no sense.  If you are doing something you don't enjoy, go do something else?  How are they scamming you?  Did you feel tricked in some way?  I guess maybe every video game, regardless of whether it's an MMO is scam to you?  I am not following your reasoning.

Also, the MMO genre is not a 'failed genre design' whatever that means.  There are tons of interesting looking games on the horizon.  Failed in your eyes maybe?  I think someone said it best, your post is filled with so much subjectivity and no facts that it cannot be taken seriously.

TLDR; find something else to do with your time.  Video games aren't your thing.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Pity you didn't play in the heyday of EQ and UO when community was the focus. Perhaps you'd have a different perspective.

WoW ruined the genre for me, but it was a great genre before WoW convinced every investor they could strike it rich in the MMO business, not that that's WoWs fault by any means but it is what it is.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

The fact that you dont enjoy MMOs doesnt make them a scam.

Not being lonely in an MMO is not as much a matter of luck, as you put it, as it is perseverance. If you arent trying, it isnt happening.

I cannot stress this enough, if  you are bored and lonely it doesnt mean that someone else isnt having fun.

Finally, $15 per month is the cost of a single 90 minute movie (plus less than the price of a small popcorn). Not much of a scam for the number of hours available for play.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I think hairdressers are a big scam, what is the point of investing your time and money in getting a haircut you don't enjoy and I believe it's the same with all hairstyles.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I would agree with "themeparks are a failed design".

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

. But then things changed, as I wanted to play new characters, he didn't want to help me anymore and I ended up being a loner. I never liked the idea of playing with random people, some nice and most are douces and eventally it became nothing but douces..

....you've got problems man.

like big social disfunctional problems. it's got nothing to do with games man. it's all you. sure a large majority of people online are douches but there are plenty of cool peps too, just like in RL. all it takes is some intelligent weeding.

WoW a scam?...how is selling entertainment a scam? that's all WoW (and all games) is, entertainment. if they entertain you then you pay, if you are not then you go pay for some other type of entertainment. if you feel scammed then stop paying. go pay for a movie, or a ride at the fair, or a lap dance.....you'll quickly learn just how inexpencive mmos are a form of entertainment.

QFT good sir.

OP: Find new friends to play with. They make any game fun.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

When everyone seems like a douche but you, then maybe the problem isn't everyone...

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually one element of everquest when it first came out that really wowed me was that you could play a game and sell items that you earned in the game to pay for your subscription and maybe have a little extra money -- and when you finished playing that you could sell your stuff -- as opposed to other game forms where it became worthless when you were done playing.

Of course this changed in general over time.  I mean I bought and sold (but mainly sold) things in asherons call and everquest back when it was legal to sell them on ebay, and it was kind of sad then that went away with the updated rules in those games, the participation by ebay of making it so you cant sell items for any online game, and the general change of how the games worked.

I mean in the old days you didnt have the asian farmers.  The people who actually sold a dwarven workboots or a 113 bow actually were players who got said.  When it was pushed underground it became the exact things that people did not want -- big companies that did the transactions from oversees.

Of course back then you could even buy items from vendors that other people had sold to them.  It was a different time -- and a time one can not go back to -- the genie has been let out of the bottle and even if some new game goes that path aka diablo 3 -- concerted efforts in countries with lower standards of living will make sure that your time is not worth much money in a game as a normal player.