Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Progress Shown this Beta Weekend

Comments

• mairicmairic Member UncommonPosts: 13

Wow, no one mentioned the fact that you can TP to your party and move with your party in the different overflows. You're no longer forced to randomly go through portals to try to get together.

This was the best change in my mind

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by mairic

Wow, no one mentioned the fact that you can TP to your party and move with your party in the different overflows. You're no longer forced to randomly go through portals to try to get together.

This was the best change in my mind

When something suttle like that works as intended people forget that it even was a problem to begin with. Its human nature...

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

The game is ready. Set destination on RELEASE ... warp 10 Mr. Crusher.

Seriously the only thing I want to hear about GW2 after this BWE is a release date.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

FoV needs sorted out, i.e. give people a Field of View slider to increase it. Also scroll distance from your character is too close atm. Together with camera accelleration these two things made quite e few people feel sick and/or having aheadache after a little while.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    I ran around lions arch on a new ranger I made and saw a shimmering portal to another area. Turned out it was to gendarran fields. I was at level 3 and doing that mansion quest lol. Almost died by a centaur, found the order of the vigil, and ended up porting to the mists rather than braving the path back to lions arch. So much fun! So much WvWvW! Can't wait for the next one! I really want to play a sylvari ranger.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

From my perspective, I liked the mini-map changes.  I can also understand where the old-style lovers are coming from - perhaps an option to choose between the two could be implemented prior to release?

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

Still no release date.  That's really all I care about.

• vashshotvashshot Member Posts: 1

I still think the coolest new thing they added is the ability to post waypoints in chat and be able to click on them to take you to them on your main map

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Zoyita

i used an ranger and was perfectly good the damage and everything only the pets still so squishy, they run around dead 95% of the time. 

They are a bit squishy, but you should use F4 to switch between your pets to let one recover while you're burning down the other one. 

EDIT: That way they run around dead only about 65% of the time:)

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

There were definite improvements from last beta but they still seem to have a lot to do. I've now played all the classes up to level 10 at least and sPvP'ed with them all and warrior, guardian, necro and elementalist just need minor tweaking while ranger, mesmer and engineer need some major tweaks.

My preferred class was mesmer but it seems to be a WIP atm. I was loving my ranger at level 3 but by level 7 reviving my pet had become a chore and i just put the damn thing on stay.

I was wondering what class i would main till i tried an elementalist. By level 5 i was sold. The most versatile class by a long way. So much fun. Ride the lightning, updraft is just plain cool.

• PerfectBlendPerfectBlend Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Another major change has to deal with skills.  They decided to tier the skills, kind of like the traits.  To unlock the next tier, you have to unlock 5 of the current tiers skills.  It’s not really complicated, and does give a decent sense of character progression as you level up.  Now, I read on the forums that some other players didn’t like this, and I can see where they are coming from.  We all just want to unlock a specific skill when we have the points, not have to wait to unlock the tier it’s in.  I get it, but I think this was a smart move.  If you have all these skills, you start to think about different strategies.  You really do play differently, and it makes you a better player

No it does not make you a, 'better player'.  How are you a better player now that you have to get five skills you may never have wanted in the first place just to unlock the next tier? I played exactly the same as I did with BWE I just had to mandatorially pick three other things to unlock the next tier, something which I hate being forced to do seeings as the first BWE had much more variety. It also gave you more incentive to work towards something.

The only reason this was changed was because some people gimped themselves in the previous betas and whined about it, no other reason then that.  It's a bad move IMO and it's a shame because I thought it was the one aspect GW2 had got down very well.  I guess it's a bit scary for people who love their talent tress and they are the majority.

I think this change will definitely ease new players into understanding the full scope of the character class they're using.. Even having read nearly everything I could about the entire array of class skills and traits before playing, I found myself struggling to find the secret perfect build whilst trying to explore, get used to the newness of the game world, and familiarize my mind with the combat system. 

I can see how it could be of value to those players who had a preconcieved notion of the way they wanted their class to work. Forcing players to pick up skills they wouldn't have initially tried will at least nudge them toward completely exploring the class they're using.

• rathalas22rathalas22 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I think the new skill system is Junk. So basicaly its nothing more than another tree just like any other MMO out there. That will bring all the same FOTM builds and force your hand on what skills you need to pick up.  Joy.  This in no way shape or form makes you a better player. Its still beta so heres to hoping they change it back. It should still be a decent game since there is no sub fee.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by rathalas22

I think the new skill system is Junk. So basicaly its nothing more than another tree just like any other MMO out there. That will bring all the same FOTM builds and force your hand on what skills you need to pick up.  Joy.  This in no way shape or form makes you a better player. Its still beta so heres to hoping they change it back. It should still be a decent game since there is no sub fee.

Oh yeah, totally spot on... except for being wrong.

Yyou aren't limited in any way on how many Skills you can pick, just how you unlock them. Sure you can't "cherry pick" your favorite skills right off the bat, but you can get there while possibly learning to use Skills you would otherwise never have considered.

Unlike pretty much every other MMO I've played, I found ALL the Skills to be useful even if they weren't part of the build I was currently working on. The current system eases new players into the game and allows ANet a better structure for future expansion and balancing.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

Had so much Fun!!!  Love so many things about the way this game is and the way it plays.

1) The old mini map was better.

2) I didn't like having to spend skill points on stuff that i wasn't immediately interested in just to get to stuff i was. Is this an attempt to make the skill system less formidable to new players? IDK. I'm sure Anet have thought about this carefully - in the long term it won't bother me cause im gonna get every skill point there is anyway.....

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

My favourite improvement was that my team had no trouble sticking together when teleporting to the city or out again. It felt so natural that it took us a while before we realised that it was very different in the last beta where one of us usually ended up in overflow :)

As for the minimap, I don't mind holding shift to ping on it myself. But I agree that that function is more important then dragging the map around, so I wouldn't mind if they switched it, so that holding shift lets you drag the map around. Although that is kind of nitpicky imo.

I'm not sure what to think of the tiered skills. On one hand I liked that I need to try skills that I otherwise wouldn't chose. On the other hand I dislike losing choice.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Fricken LOVED it. I need this game to exist already, everytime the beta ends it's depressing as hell knowing I have to wait to play it more. I keep trying other games to hold me over, but with the acception of a moba-style battle here and there, nothing is keeping me interested. Nothing else actually makes me ~want~ to play. I agree with the map thing though, I love being able to move and change the size of my map, but not being able to ping or draw on it like I could before was disappointing.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Great update and loved the changes... BUT I still hate the map. Cant change direction with the map open. So your char is on auto run, running into trees and walking off cliffs. I dont like that zoom in and out when you open and close the map. Also when moving and the map is open it should go transparent. Map really needs some work.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I think the tiered traits was a needed change and I hope they keep it how it is. On the other hand I don't like the tiered utility skill chang at all. e
  • wjwatkinswjwatkins Member UncommonPosts: 12

I don't like the new map either, preferred the previous one, this one seemed in the way. Also, why don't they have quests in the city. I was exploring the city, trying to open portal and name areas, this weekend and I think at least killing rats or knocking around some hoods would add some interest.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Solid changes but I can't help but notice several negative changes:

- Mystic Keys no longer drop from mobs (I killed many, many mobs, and got to level 40). Still penty of chests dropping, though...

- Dye seeds no longer 'planted'. Dyes only obtainable through cash shop or rare 'undiscovered dye' RNG items which unlock 1 random dye. Keep in mind, dyes are also no longer account bound, but character bound.

- Glory reward system changed from paying exactly for the item you wish to unlock, to having to pay for RNG boxes which has extremely low chance of giving the items you want to unlock. In other words, extreme grind on RNG for sPvP players.

- Mystic Forge is an itemshop gimmick: Turning 4 items in to receive one that your class can use is great, but here is the trick, the item you get back only has 1 stat on it (making it completely useless), unless you buy mystic forge stones, which adds the second stat upon using the mystic forge to replace items.

Those four changes heavily promote cash shop usage and are really starting to hug that thin line of 'pay2win' asian cash shop models. They also promote RNG based grind, perhaps in an attempt to keep people playing longer.

The other changes have been awesome however, I just hope more people realised the bad changes aswell. Speak up!

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by raapnaap

Those four changes heavily promote cash shop usage and are really starting to hug than thin line of 'pay2win' asian cash shop models. They also promote RNG based grind, perhaps in an attempt to keep people playing longer.

That still does not make it pay2win in any way. It's more like pay to get more out of your game which is still ok in my books. With that said, it is sort of worrying direction and I hope ANet know what they are doing.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by raapnaap

Solid changes but I can't help but notice several negative changes:

- Mystic Keys no longer drop from mobs (I killed many, many mobs, and got to level 40). Still penty of chests dropping, though...

- Dye seeds no longer 'planted'. Dyes only obtainable through cash shop or rare 'undiscovered dye' RNG items which unlock 1 random dye. Keep in mind, dyes are also no longer account bound, but character bound.

- Glory reward system changed from paying exactly for the item you wish to unlock, to having to pay for RNG boxes which has extremely low chance of giving the items you want to unlock. In other words, extreme grind on RNG for sPvP players.

- Mystic Forge is an itemshop gimmick: Turning 4 items in to receive one that your class can use is great, but here is the trick, the item you get back only has 1 stat on it (making it completely useless), unless you buy mystic forge stones, which adds the second stat upon using the mystic forge to replace items.

Those four changes heavily promote cash shop usage and are really starting to hug that thin line of 'pay2win' asian cash shop models. They also promote RNG based grind, perhaps in an attempt to keep people playing longer.

The other changes have been awesome however, I just hope more people realised the bad changes aswell. Speak up!

You know, as much as I have defended ANet's cash shop in the past, these changes are getting closer to crossing the line. It still does not make the game pay2win and I will still play it but I am really starting to worry about the implications of the following:

Nexon took over 15% shares in NCSoft.

"'This investment has been made to combine the development skills of NCsoft with Nexon’s global publishing platform,” said Nexon chief executive Choi Seung-woo. “Through the long-term partnership, the two firms will aim to grab a greater number of opportunities than before.'"

"NCsoft’s CEO Kim wrote in an e-mail message to his employees on Monday that the firm is now joined by a “friend,” which will jointly dive into the global gaming market."

This person now works for ArenaNet.

Look at her job title, past work history and notice the connection. Now look at the recent changes to GW2 as they are outlined by the person I quoted.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I really am concerned about this path. I am very interested in GW2, love the game, but I don't know I want to support a company that is starting to use the model I hate with every bone in my body.

• tron21369tron21369 Member Posts: 73

i hear yeah i did the beta test my self what i did was made diff classes and lvl them up each day to get enough unlocked skills   like for under ater and on land   all and all they were all great  one asked which one was my fav   it was hard cuz iam more of a ranged type of guy  i poly go with ranger and necro    i love pets : )

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Fricken LOVED it. I need this game to exist already, everytime the beta ends it's depressing as hell knowing I have to wait to play it more.

It's better than the inital open beta, but I think ArenaNet  have a lot of work to do still on the game. Sure a lot of the casual crowd will do it, like you, who hop from beta to beta, inital release to inital release of whatever game comes out, but long-term GW2 needs to latch onto something to make it last. If ArenaNet are still going for the PvP rowd then they need to put into GW2 some form of PvP endgame to make players keep loging in. As it is once you complete GW2 there is little point to keep playing beyond very casually.